South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Closed Thread

Old 01-02-2008, 02:36 PM   #16  
Beach Bum

Height: 5' 7"

Thanks Stephanie. I only recently--about a year or two ago discovered Evanovich. I have worked my way through her whole series of current books and now her re-released older books.
I may have to change my sign on name, no one has ever called me skinny! Only my dog is skinny-he is a retired racing greyhound. Maybe I should have made my user name "Wants to be Skinny like my dog".
Karla
P.S.-If you go to Janet Evanovich's website/or her site on Barnes & Noble, there are recommended authors. Something like..."if you like Evanovich, you might like...".
Old 01-02-2008, 02:41 PM   #17  

S/C/G: 185/185/150

Height: 5'6

I've been reading Eat.Pray.Love by Elizabeth Gilbert. I love it so far!
Old 01-02-2008, 07:26 PM   #18  

S/C/G: 158/142/at or below 135 lbs.

Height: 5'5"

I LOVED Eat, Pray, Love!
Old 01-03-2008, 12:55 AM   #19  

S/C/G: 185/185/150

Height: 5'6

Smile

I know! I usually don't get into books like that, but I absolutely loved it!
Old 01-03-2008, 09:36 PM   #20  

S/C/G: 214/210/164

Height: 5'0"

My book list on booksfree is now in the 100's. That will keep me busy this year, huh?! I've made several additions since this thread started including; Eat.Pray.Love and Into the Forest.

Well, I finished Scent To Her Grave. I have to reiterate that it was not the most intelligent read, but fun and gave me a good, easy read to start 2008. I added the rest of the series to my book list and hope I get them in soon. I was right with my prediction of who the culprit was, but there were enough twists that I doubted my prediction a bit. All in all, a good read, if not for anything than the ties to aromatherapy and the included recipes.

As soon as I finish my more detailed book review on my blog, I'll be starting on The Birth of Venus by Sarah Dunant. I'm not sure what to expect on this one. From the cover, it looks very romantic and classical, but the description steers me away from that theory. We'll see what happens!!

Happy reading!

Last edited by Kim_Star060404; 01-03-2008 at 09:37 PM.
Old 01-04-2008, 09:06 AM   #21  
Recovering Sugarholic

Height: 5'3"

Kim, I hope you love Birth of Venus! It was my favorite book I read last year.

I finished Swapping Lives by Jane Green on Wednesday night and read the entirety of Heaven Looks a Lot Like the Mall last night. (I had a giant headache and wanted to sit still!) The latter is by Wendy Mass, a great YA author. The whole thing was written in verse, so it was short. It is about a girl who has a near-death experience after being hit in the head with a dodgeball during gym class and has to relive moments from being a toddler to the current day. It was cute and heartbreaking all at the same time. A fun read!

Swapping Lives was classic Jane Green, whom I love! She's a little racy for my normal tastes but her plots and characters are so good.

I picked up the second in a cozy series last night, Murder by the Glass by Michele Scott. I enjoy my cozies for a light read. Although I am one of those people who can never solve the mystery!

Happy weekend reading, everyone. I am super motivated to read after my husband put up an old bookcase last night and put most of my TBR pile on it. It filled up five shelves. And there are still more books downstairs. ACK!!! Must stop acquiring and read more!!!
Old 01-07-2008, 01:14 PM   #22  
Recovering Sugarholic

I finished Bless Your Heart, Tramp: And Other Southern Endearments by Celia Rivenbark this weekend. She is a humorist and the book is a collection of articles that ran in a newspaper, I think. It wasn't hilarious and I was disappointed. I read her newer book, Stop Dressing Your Six-Year-Old Like a Skank last year and it was laugh-out-loud funny.
Old 01-07-2008, 02:18 PM   #23  

Well, I finished The Birth of Venus. It was the book that kept me up until 4 am Friday night/Saturday morning. I was going to try and pace myself, but I just COULD NOT stop!! I loved it. It wasn't exactly what I expected, but much better. Thanks for listing it, JessieW; I never would have read it without you!

