Sugar Shakers for followers of Sugar Busters and other GI based diets

View Poll Results: Which CHICKEN &/OR CANNED TUNA do you eat (pick one from each)
Only white meat chicken 12 40.00%
Only dark meat chicken 3 10.00%
I'll eat either type of chicken, I like them both 12 40.00%
I don't eat chicken 0 0%
Chunk lite tuna in water 5 16.67%
Chunk lite tuna in oil 0 0%
White/Albacore tuna in water 9 30.00%
White/Albacore tuna in oil 0 0%
I'll eat either type of tuna in oil, I like them both 1 3.33%
I'll eat either type of tuna in water, I like them both 8 26.67%
I'll eat either type of tuna in water OR oil, like them all 0 0%
I don't eat tuna 5 16.67%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 07-11-2003, 12:57 PM   #121  

S/C/G: 285/210/130

Height: 5'1

Rosalie
I'm hanging at 202 now. been trying to get below 200. You said it took you a year to get under 200. Were you honest to God 100% by the book legal or were you mostly legal?
Did you do anything different to get below 200 or it just finally give up and go away? LOL

Lucky144
Salad dressing: according to the book low fat dressings usually have more sugar. You want a dressing with no added sugars (that includes high fructose corn syrup) or less then 3 grams of sugar. Of course the best way to go is no sugar. I usually don't worry about calories (maybe that's why my weight loss is slow). I'm not in a huge rush to lose, just want to eat right, be healthy. I'm in this for the long run.
Old 07-11-2003, 02:11 PM   #122  

Debbie -- my member name is just one that I also use on other boards, in particular one I moderate (or I'm one of the moderators, rather) that discusses the Disney Haunted Mansion(s) in EVERY possible aspect. *lol* So, we all have sort of spooky names over there. If anyone else here loves the mansion, come on over and check out Doombuggies.com sometime!
Old 07-11-2003, 02:12 PM   #123  
Undercover Diva

S/C/G: 242/ticker/175

Height: 5'6"

Default Howdy!

Well... I'm checking in... and it's taken me like 4 hours to read everything with this stupid computer messing up!!

LAURA - When I started SB, I was 205-210 pounds and a size 20/22. If I'm not mistaken, it was only 6 months later I was 175 pounds and a size 14/16... so if you do the math I lost 3-4 sizes in about 25 pounds...LOL does that make sense? The funny thing is, I got all the way back up to 200 pounds when I fell off plan the last few months, and could still wear some 14's and 16's. I'm in a comfortable 16 now at 194. I'm 5'8" and am very busty and 'hippy' carry most weight in the waist to knee section all the way around (except I have no butt, it's all hips and thighs). Does taht help? I'd say 15 pounds drops you a COMFORTABLE size if you're built and lose like me.

As for that... I didn't make WIW, but I'm down from 200 to 194... so 6 pounds in a little over a week back OP. I did cheat one day and had some pizza, BUT... I DID NOT use it as a reason to stay OFF plan, I jumped right back on... I think I have my motivation back!!! WOOHOOOOO!

I have found some Lite 'n Lively SMOOTHIES. It's sugar free yogurt, only made into a drinkable smoothie form. I take them to work when I want something sweet, like a milkshake... down it goes! The BERRY is the best, but peach mango is great too! I got tropical for the kids, and didn't try it because it has pineapple in it, although I'm sure the amount in there is not enough to do much to me...

Well... I'm off... this computer is driving me nuts, as I type... I only see the line about 3 sentences back, and it shows the letters as I'm typing ... it's ANNOYING!!!

Hope everyone has a great weekend, and stays OP!!!
Old 07-11-2003, 04:16 PM   #124  
SUPER CHICK aka Moderator

Hey All

Just got off the phone with BOB! It was a nice surprise to get a phone call from her

Went to yoga today, didn't stay for relaxation or meditation, too many things to get done and that saved me a half hour.

Usually I don't look at the various e-mails I get from diet sites I get, but I happened to open one of them up today and found an interesting article about a book called FATTITUDES What name! Anyhow, there's a SELF-TEST on there that, for Monday's poll, I want everyone to take and then report their numbers, which will be listed on the poll. I'll post the link to the site and the test on Monday, it takes less than a minute, nothing too intense for a Monday, I promise! Anyhow, I reserved a copy of the book from the library and hope it comes before I leave for DC/MD so I have something to read in the evening.

