Sugar Shakers for followers of Sugar Busters and other GI based diets

View Poll Results: What is your favorite condiment?
Butter/Margarine 7 21.21%
Ketchup 4 12.12%
Mustard 5 15.15%
Mayo/Sandwich Spread 3 9.09%
Hot Sauce 3 9.09%
Relish 1 3.03%
BBQ Sauce 1 3.03%
Sour Cream 0 0%
Salad Dressing 4 12.12%
Trojan 2 6.06%
Other 3 9.09%
Voters: 33. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 02-09-2003, 10:44 AM   #121  

Default Sunday Morning

Good Morning Everybody!

Just popping in to see how you all are doing. Not much going on around here. Last night we went to that Beatles Tribute show and it was terrible! First of all, they looked goofy in bd fitting suits and ever worse fitting wigs. Fake British accents. I thought if I closed my eyes, then it wouldn't be so bad, but musically they stunk. So it was terribly disappointing, but they were so bad that it got kind of funny. We didn't even stay until the end. Plus the smoke was terrible there. I really hate that part of going out.

MONET---I've done that wallpaper peeling thing and it's the pits. Luckily our room had none. Personally, I will never used wallpaper because it's a bear to get off when you grow tired of it and I think it's a bad selling point for a house. So your work on that room was much harder than mine. Luckily Paul helped yesterday and that made the process much faster. The only thing left is a second coat on the stairway walls and then priming and painting the white gloss paint on the built-in book shelves. That will take the longest to do. Hopefully next Friday I can do the priming. So sorry to hear that the sweets got the better of you. I don't see how you do it. That's like working in a candy store and trying to live SB legal. Do you get nervous when you're making the wedding cakes, worried that something will go wrong? I'm just wondering if there's some stress-eating going on there for you. I would think there'd be a lot of pressure on the cake maker to have a perfect cake ready for such a momentous occasion. But now that I have brought up that point, I have no suggestions for how to solve the problem. Sorry! But thankfully, your wonderful hubby helped you out. That was great!

TRANQ---I think a new scale that belongs only to you alone is just the ticket. Go and splurge because you are worth it! Feel better soon.

MELF---Glad to hear your daughter's big day turned out well. How much fun for her and you! I had to laugh when you offered up y our bathroom for painting. That's next on my list. When I first moved in here, I painted the bathroom, but didn't know I should prime that oil-based surface. So now I have beautiful sponge painting on one part of it and not-so-beautiful peeling paint in the shower area. Ugh!!! But there's not much to do, so it won't take long to do. Good luck with yours. Sorry, I don't do house calls. LOL!

Well, I'd better go hop in the shower. We have to leave pretty early since it's a three-hour drive to where the funeral is. Thank goodness, Paul will go with me, because my other friend woke up with a fever yesterday and can't go. So that's going to be an all-day trip down and back.

Take care. How's that guilt-free weekend going for all of you?

Kim
Old 02-09-2003, 11:21 AM   #122  

My son is coming over for dinner today. I am making salmon wellingtons at his request. I am worried about him. He lost his job on Friday, and now has to find another. The job market is so tight, I am afraid it may take a long time, and he just can't afford to be out of work. His car needs a new fan belt and a new tire, so instead of driving the 7 miles over here, his father is going to go pick him up. Sigh. Parenting sure is hard. He is an adult, but I still worry about him.

QUILTER: I think you are right about the stress involved with making a wedding cake. Of course I worry a bit about it turning out right. So much can go wrong! When I was doing a lot of cakes, I was not as uptight, since I hadn't had any problems. But you forget that things rarely go wrong and start worrying about the things that can...like what if you drop one of the tiers? What if you cut it and there is a terrible 'sad streak' in it? What if it leans too much, then falls over? :EEK: The cake turned out beautiful, the bride was very happy with it, which was a relief. I think when I got home, my desire to eat was another emotion...relief maybe? haha! All remnants of the cake are gone now...I even got all the pans and equipment put away now. About two years ago, I did a cake and did not taste a bit of it..I even cut and served it to the over 500 guests. I think that time, it was easier because I was 'helping' the mother of the bride do the cake, though I ended up doing it all with her watching me. That was ok..she is a dear friend. Anyway, it was HER headache to get the cake to the church and all set up, I was just helping, and not totally responsible. What a difference!

