Closed Thread

Old 05-15-2012, 01:07 PM   #76  

S/C/G: 221/219.8/150

Height: 5'2 1/4"

A quick flyby. Going with DH for his blood test, grab a bite somewhere and then make it back to the school to get DGD.
I've got 2 good days behind me on WW Momentum and my weight is almost back down to where it was before I gained those 6 lbs. Whew so glad.

Ruthie-I know you are on dieuretics but do you prop you feel up when you can? I even sleep with a pillow under my feet at night and it does help. Of course, limiting my salt intake helps as well.

Catch y'all later.
Old 05-16-2012, 07:00 AM   #77  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Weight is still up despite the diuretics so I guess it was a real gain. I'll just keep plugging along and keep trying to make good choices. (Chicken wings last night was NOT a good choice, even with salad!)

Off to the gym which seems to be getting harder, not easier.

Patty, I do prop up the feet when I am sitting watching TV but that may not be enough. I seem to be using my feet a lot.
Old 05-16-2012, 12:17 PM   #78  
Renaissance Woman

S/C/G: 363/306/185

Height: 5'10.5"

I'm feeling a bit low today. I believe all traces of diabetes meds are now out of my system because I'm starting to have higher morning numbers, like in the mid 140s. This occurs when I go over 30 net gm of carbs at dinner later in the day. It frustrates me because that seems to be the period of time when I have the least amount of resolve to stick to "the plan". I'm hungriest, and it takes so little to have me go over the edge. I can stay completely on track with diet and exercise up till 6 pm when I intend to stop eating. But, like last night, I indulged in a few fresh strawberries (just 10 small ones), and later, I got an iced tea at Starbucks that they had sweetened and I just chose to drink it because I was so thirsty. 44 additional carbs after 7 p.m. popped my morning number to 145.

I'm going back to really tight control. I don't lose weight when my blood sugar is up, even if I cut calories below 1600. But I do lose weight at 2000 calories if carbs are kept at 20 net gm and I can control the blood sugar.

I guess my upcoming holiday in the UK is going to be about the sites and NOT the food!
Old 05-16-2012, 01:11 PM   #79  

I am keeping my carbs down to <150 daily, which is great for me, and am still having ^ fbg in the AM. Question - does eating carbs after dinner affect your fbg? I have to have a snack or I won't be able to sleep, and I save calories & carbs for this, but I can switch to protein instead if need be. Any advice?
Old 05-16-2012, 01:39 PM   #80  
Bonnie

S/C/G: 307.5/237.5/160

Good afternoon ! to all the newbies or you ladies that are returning. Doing good here Been busy here lately but doing good. Today is the aunts bday and all is going to be good Think I am gonna get my walking in early or I will jest be late with it one out of the other. Even if I have to have someone go with me. Been looking at x factor set does any one know if it is any good??? Well thill later whenI have more free time The cake is in the oven and I need to check it...
Old 05-16-2012, 05:03 PM   #81  
working off those pounds

S/C/G: 350+/ticker/150

Height: 5'5"

Jane, it all depends and i think unfortunately it takes experimentation. It all depends on what is making your FBS spike. For some, it's because their bodies are going into "starvation" mode, and therefore the liver dumps glucose into the blood. If this is the case, I have read a small snack carbs with a bit of protein is a big help....like a couple crackers with say pepperoni.

If this doesn't work, they also say a protein based snack before bed will help. Sounds like the carbs before bed isn't working for you. Maybe give the protein a go, or work on the timing. I have been so obsessed as to get up in the middle of the night to have a cracker JUST to regulate myself.

I'm not quite that bad anymore..lol though i should be.
Old 05-16-2012, 05:48 PM   #82  
Madeleine

S/C/G: sw187/cw156/gw140

Height: 5 ft 3.5 in or 163 cm

Jane: for most people and small carb snack helps prevent glucose "dumping" by the liver during the night, but most of us overdo it. we are talking 10-20 g carbs, not a lot. Having it with a bit of fat or protein seems to be helpful in having a "slow" burn, or having low glycemic carbs may help.
(peanut butter on toast or crackers, small dish of lower fat ice cream, 1/2 granola bar) For many of us the trick is to make it a snack and not another meal.
Just a fly by, am at a conference, and totally ate the pastry dessert at lunch, delish, but ohhhh, the points......
Old 05-17-2012, 06:05 AM   #83  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Stumbling a lot but have not fallen flat. Baking for the Mad Hatters Tea Party this weekend has been a real battle and I've lost a few - battles not pounds. Strangely enough, despite this my FBGL has remained good. The weight is another matter.

