Sugar Shakers for followers of Sugar Busters and other GI based diets

Closed Thread

Old 10-30-2000, 04:05 AM   #1  
SUPER CHICK aka Moderator

This is the SUGAR BUSTERS RECIPE BOARD FOR NOVEMBER 2000. If you would like to view the recipes from SEPTEMBER 2000, please click on the link below:

http://www.3fatchicks.com/ubb//Forum55/HTML/000040.html

Old 10-31-2000, 05:42 AM   #2  
***ORANGE CHICK***

For those of you who only read the recipes and not the forum, I'll explain about the trout...Steelhead is the same consistancy as salmon, and tastes almost identical except it has a much milder flavor...TRY IT YOU'LL LIKE IT!!!!

GRILLED STEELHEAD TROUT
1.5 lb trout
olive oil
cajun spices preheat grill
garlic
salt & pepper
oriental five spice powder

Rub olive oil generously over both sides of
fish. add spices to fleshy side of fish.
Sear flesh side down then turn over and cook
skin side down no more than 10 minutes.
UM UM GOOD!!!!

------------------
Old 11-02-2000, 07:08 PM   #3  

Rissa's Whole Wheat Bread Stuffing

Who says stuffing has to be illegal!

Ingredients:

1 stick of butter or margarine
1 cup of celery, chopped
1 bunch of green onions, finely chopped
2 large portabella mushroom caps, cut into large pieces
1 loaf of fresh whole wheat bread, cut into cubes
1/4 cup of parsley leaves (or 1 cup fresh parsley)
1 teaspoon of sage leaves
1 teaspoon of salt
1/2 teaspoon of rubbed thyme (or 1 tablespoon of fresh thyme)
1/2 teaspoon of pepper

Preparation:

Melt butter or margarine in a large frying pan or Dutch oven. Add celery, onion and mushrooms. Cook until all elements are tender. Remove from heat.

In a separate dish (a large corning ware casserole dish is ideal) mix bread cubes, and spices.

Spoon the celery, onion and mushroom mixture into the casserole dish. Turning all ingredients gently to mix thoroughly.

Place stuffing into the same oven as the turkey and cook for between 30 and 45 minutes. I personally leave the glass lid on the casserole until the last fifteen minutes, because I like moist stuffing with a crispy top. Let it cool for about the same amount of time as the turkey before serving

NOTES: This can be used inside of the bird. If you do stuff, make sure the interior of the turkey reaches at least 165 to 170 degrees and remove the stuffing immediately from the cooked bird, otherwise you may have to contend with bacteria.

Old 11-03-2000, 10:02 AM   #4  
BIG ORANGE FOOTBALL RULES

TRIPLE LAYERED JELLO

2 small or 1 large box sugarfree jello
2 cups hot water
4 oz cream cheese, softened
2 cups cold water
4 to 6 tbs whipping cream

Pour the contents of the jello boxes into a glass dish. Pour the hott water into the dish and stir to dissolve. Add the cream chesse and beat with a mixer until the cheese is completely mixed in. The mixture will be frothy. Stir in the cold water. Whip the cream until stiff. Gently whisk the whipped cream into the jello mixture. Cover and refrigerate until firm. The mixture will separate into three layers: clear jello on the bottom, flavored cream cheese in the middle, and flavored whipped cream on top.
Serves 8

This comes from my SUGARFREE QUICK & EASY cookbook by Deanie Comeaux Bahan

------------------
I'M NOT FAT....JUST FLUFFY! DON'T JUDGE ME TILL YOU'VE WALKED A MILE IN MY SHOES!!!!
Old 11-03-2000, 11:45 AM   #5  

DebEd:
Don't laugh, but I actually had SB legal (mostly) apple pie last weekend that someone brought to a potluck. It was a purchased frozen pie, made by Mother Natures, purchased at Wild Oats. Made with whole wheat flour, sweetened only with fruit juice. The only illegal thing about it is that it is thickened with some corn starch. But it was the best purchased apple pie I've ever had -- just like homemade. It will be on my Thanksgiving table.

Okay, on to my recipe, which was my potluck contribution:

Asparagus Salad

1 1/2 pounds asparagus, tough ends removed, sliced on the diagonal in 1-2" slices
1/2 onion, sliced thin

Dressing: 1/4 c fresh squeezed lemon
1/4 c olive oil

Simmer vegetables for 5-6 minutes, then remove from heat, drain, toss with dressing and refrigerate. Before serving, add:

1/2 c fresh grated parmesan cheese
1 c grape tomatos (or sliced cherry tomatos)
1/4 c pine nuts

Old 11-04-2000, 05:31 AM   #6  

This is the squash that my DH made last night. I'm not going to give amounts, because it's all to taste.

