South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Closed Thread

Old 02-27-2008, 09:09 AM   #91  

S/C/G: 241/232/165

Height: 5.7

Default bathtub books and hard lit

howdy booklovers!

i'm a sbd and an online community newbie...not up to par on my netiquette so i hope it's ok if i just go ahead and post away!

i have been alternating between chick lit escapism (perfect for bathtub reading)namely all books by sophie kinsella--some humor :"the idiot girls' adventure club" by laurie notaro and the seriously disturbing yet amusing "running with scissors" by augusten burroughs
and i have gotten hooked to alexander mccall smith's number 1 detective agency series...seriously feel-good pick-me-up lit !! almost better than hot chocolate mmmmm.
Old 02-27-2008, 09:37 AM   #92  
Recovering Sugarholic

Height: 5'3"

Haven't been reading too much...sleeping is getting the best of me! But I did finish Reluctant Smuggler by Jill Elizabeth Nelson. And I still have a whole pile of review books to read...
Old 02-27-2008, 10:53 AM   #93  

S/C/G: 214/210/164

Height: 5'0"

Not a lot of reading going on with me being out of town so much. While in my hotel room last Thursday and Friday, I read both Charlie and the Chocolate Factory and Charlie and the Glass Elevator by Roald Dahl. Just love those books - I know they're kids' books, but I still have fun reading them.

Last night I had fits of insomnia and ended up reading Ghost Hunting : True Stories of Unexplained Phenomena from The Atlantic Paranormal Society by Jason Hawes, Grant Wilson, Michael Jan Friedman. I know, I know. Ghost hunting? Really? Yes, yes. DH and I are fascinated by it and really respect the methodology used by TAPS. We love the show, but are really more interested in the behind-the-scenes stories. I honestly believe that one day I'll be telling all of you about our latest ghost hunting adventures. On a side note, we're both skeptics who want to be proven wrong. Anyhow, the book was interesting for its content, but the writing was sort of bland. DH got it for me for Valentine's day, which is too cute and too funny!

I think that after work I'm going to hop on over to the library to get a book or two for NM this weekend.

Last edited by Kim_Star060404; 02-27-2008 at 10:53 AM.
Old 02-27-2008, 09:02 PM   #94  

I love those books, too, Kim! I watch Ghost Hunters, too. My husband makes fun of it because they don't usually find much. After they went to the sanitarium in Kentucky for Halloween, I did some research on the place...very interesting - all ghosts/spirits aside...
Old 02-28-2008, 12:59 PM   #95  
I can do this!

Height: 5'11"

Okay, I'm reading this thread and drinking some magnifico hot chocolate, so it's like heaven!

It's so nice to be among fellow bibliophiles...*happy sigh*

Schmoodle, Kingsolver is really delicious. Having loved so many of her books, I was really thrilled to read Animal, Vegetable, Mineral and learn more about her own life. It somehow made my previous experiences with her work richer. My favorite of hers, beside the Poisonwood Bible, is probably Prodigal Summer. I listened to it as a book on CD and it came complete with forest noises! I felt like I was right in the story! After reading A,V,M, you'll understand why half the story is about organic farming! I'm so glad you read to your kids. Trelease recommends reading to them even through High School and has this great photo of him sitting at the kitchen table, reading aloud, while his teenage son is doing the dishes! It's almost enough to make me want to have some teenagers right now--just so I can read aloud to them while they do my chores! Just kidding...sort of. I'm so sorry you got stranded in the airport for so long...yikes! I actually had some trouble sticking with A,V,M at first but when I took it with me on my flight to Florida, it was so easy to stay focused! Some books are just meant for travel...

Barb you are Super-Mom-Of-The-Year in my eyes for reading all of HP aloud!!! I'm not worthy! That's a whole heck of a lot of reading...as I've said before, Brian is one lucky kiddo. I was bedazzled when I read that you are reading McCaffrey! I had a huge crush on her in High School--I read everything I could get my hands on that she wrote about Pern, then moved on to the Crystalsinger series and the Ship Who Sang series...when I was reading Pern, she had pretty much come to a standstill on writing new books but just as I was moving out of that phase, she started writing again. I collected many of the new books, but didn't read them and now it's been so long I think I'll have to start over...a hard thing to think about when I have SOOO many books in my TBR pile! I know it's a cliche, but "so many books, so little time" totally describes my life! Anyways, the main reason I was so shocked to read that you're reading Dragonriders with Brian is that I haven't heard about Pern in years and just last week I met a girl on MySpace who's a huge Pern fan! We "talked Pern" quite a bit and it was so much fun to relive a lot of it! Those books just entranced me...I especially loved the musical ones featuring Menolly (Dragonsong, Dragonsinger, and Dragondrums, I think...). The girl I was talking to on MySpace also said that even though she was really worried that he'd ruin the series, she was very pleasantly surprised at what a great job Anne's son did with it! I'll have to check them out!

MagnoliaKim, yes...I loved Number the Stars, too! Is Gathering Blue the sequel? I know it takes place in the same society as The Giver, but it doesn't feature the same characters...at least I don't think so... If that's not it, I'd love to know what the sequel is! I'd be thrilled to read it!