I'm about to make my Italian sausages and peppers for the stash and will measure the final result carefully into freezer containers. "Serves 6" doesn't seem to work out well when I don't pre-portion. My life is in over-drive for the next eight weeks or so and I need to be able to have meals on hand that just needs a salad added. Take-out or a meal at the Diner are not a good thing!
Old 05-17-2012, 10:34 AM   #84  

S/C/G: 310/242/150

Height: 5'5"

Whooo hooo! I finally broke that 240 mark. I weighed in at 239.2 this morning. Now I only have to hold my ground until Monday. I'm not giving up without a fight! I'm not retreating this time. Yippeeeee!
Old 05-17-2012, 02:07 PM   #85  

S/C/G: 254/171/150

Height: 5'3"

Hello friends!

Wow, I have been gone a long time! The internet at the hotel was really wonky and I just gave up on attempting to post.

For those of you that don't know, I was in Las Vegas playing in the national pool championships. I made the final bracket and ended up tied for 33rd place out of almost 400 players. Pretty good finish and I had a blast.

BS did well while I was there but unfortunately, my weight is hideous! I refuse to accept the number that I gained 15 pounds in a week. I am going to eat very clean and drink lots of water for the next couple of days. I will weigh in on Monday and use that as my new starting weight.

I will try to catch up with everyone....

Trish, please stay on your meds if you can. Hopefully your dr can find a med that doesn't cause side effects that you can't live with. I hope so. I am happy to hear that you are using WW again - It always seemed to be a good fit for you.

Mad, enjoy the conference and good luck. Just a little activity will help.

Bonnie, too late for me to administer a kick so here is a . Good job for getting back on track!

Ruth, hoping to join you in the back on track club.....

Georgia, I think you are doing a really great job of paying attention to your numbers. Maybe it would be good to think about taking a longer view. I remember that when I first started my bs bounced around a lot. It took several months of steady program before things stabilized. Just wondering.....

Newbies, Hi There! I am looking forward to getting to know you better.

Have a great day!

Rie
Old 05-17-2012, 06:05 PM   #86  

Thank you VermontChick, and FatMad for your insight. I will try a new approach and see if that helps.

Rie - 33rd out of 400 is awesome! Congrats! I always gain water weight when I travel, no matter how POP I stay. I bet you'll be happy at weigh-in on Monday.

Ruth - lol about the "serves 6". Have to say, some of the packaging and portions are truly misleading, though.

A big hello to all others.
Old 05-17-2012, 09:50 PM   #87  
Renaissance Woman

Rie, you're so wise. Thank you!

This morning, fbs was 145, again. I was a bit disgusted with my complete lack of focus (Really? I'm ADD & filled with self-judgement!) And while my calories were down yesterday, still no weight loss. I made a decision to ride out the fasting and see how my blood sugar would track all day.

Every couple hours I tested. I peaked at 151 around 9 a.m., then slowly dropped. By 4:30 pm, I hit 104. I felt hungry, a little woozy, but otherwise fine. I had planned to keep fasting till tomorrow morning...somehow, a roasted zucchini fell into my mouth and then a small piece of roast chicken in a tomato sauce. I see that a piece of cheese is on approach as well.