Anyhow, from the website, there was some interesting information that I thought I'd post for you all to read...

Understanding Fattitudes

A fattitude is a thought or pattern of thinking that leads to self-defeating behavior in weight management efforts. Fattitudes can lurk in the dark corners of your mind, exerting a powerful influence over your behavior and choices, even though they stay out of sight. Having hidden fattitudes is a lot like boxing with the Invisible Woman: You can't see the punch, but you sure can feel the pain.

How do you know if you suffer from fattitudes? Here are some common symptoms:

You can't seem to stay on track with healthy eating

It feels like there's a war raging inside your body and mind

Your exercise habit lasts only a few days or weeks

Just when things are going well, something "happens" to knock you off course

You want very much to slim down, but losing weight makes you feel anxious

You sabotage your own success

Sound familiar? Unfortunately, fattitudes are so common they can be considered the universal obstacle to healthy weight management.

Some of the more prevalent fattitudes include:

"I know there's a quick fix out there, I just haven't found it yet."

"This will never work."

"If I could just lose this weight, everything would be all right."

"My eating is out of control."

"I don't have time to exercise."

Fattitudes can even show up in intimate relationships, causing couples unwittingly to work together to ensure failure:

"I need my partner to be fat (or weak or dependent) so s/he won't leave me."

"If you can't control yourself, I'll do it for you."

"Let's focus on your problems so we don't have to look at mine."

The only way to achieve lasting success with weight
management is to find and foil your fattitudes.

Empowered Eating

What is empowered eating?

Empowered eating is a guiding philosophy and life strategy that can restore a sense of stability to all who struggle with food. The core of empowered eating is a combination of three eating attitudes:

· Responsibility
· Mindfulness
· Purposefulness

Empowered eating means that we recognize our own ability to take charge of life, that we are in the driver's seat and can give ourselves credit for our successes and accept fault for our failures. It means nobody else can do it for us, and if we don't take the lead, nothing will get done. In addition, the empowered eater strives to be fully aware of feelings and issues that are associated with eating behavior. It means we tune into our internal lives so we can better understand why we do what we do. Empowered eating also means learning to view all eating as goal-directed and as the result of a decision making process.

We make choices; choices don't make us. We can choose to eat low fat; we can choose to indulge in sweets; we can choose to restrict our caloric intake below a level that's healthful. It's up to us. Our choices reflect our goals, our priorities, our attitudes, and our emotions. Our choices are complicated by the influence of both conscious and unconscious factors, so what we decide to do and what we decide to eat may not always make sense to us at first glance. At times, our eating goal may be simply to nourish our body and provide fuel, but at others the goal may be purely emotional and aimed at psychological coping. If we understand the purpose of our eating, even the most chaotic of food frenzies can be made comprehensible.

Being an empowered eater doesn't mean you never again overeat because of emotional stress; it does mean, however, that when you do overeat you're at least aware that you're doing it, and hopefully also understand why

Some really GREAT information!

VERY EXCITED! Was surfing the web in regards to nutritional information and happened to stumble across a website with a couple unusual products. Called the company as I wanted to look in to this a bit more in depth. Got a call from one of the company owners who's name, I totally forgot. He was very helpful and informative and said he was going to send me out some samples to try to test in different foods so I could give a more in-depth review of them. As soon as the information/samples arrive, I'll be happily sharing all the info with you. Yeah, I know, I'm a tease

Okay, now for some replies...

GATOR, I hope that MONET calls you-you'll love meeting her, she's very sweet and the way the two of you can cook already makes you a great pair! Good for you for getting in your walk, you're a lot better than I!

ROSALIE, What wonderful news to see your post and that you lost another 2lbs and are seeing a new weight! BRAVO Hmm, will have to see if my HFS has that RICE AND SHINE. How does the taste compare to real corn grits? I've seen soy grits, but not that.