Jandaman! I'm SO glad you were courageous enough to post! Anyone who wants to join in is totally welcome!!! (hear that, lurkers? that means YOU! ) I loved your suggestions for fun books! I often need a "mind candy" book after reading something heavy, serious, sad, or taxing. In this day and age where the trend seems to be beautifully written books about seriously disturbing subjects (Kite Runner, Water for Elephants, Thousand Splendid Suns, etc...), I find chick lit and other fun books to be essential! I love fun mysteries...I'll have to check out McCall Smith! Have you read the Aunt Dimity books? (Jessie knows how much I enjoyed them, as does Cottage) They're fabulous, funny mysteries featuring a woman who communicates with her dead aunt through a journal. I also greatly enjoyed Dorothy Cannell's Elie Haskell series (more mysteries). They are written in such fantastic humor and the main character is someone to whom we can all very much relate (especially since she is overweight and loves to eat...)! The Thin Woman is the first book in the series, which is 13 books long, I think.

Jessie, only a baby would be able to keep you from your books! How are you feeling besides the fatigue? I'm so excited for you! My dear friend Mel just gave birth to her first baby on Tuesday. He's gorgeous and she and her DH are sooo happy. It made me think of you and where you'll be in just a few short months!

KimStar, I love Dahl's books...they are fabulous!!! My sisters were huge fans of the Witches and the BFG. I loved Matilda and especially enjoy his short stories. I think my favorite was one about George and the magic potion he makes for his evil relative. Your Ghost hunting book sounds fun...and I love that your DH gave it to you for V-day! It's real love when you know each other's interests so well!

Me:

I'm still working my way through Pride & Prejudice, but it's going much quicker now that we're at Lydia's "elopement." I'm learning SO much that I didn't know before with the help of the annotations. I just hope I finish it before Monday's book club! I have so many books to read at home--I looked up the author of the Five Love Languages (a fabulous read for any couple!!! Very fast and easy to read and it comes complete with tests for each partner and what to do with the results), Gary Chapman, and found that he's written tons of books! I requested one of them at the library-- Anger: Handling a Powerful Emotion in a Healthy Way and can't wait to read it! I have a really hard time admitting that I'm angry because I just don't know how to handle it. I hope this gives me some good tips, because I think that "stuffed" anger may be a major reason I overeat...

I also have some books I got for Christmas, along with the next book for our book club, which I'm hosting (we're going to do a "couples'" book club...or at least try...). The book is The Good Guy by Dean Koontz. It's not at all my type of book, but I'm interested in seeing what it's like.
Old 02-28-2008, 04:31 PM   #96  
Beach Bum

Height: 5' 7"

Do you avid readers ever do the "trick" one of my friends taught me years ago...when you buy a book to give as a gift, very very carefully read it first! She also taught me that when giving a book as a gift you should write a personal note in the front. I have tried to remember to do so.
Old 03-03-2008, 08:53 AM   #97  
I can do this!

Hi, SkinnyDog!

I usually tend to give books for gifts that I've already read, but the couple of times I haven't, I did (carefully, so as not to crack the spine) read them! Shhh...don't tell. Actually, I gave SARK books to my aunt for Christmas a couple times before I read one--and once I did, there was no going back. I had to read them all! She's amazing!

I always write on the inside cover (or some available space) when I give books to friends and am sure to include the date. I know it makes me happy to see my friends' inscriptions when I read the books they gave me. My dad just finished a book I gave him a couple years ago for Christmas and said seeing the inscription each time he opened it made him very happy (we live far away from each other). If I'm unsure whether a friend has the book or not, I write the inscription on a post-it and put it inside.

Well, I'm done with P&P (just in time...book club meets tonight! ). Honestly, that ending just never gets old! It makes me happy every time.

I'm pretty sure I'm going to give in to my desire to jump on the Gary Chapman Anger book. Let's hope I learn something!

What are you reading???

Last edited by beachgal; 03-03-2008 at 08:54 AM.
Old 03-03-2008, 09:22 AM   #98  
Recovering Sugarholic

I finished a very short review book this weekend, The Next Level by David Gregory. It is a VERY thinly veiled allegory for Christian life and my DH and I both found it laughably bad. Wouldn't recommend to anyone...

I decided since I wrote two reviews for this week I could read a fun book--especially since DH is out of town--so I started The Island of Heavenly Daze by Angela Hunt and Lori Copeland. I love Lori Copeland; I tried to read one of Hunt's books but wasn't into it. This I like so far. I haven't read the Jan Karon books--although darn it, I intend to some day--but I think from what I know this series may have the same feel...VERY small community bonded by a church. Main character is the pastor. I think there are five in the series and I have the first two. It's on my list of "First 30 Books I Got From Paperbackswap and Haven't Read Yet" that I want to read in 2008. Will let you know how it goes!
Old 03-03-2008, 11:00 AM   #99  

