Closed Thread

Old 02-02-2005, 12:48 PM   #76  

Default Steel Cut vs. Rolled Oats

Hi all. So I was curious what the difference was between steel-cut and rolled oats. Turns out, a lot. Rolled oats are steamed and rolled into those nice little shapes we're used to.
Steel-cut are the wheat groats cut up with steel blades - take longer to cook and are chewier. What I read said you could substitute one for the other, but take into account that the rolled will cook more quickly and be squishier in texture.

I just bought a breakfast cereal that's made up of "cracked wheat, cracked rye, and whole flax." I think I'm going to try making the cobbler with that, because it looks similar to the steel-cut oats. We'll see!!

Angela
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rolledoats.jpg (5.2 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg steelcutoats2.jpg (8.8 KB, 12 views)
Old 02-02-2005, 12:50 PM   #77  
Southside White Sox Fan

Didn't mean to make you cry, Kath, although it does sometimes release the pressure. Just wanted you to know that others understand and care.
Old 02-02-2005, 12:53 PM   #78  
Southside White Sox Fan

Angela, you are just the best! Thanks for the research. I think I'm going to try to find a small box of steel cut at Trader Joe's. I'm sure they have it. Maybe I'll even like it for my cereal. I LOVE chewy because it gives me so much satisfaction.
Old 02-02-2005, 01:01 PM   #79  
Southside White Sox Fan

While looking at Barbos Diet Kitchen (always gotta find new recipes!), I saw a link to an article by Dr. Phil about how to lose the last 20 pounds. Now we all know that I'm no where near to my last 20 pounds. I went to read it because some day I will be and because some of my girlfriends are in this range. I read them and I think they make alot of sense. Check it out. I really thought of you, Frouf, because it talks about the negative impact of stress hormones on our weight loss efforts. Here's the link. http://www.barbosdietkitchen.com/index.pl?read=31663.
Old 02-02-2005, 01:06 PM   #80  
Card Carrying Princess

S/C/G: 225/197/150

Wink

Oh great - not only am I not eating enuf but it seems that "high stress hormones can break down precious muscle"...in my case precious "little" muscle! And I must "modify my response to stress"...now that's gonna be difficult - hard to modify my response to "complete rejection"!! hmmmm

But the good news is I do take CLA and Co-enzyme Q10 and chromium and omega 3-6-9. However I admit that I definitely NEED MORE SLEEP! (and lots more exercise!!)

Thanks Vickie!

Frouf
Old 02-02-2005, 01:57 PM   #81  

Lisa, way to go on another great loss! Angela, I hope you have a good WI tonight too. Fluid retention is always a possibility though when the dreaded TOM is approaching, at least for me, so if your loss isn't what you hoped it would be just remember it will be better next week. Easier said than done, right? Froufy, hopefully you won't plateau ... since you've been doing some exercising that will probably help to keep your body guessing and efficiently using the food you eat.

KO, hope you are feeling better soon. I made the Polenta by mixing 1 cup coarsely ground corn meal with 1 1/2 cup skim milk and 1 1/2 cup water and then microwaving it in 4 minute intervals, stirring after every interval. I think I ended up microwaving it in a bowl for 12 or so minutes and then spread it in a baking dish and microwaved it for another 2 or 3 minutes that way. I'm not sure I'll make it again ... it's not what I was expecting. All things considered, I'd much rather have corn bread! :-) However, there are some recipes where you spread polenta very thinly and make a corn tortilla kind of thing so that might be good to try.

Vickie and Angela, thanks for the information about the steel cut oats. Isn't that crazy that they cost so much more when they are less processed than regular oatmeal? I'll have to do some scouting around to see if I can find some at another store since I can't bring myself to pay $7.00+ for one regular size box ... I could get 2 pints of Ben and Jerry's for that! I wish there was a Trader Joe's anywhere within reasonable driving distance for me.

Kathy, I hope good memories outweigh the pain of your loss today. I'll add my hugs to those of the others.
Old 02-02-2005, 01:59 PM   #82  

Wow, I just clicked on the barbosdietkitchen link in Vickie's post and it says the website has been suspended. I wonder if they got shut down by WW or something for divulging too much information about Core? Anybody else get that message when they tried to access the site?
Old 02-02-2005, 02:05 PM   #83  

Height: 5'7"

I got that message too. Hmmm ... not good.
Old 02-02-2005, 02:06 PM   #84  
Card Carrying Princess

Hey Deborah - I think/hope it's just a temporary glitch. I accessed it a little while ago with no problem??? I would try again later??

Frouf
Old 02-02-2005, 02:30 PM   #85  

Hopefully, it is just a glitch, Froufie ... I liked looking at the recipes over there and I was wanting to read the Dr. Phil article that Vickie mentioned. I'll keep checking and we'll hope for the best. I don't recall that they were overly explicit in their Core information so maybe it is something totally unrelated. Time will tell, I guess.
Old 02-02-2005, 04:07 PM   #86  

Default Question

I have a question for you expert Corers! Do you count as extra points packaged fajita spice mix? I know the chicken and peppers are core but wasn't sure about the package spice mix. Thanks a lot!
Old 02-02-2005, 04:12 PM   #87  

Height: 5'7"

My info says that all spices are okay -- and that would include packaged spice mixes I assume. In fact, cayenne and other "hot" spices are thermogenic and they are helpful in burning fat!

Enjoy your fajitas!
Old 02-02-2005, 04:16 PM   #88  
Card Carrying Princess

I didn't count the spice mix either - read the nutritional info and ingredients and it seem pretty good to me (like 0.3 fat grams)....and besides how much of it is in each serving? (and a lot of eat ends up as liquid in bottom of pan anyways)...Enjoy!

And for inquiring minds - curious about the Dance Revolution stuff, here is the exercise link that discusses it in GREAT DETAIL: http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=50212

I myself think I would love this as I am the "dancey" type - need to find it somewhere here - not sure if I can get it online from US as many don't ship to Canada (then of course there's that nasty exchange rate). Might be a nice early birthday present?

Froufie
Old 02-02-2005, 06:07 PM   #89  

Man, I am having fun with this dance game! My sister came over (a 21 year old dancer) and she beat my high score all to pieces. But I will try to reclaim my title, even if it takes me all week! And the best thing is, I'll be burning fat in the process.

Angela
Old 02-02-2005, 07:46 PM   #90  
Southside White Sox Fan

Thanks for the link to the DDR thread, Frouf. Your lazy girlfriend (that would be me) appreciates your finding it for us! I read every post. I was hoping there would be more on the TV hook up kind. I'm retired and don't have a PS2 or XBox. I'm also pretty fickle and I'm not sure I'll like it, especially if it's hard on your knees. I'm going to do some internet research and see if I can find the hookup one. The lady said she only paid $18.99. I could afford that!

Still can't get into the Barbos Diet Kitchen site. I'll keep trying. Now I wish I had printed that darn list. I wanted to go back and read it more carefully, especially about the supplements. I always feel stressed and am interested in reducing the cortisol reaction. My belly is way huger than everthing else which is supposed to be an indicator of high cortisol levels.
Closed Thread