Old 07-06-2019, 03:41 PM   #1  

Default Steel Magnolias #44

Good afternoon! Sunny here today and doesn’t seem as hot. Jack took the car to be washed and picked up a couple things at the store. He wants Sonic for dinner. Good thing, I forgot to get meat out of freezer. He’s snoozing in his recliner at the moment.

I am going to work upstairs in the morning I think. Jack’s going to the haircut place tomorrow afternoon. I’m fixing chicken rice casserole for dinner tomorrow.

CeeJay: Don’t stress about his gut issue. It can happen for a variety of reasons, his most likely from his chemo. I have had it each time I had intestinal surgery. As to the yarn, here goes. I have several pics. I am making an afghan with mitered pattern and it’s rainbow colors (see pic of afghan.) The round yarn they call it, “cakes” not skeins and I am making the shawl with it (see shawl pic.) I added a pic of how the cake of yarn looks when it’s knitted too. Lastly, the white yarn with colored stripes I am making into socks. They had a sale so I picked up yarn for a few projects.

Jean: I never thought I’d want to attempt miter, but I have enough experience it won’t be hard. Basically a mitered pattern is where you start with 49 stitches, every row is a knit row, but every other row in the middle of the row you do a double decrease. It causes a ridge right up the square. When you get to only one stitch left, you take it, turn the square, cast on 48 stitches up the side of the square and then knit the rows the same until you get to one, turn, cast on, etc, etc. This pattern you end up with 4 pieces then you just stitch them together. I use Dawn for any stain that is oil or fat based. I use Shout for regular stains.

Well ladies you all have a good weekend.

Last edited by gma22; 07-06-2019 at 03:43 PM.
gma22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2019, 10:49 PM   #2  

Good Evening! It’s been a beautiful day in my neighborhood: sunny, cooler, low humidity, a slight breeze, and quiet — no fire crackers and no one mowing! Love it! I’ve done some laundry, read my library book, and just puttered ignoring my “to do” list completely.

Ceejay, I’m so glad your bil is feeling better. I will send positive vibes that he can have his treatment on Monday.

”Gma,” thank you for starting the new thread. The rainbow colors will be so pretty! Will the afghan be large enough for your bed, lap size, or decoration over a couch/chair? As I’ve said before, you have far more patience than I do. I had a go around with Saran Wrap after lunch today. I usually end up with a wad, throw it in the garbage, then try again.

I just watched some of the videos from the California earthquake. I can’t imagine being in a grocery store when things start flying off the shelves. One video was a lady sitting beside her curio cabinet which was a pile of broken glass. I felt so sorry for her. Another was a pool with the water rolling out. I’ll stick with tornadoes and say my prayers.

I need to wash my green bean sauce pan so it is ready for more beans tomorrow. Have a super Sunday tomorrow!
Jean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2019, 02:02 PM   #3  

Good afternoon. Hot and sticky today. It’s pretty overcast too. Hopefully, no rain tomorrow. It is my waxing appointment.

Poor Jack. He went to get dinner at Sonic, they had just brought it out and she told him he had a flat tire. It was 90 here yesterday and it took him two hours because he had trouble with the Jack. He was soaked in sweat when he got home and didn’t even eat. He had a bottle of water and 2 gatorades, took some Advil, watched the baseball game and slept in his recliner last night. I was worried about him so I slept downstairs too. I promptly bought a membership to AAA. He is never going through that again.

Catherines was having a sale so I bought 5 dresses, slacks, top, and mesh cardigan for the cruise next year. I then went to Macys and bought shoes to match. They were having a sandal sale. I got some cute dress ones.

Jean: It is more like a lap blanket (see pic.) Our fireworks have stopped so they must have run out. I noticed yesterday the condo straight across from us was rented again. We still have at least three empty near us. Don’t really mind that. I too ignored my to do and made it a to don’t for today. Jack went and got a new tire this morning and is on his way home from getting his hair cut. He has his haircuts calendared up to the cruise. I thought women were obsessed.