Hi

Hope it's ok that I join the conversation. I am reading Nineteen Minutes by Jodi Picoult right now. It is such a good book. You know, one of those books that you keep reading, even when you're cooking. It is about a high school shooting and what lead up to it as well as the aftermath for the whole town. I haven't read any of her other books, but I am looking forward to getting them from the library.
Old 03-03-2008, 12:37 PM   #100  
Beach Bum

I'm reading a piece of fluff right now and have 2 more "fluff" reads on my nightstand. The current one is Sex in the City. I enjoyed the TV/cable series and thought it would be fun to read the book on which the series was based. So far, it is just ok. I don't like Candace Bushnell's flow of writing, or I should say, lack of flow.
The next 2 books are Janet Evanovich. One is the new Plum Lucky and the other is one of her older books that has been re-released Wife For Hire.
After the girly books I will go back to James Patterson and catch up on his character Alex Cross, starting back with Mary Mary.
Old 03-05-2008, 10:25 AM   #101  
I can do this!

Oooh, Jessie, I loved Jan Karon's books (I thought they were over but I think I saw a new one recently? ). Is the Island of Heavenly Daze the first book in the series? I'm about "thinly vieled allegor[ies]" --those drive me nuts! I want to yell at the author, "Oh, just come on out and say it, already!" I'm glad you're getting some reading in just for you. What's DH doing leaving his pregnant wife all alone? I hope he brings back presents!

Erinea! You (as well as anyone else--hear that, lurkers? ) are always welcome to join in at any time! We love talking with anyone about books!!! As I often tell people, they're the only things I love more than food, and that's saying something! Jodi Picoult is one of my very favorite authors!!! Though I sometimes get frustrated with her exacting attention to detail, I appreciate the richness it can add to her writing. Her stories are incredibly engaging and SO hard to put down!!! Plain Truth is my very favorite--it's an incredible page turner and had me looking everywhere for novels on the Amish (I even read a Nancy Drew in my urgency! ). I've also read Vanishing Acts (which was really good) and Keeping Faith (which I especially enjoyed). I haven't read Nineteen Minutes yet, though--we'll have to compare notes as we work through her books!

SkinnyDog, I've never read Sex and the City (though I loved the series, too and can't wait for the movie! ), but I read another of Bushnell's books, Trading Up. I was definitely engaged, but I was saddened by the lack of growth in the main character. I don't think I'm a "sex and shopping" book girl--though I enjoy the romance in Danielle Steel's books, I've never been that into Jackie Collins-ish books.

Me: I'm working on Gary Chapman's Anger book. It's fabulous!!! I had about sixteen "A-ha! moments" (as Oprah calls them) while reading it last night. He's so clear and so smart! I'm already putting some of the strategies into practice and they are helping immensely.

Last edited by beachgal; 03-05-2008 at 10:26 AM.
Old 03-05-2008, 01:06 PM   #102  
Recovering Sugarholic

I like Jodi Picoult, but 19 Minutes was not my favorite. Plain Truth and The Pact I liked the best. I've also read My Sister's Keeper (very good) and The Tenth Circle (I could take it or leave it). I know I have several more of hers laying around the house to read, but I have to be in the right mood and willing to put in a lot of time to read her books.

Laurie, Yes, The Island of Heavenly Daze is the first book in the series. Have you read much Beverly Lewis in your quest for Amish books? I think my favorite of hers is The Redemption of Sarah Cain, which is also one of her few single titles. I love reading about the Amish too...sometimes I wish I were Amish. I think I would like the plain living. Sometimes I feel like I should have been born in the 1800s.

DH is at a math conference in Boca Raton, FL...planned pre-pregnancy. I am doing OK...mostly sleeping!! I am actually excited to go to church tonight because there will be people there!!
Old 03-05-2008, 08:51 PM   #103  
Beach Bum

I forgot that I am also reading Belly Laughs by Jenny McCarthy. Jessie's pregnancy and the suggestions you all had for her to read reminded me of this book. I had always wanted to read it and I ran across it at Target the other day. I have this one in my work bag and when I have time, I read a chapter.

Last edited by SkinnyDogMom; 03-07-2008 at 09:12 PM.
Old 03-06-2008, 10:00 AM   #104  

S/C/G: 214/210/164

Height: 5'0"

Wow, lots of reading going on here! I'll have to set aside time this weekend to read everyone's reads and reviews and make a list for myself for the next time I make it to the library.

I ended up doing a lot more reading on vacation than I initially thought. It was a lot of fluff, so bear with me! First up was Confessions of a Shopaholic by Sophie Kinsella. Loved it. We actually went out the next day in search of a bookstore that had the next book. I didn't find it, so I boutght Daisy's Back in Town by Rachel Gibson. That one was great, too. It takes place in a small Texas town, so it had a lot of familiar themes in it. Finally, I bought Good in Bed by Jennifer Weiner. Great so far, but I really want to finish it by Friday because the did have the next Kinsella at the library.

Well, I really need to get to work, but I will do my best to check out the posts I've missed. I really want to know what you're reading!
Old 03-06-2008, 07:19 PM   #105  

I just started My Sister's Keeper. My favorite author is Dean Koontz. He has a couple of different writing styles, some funny, some scary, some just strange, but always entertaining.
Closed Thread