Sugar Shakers for followers of Sugar Busters and other GI based diets

View Poll Results: What exercise do you find that you enjoy doing the most?
Walking outside 13 50.00%
Walking on a treadmill 5 19.23%
Joggin or Running 2 7.69%
Swimming 3 11.54%
Biking (includes stationary bike) 0 0%
Weight Training 0 0%
Step Aerobics, Spinning or Kickboxing 1 3.85%
Yoga 0 0%
Stairmaster 0 0%
Other 2 7.69%
Voters: 26. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 05-14-2001, 08:14 PM   #16  

Default Happy Monday

Happy Belated Mother's Day to all who celebrated.

To join a pervious discussion...I am not a mother and don't feel slighted by the holiday. I see it as an opportunity to celebrate my own fabulous Mom. What DOES irk me is when people assume that because I am married (8.5 years) and am 35 y.o. that I want to have children. I am not sure at all and more inclined not to have them at this point in time. Please know that all of us heterosexual, happily married, over 30 women want to have children.

I feel so bloated today. I wore a great new outfit to work today and felt great except for my bulging GUT! It isn't that bad, but it just felt that way. Trying to drink plenty of water to flush whatever it is out.

It was nice to be home this weekend and get some things down around the house. In the next few weeks we will have new heating and air conditioning. The man from the company is here now doing the final walk through with hubby.

FILLESE Sorry that I never get your name right! I am looking forward to coming to Columbus. Can you meet on Friday for lunch? When you are in Kinston you gotta go to King's BBQ and have some yummy eats! I don't eat beef or pork and that is a great place to get turkey BBQ, yes TURKEY!!!! YUM!

LISA_A_A Are you near Columbus so that you can meet us for lunch?

SPARKLE Do I need to report you to the Mother Impersonator's Society?

Anyone out there know of a good method to soften those foot calluses (sp)? I keep trying but don't think that I am being consistent enough with the lotion and socks at night followed by the pumice stone in the a.m.

I am going to go spend some time with hubby since the HVAC man finally left. Look forward to reading your posts and chatting with you all again tomorrow night.

Peace,
Frog

Last edited by Frog Lover; 05-14-2001 at 09:51 PM.
Old 05-14-2001, 09:08 PM   #17  
karen3000

Happy Monday everyone!

Had a very busy weekend and wasn't around food much, so I didn't eat much and therefore my weight is back down again. Hope it lasts! Think I'm back in gear with this WOE again, but soon it will be TOM and then those crazy thoughts and the depression come again. So, who knows....but I'll keep on trying! My motivation for walking is severely lacking right now, too.

We are having a pizza party at work tomorrow, organized by me, 'cause one of the ladies had hip reconstruction and can't get around very well yet. I'm taking my own lunch, but that smell will be tempting. I will try to remember that pizza is one of the worst things we can eat and be glad that I won't be suffering from the after-effects!

Nothing else new here. Guess I'm just worn out from all the yard work we did yesterday. Redid the flagstone around the pond, potted the pond plants and all the other annuals I had. It was an all day project, since we had to go to the landscapers and get the extra stone. Pond looks nicer now, so glad we did it. In a few weeks we'll be adding some fish. It's fun to watch them zip around in there--what a life! Hubby fixed ribs on the smoker - YUM, YUM!

Frog - if you live near the beaches, walking in the sand is great (and great for the calf muscles also).

Karen

Old 05-14-2001, 10:01 PM   #18  

Karen - I don't live near the beaches, kinda glad I don't and sorta wish I did. I live about 3 hours from the southeastern beaches of NC. Last year I "semi-lived" down there with husband when his work took him to the coast. It was a dream existence for several months, but I missed my hardwood trees and sligthly lower humidity. Walking in the sand is a great exercise! Walking on the beach is fun but is not necessarily the best daily exercise because of the angle that you force your foot/ankle/knee into by walking on the slope left as the tides go out. But when you are down there (at the beach) in the hot months you can't take walking on the black-top because the heat and humidity are stiffling!

I have got to get back into my exercise routine!!! I have become to complacent and am lying in the bed until 6:30. I need to get up at 5:15 and start pounding the pavement. I have become too comfortable this week with my weight loss and have begun to eat SF ice cream and enjoy SF chocolates. I can't keep doing that! The weather here is perfect in the a.m.s for exercising out doors and my allergies are better. Just got to get in that bed before 11:00 so that I can be more productive. With that said I think I will say goodnight and hit the hay.