MELF: That is great that your daughter is all settled, and her house warmed properly by family and friends! Parenting never ends, does it?
Old 02-09-2003, 12:23 PM   #123  
BIG ORANGE FOOTBALL RULES

MORNING ALL YOU LITTLE CHICKIES!!!!

Yucky day here...cloudy...looks just like a cold winter day....

MONET>..Better check the fridge...I snuck in during the night and took the pimento!
Can't wait to see BIG FAT GREEK WEDDING..;.I have a list going..next weekend looks like a marathon..

KIM...what can I say??? I don't envy you and your remodeling!!!

TRANQUIL...I just see these around the cyber...and save them!

Got to go to the grocery for Kate...I'll check in later.

BOB
Old 02-09-2003, 01:56 PM   #124  

S/C/G: 278/163/143

Height: 5'8"

Melf- I hope ur feeling better today. My heart flutters and races at times and it's scary.

BOB- thanks for the tidbit- that explains why everytime I binge on bad carbs I'm always up several pounds the next day and puffy.

Well,guys I did "okay" yesterday. I had a chicken caesear shaker at McDonald's and a small slice of cake. I've been really trying to watch what I eat and drinking LOTS of water. Today I'm at a new low of 207!
Old 02-09-2003, 02:55 PM   #125  

HEART: Congrats on the new low! Nothing like a loss for motivation!
Old 02-09-2003, 04:29 PM   #126  
Mel

Default Where's that wagon?

Confession time: I need to post and stay on this board more! I have had just the worst month ever since trying to change my life, body and health a year and a half ago. I think I've had mabe 7 days of clean eating out of the last 28. I don't know what's going on- everyday I say "this is it- I'm done with the garbage and it's back to clean living", then I blow it. This morning I had Trail Mix (um, peanuts, raisins and m&m's) for BREAKFAST I've officially gone back up a size in jeans, and they're starting to get tight. The only good thing is that I haven't missed a single workout, and can set some new personal bests lifting, but I'd gladly give them up for some self control. I never did want to look like those powerlifter babes....Gotta get back to staying OP! I'm too scared to get on a scale- that will wait til the jeans are fitting again. I can't even remember how to eat anymore, it's gotten that bad. I may try to go back to regular SB eating with just a little more protein for the lifting. If I can remember....

I'm sooo far behind- have only read the last 4 pages. You all have been so busy!
Quilter- Are your arms aching from painting? When we bought this house 3 years ago, it had either horrible filthy paint in weird colors or multiple layers of filthy wallpaper everywhere. Luckily I had 2 months before we movedin and I spend every day, all day, stripping wallpaper, replastering because the previous owners not only were slobs, but didn't bother to size the walls first, and repainting. I did hire a painter to help a bit- we have two story foyer that had wallpaper, and a cathedraled family room that was in terrible shape. I discovered I just couldn't work at the top of an extension ladder. I lost 10 pounds without changing anything else just working on the house. hmmm....maybe I should repaint I did do my living room window treatments this weekend- after tree years of naked windows, iI finally figured out what I wanted. I know noone will believe that was what I used to do for a living. I used to tell my clients who wanted their homes "done" before they even moved in, to live in them for a little while- even if it was only a few days to see how the light moves, etc. But I never told anyone to wait 3 years. Would have been real bad for business.

Monet: Glad your cake turned out beautifully, sorry bout your icing tasting problems. I catered a couple of weddings- never the wedding cake, but lots of other desserts. It is really stressful, and the stuff is so yummy. My specialty was a rasberry hazelnut cake w/ cream cheese frosting, done to look like a linzer torte. OMG it's good, but I'm not sure I could ever go back to doing that.

Heartmom: The carb and water thing works both ways. That's why when people start a diet and cut the quantity of bad carbs, they have an initial huge loss and then get discouraged because it doesn't continue.

Deb- You sound frantically busy as usual. I'd be begging Michael to get a driver's license by now. Oh yeah- I do remember what traffic was like in SoFLA! Maybe not.... it was traumatic enough with Amy living here in suburbia. I still worry endlessly about her and driving even tho she's almost 21.

