Closed Thread

Old 09-09-2004, 10:30 PM   #16  

S/C/G: 178/see ticker/113

Height: 5'3

I don't find Core restrictive for me. I love that I am eating whole wheat items and more milk and fruit (my kids love it too) and I feel freedom from not having to count pts anymore or journal. The closer I got to my goal weight the more tired I was becoming of journaling and counting and I was really wondering if I could do it forever... and then an answer came!! CORE!! It is just the plan I was looking for, honestly.
This has been a very interesting thread!
Old 09-10-2004, 01:00 AM   #17  

I thin Core is not restrictive but you do have to do more planning, cooking. What's great is that I can switch from week to week.
Old 09-10-2004, 07:15 AM   #18  
Janette

For me, there is less meal planning with Core because all I have to do is put whatever I have in the panty together for a meal. I don't have to worry about how many points the total is--just choose a meat and whatever sides I am hungry for. As long as I don't combine rice with potatoes (something I would never do because that's not the way I learned it those many years ago in "homemaking" class ) I am ok. Meat, starch, veggies, that's it! Of course, I made an effort to stock up on all core foods. It was what I was buying anyway, just had to change my cereal (Raisin Bran nut). I pack my snacks from what is in the fridge (again, all core) and if I need it at work I eat it. As far as more cooking, I'm older than most of you so I'm used to cooking. DH wants his home-cooked meat and potatoes meal every night!
Old 09-10-2004, 08:59 AM   #19  
Cowboy Up Chick

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiftieslady
Those who had 100 pounds to lose had at least 10 more minimum points to use every day than I did. They could afford to eat full fat foods and still be able to stay on program. With a minimum of 22 and eventually 18 pts. per day I could not. There is no way to eat 18 pts. a day, get all your fruits/veggies, milk, and protein in without eating very small servings and being hungry at the end of the day.
Why do you say this. I started at 24 points a day minimum and found I enjoyed everything I did without being hungry at the end of the day by utilizing what everyone is learning with Core. I still and always have eaten full fat items, gotten in my requirements and felt satisified. I realize that some people including you may not have and that is fine.

Quote:
We were encouraged to save (bank) points for the weekend so that we could eat out and still stay on program.
Maybe your meetings did this BUT mine did not. Mine ecouraged us to eat all our available daily points and use EXTREME meals for days that we were dining out. Again I am not putting you or Core down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fifitieslady
I don't think counting points and journaling work long term. Life has a way of side tracking us just long enough to let the old habits creep back in. Kids have trouble in school, they leave home, they come back, divorce, births, deaths, illness, injuries.
For me journaling and point counting is a way of having at least one thing in my life when life throws you curve balls that I can control. Maybe I find journalling and point counting easy because I have been doing it and I enjoy it. So I am not knocking your program but sharing my experiences so please do not 'slam' me with this is better or that is better because I am not. You were talking about falling into bad habits when life tosses you a curveball but if you have made CORE or FLEX your habit you shouldn't unless you let yourself.

Core and Flex are both 100% great programs with downfalls on both sides DEPENDING on the INDIVIDUAL.
Old 09-10-2004, 10:36 AM   #20  

Having done Atkins before, I don't find CORE restrictive at all. I've done flex but found I was not having milk, yogurt or popcorn to save points for dining out. Now I have all the healthy things I like and make wiser choices when going out to eat. I don't feel like I'm cheating and I'm really enjoying all the healthy new choices I'm making. CORE has been really easy to adapt to and my kids are enjoying the food, too.
Old 09-10-2004, 10:51 AM   #21  
Cowboy Up Chick

waterlilies, It is all about what makes us feel liberated. What made me feel best was counting points, watching portions and following the PointsPies with Core-type foods. What makes some others feel liberated is following Core all the time. Still others find using Flex or Core depending on their week the best.