Gotta get in that training mode!!

Peace,
Frog
Old 05-14-2001, 10:08 PM   #19  
karen3000

Default Tuesday's Tips

Here are two tips from the realage.com website. This website has lots of great information and tools - check it out.

Calories and Cholesterol

Are you looking for a cholesterol-lowering diet? An eating plan that counts calories, not just fat grams, may be an important factor in your lipid profile.
According to a recent study, a low-calorie diet has the ability to lower bad cholesterol levels while raising good cholesterol. Eating a low-calorie diet and replacing the saturated fat in your diet with unsaturated fat may be your best health bet. However, diets that severely restrict fat intake may lower both good and bad cholesterol levels.

Get On the Stick

If you'd like to burn a few more calories during your daily walk, get yourself in pole position.
According to a recent study, people who adding walking poles to their workouts burned about 20% more calories than walkers who strolled empty-handed. What's more, walking poles can decrease the amount of stress that walking places on the knees and feet.

Have a great day!

Karen

Old 05-15-2001, 08:07 AM   #20  
Low Carb since 4/28/99

Default Thanks SO Much!

Thank you so much for your info last week on the Agave Nectar

ThatGirl
Old 05-15-2001, 09:25 AM   #21  

Rhroo: Thank you for the recipe and the pep talk. You are right the 150s definitely feel better than the 180s! Thank you for sharing your website. Both you and Colleen look wonderful!

fillise: Doesn't it feel great to be "losing your pants" so to speak, go shopping for a couple things before your trip, buying clothes in a smaller size then before is truly motivating and fun!

Nance: I have a scanner, if you want me to post pictures for you. It's Tuesday and as I'm feeling better now, I'm hearing your words. Thank you, my Monday motivation was inspired by you. I will make better choices. I have the choice to care about me and get healthy or not and I'm making the choice to get healthy. As I'm reading, I've discovered that you found Agave Nectar and know how to cook! I'm coming over, soon so you can teach me! Your Mother's Day meal sounds wonderful!

Cheri45: Good to see you.

BOB: Thanks for bumping the AOL list to the top and for the very interesting information on Southern manners. If I were wealthy, I think I would travel from state to state and learn about all these wonderfully interesting things. Thanks for sharing.

Debelli: The Outback was my temptation also, but you managed to control your urges, much better than I. Monday I spent quite ill, due to my inablity to make a wiser choice, as chocolate (yes I ate the dessert) is poison to me and due to my gastritis makes me quite ill. (I'm sure putting sugar into a sugarfree body didn't help the matter). Maybe it's a good thing that I got sick as I don't care to feel like this ever again). As my Monday motivation says. It's all about choices. We both seemed to get right back on the ball. I worked out Monday and today, and my friend is coming over tonight for a more intensive workout.

I'm caught up to yesterday and hope to get the rest in tonight. I can't just move on to today...any how we'll see what happens I won't be off until 6 and then Aaron comes to work me 'til I'm tired, and my nights are shorter because I get up so early...it's way past time to get ready for work.

Take care.

I'll think about my Tuesday Tip and post it later.

Lara
Old 05-15-2001, 09:34 AM   #22  
SUPER CHICK aka Moderator

Good Tuesday Morning Everyone!

Just got back from my walk of 4.5 miles, didn't do any running today and took it a bit slow.

Well, today being the 15th, I didn't meet my goal weight as I thought, or should I say, hoped I would by this date. No biggie, just moving it a little. I'll be happy if I make it next week, on May 22, that will be my 14month anniversary on SB, I'll even take the end of the month! Next week may not work for me, TOM should be here, so if I start moaning and groaning about a large gain, just remind me, it's temporary!!! Really, I'll be happy whenever it happens, just so it happens (soon).

If my weight stays the same as today, or goes down, for tomorrow, I'll finally be able to post on the WEEKLY WEIGHT LOSS BOARD, which I haven't been able to do so since 3/28-cross your fingers for me!

CHERI, glad to hear you had a nice time with you Mom and a nice dinner out Outback, one of my favorite places to eat. I always get the sweet potato there-delicious! Thanks for the tip on the raw sweetpotatoes, I'll have to try that idea, never even gave a thought about doing that. I found a recipe for Sweet Potato Fries that I'll try to post on the recipe board this week, it sounds yummy. Hmmm, that IS a lot of water according to Prevention, but I've seen other things saying you don't need that much-your body will tell you best how much is enough

LDBLOND, I love Ralph's site, and insights! That's where I get most of my MM posts from!!