Everyone have a good day.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 470F3DC3-BDE1-4313-B538-9F47F2085FBE.jpg (27.7 KB, 4 views)
Old 07-07-2019, 04:19 PM   #4  

Good Afternoon! It’s another beautiful day in my neighborhood and quiet which makes it even better! I have the sliding doors open and the air just came on. Hmmm, fresh air or cool air? It’s not supposed to be that hot this afternoon so I am opting for fresh! I’ve done another load of laundry and read the paper. Bob offered chicken dinners for lunch. We usually go get them and bring them home but I was hungry for mashed potatoes and gravy. You get more of the two sides if you eat there so away we went. We thought we were going early but the restaurant was pretty full. I suppose with the holiday weekend and people heading home since I only recognized a couple people. (Who has been to church, of course! )

“Gma,” I feel sorry for Jack and his flat tire! I would have had to call someone to come change it for me, probably Bob. Being too hot and tired to eat his late meal was too bad. I have a top with a Catherine’s label in it but I don’t know where I got it. Sioux City had a store a long time ago but I never bought anything there. I wonder if a lady named Catherine started the store. You are going to be one snazzy lady on the cruise! I will be anxious to see the finished afghan!

I need to vacuum fur bunnies so best get at it. Hope you all enjoy a nice day!

Last edited by Jean; 07-07-2019 at 04:20 PM.
Old 07-08-2019, 11:42 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 200/189/165

Height: 5 ft 1 inch

Afternoon,
Went to church this morning. Bil preached today standing behind the pulpit. He has done so much better except for the mid part of the week. His daughter came for the week end. He's supposed to have more chemo Monday. I pray that this one doesn't zap him like the last round did.
Finishing this on Monday morning.
I thought nephew was going home but evidently I was wrong. He back here and sick on top of this. He went to work this morning but came back home stating that he is running fever again. He wanted to stay out in the living room with me and I told him NO get in your room. I can't afford to be sick this week. I'm helping your mom and bil. I'm going to Branson tomorrow so I can bring bil back to his doctor on Wednesday.
Going to try to play next Sunday morning, so I need to find some easy hymn's and start practicing.

GMA22
I like the colors of the yarn can't wait to see the finished product. Poor Jack on having a flat at Sonic. I have AAA but thankfully never had to use it. I got it when I was driving back and forth to my uncles in Paragould. My eyes must be deceiving me, yarn looks like yam.

Jean
I've had my vacuum out for a week and finally got that done this morning.
ceejay52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 06:44 PM   #6  

Good Afternoon! Another nice day in my neighborhood, sunny and a breeze blowing in open doors and windows. It’s been a “I can’t get motivated” kind of day. I don’t know what my problem is but I can sure waste a lot of time. Church counting went fine this morning, not many people in church but some hefty checks came through. I dropped my card order and a check off at the hospital. I put a load of towels in the washer after lunch, then remembered to switch them to the dryer. Now they are folded and ready to go upstairs. I need to make a grocery list and head there first thing tomorrow. Bob is at church for a finance meeting so I won’t see him for an hour or so. Not sure what is on tap for supper.

Ceejay, I’m glad your bil felt well enough to preach from the pulpit yesterday. I hope you don’t catch whatever bug your nephew has. Stay away from him and use lots of bacteria/germ killer! I had to read your yarn vs yam a couple times. I didn’t get it at first!

I need to write a couple cards for church so better do that before I forget. Hope you have enjoyed a nice day!
Old 07-08-2019, 07:09 PM   #7  

Evening ladies. I went to waxing and brother! I did something to my back laying there so long. The gal had to help me get up and bless her heart she was tiny. It hurt so bad I couldn’t move. I leaned against the bed a good 5 minutes, went and sat in the waiting room, then got to the car. I turned the heated seats on and got myself home, but the d*** garage door wouldn’t open and the gate was locked. I was hurting, had to go to the bathroom and just sat there and cried. I called Jack twice but he never picked up. He said their service was down. I calmed myself down and looked for the hanger he uses on the gate. We have one of those gates with the metal teeth that go over a bar and the bolt slides in place to lock or unlock. Since the garage problem Jack put a hanger in each car. I got in the house and hurt so much I just sat in the dark. I forced myself up to go to the bathroom, got back in the chair and just sat. Finally got ahold of Jack and told him there was no way I could cook so he picked up Piccadilly cafeteria. We’re a pair because he said his front thighs and bum cheeks are hurting from the tire stuff. I finished eating, went to the bathroom, got ready for bed, took 3 Advil and put the heating pad on. Thank goodness I have no where to go until Friday.