Joe's Butternut Squash

Butternut Squash, slice lengthwise, seeds removed
Butter
Nutmeg
Salt
Cinnamon

Place the squash cut side down on a pan with a little water (about 1/4 inch). Place in 350 oven. Bake for 30 minutes. Turn squash over and bake another 30 minutes or until tender.

Scoop out squash meat. Add butter and spices and mash to smooth consistency.
Old 11-04-2000, 11:31 PM   #7  

Recipe from the Oct 24 Woman's World

Cherry Baked Apple

1/2 cup dried cherries
2 Tbs. chopped walnuts
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon, divided
4 medium apples, such as Granny Smith, about 2 lbs, cored
3/4 cup diet cherry soda
2 tsp. butter (actually called for lite margarine, I don't use margarine)

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. In small bowl combine cherries, walnuts and 1/4 ts[ cinnamon. Place apples in baking dish. Fill center of apples with cherry-walnut mixture. Pour cherry soda over apples. Dot each apple with 1 tsp butter. Sprinkle with remaining 1/4 cinnamon. Bake until apples are tender, about 45 m inutes. Serve with sauce from bottom of baking dish.

Makes 4 servings. Per serving: 164 cals; 2 g protein; 4 g fat; 0 g chol; 34 g carb; 27 mg sodium; 5 g fiber; 19 g sugar.

Old 11-04-2000, 11:44 PM   #8  

Swiss Cheese Pasta

8 oz. whole wheat penne pasta
2 cups broccoli florets (1 12 oz head of broccoli trimmed)
3/4 cup fat-free milk, divided
2 tsp cornstarch
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
1/8 tsp ground nutmeg
1 clove garlic, minced
3/4 cup shredded reduced fat Swiss cheese, divided
2 Tbs. grated Parmesan cheese, divided
1/4 cup reduced fat sour cream
2 Tbs. chopped fresh parsley

Prepare pasta according to package directions, adding broccoli during last 2 minutes of cooking time. Drain and reserve. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Coat 2 qt. casserole dish with nonstick cooking spray. In small bowl, stir together 2 Tbs. milk, cornstarch, salt, papper and nutmeg; reserve. Coat nonstick skillet with cooking spray. Place over low heat; cook garlic until soft, 1 minute. Add remaining milk to skillet. Increase heat to high; bring to boil. Stir in reserved milk mixture; cook, stirring, until thickened 30 seconds. Stir in 1/2 cup Swiss cheese and 1 Tbs.Parmesan cheese until melted. Remove from heat. Stir in sour cream and parsley. In prepared casserole dish toss pasta, broccoli and sauce until combined. Sprinke with remaining Swiss and Parmesan. Bake until heated through and cheese is melted 15 minutes.

Makes 4 servings. Per serving: 338 cals; 19 g protein; 7 g fat; 20 mg col; 50 g carb; 422 mg sodium; 3 g fiber 5 g sugar
Old 11-04-2000, 11:59 PM   #9  

Chicken Marsala

1/3 cup egg substitute
3 Tbs. fat free milk
2/3 cup all-purpose flou(we should substitute whole wheat flour)
1 tsp salt, divided
1/2 tsp pepper, divided
1 lb boneless skinless chicken breast cutlets (about 6)
3 Tbs lite margarine (again I'd use butter)
1 Tbs olive oil
1 onion thinly sliced
2 red and/or green bell peppers, sliced
1 pkg. (10 oz.) mushrooms, sliced
1 clove garlic, minced
1 tsp dried thyme
1 cup Marsala wine
1 pkg (1/2oz) low sodium chicken bouillon granules
1 Tbs lemon juice

Preheat oven to 350. In small bowl, combine egg substitute and milk. In another small bowl, combine flour, 1/2 tsp salt and 1/4 tsp pepper. Dip cutlets into egg then flour mixture; set aside. In large skillet, heat butter and oil over meduim heat. Add chicken, in batches, cooking just until golden brown, 2-3 minutes per side. Remove; set aside.To same skillet add onion; cook until softened, 5 minutes. Add peppers, mushrooms, garlic and thyme; cook until crisp-tender, 5-8 minutes. Place vegetable mixture in 8x11" baking dish. Top with chicken. To skillet, add wine, bouillon, lemon juice and remaining salt and pepper. Increase heat to high; boil until reduced by half, about 10 minutes. Pour over chicken and vegetables. Bake until hot, 20 minutes.

Makes 4 servings. Per serving: 358 cals.; 34 g protein;10 g fat;66 mg chol; 31 g carb; 806 mg sodium; 4 g fiber; 5 g sugar.