FROG, UGH, I know that bloated feeling and I'm feeling like that today! Before that TOM comes rolling around, that pouch just seems to expand on me Are you meeting Susan (FILLIESE)????? You mention Kinston, is the Kinston, NC??? Had an old boyfriend who use to live there, maybe he still does-memories! Foot callouses, sounds like you are doing the norm, how about soaking them in some softening oil bath, if it doesn't do anything for them, at least it's sure to make them feel good!

KAREN, glad to see your weight is down, but you have to get back into a walking mode. Just get out there and once your out, you'll feel so much better - at least that works for me Thanks for the post from Realage, I always enjoy reading those!!

Well, I'm going to get something to eat. My Mom is coming over and we're going shopping, no place in particular, small stops. I think I'll take her to see Bridgette Jones' Diary today.

PLEASE TRY TO ATTEND TONIGHT'S CHAT AT 9:15pm EST!!! AND remember, TOMORROW IS WEIGH IN WEDNESDAY!!!!!! I hope the scales are kind to everyone!!

Toodles

Debbie
194/131/129
SB since 3/22/00
Old 05-15-2001, 10:14 AM   #23  
Wife, Mother, Goddess

Good Morning!

I have to get some java into me before the brain cells can think of a tip for today!

Rhroo
Loved the pictures of you and your friend. WOW!!!! You have both done great! That was really neat. I've been working on doing some scapbooking and it's fun to come across old pictures. I'm still best buds with two girls I went to HS with, and thank goodness we all live close to each other. Thanks for sharing!

ldblond
I just saw on thing on the news abougreen tea being extra beneficial for people who suffer from gasritis! Glad to hear you are feeling better. I don't want my Lara feeling icky! I probably won't get to e.mail you today because I have to do nursing...Martha is going to be out today and tomorrow, but I'll try to sneak on if I can

BOB
Where have you been??? No posting in what 2 days???
You didn't win a free vacation to the Bahamas and are getting a massage with coconut oil by some guy named Rico beachside are you? My buddy Ann, the fellow Kentucian, was born in Ashland, and brought up in Louisville. She "enlightened" me that southern woman never reveale (sp?) their weight or age, and I said "That's BOB!" I just wanted to share I wore linen pants on Sunday, if that puts me in your good graces

GatorGal
Are you speaking to me? How about I give you credit that my icon looks like a guinea pig?!? I haven't had enough time to finish looking through clip art. Debbie told me about a couple of sites and I could spend hours on them!

Sparklescamp
Thanks for sharing your fears re: loosing weight. Sounds like there are lots of things people can identify with. You had one notion "A fantasy fullfilled, is a fantasy lost" which struck me. Made me think. I think it's because we all are enjoying this journey and connection with each other, but just because we reach goal, doesn't mean we won't need the support, and friendships will remain!

I just wanted to share with everyone that I tried the recipe from the January recipe board posted by "Beerlady" for Bacon and Cheese Stuffed Chicken. It honestly didn't appeal to me when looking at it, but my husband (being supportive) made a SB dinner while I was still at work and that's what he picked. It was the BEST CHICKEN I"VE EVER HAD!!!. The sauce is delicious. It's made with chicken breasts, which I usually don't care for, but it came out so moist, so delicious....I encourage you girls to try it!!! Thanks Beerlady, where ever you are!
Old 05-15-2001, 12:14 PM   #24  
aka Zippy LiverFace

Default ON THE ROAD AGAIN!

Well, they worked me out yesterday at the gym, but he underestimated the weight that I was able to do on all the machines. That made me feel good, I think. I'm in better shape than I appear to be? GATORGAL poked her head in, but didn't stay. Jim said she was probably ready to go since she'd already been there today. It was good to wave to you, GATORGAL!

I signed up for gym and scheduled my 6 1-on-1 30 minute sessions for this week and next week. Then I'm going to add 12 1-on-1 15 minute sessions and probably do 2 a week and then 1x/week on my own and hopefully I'll be ready and disciplined enough to go on my own after that. Vince is going to join too, but because our work schedules are so different we won't be going at the same time, but that could be a good thing.