JACKK, I gave LAUREN your good wishes for her performance tonight. It amazes me just how confident she is-can't wait to see her! Hoping DD is having fun in Destin, has she called yet? OMG, ask BOB about ELI, ask TRAQUIL and SERENE about ELI-if you don't live with it, it's funny as all heck, but when you live with it, you try not to laugh-it incourages his odd behavior!!!

HEART, I'm hoping my GM will come through. I've read some things to dispell that he can do this but what the heck, I do believe it in because she's come to me once in the past, so to each his own. Heck, just looking forward to getting away with ELI alone for the weekend!!! I agree, some people carry their weight better than others. When I met ROSALIE I couldn't believe that she weighed as much as she said she does, I would think she was 20lbs less. Me, I carry my weight all over, but mostly in my stomach, I think. Good going on not only the extra 1/2lb, but in receiving all those compliments

LUCKY, I'm sure a few people will be happy to post a menu or two for you when they get a chance. As for the salad dressing, I guess you need to look first for the type/flavor you want, then read the labels. The dressing I buy has no added sugar at all, it's not really fattening at 6grams of fat per 2tbls, esp. since I only use 1tbl. I'd go for the dressing that has no sugar included with the least amount of fat. I recently tried the Walden Farms french, and I particularly don't care for French, and I really like it! No sugar, no carbs, no fat! Okay, duh, I can show you what I've eaten so far today:

2.8oz fresh figs
1oz fiber one
2oz soy milk
1 hb egg
1 tbl sf ketchup
3oz chicken breast
.3oz lf mayo
2.0 endive
1 sf jello cup

Not sure what dinner will consist of yet, maybe a potpie, but I'll probaby go make a salad in a few with 2-3oz of mixed greens, tomato, etc. with some dressing.

GHOST, you are THAT crazy about DW Haunted House? You all must be so psyched about the movie coming out. Glanced at the site for a moment - SPOOKY!!!!!! So, tell us a bit more about your passion for the HH!!!

BETH, fantastic loss since you've been back! CONGRATS! The L&L Smoothies sound good - what are they sweetened with? That gives me the idea to make a smoothie, I have yogurt, fruit and stevia - yum! Hope you get the computer fixed soon.

Well gals, it's a bit after 4 down here and this will probably be the last post til I get home sometime Sunday evening, probably won't be back on til I come to start the new board on Monday morning, so with that, I hope you all have a wonderful OP weekend. I'm planning on staying 100% OP. With TRANQUIL not only finding the time to post while she's away, BUT, with her staying OP as well, it's a testament that if you want to do it bad enough, it can be done and I'm gong to follow in her footsteps and make sure I don't waiver one bit

{{{HUGS}}}

Debbie
Old 07-11-2003, 04:47 PM   #125  

A quickie for Debbie before she leaves on her trip.

Deb - I'll be sending good thoughts your way tomorrow and hope something comes through for you. It certainly isn't trivial when it means so much to you. Good luck to Lauren with the play tonite. They were some good FF's you posted, particularly the one about the 92 yr. old. I did look at all the recipes you posted. You were a busy gal yesterday. Most of them I am afraid to try at the moment as I am trying to keep those starchy carbs down. Maybe when I have lost a few more pounds I will give some of them a try. Sorry I can't compare the Rice & Shine to corn grits as I have never tasted corn grits. It's not something we eat up here.

Have a good weekend.

Marie.
Old 07-11-2003, 05:19 PM   #126  
BIG ORANGE FOOTBALL RULES

AFTERNOON EVERY BUDDY!!!

Just got home from the salt mines...it's been a terrible week over there...you would think that things would slow down in the summer, but I swear.....there is no slowing down!!!

Talked to the DUNGEON MISTRISS this afternoon...we had a good thirty minute ying yang session! I just know that she's gonna hit it big at the EDWARDS SPOOKATHON in Orlando...
I'm sending good thoughts her way for that...
She told me that the week she's gone school shopping that I can be THE BOB AT ARMS and keep the board in order....I promise not to carry a gun
but I'll have my SB BADGE on every day!

Kate has a pot of ROAST BEEF HASH on the stove, and she wanted me to fix her a pan of cornbread....
It smells so good!