[This message has been edited by Chrissie (edited 11-04-2000).]
Old 11-05-2000, 12:13 AM   #10  

Mini Eclairs

1 pkg (7 oz) hard ladyfingers (24 cookies)
1 pkg (1oz) fatfree, sugar free instant vanilla pudding mix
2 1/4 cups fat free milk, divided
1/2 cup nondairy whipped topping
1 pkg (1.4 oz) fatfree, sugar free instant chocolate pudding mix

Using spoon, hollow centers of ladyfingers, leaving 1/4" bottoms and sides, reserving crumbs. Prepare vanilla pudding mix according to package directions using 1 cup milk. Fold in whipped topping. Place in pastry bag fitted with large star tip. Place 1 ladyfinger, hollowed-side up, on serving platter. Pipe with about 2 Tbs vanilla pudding. Repeat for 11 more ladyfingers. Prepare chocolate pudding mix according to package directions using 1 1/4 cups milk. Spread non-hollowed sides of remaining ladyfingers with about 2 Tbs chocolate pudding. Place over cream-filled ladyfingers. Using fine writing tip, pipe decorative "S" shape with remaining vanills pudding o top of cholate-frosted ladyfingers.

Makes 12 eclairs. Per eclair: 88 calories; 3 g protein; 2 g fat; 48 mg chol; 15 g carb; 239 mg sodium; 0 g fiber, 2 g sugar.
Old 11-05-2000, 12:22 AM   #11  

Chocolate Truffles

1 1/4 cup grahamcracker crumbs
1/2 cup fat free evaporated milk
1/2 cup old-fashioned oats
3 Tbs unsweetened cocoa powder, divided
7 packets artificial sweetener, such as Equal (2 tsp)
1 pkg (2.8 oz) fat free, sugar free hot chocolate mix

In a small bowl combine graham cracker crumbs, evaporated milk, oats, 2 Tbs cocoa powder and sweetener into small bowl. Place hot chocolate mix and remaining cocoa powder into small bowl. With damp hands, roll graham cracker crumb mixture into 1" balls; toss balls in hot chocolate mixture to coat.

Makes 12 truffles. Per truffle: 98 cals; 3 g protein; 3 g fat; 0 g chol; 16 g acarbs; 80 mg sodium; 2 g fiber; 3 g sugar.
Old 11-05-2000, 12:31 AM   #12  

Tasty meatloaf

1 box (10 oz) chopped spinach, thawed
1 lb lean ground beef
1 lb ground turkey breast
1 large onion, finely chopped
2 carrots,grated (we can probably omit)
1 1/4 cups seasoned dry breadcrumbs (WW)
3/4 cup ketchup, divided
1/2 cup applesauce, divided
1/4 egg substitute
1/4 prepared mustard
1 tsp minced garlic

Prewheat oven to 375. Coat 9x5" loaf pan with nonstick cooking spray. With your hands, squeeze spinach dry. In large bowl combine ground beef, ground turkey, onion, carrot, breadcrumbs, 1/2 cup ketchup, 1/4 cup applesauce, egg substitute, mustard, and garlic. Fill loaf pan with mixture. Combine remaining ketchup and applesauce. Spoon over top of meatloaf. Bake until meat thermometer inserted into center of meatloaf registers 180 degrees F, about 2 hours.

Makes 8 servings. Per serving: 361 cals; 26 g protein; 17 g fat; 84 mg chol; 25 g carbs; 1064 mg sodium; 3 g fiber, 8 g sugar.
Old 11-05-2000, 12:36 AM   #13  

All the above recipes submitted by me were in the Oct 24 Woman's World.
Old 11-05-2000, 07:54 AM   #14  

RE: the Peanut Butter Pie recipe

I've tried to make the yogurt cheese before, but it didn't quite work out. What is your method?
Old 11-05-2000, 08:24 AM   #15  

YOGURT CHEESE

This is easy to make. You can use it as a substitution for sour cream and cream cheese.

Use any NATURAL YOGURT, that does NOT contain gelatin. Gelatin holds the whey in the yogurt and does not allow it to drain off.

Place yogurt into a yogurt drainer (funnel with a fine mesh), cheese cloth tied into a bag and allowed to drain overnight suspended over the kitchen sink, or a strainer lined with a coffee filter sitting over a bowl.

Allow to drain anywhere from 2 - 24 hours, if you want to use as a sour cream, maybe around 2-4 hours, or until desire creaminess is achieved, or for cheese, at least 24 hours, but personally, I let mine go for longer sometimes.

A 32oz container will yield approx. 2 cups yogurt cheese.

You can use fat free yogurt, but I prefer the low fat instead. Recipes using lowfat vanilla yogurt can be adapted to nonfat plain yogurt by adding sweetner and vanilla to taste.

Also, I like to use STONEYFIELD FARMS or AXELROD LF yogurt.
Closed Thread