He wants me to eat 1300 calories/week for a week then go down by 100 calories/week until I'm at 1000/week and then we start coming back up. I didn't get to ask him why. I took a spreadsheet of my diet from last week for him to look at and he said it looked like I was only eating about 1000 calories/day unless I was leaving stuff out. I thought I was eating more than that, but maybe not. No wonder I've been so hungry!!

They do weights very slowly and to failure - which should be 10-12 reps. Then you move quickly to the next set of weights and do them to failure, very slowly and with proper form. I like it and I like them counting and keeping up with the # of reps. All I have to do is lift - they count and encourage.

Well, we're moving back into our building!!! I'm back home!! My desk is set up, but my monitor was lost in the shuffle and chaos from having to move and I've snatched the best one I could find in the building. It's not too bad, but it's not mine.... I've got to go help the rest of IS move the computers and hook them up for everyone else in the company. So I'll get a work out today too.

I'll check back later, but depending on how long we're moving I may not make it to chat tonight.

The following is from an unknown author; it was on our weekly e-mail from our receptionist celebrating the birthdays and work anniversaries of the week:

Principles for Building Life-Muscle
Principle 1: Get to know yourself. You are your own best asset in the struggle to survive and manage the stresses and hardships of life. The less you know about who you are the more unprepared for life you will be. I once spotted a bumper sticker that read, “If you think education is expensive, try ignorance.” What else can I say?
Principle 2: Learn to communicate your thoughts and feelings. Communication is crucial to success and survival. Effective communication includes the ability to share your thoughts clearly and identify and describe your feelings directly and openly. One without the other creates misunderstanding and confusion.
Principle 3: Learn to listen. About 90 percent of effective, stress-reducing communication is good listening. Most of us rate poor to horrible as listeners. A good listener will have far less stress and confusion in his or her life than someone who cannot listen well. Listening is an art that must be practiced regularly. It's worth your time and effort.
Principle 4: Develop the ability to “be with” your feelings. “Being with” a feeling means to feel the feeling in all its intensity and depth without acting on it. Learn to be angry, feel angry, know you are angry and just “be with” the feeling without taking your anger out on yourself or others. You can learn to do this with every difficult feeling you have. Once you have begun to master “being with” a feeling, you will be able to communicate it appropriately and productively. Otherwise your feelings will probably control you, your thinking and your behavior.
Principle 5: Expect life to happen. This means that you must not imagine that the difficulties of life will pass you by. Stop hiding from the fact that sooner or later hardship will appear. Accidents happen, people get sick, loved ones die, financial problems arise, jobs disappear and on and on. We cannot stop life from doing its unpredictable and often disconcerting thing. We can, however, pull our heads out of the proverbial sand and build the strengths and skills to deal with hardship.
Principle 6: Create a support system. No one gets through this thing alone; you and I are no exception. Don’t wait for catastrophe to occur before you take the time and effort to establish meaningful and supportive relationships with family and friends. As my teacher Rumi used to say, “Even a visit to the tax collector is easier when a friend walks with you.” Build the friendship before the taxman calls. Afterwards it's too late.
Principle 7: Take care of your body. This one is obvious. If you are interested in weight loss you are already on your way. But don’t forget exercise, sleep, nutritious foods, and lots of water. Life-muscle is always supported by body strength.
Principle 8: Admit you have stress limits and live within them. We get into lots of trouble when we live as if we have no physical, mental and emotional limits. Learn to say NO and mean it. Learn to ask for help when things are too much for you. Don’t accept responsibilities you cannot handle at work or at home. Don’t build a house while you are getting divorced or move to another state right after you have lost a loved one or buy a new car when you are having trouble paying the mortgage.
Principle 9: Decide that all of life’s experiences have meaning, lessons and gifts... and look for them! If you are going to apply only one principle from the list, I suggest this be the one. This is the quickest and best life-muscle builder I have found. It will help you survive and even prosper during and after the most difficult hardships that you can imagine. It takes courage to apply but after a while it becomes a natural reaction. The more you do it the easier it is and the greater the rewards.
Principle 10: Develop an intimate relationship with a spirituality that has significant depth and breadth. Too many of us have a “foxhole spirituality.” We wait until the stuff hits the fan and then we beg the powers that be to save us while promising things we will never be able to do. The best thing you can do is plan ahead and expect that one day -- sooner than you think -- you will be in a major jam. Find a meaningful spiritual source now and develop a regular relationship with it. Human beings are essentially spiritual in nature and we need to develop this life-muscle to both survive and prosper.