Last edited by Kelly_S; 09-10-2004 at 11:31 AM.
Old 09-10-2004, 03:20 PM   #22  

Kel, I completely agree. We all have different lifestyles and what may be convenient or work for one person may not for another. Both plans are great as far as I'm concerned. I'm just going with what works for me. My lifestyle is busy enough that I want to be able to say, "okay, I can have these foods" and move on knowing that I made the healthiest choice for ME. The main thing that attracted me to the CORE plan was the idea behind the plan....making healthy choices and eating more unprocessed foods while losing weight. For me, what got me into this weight mess is what I'm getting rid of while having the structure I crave. Again, what may be the best choice for me, may not be the best choice for anyone else and that's okay.
Old 09-10-2004, 04:37 PM   #23  

OK - can we add M&M's???? After all, they are made from chocolate = cocoa beans = beans are a veggie aren't they!!!!!!!

JUST KIDDING!!!!! SOUNDS GOOD ANYWAY - I'M PMSING TODAY AND CHOCOLATE IS MY MONTLY CRAVING!
Old 09-10-2004, 06:45 PM   #24  
Janette

Kellye, you "disagree" with everything I say and when I respond I am "slaming" you. I am giving my experience with the points program and my point of view or opinion. I believe I have that right without you copying my post and trying to prove me wrong.
You are the one posting on the Core Support Board and "disagreeing" with the program saying that journaling and counting points is the way to go for you. That's not what Core is about. I say again "it did not work for me in maintenance" and that is what I am after. I can lose weight on any plan. I lost 65 lbs on my own cutting fat and exercising. I need something that will work for me for the rest of my life. I say again, "I pray that Core is the program."

I come here for support and to learn more about the Core program, not to argue with you. If you don't respond to my posts, I won't respond to yours.

Janette
Old 09-10-2004, 06:59 PM   #25  
Working My Way Back Down

All diets - or programs if you like - are restrictive. Some restrict what you can eat (Core, Atkins, SB) and others restrict the amount you can eat (Flexpoints). Some combine both. All that matters is that each of us decide which restriction we can live with. WW has finally recognized that one size does not fit all - hence the Turnaround Program. It might take awhile to decide which way works best for you, but that's the beauty of it.
Old 09-10-2004, 07:57 PM   #26  
Janette

I agree WaterRat. There is no plan that will let you have it all. Core is new, we are trying it. I trust WW to know what they are doing. So far I have lost 5 lbs. I am happy with that. I will take it a day at a time. I will work the program. I will get my exercise time in. In the end, that is all we can do.
Old 09-11-2004, 11:05 AM   #27  
Cowboy Up Chick

Quote:
I believe I have that right without you copying my post and trying to prove me wrong.
I copy posts not to prove you wrong but so you and others will know what I am responding to as threads tend to get long.

Quote:
You are the one posting on the Core Support Board and "disagreeing" with the program saying that journaling and counting points is the way to go for you.
Who says you can't journal and count points and still eat Core? I am saying that is what works for me...has for many years. I am not saying you nor anyone else has to do that and that is is better than following one ARM or the other ARM of one W/W Program.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fifitieslady
That's not what Core is about. I say again "it did not work for me in maintenance" and that is what I am after. I can lose weight on any plan. I lost 65 lbs on my own cutting fat and exercising. I need something that will work for me for the rest of my life. I say again, "I pray that Core is the program."
Core is about eating whole, healthy foods. Ok it did not work in maintenance for you. I am glad you are trying to find the 'magic' and feel Core is it for you.

Quote:
I come here for support and to learn more about the Core program, not to argue with you. If you don't respond to my posts, I won't respond to yours.
I come in here to learn not only about Core but how it will work with with I am doing. To share experiences and recipes and talk. I only disagree with you on some points not all. Sorry you cannot see that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_rowland
OK - can we add M&M's???? After all, they are made from chocolate = cocoa beans = beans are a veggie aren't they!!!!!!!
Don't we wish! LOL!

Last edited by Kelly_S; 09-11-2004 at 11:08 AM.
Closed Thread