Melf- Glad your daughter is settled in. Boy, that was a long process. I hope mother nature never dumps on you like that again. Here, we just have a snowstorm every other day. Making up for the last 3 winters with NO SNOW!

OK, that's all I remember. Someday I'll get smart and use word while I read posts, but I don't seem to get much smarter these days.

Somebody kick my spreading butt into the wagon please,

mel
Old 02-09-2003, 05:47 PM   #127  

Default Sourdough Bread

I apologize if I have posted this question in the wrong place. I'm still trying to get used to this format.

A little about me. I'm a former Atkid. I have lost 32lbs on the Atkins plan. Unfortunately, my cholesterol has gone up since being on Atkins, so I needed a new WOE that would give me more of a lower fat variety of foods. I have been doing SB for almost two weeks now & doing very well.

My question is I understand that Sourdough bread is legal. Does it matter what kind of sourdough you buy? I haven't come across any that state they are made of 100% whole grain or wheat. Most have wheat flour in them or enriched flour. What ingredients should I be looking for exactly or does it even matter in this case?

I also have to confess that since I was previously doing Atkins, it is definitely taking some adjustment to the fact that I'm ingesting all these carbs now. LOL! Any tips will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance.
Old 02-09-2003, 07:23 PM   #128  
sef

HiedieHo All!

I had good plans this a.m. I was going to church. By the time I showered and was partially dressed I gave it up for a bad idea. I was pooped! Wish I would spring back to normal, whatever that is!

FILLISE: Haven't forgotten you. Just haven't been out yet.

QUILT: Don't worry about when you get pkg out. P.O. will leave pkg at door.

Hope all is well. I did skim board and am thinking of you all.

Shirley

Last edited by sef; 02-09-2003 at 07:26 PM.
Old 02-09-2003, 08:16 PM   #129  
Mel

Default Sourdough Bread

Letty: I'm not the best one to answer this considering my recent eating, but I doubt you're going to find 100% sgww sourdough bread anywhere. The white stuff is supposedly legal because the acidity lowers the glycemic load. HOWEVER: treat it with a lot of caution. Especially if you've been doing Atkins, adding in a lot of carbs all at once is going to swell you up like a balloon. If bread is a trigger food, I'd stay away from it at least until you've gotten used to the higher carb level with really healthy carb choices: oatmeal, sweet potatos, 100% stoneground whole wheat products. And remember the 2-3 starchy carb rule if weight loss is your goal. Most of us find that 2 per day is the limit for losing. Hope this helps Also remember to eat your vegetables! Those good crunchy greens ones are carbs too, but will help you lower your cholesterol, fill you up, and keep things moving.

mel

Last edited by meliris; 02-09-2003 at 08:18 PM.
Old 02-09-2003, 09:40 PM   #130  
SUPER CHICK aka Moderator

I've been given 5 minutes on the computer while Michael goes to eat something. He's been on here since this morning and I haven't had a chance to get on as I had hoped. If I had the $$$ you could be well assured I'd have dsl and networking in this house, we need it, but alas, I can't afford it, so I'll have to suffer.

Will be on early in the morning to start the new weekly board. I'm hoping that this week won't be so hard to get on. The day time shouldn't be too bad, I only have something later in the morning tomorrow and all day on Wednesday, otherwise, I should be able to keep up this coming week. It's been **** on my end-I've missed you all!!!!

Will see you all tomrrow!

{{{{HUGS}}}

Debbie
Old 02-09-2003, 09:44 PM   #131  
SUPER CHICK aka Moderator

LETTY, will give you a proper SB HELLO tomorrow, but a quickie, you have Trader Joe's I presume, in your area? If so, they have a whole wheat sourdough I believe. Also, if you can find RUDIS SD BREAD at Whole Foods/Wild Oats in your area, I can get it at mine here in Miami. SD doesn't HAVE to be whole grain, but better if it is, but just look to make sure it doesn't have a bunch of other junk in it, the Rudi's is NOT made with whole grain, it doesn't have to be. If you look at the FOOD INFORMATION BOARD within the SB INFORMATIONAL BOARDS you will find info about SD and why it's considered legal.

Gotta run.....
Closed Thread