Diabetes Chat for May

You're on Page 5 of 10
Go to
  • WELCOME TO MEL!
    Trish: yes, this med can cause muscle pain, but please don't go off without checking in with your doctor about replacements. YOu are on it for a reason. (for instance, some studies show that it reduces amputations for diabetes by 31%. Thats pretty big, and if you are at risk, your doctor is being protective of you)
    I know how the muscle pain is awful, but if your doctor thinks you need something like this, let him find an alternative for you.
    Bonnie: so glad you are getting out and about again. Keep coming back.
    DId well last couple of days. Enjoyed some babysitting time and good weather, got a bit of exercise, ate well.
    Happy Mother's day friends. ttfn
  • Hi Everyone!

Mel inspired me to come back! I also have been gone for a long time now. Just to re-introduce myself...I am Monique and i'm a type 2 diabetic as of 2009. I thought I had a handle on my sugar and then this last A1c told me I don't. I am about to graduate from my masters program and I'm hoping to get refocused on my health goals. My last A1c was a 8.3 which is a bummer because the one before that was a 6.9. The lowest i've had was a 6.2 and I had lost about 10 pounds and felt fantastic. I currently live in Seattle Wa but will soon be moving back to my home base of California. I hope to make this board my diabetic support home base and be accountable. So here is to relaunching my health goal. I look forward to meeting you all! Happy Mother's day and have a great weekend!

Moni
  • Hello everyone!! If you don't remember me, it may be due to my username change. I used to be OneSecMel (I think that was it). then I found out a weird creepy guy was stalking me online and reading my 3fc posts - gah!! Soooo embarrassing, especially since it has my weight Booo.

Yesterday was a splendid day. I had soooo many veggies that I did get sick of them though ....(I knew that bowl of raw cabbage was a bad idea).

The only way for me to control my blood sugars is to make sure I do not eat meals too close together, and that is my biggest challenge, I tend to want to eat every two hours - but really I need to put four-five hours between meals.

My biggest goal was to give up carb based snacking - I made it all day but caved in the evening and had some popcorn. I don't feel TOO bad about it, after all the good choices I made.

I am glad Mo that you decided to try coming back!!! I am graduating from a master's program soon as well!!
  • I had issues with meal timing today. I had a small breakfast, then a mid-morning snack. I wasn't hungry again till mid afternoon, then not hungry at all till nearly 8 pm. But that's too late for me to eat because it drives up the DP. AAAAAuuuugggghhhh!!!! I'm not a slave to the clock or schedules, and that's what diabetes is turning me into!

Doesn't help when my sleep cycle is off. It's almost 1:30 in the morning. Just couldn't fall asleep. But I guess I'll go to bed now.

Welcome back Mel and Moni!
  • Monique: welcome back too. Mel, that is scary, but 3fc is open to just about anyone, which is why its ok to remain a bit anonymous. Glad you changed your screen name too.
    fbs 5.1 this am. Decided to change my ticker down finally after a week at this weight, I think it WILL stick. Its been crazy with work, and not much exercise.
    I am working on a strategy for the coming week to ensure more activity. I am at a conference most of the week though, so will have to exercise at specific times. Will also have to watch the food, they tend to have buffet meals and snacks in between at these things, I may bring my own food for the trip.
    Thought I did well yesterday, but needed a bedtime snack (after my small 9 pm snack that was meant to be it for the day) as I was starving at 1030 pm. Bah, don't know why that was. Anyhow,
    HAPPY MOTHERS DAY friends.
  • today has been sooo much better, so far so good!! breakfast was some whole what toast and crunchy peanut butter, had some cabbage later for a snack, and lunch was chorizo cooked in some beans. i know thats not the leanest choices, but this is my first ten day goal, cutting carbs!!
  • Hey Ladies Happy Mothers Day to everyone!!!

Been busy cleaning here today and doing good with all the eating . Dont know about working out cause it is raining out here today.. I hope everyone is having a good day!! See you all tomorrow!!
  • Been way too busy and off track to pop in here but hope you all are enjoying Mother's Day. I'm off to dinner shortly at a Greek restaurant - I thin souvlaki and salad may be my choice. I had a tuna and chickpea salad on arugula for lunch - I AM getting back into eating more veggies, see! My asparagus is really starting to produce and I've been roasting or grilling it. I love that veggie!

Thinking the edema was ended, I did not take my diuretic this morning - mistake! I will be wearing slippers out to dinner tonight! Actually they are quite attractive black velvet numbers so folks may think they are planned.

I promise I'll take the darned things more regularly this week. I don't want elephant legs for the long weekend coming up!
  • Hello,
    Been a good morning thus far - had whole wheat toast and peanut butter...now enjoying a mid morning snack of a cup of tea

Goe - I understand what you mean about having to be a slave to the clock. Timing is everything, isn't it? If you sleep late, it messes your body up for the entire day. For me, I have to space my eating apart or else I get all messed up. It sucks when you're really hungry but you know your blood sugar isn't down low enough to eat anything
  • Hi Chickies,

Hope everyone had a nice Mother's Day. Mine turned out very nice and even productive food wise. iWhich I will share below.