Each of these principles will make a positive difference in your ability to confront and manage the stresses of your life. Please take the time to consider each one. I will leave you with one last quote from Carlos Casteneda's Journey to Ixtlan:

“We either make ourselves miserable or we make ourselves strong. The amount of work is the same.”
Old 05-15-2001, 04:34 PM   #25  
Wife, Mother, Goddess

BOB
I didn't realize you made an ICON thread. That's so cool!
Thanks for my coffee! I am having so much fun going to clip-art sights, it's a whole other world within itself!
Debbie even sent me a tip sheet on how to convert art files into regular files. I've got a couple doozie pictures saved! Do you subscribe to any of the sights? I'm just curious if you do if their stuff is any better than the free gifs? Sometimes I feel like I am clicking forever before I get to the actual PICTURES!!! But it's still fun. I was glued to the computer for 5 hours the other day checking things out. Boy was my butt sore afterwards.
Had to go for a walk...guess that was a good thing!
Old 05-15-2001, 06:21 PM   #26  

Evening All

Had a nice day out with my Mom today. We made lots of little stops up in Broward, the next county up. Went to Ole Ole for lunch, a Jewish market, an Italian market, Carbolite (of course), hmmm, seems our day was centered around food! We came home and ended up not going to the movies (another day) and Mom made the WW Sponge Cake that I have posted on the recipe board- IT'S DELICIOUS!!!!!!!!! I must confess, I had 2 pieces already, I'm such a pig! I'm going to attempt to make some SB legal whipped cream and use that and some of the beautiful strawberries I got today to put on top of it-though I better wait for tomorrow!!

Hey, where is everyone. The board sure got quiet over the weekend, and it's flowing over to the week. Does this mean too many people went off the wagon?

NANCE, thanks for letting us know about that chicken recipe. I love hearing people tell the board that they've made a recipe and they like it.

SOL, I'm sure I speak for all the board in saying how proud we are of you for going to the gym and really giving it your all. I would like to do what you are doing one day soon. Please make sure you keep us updated on your progress Thanks for posting those PRINCIPALS, they make good sense!

I'll be back on later for the CHAT AT 9:15PM EST hope many of you can make it.

Again, a reminder TOMORROW IS WEIGH IN WEDNESDAY!!!!

Debbie
194/131/129
SB since 3/22/00
Old 05-15-2001, 06:37 PM   #27  

Here's the link to the SB CHAT ROOM!!!

SUGAR BUSTERS CHAT ROOM
Old 05-15-2001, 08:10 PM   #28  
BIG ORANGE FOOTBALL RULES

Default EVENING EVERYBUDDY!!!

Just a quick note......

FROGGIE That thong has cut your water off!! and now you're all "swolled" up! It's pushed everything up!
THOSE FEET???? Gotta make up your mind....are you [i]citified with no "corns"....or are you going to remain true blue to being a "hillbillie woman" with corns???
YOU DON'T EAT NC BBQ????.....I'm appalled!!!!

NANCE LINEN BEFORE MEMORIAL DAY or AFTER LABOR DAY!!
No, I don't suscribe to anyting, I just search for little pictures that I like...

I'll try to make chat...Lately, I'm just so tired...It's all this d a m n fat I've gained....Had a bad day today and wanted to SMOKE......but I didn't...

BOB
Old 05-15-2001, 09:15 PM   #29  
karen3000

Another tip from realage.com

Lean and Green

Drinking a cup of green tea with meals not only ups your intake of cancer-fighting antioxidants, but it also may help you melt pounds.
In a study, people who consumed green tea extract before meals increased their calorie burning by about 4%. Researchers speculate that the polyphenols in green tea may enhance fat oxidation and help promote thermogenesis, the process by which the body burns fuel, such as fat, to produce heat.

RealAge Benefit: Getting the right amount of antioxidants through diet or supplements can make your RealAge 6 years younger.

Old 05-15-2001, 09:22 PM   #30  

Default DIGICHAT - More like Digi - "fat chance!"

Tried to chat. Couldn't get signed on for more than a second or two. Others were frustrated and kept leaving. Deb, they've got to do something about that or do away with it until they get the kinks worked out!

Will try to get those pics scanned at work by Thursday afternoon to share with you guys.

Later friends!

Peace,

Frog
Closed Thread