I hope the garage people call soon and come and install the new garage door opener. I had to leave the Lincoln parked in front of the garage until Jack got home. We had a thunderstorm come through in that hour, cooled it down about 15 degrees so the garage door opened when he got home. He put both cars away.

CeeJay: There are several thicknesses of yarn and it’s called “weight.” You have lace weight used to make very delicate things like doilies, shawls etc, fingering is used mostly for socks, sport yarn, dk, worsted, bulky and extra bulky. Yarn is made from everything from silk, cashmere, alpaca, mohair, wool, merino wool, bamboo, acryllic and on and on. They are sold by skeins, hanks, or cakes. Then of course you have needle sizes 0 to 17, 18, etc. It’s kind of crazy. I buy yarn according to what and whom. I only use washable and dryable on babies, kids, or things that get dirty easily like blankets, afghans and such. They do marvelous things with yarns too. You can get stuff that self stripes, self patterns, gradient in colors, all kinds of things. Hope all went well for bil today and nephew is over his whatever.

Jean: Except for bbq, chicken reigns supreme here. We have several chains ie KFC, Popeyes, etc then local chains that have spread out like Gus’s. We have a Nashville hot chicken place across the street from my hair salon. I don’t want to eat something that singes off my tongue taste buds. Don’t get me wrong, I love hot wings, but I don’t do that scorching stuff. Actually, yes, Catherine Weaver started her first store and it was based here in Memphis. It was 1960 and at that time was called Catherines Charming. Today corporate is still here and is called Charming Shoppes, Inc. Lane Bryant was bought by Lerner and changed the corporate name to Brylane, which owns plus size online stores Woman Within and Roamans. It also owns A large mans online store and Brylane Home, which is like Overstock or Wayfair. I love their stuff. It used to be fuddy duddy old lady looking stuff but not anymore. I buy pretty much everything from there except, pjs and undies from Woman Within and I buy Glamorize bras so get them wherever they are sold in my size and the cheapest.

You ladies have a good evening.
Old 07-09-2019, 11:22 AM   #8  

Went to weigh in this morning and only lost a 1/2 pound. Decided that I need the accountability. I am going to do this.
There is much else going on. Still hot and humid.
I haven't decided as to whether I need to go to Branson this afternoon or wait till in the morning to go. Bil's appointment is late tomorrow afternoon. Sis said that he has done better this time around and time will tell.

gma22
hope you are feeling better

Last edited by ceejay52; 07-09-2019 at 11:23 AM.
Old 07-09-2019, 06:28 PM   #9  

Good Afternoon! It’s a sunny, breezy, humid day in my neighborhood. I made a quick trip to the grocery store this morning for meat loaf ingredients and potatoes for lunch. I wanted to try baking something in the oven so when the repairman calls I can tell him it worked better or not. I still don’t think it’s right, the preheat buzzer went off and the thermometer showed it “cooler” than it usually does. I turned it up and the meatloaf did brown but not like I thought it should, took way too long. Anyhow, I still think cooking is a waste of time! After lunch I took checks back to the hospital and stopped by the library. I had picked out a Nora Roberts book and just couldn’t get into it. Our library is across the street from the court house; Tuesday is court day so parking places are at a premium. There are two fifteen minute spots on the court house side and I managed to get one after several trips around the block. I am on a J. D. Robb kick so didn’t take long to find new books.