I'm currently reading The Yada Yada Prayer Group Gets Real by Neta Jackson and I'm enjoying it so far. I'm definitely doing better at pacing myself and hope to not finish it until the weekend. I'm thinking my next set of books will be in by then.
Old 01-07-2008, 02:26 PM   #24  
Recovering Sugarholic

When I started reading Birth of Venus, which I think was recommended first by my dear Laurie (where is she??), she told me she envied me the experience of reading it for the first time. I 100% agree it was an experience and a lovely one at that. Sorry to keep you up, Kim!!
Old 01-09-2008, 08:19 AM   #25  

I love to read!

I started reading the Jim Butcher Dresden Files series in November and I am now on book six, Blood Rites. I have books seven and eight waiting for me because Dh just finished them. Book nine comes out in February, so I have a few weeks to finish them. Once I am caught up on that series I plan to read a few books I got for Christmas.

One is the young adult fantasy Inkheart by Cornelia Funke. I wanted to read it before the movie comes out because the movies are never as good.

I am also starting the classic, The Worm Ouroboros by E.R. Eddison because I have seen so many references to it in the Academic journals I was reading that I have to read it for myself so I will get the references, lol.

I am thinking those should get me through February and then I will make a new booklist in March. It all depends on how much time I have between work, children and housework I have to read.
Old 01-09-2008, 08:51 AM   #26  
Visualizing the Goal

Height: 5'4"

Oh, Stephanie. The Mitford series! Tom's mom got me into Jan Karon and I just adore Father Tim. You make me want an orange chiffon cake!!!

Kara
Old 01-10-2008, 03:15 PM   #27  

Well, my fellow beachy readers, I sent two books back without reading them! I sent The Yada Yada book back because I just didn't get into it. I really think I needed the background of books 1 & 2 to do that. I added book 1 to my list, but probably won't read it for a while. I've got way too many books vying for the top spot right now! (Also, Jessie, please don't think this is your fault! I just saw your list and wanted to try something new! I've loved two of the books you suggested and am looking forward to several others on your list.)

So, what am I going to do without any new books to read in the house? Why clean, of course!! Hahaha! DH thinks that the house will be cleaner than it has been since we moved in after this weekend!
Old 01-10-2008, 04:35 PM   #28  
Recovering Sugarholic

I starting re-reading a book last night...that is almost unheard of for me anymore! I shouldn't, really, when I have such a HUGE TBR pile but I was feeling sort of emotional after learning my cousin is pregnant...that's another whole story but the two cousins who are very close to me in age are both preggo...and I've been having fertility issues so I've just been slightly overemotinal! Could be the hormones I am on!...ANYWAY, so for some comfort reading I picked up A Prayer for Owen Meany by John Irving, which is one of my favorite books of all time and one I think everyone, male and female, can read and love. Right now I am (as they say here in TN) "fixing to" pack up and go home and read in bed...

I did start The Glass Castle by Jeannette Walls the other night and I think I will finish it. It seems well-written although depressing. Has anyone read it?
Old 01-12-2008, 06:30 AM   #29  
Visualizing the Goal

Height: 5'4"

Jessie, I love John Irving! I haven't yet read A Prayer for Owen Meany but I will definitely pick it up soon!

I just finished the Cussler book I was reading. It was the first of Oregon files I've read and I was impressed. Such a fun adventure story!

I'm going to pick up Animal, Vegetable, Miracle tonight and I'll be sure to report back.

Kara
Old 01-12-2008, 11:46 AM   #30  
Live, Laugh, Love

I already read 2 this year! HOLY COW I have time for such? Rather enjoyed The Quickie by James Patterson, and also read The Husband by Dean Koontz. It was alright, but nothing spectacular. I still have Brother Odd by Dean Koontz (3rd in a series) and You've Been Warned by James Patterson. Those are my 2 favorites lately. I love some thrillers!
Closed Thread