GHOST....I absolutely LOVE THE MANSION, but I heard they were taking it out of the WDW park...have you heard anything about that? That area of the park is my favorite...HALL OF PRESIDENTS is my all time favorite, and the PIRATES OF THE CARRIBEAN is running a close third....I'll check out your other website...

BETH...sorry that you're still having computer problems...sounds like you need to completely clean out your hard drive and start again by reloading your programs....

ROSALIE....CONGRATS on your loss...WAY TO GO GIRL!!!

JACKIE....where are you woman.....I always look forward to your going home post!!!

DEB...that FATITUDES thing sounds just like me....always making excuses!
HAVE A GREAT TIME OVER THERE!!!!!

GATOR.....GOT THE GIFT!!!!

FROG....COME ON NOW...you can do better than one post a day!
Tell MR FROG I said CONGRATS on the promotion!!!

No good movies to rent this weekend...I'm all caught up until next week....can't wait to see GODS AND GENERALS.....I just love the Civil War period...should be really good!

Better get in there and pull that cornbread out of the oven....

Later

BOB
Old 07-11-2003, 06:09 PM   #127  

Hi Everyone

Teensy - I do eat beets occasionally although I only eat them pickled. I don't think their gi is too bad - it is 64 - and a 3 oz serving only has 6.7 gms of carbs and a Glycemic Load of 4.3. I read somewhere recently that a glycemic load of 10 or less is acceptable.

Jack-K - Doesn't that tick you off when you lose a post like that. I usually type mine in using word and save as I go along so if anything happens I at least would have some of it saved. Although I have lost it all in the past. Sometimes I just forget to do it.

Heartmom - I started at 240 lbs and by the time I had lost 40 lbs I had gone down three sizes. I am 5ft.71/2 inches. I now usually wear a 14 top and 16 bottom depending on the brand. Some 12's (bottoms) I can wear and then some 18's are too snug.

Lucky - Here's one sample menu. I always use regular dressing although I don't like too much dressing. I don't like the taste of the low fat ones apart from the fact that they have added sugar.

Oatmeal 1/4 cup (dry)
Milk - 8 oz 1%
Back Bacon - 3 oz
Two fried eggs
Tomato
Oatcakes - 3
Fruit spread - 1 tbs.
Cheddar cheese 1 oz.
5 oz Chicken breast
Salad with lettuce, 1/4 cup raw carrots. celery, cucumber.
Coleslaw dressing - 1 tbs.
Orange
2 tbs almonds (with chicken salad)
Yellow split peas - 1/4 cup dry made into soup.
Half cup canned peaches in juice.

Will try to post a couple more menus later.

Cherylco - I was never 100% totally op. I started this woe about 3 1/2 years ago when I weighed 240 pounds. I lost about 10-15 pounds fairly quickly then stalled for a while then started losing again. It will be two years in September that I first got down to 200 pounds and have been going up and down ever since. I think for me the biggest problem are the starchy carbs like bread, pasta, rice etc. I started off with Montignac then went over to SB because of the support boards. Although they are basically the same woe SB does allow more starchy carbs, although I know the menus in the book are for maintenance and not for losing. I think Montignac is clearer about what you need to do to lose compared to mainaining. Anyway Deb suggested that maybe I wasn't eating enough and referred me to a web site where you could figure out how many calories you should be taking in for your present weight and activity. I started again using Fit-day and aimed for about 18-1900 calories a day. (The website had recommended 1998 calories for me to lose.) Anyway I did Fit-day religiously for several weeks and made sure I took in enough calories but tried to get most of them in by dinner time. I tried to keep the carbs to about 40% of my daily calories which would be about 180 grms daily. Most of my carbs came from veggies, fruit and legumes. I would have starchy carbs in the a.m., usually oatmeal or oatbran cereal and maybe snack on oatcakes in the p.m. if I needed to get the calories up. Maybe once a week or so I would have pasta and occasionally I will make a dessert like the peach cobbler or apple brown betty. I frequently eat lentils and beans. Anyway after doing this for a couple of weeks I started to lose. I've really been good lately with not snacking too much in the evening. I find as long as I take enough calories in by dinner time I don't usually need to snack. If I do feel like something in the evening I will have a piece of fruit or maybe some peanuts. So if I can just keep this up..........