“Gma,” what a terrible thing to happen with your back! I hope you feel better today. Jack too! I don’t eat anything too spicy but I have graduated to “medium” salsa that the grocery store deli makes. I’ve gotten so I can rarely finish a hamburger when we eat in a restaurant; around here they have gone to 1/3# and up in size. By the time the extra goodies and bun are included I can hardly get my mouth open wide enough. Sometimes I take it apart and eat the meat with half a bun. I do tend to order chicken more often than beef lately. Sioux City still has a Lane Bryant store. It used to be in the mall but moved to a strip mall. The big mall is 40 years old and had Sears at one end, Target at the other but now Penney’s, and a department store in the middle. The Sears and department stores are empty along with several smaller shops. Barnes & Nobles book store and a huge sporting goods store are still at one end close to Sears. Bob wonders if the owners might tear out what is between them and Penney’s. When we were in college the whole area was corn fields.

Ceejay, losing a half is better than gaining a half! Keep working on the process and you will get results. Hope your bil continues to feel good and his treatment happens.

Bob is home and hinting he is hungry, told him it is leftover meatloaf or pb&j! Hope you enjoy a nice evening!
Old 07-10-2019, 05:50 PM   #10  

Good Afternoon! The sun is shining with big poofy white clouds moving through. It is very windy with 30-40 mph gusts. Today was my lunch bunch so a good excuse not to start any projects at home. I was up several times last night for trips to the bathroom. I can never figure that out; if I have a lot of extra salt, no salt, drink late in the evening or nothing. It makes no difference in that sometimes I sleep all night and other times not. I hate getting up in the winter when it is cold! Anyhow, I feel like a nap! I am having trouble with a joint(s) in my thumb locking. It hurts when I bend it and it pops back. My main concern is being able to pick up my bells at church. I feel stupid going to the doctor but may have to do just that.

Not much else newsy from here. Tomorrow is our last baseball game for the summer. Maddy starts driver’s ed. Sunday night so we hope to have supper with them Friday night. Hope you enjoy a nice evening!
Old 07-11-2019, 11:46 AM   #11  

Jean
This is kind of strange in that I've been having pain and swelling in the area of my joint on my left hand. I've had carpal tunnel in the right hand but it wasn't in the same place. I'm with you that cooking is a waste of time.
gma22
how is you back doing today?
-------
I drove to Branson around noon yesterday. Bil had an appointment at 4 in Springfield to get his pump off and he wanted some IV fluids to keep him from getting dehydrated. Chemo is some mighty powerful stuff. I forgot to get my cell phone so when he got set up with his IV I came home to get that and to pick up a couple of other items.
It started to rain as I got to Branson and the clouds really let loose before we had to leave. Thankfully the rain had slowed down to a drizzle by the time we left.
Going to be working outside this afternoon because it is much cooler today. There was "a cold front" that came in behind the rain and knock the temperatures way down.

Last edited by ceejay52; 07-11-2019 at 11:48 AM.
Old 07-11-2019, 03:37 PM   #12  

Good Afternoon! Another beautiful day in my neighborhood, sunny and just a breeze blowing. My sliding doors are open and the Orioles, hummingbirds, squirrels, and birds have been visiting. I dusted and vacuumed this morning plus another load of laundry is done. I could iron but will be leaving for Ian’s game in a short while.

Ceejay, hope the pain and swelling in your arm go away on their own. Maybe you over stretched something when you were working in your yard. I’ve heard chemo described as poison, which I guess technically it is. I know there are all different kinds and when one doesn’t work they try something else. Hope your bil did ok this time around. How many treatments does he have to have? Our humidity is way down so it doesn’t seem nearly as hot as it could. I’d much rather have doors and windows open than the air on. The weather is just plain unpredictable lately!

I need to change clothes and be ready to roll when Bob gets home. Have a nice rest of the day and enjoy!
Old 07-13-2019, 12:16 PM   #13  

Jean
Bil is scheduled to have 6 chemo treatments. He goes for lab work Monday. He's scheduled for every 2 weeks unless his lab work is off kilter.

------------
Nephew has gone home I hope for good. He brought his boys over last night. I sure do like them. Think nephew is going to have to introduce a new way of parenting. He likes to play rough with them but they are getting to the age they don't like that. He can get a little too rough.
I weighed in this morning and lost 1 pound. I'm getting the hang of this program. However, I was craving MCD's hotcakes and sausage this morning so I need to be careful the rest of the day food wise.
Ned to get on with my day. First thing is the gym.