Mel and Monique

Ruthie - Your not the only one who has been off track. I have too. I've been dealing with a little bit of that edema, but I've been eating too much salt. So I know why mine is.

Mad - Have a good trip and I think I've finally learned that for me the WW Momentum/Flex plan is so much easier to follow in those kinds of situations. And CONGRATS on your weight loss you feel comfortable to put on the ticker.

Bonnie - Congratulations on staying OP.

Got up yesterday and dressed to go to church because DH decided the night before that we all were going. Then he decided not to go and I very ungraciously decided I wasn't going either. But it turned out that it was good for me to stay home because I was alone and really got some help from a preacher I'd never seen before.

I had weighed and I had gained 6 lbs. Now I'm sure some of that was from too much salt, but I was really angry with myself. What is so upsetting is that 7 more lbs and I'll be back where I was about 12 yrs ago. So I was really at me. Smart young preacher said, "The time to decide what you're not going to do is not when you are faced with the situation". He said "If you are on a diet, waiting till you wait until you get to the party to decide what you are not going to eat and what you want to eat... it will be to late because you will cave in." He said you have to "pre-decided" and created a new word he laughingly called "pre-cide" Well we all know that I'm notorious for being the lady who thinks she has to try every new diet that comes along.

Well, long story short I decided to go back on the old Flex Plan. I had written down all my foods yesterday and was really afraid I had gone too far on some things because DD and her family came home and made a Mother's Day brunch and it was loaded with carbs, but since I was very careful to eat extremely small amounts, I was thrilled/surprised to find that I had stayed within my Daily points and used only 6 of my Weekly pts. So I've actually got one day behind me and 2 of those gained 6 lbs is already gone this morning. I am following the 8 Good Health Guidelines so I'm making sure I'm doing this healthy. So Sunday will be my WI. I'm hoping that most of the 6lbs will be gone by Sunday since it is water gain.

I had thought of doing Atkins but it just doesn't fit in to our lifestyle or budget right now. I have most of my plan written out and will finish it in a few minutes. I won't be trying a million other things any more. I've "pre-cided" that this is the plan for me. I really have no problems when we go out to eat because I'm so Flex pt minded that I can just about figure the points in my head. Always did great when eating in restaurants especially Ryan's. I save most of my weekly pts for those times.

Hope everyone has a Marvelous Monday.
  • This morning my fbg was 129. I ate a bit carby at lunch yesterday, but since it was Mother's Day...got a taste of my son's cheesecake at the restaurant. But the big indulgence was the eggplant.

I am good friends with the owner of this chic little bistro in town. The owner had only just returned from two weeks in Spain and Portugal and he came back inspired. He served up this eggplant dish that was perfection! Very thinly sliced eggplant, dipped in rice flour and deep fried till just crisp, then topped with sugar cane molasses and Spanish salt. I only had three pieces, but it was enough to put me over the top with the carbs.

But so worth it!!!!

I'm going to an evening Pilates class to work it all off!
  • Nummy! Eggplant! I love that stuff and make an eggplant casserole a lot - no breading or frying but it works. I also use it in lasagna.

Well, weight is pretty much stuck at 182 (too many carbs & salt lately) but FBGL is in good control with readings in the 3.5 to 4.5 range. (That's 63 to 81 for folks not on metric. I've never been able to figure out why the USA doesn't use metric when HA1C is measured in metric. )

Life is very hectic lately with a fair amount of stress. It doesn't seem to be affecting my BGL but that may be why the weight is stuck. Stress = time shortage = grab & go food = carbs! Duh!
  • Love eggplant! Gonna make this quick cause we're going to see the avengers at the cinema....had three Riveta with Hummus for lunch...SMALL bit of bacon cooked for the protein, and a nice helping of cabbage. breakfast was All-Bran. Doing good so far! I already feel like i have more energy. I did cave at work and had a packet of crisps, but it was an emergency!! I was so hungry and the fruit i had packed was off. Oops! Have a good day all!
  • was never a fan of eggplant until a friend used it instead of noodles in a lasagna. Delish!
    Off to my conference, will still check in as I will have internet at the hotel.
    Have a good day friends
  • Blech, eggplant... ok, I will have to learn to love... err like eggplant. I'm going to end up being bored on cauliflower, broccoli and salad. I've added baby carrots, but TBH I'd rather skip the veggies (eating less at a meal) rather than eat the ones I don't like. Yeah, I know, tsk tsk!

So over the weekend, I got eaten alive. God how I hate mosquitoes and black flies. What on earth was the Lord thinking when creating these pests? Now I have swollen lymph nodes, several itchy bites, and one nasty 2 inch in diameter, red, hard, and hot bite on my leg. It's hard to walk, let alone do my exercises. But I did them!

I'm down 7 lbs from my start last Monday. I know most of that is water weight, but I'm still