South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Closed Thread

Old 10-26-2003, 08:12 PM   #16  

Height: 5'-2"

Jen, what Rowan means, is, go to the top and click on "South Beach Diet".

Rowan, what I want to know is, how the heck to get the turkey in the fridge!
Old 10-26-2003, 08:24 PM   #17  
Ready to Change

S/C/G: 170/160/125

Height: 5 ft

Rowan what is your recipie for your dressing for your spinach salad. It is my fav. But I can never seem to find a recipie for the dressing.
Old 10-26-2003, 11:53 PM   #18  
Believe it & Achieve it

You guys have me drooling!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :P
Old 10-27-2003, 02:40 AM   #19  

Rowan,

I am really looking forward to your recipe... I won't be home for thanksgiving but will be making a turkey at some point during the holidays... I'm going to give this a try as it sounds wonderful. mmmmm I can almost taste it.. and smell it. How I love the smells of all the thanksgiving foods cooking.
Old 10-27-2003, 05:19 AM   #20  
Captain of MY Destiny!

My DH and I discovered brining a couple of Thanksgivings ago, and it makes for a fabulous turkey! We use one that has a lot of oranges and lemons in it, plus some fresh herbs. The first time I don't think we rinsed it well enough before roasting, as it was a mite on the salty side! But we have perfected the technique now, and the meat is so tasty. Plus the gravy needs no seasoning and is wonderful. If you haven't tried it, I highly recommend this technique.

Rowan, your menu sounds divine! I will have to keep it in mind. We are always on the prowl for new ideas, and I really would like to make our feast more SBD friendly.
Old 10-27-2003, 10:35 AM   #21  
Work in Progress

Ellis, thanks for the more detailed info to Jenny, I am really bad giving instructions, except recipies!!!

Jenny, I will find that brining recipe, it is probably the one that Franny is mentioning.

Franny, I will be doing a SB friendly menu for the holidays. I do push things a bit, like adding the port to the apples, because I do want the non diet people to enjoy, but no one has EVER complained about what I have made that was diet friendly to me. I figure if I am cooking, then they will get what I make!! You could probably substitute some of the atkins 0 sugar syrups as well!!

I will be thinking through my menu in the next few weeks, and if I come up with anything that is great, I will post it!!!

I say, don't be afraid to start new traditions for the holidays--I also watch the Food TV channel a lot this time of year for ideas and then I try them, if they work, then on the table.

I have a GREAT cranberry recipe Jennifer if you want it. You can use splenda, but it you cook the cranberry's in fresh squeezed orange juice that adds sweet as well -- add cinnamon....I am thinking of even trying some of the Atkins 0 sugar syrups to add sweetness and flavor...also, add cinnamon and nutmeg, cranberries are a fun food. Try playing around before the big day, you can cook three batches, and you can freeze them, and serve them with chicken during the rest of winter...
Old 10-27-2003, 01:24 PM   #22  

Yea I found the recipe board.. thank you. thank you. love cranberries especially cooked with orange... I once just ground up the cranberries and added oranges and peel to it.. and some sugar...way back in pre SB days. It was very good but boy oh boy did it ever make me have a tummy ache.

One question I have, maybe you all know the answer but I've been reading about crusts made with nuts.. one recipe says almonds and another says pecans and another says hazel nuts.. Was wondering if I could use walnuts? Anyone have any idea? The reason I ask is because I have tons of them.. but will have to buy any other kind. I saw a recipe using cream cheese and pumpkin with a nut crust that looks good.

Have a super day.. will check in later.

Jenny
Old 10-27-2003, 04:01 PM   #23  

Height: 5'-2"

Rowan, thank YOU for not taking offense at my adding to your instructions. I am notorious for putting my foot in my mouth and hurting other people's feelings.

Oh, now I get it! I'm so slow. You girls are gearing up for Thanksgiving, aren't you!? I wondered what all the hoo ha was about turkey.

Last edited by ellis; 10-27-2003 at 04:08 PM.
Closed Thread