Last edited by ceejay52; 07-13-2019 at 12:18 PM.
Old 07-13-2019, 12:34 PM   #14  

Good morning. Went grocery shopping this morning early befor rain moves it. Got it put away and sat down to eat a prepackaged chicken salad sandwich I bought at the store. They’re actually not bad, but then I have eaten them and tuna salad ones for years when we travel. They usually carry them in convenience stores.

My cruise stuff is coming in piece by piece. I took one dress back yesterday and am taking the evening gown back. Pretty, but the lace overlay on the top creeps up because it is smaller that the dress. So far everything has been good. I do have to get pants hemmed and I don’t want to drag out my sewing machine. I’ll wait until cooler weather this fall and go over to dry cleaners and have her pin them up and hem them. My shoes all came and as long as my feet don’t swell I’ll be ok. I’ll take one pair of neutral dress sandals to wear just in case.

CeeJay: Hope your aches have gone away too. Good that your bil is starting to tolerate the stuff better. Yep, part of the nausea is getting dehydrated, but thinking about drinking makes you sick,etc, etc. Glad he could get IV fluids. You are some kind of worker bee out in your yard. I have to kill weeds again. How far away is Branson from where you live? Congrats on the loss. Any is a good thing.

Jean: We are so hot and humid here I hate to leave the house. Our heat index was 101 yesterday. We are going to cool off for a day or two but in exchange we are going to get tropical storm rains on Monday. They said 3-5 inches! I eat more chicken than beef. I just like it better. Jack’s got some wacky named condition on his hand between ring finger and pinkie. It is on the hand he had surgery on. The finger will stiffen up and not straighten. It is some muscle thing.

You gals keep cool and have a nice Saturday. I am off to knit on my shawl.
Old 07-13-2019, 05:06 PM   #15  

Good Afternoon! It is not so hot but more humid in my neighborhood today. We got up to rain but the sun is shining brightly now. I’ve done my usual Saturday chores: changed the sheets on the bed, a couple loads of laundry, and cleared off the kitchen counters again. I think some little (BIG!) clutter gremlin lives here! Our late baseball game Thursday night and trip to Sioux City last night is catching up with me. Another game tomorrow afternoon will end our baseball trips since Ian will have football camp and not able to play Monday night. Their tournament games are further north and too far for us to go.

Ceejay, I hope your bil can have his treatment on Monday. I know how disappointing it is when the blood work isn’t a “go.” on a pound gone, and going to the gym to start your day! When we went to the ballgame Thursday night the concession stand wasn’t open. We leave home too close to having lunch so not hungry but on the way home, I said I was getting hungry and Bob agreed he was too. A town close to home has a McD that is open 24 hours so we stopped. The hamburgers and fries were fresh and hot! We never eat at the local McD but it sure tasted good at midnight!

“Gma,” I need to go after bread and milk this afternoon. I try to not go on the weekend if I can help it but for some reason I goofed this time around. After I threatened to post on FB about their lousy customer service, I finally got an email on returning the shoes from China. There was nothing on the original email order, and of course no paperwork came with the shoes. It will probably cost a fortune for postage but it is the principle of the thing. Live and learn! I ordered some shirts and the UPS bag, which the poor mailman had to handle, was so filthy and gritty that I am going to cut it apart and send it off to the CEO if I can get an address. I have the address for the regional a** manager who could care less. He says, “it is what is is!” The baseball coach was giving instructions for the tournament games and said the dug out smells like Ben Gay from all the aches and pains. Ian got hit by the pitcher twice last week. Amanda said he has a huge bruise on his hip. I stopped by Walgreens and bought some; my dad used to use it and I had forgotten. I like the smell since it clears out my nose.

Lots of traffic going by here this afternoon, guess the drivers don’t believe the “no outlet” sign at the corner. Hope you all are enjoying a nice day doing whatever.

Last edited by Jean; 07-13-2019 at 05:07 PM.