Beth - WTG on losing 6 pounds this week.

BOB - That beef hash sounds good. How about sending some over here, I don't feel like cooking tonite! You'd better wait and see if I get the board up and running before you get the SB badge out.

Well I'd better get off of here and go clean up the kitchen.

Byre for now.

Marie.
Old 07-11-2003, 07:47 PM   #128  

Red face

Boy am I tired!! The appraiser never showed up at the old house, so I took some time to clean up a few things over there and move some more of the few items that were left. Then came home to start unpacking more boxes. Later 2 friends showed up and held me arrange the living room and make it "manly" for Mr. Frog. Want to create a "log" feel for our fly fishing and winter interests. They did a great job!

Welllllll..... that took ALL day and I am wooped! Waiting now on a little dinner. Have had a good week, only cheated with some hush puppies, a piece of gum and a well earned cocktail!

Am now wearing a LOVELY set of upper and lower retainers in to correct a rearrangement of teeth since my braces came of along time age. Feels like I have braces all over again. Thank Heavens we can eat pimento cheese b/c soft sandwiches are all I'm interested in!

DEB - Didn't see your posts regarding John Edwards! Good luck with that!

More later, dinner is almost ready!

Peace,
FROG
Old 07-11-2003, 09:31 PM   #129  

Good evening evryone,
It was a good day in the SB dept anyway. My sister had an emergency appendectomy last night, went to see her, she's all doped up and sleepy....
But, I did well with my food today, and went to the gym, did the strength training circuit and 2.25 miles on the elliptical machine.
And it's our anniversary on Monday, so we're sort of making a weekend celebration out of it. Went to dinner tonight(ate a popover), and we're going out again tomorrow night(fancy dress-up dinner and dancing), but the menu looks do-able, and I'll walk on the treadmill in the morning.
It's so wonderful to hear how everyone is doing! This WOE is definitely easy to maintain, and the rest of my family doesn't seem to mind some of the changes at all. I actually look forward to getting on the scale, even at 241.5. I weigh less now than when we got married 2 years ago, wish I had done this then!
Have a great night everyone,
Barbara
Old 07-11-2003, 10:23 PM   #130  

Hi Everyone...

Well I had to travel again today for work so once again my lunch meal was in a 4 hour meeting and not much choice. I did get to chose the grilled chicken sandwich and just didn't eat the bread.

Deb have a great time and my thoughts are with you. I may be able to check in first thing in the morn but then I will be off.

Bob you'll do a great job. Are you getting excited for football season. I know when I get back from the beach I will be ready for the fall fun!

Well I have to run. I'm packing and washing clothes tonight. We have six people going and 2 cars so I will have to be very bossy to get everyone going and make sure we have everything.

Think about me while I'm away and send good thoughts that I will stay OP!

Anna
222/180/140
Old 07-11-2003, 10:46 PM   #131  

Lucky - Here's another couple of days menu samples.

1. B. Oatbran cereal 1/4 cup cooked with 7 oz. 1% milk. Topped with 1/2 cup blueberries or raspberries.

Sn. Orange

L. 4 oz minced lean beef cooked with 1/2 cup black beans and seasonings with Caesar Salad. 1 apple cut up and nuked with a dash of lemon and cinnamon.

Sn. 2 WASA Rye crackers with 1 tbs each cream cheese and Smuckers Fruit Spread.

D. 6 oz. Salmon baked with onion, tomato and seasonings. 1/2 cup each of cooked carrots, cauliflower and broccoli.

2 ozs 5% cream for coffee and 8 oz. 1% milk.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

2. B. Red River cereal with 7 oz. 1% milk. 1 oz. 5% cream in coffee.

Sn. 1 oz cheddar cheese and 1/2 cup canned peaches in juice.

L. 1/2 can salmon with lettuce, celery, cucumber and tomato and 1 tbs dressing. 1 cup strawberries.

Sn. 1/4 cup peanuts and/or 1/2 cup grapes.

D. 5 oz. baked ham with 1 cup broccoli and 1 cup cauliflower. Blueberry Buckle, made with recipe from Recipe Board.

Another 8 oz 1% milk.

Frog - Sounds like you have done well with your eating this week. Hope you are soon settled into your new house.

Woodfrogs - Sorry to hear about your ds. Hope she is on the mend. Sounds like you have a very busy weekend coming up. Have fun.

Beachfan - Have a wonderful time on your vacation. Will be thinking about you while you are gone and sending vibes for you to stay op.

All for now.

Marie.
Old 07-11-2003, 11:01 PM   #132  

Just got home from the show, in one word FANTASTIC!!!!!

Gotta go pack, leaving at 5am!!!

{{{HUGS}}}

Deb
Old 07-12-2003, 04:23 AM   #133  

BYE!!!!
Old 07-12-2003, 10:35 AM   #134  

Default Morning!

Gorgeous day here, like a nice Spring Morning in Florida - too bad this weather won't be able to be packed up and travel with me. On the road this afternoon back to Florida - long trip! I will probably sleep in Virginia this evening, and then early a.m. drive the rest....

Yesterday I had ww toast slice for breakfast, a ww turkey sandwich with mustard only, and dinner was eggplant in Little Italy at Luna's - I did not touch bread or have any appetizers. We did a lot of walking!!! I am looking forward to a visit with my scale at home

Deb - Hope you have a wonderful time!

Rosalie - I agree the movie was stinky!

Bob - I had not heard about them taking down the Haunted Mansion, with the movie coming out this winter, I cannot imagine them doing so.... maybe they will just revamp it ... like they did to the Pirates a few years back?

Frog - that is not very Kosher, the appraiser not showing up! I cannot tell you how much I loved the appraiser who came to my house last - he was wonderful, left the house with a smile on his face, said everything is okay - and I got a great appraisal, felt as good as losing a pound! hahahaha!!! I just refinanced the house so that I could make repairs and remodeling...

Woodfrog - Sorry to hear about your sis! Hope she is up and bouncing around soon! My son had an emergency append last October...they sure don't make you sit in bed very long Keep up the good work with SB!

Lucky - I use dressings that have no Sugar - I have also learned to use less dressing on my salad - have it on the side to dip my fork into - so if it is high in fat - I don't get lots of it on my salad....
I think it is Walden Farms that makes a low fat/low cal/no sugar dressing...

Beth - Congrats on the 6 pounds!!!!!

Heart - That is great that you are losing - keep up the good work!

Time for me to get away from the computer and start my BUSY day - ughhhh - driving!!!!! 990 miles to go!

Ta ta! Sabrina
Old 07-12-2003, 11:02 AM   #135  
BIG ORANGE FOOTBALL RULES

MORNING EVERY BUDDY!!!!

Let me first tell you that when Debbie and ELI get on the road to go somewhere, there is NEVER A DULL MOMENT!!!!
Their morning started out typical.....racing around to get on the road....Debbie was getting ready...put that dainty little foot in that panty girdle that she wears everywhere...caught her little toe in the elastic....AND KEPT ON PULLING....until she SNAPPED HER LITTLE TOE!!! That's a keeper....BROKE HER TOE ON HER GIRDLE!!!!
Then they pack up the RENTED TAHOE
and get on the road....ELI swears they have enough gas,
She should know better by now!!! THEY RAN OUT OF GAS...and they were 1 1/2 MILES FROM AN EXIT!!!!! She called AAA and they said under an hour.....when that passed..she called them again....thirty minutes.....called them again....15 minutes.....THEN THE STATE TROOPER STOPPED......I'm sure he thought they were DRUG DEALERS in that big blacked out windowed TAHOE!!!
HE ACTUALLY RAN THEIR INFO!!!! The AAA man FINALLY got there and they are now back on the road....They were just outside COCOA BEACH getting on the BEELINE!!!!! Keep your fingers crossed that they don't run into any more distractions!!!!

I can't top that story, my day will be putzing around the house...cloudy and looks like rain over here...SKEETER WILL GET A BATH!!!! Only he doesn't know it yet....I have to sneak up on him at some point during the day!!!

Hope everyone has a great day!!!

BOB
Closed Thread