I think I'm done eating for tonight. I'm curious to see what tomorrow morning's DP is like. And to see if the scale budges. I've eaten less than 500 calories today, and less than 15 net gm of carbs. I'll go to bed early, so my mouth won't be open if there's any more flying food in the house!
Old 05-18-2012, 09:57 AM   #88  
Madeleine

S/C/G: sw187/cw156/gw140

Height: 5 ft 3.5 in or 163 cm

quick hello everyone: back from my conference. Had some food victories and some really off plan meals too. Capped by a supper with my sister before leaving the big city. (no point leaving the city after the conference ended at 5 pm. Hate driving with the rush hour traffic, and having a supper first just makes sense, but did try to be sensible. )
Rie: you are right, no way did you gain 15 pounds in a week. Give it a day or so.
Georgia: 500 calories is NOT a good day. HOpe you get things into reasonable order soon.
hellos to everyone else.
Old 05-18-2012, 11:34 AM   #89  
Renaissance Woman

Well, don't worry, my resolve to not eat anything else last night was beaten by the hunger monster. But I did keep it under 1200. Fbg was 139. No weight loss. I won't lose weight if I lose control over the carbs in the evening. Grrrrr!

I have to rethink how I cook in the evenings. I've got one son who drifts in late and he takes care of himself (he turns 20 tomorrow!) but my other son, he's 14 and won't make good choices unless I'm there to direct him. And if I go into the kitchen past 6, that's just dangerous for me. Last night I made a pot of jasmine rice and roasted a chicken in a tomato-orange simmer sauce. The sauce alone made me weak in the knees, so I nibbled on chicken carcass as I pulled the meat off and plated it over rice, then covered with sauce. Licked my fingers...a lot!!! Got very curious about how the rice would taste with the sauce. Stamp of approval!

I think Rhyan will have to plate his own food from now on.

Teensy bit of loss on the scale. I had gone up from 288 to 294. I'm slowly creeping back down. 291.5 this morning. Obviously I am not going to make my goal of 285 by Sunday morning. Not even if I totally fast till then, and I wouldn't do that.

Johnnysgirl, that's a great milestone! Congratulations!

Jane, for me, I definitely have to eat really low on the carbs at dinner, less than 15 net gm. And it can only come from vegetables, no grains or legumes. Or dairy. Or fruits/sweets. Plus, I should keep protein close to 20 gm as well. I can go higher on fats at dinner because it slows the digestion of my meal way down. So under 600 calorie dinner. And it must be eaten around 6. If I eat at 7, it starts to affect my fbg. And if I eat at 8, fbg goes way up in the morning and I won't lose any weight.

So, I just figured out the perfect dinner for me. An omelet with feta, cooked in butter, and a salad of butter lettuce dressed in olive oil, apple cider vinegar and Greek oregano. I think that's going to be my consistent meal at 6 pm.

I guess that's my experiment today. I'm going to fast till dinner again. I really mean it this time! Because I feel really good this morning, not bloated or sluggish.

Have a great Friday!
Old 05-18-2012, 11:51 AM   #90  

S/C/G: 221/219.8/150

Height: 5'2 1/4"

Good Morning Everyone,

Just want to let you know I'm still here. I've been MIA because it has really been a busy week here. I got in the car Tuesday to go get DGD from school since DSIL was working and the had little to know power steering in the car. DH and I took it to Ford place Wednesday and had loads of work done on it and get some things checked. Heater had gone out this past winter. As I got ready to go to the beauty shop a few Saturdays ago and the battery was dead. Tony and DSIL jumped it and when I got home Tony put the charger on it. Took to an auto store and they tested and it was reading a little low but they said it probably would be okay for a while longer. Ford place checked it while they had it and it was fine so guess it was just one of those things because some how the GPS had been turned on and left on and not sure how long it had been on. So hopefully we won't have to have new one for a little while.

Yesterday was DD birthday. We had planned to go out to Ryan's to celebrate her birthday this coming Saturday, but Tony found out DSIL car battery was dead so we decided to do surprise DD with a BBQ dinner on her BD and then Tony took the rest off what we would spent eating at Ryan's...add to it and he took Richard down to the auto place and had a new battery put in his car. I could tell it really got to them because we also gave her the money we usually give her for her BD. They know the money is very tight and I could tell they were upset but graciously thankful. Especially since the last time DSIL bought a battery it cost $50 dollars and he found out the price had doubled since then. Of course Tony and I had already checked prices and knew they couldn't get one for $50.00 and he isn't getting enough hours to pay more. We knew we had to do it because he has to get to and from work. One neat thing too is I knew the kids wanted to give their Mom a present. Youngest usually goes around finding things around the house to give as presents. Thank God for Dollar stores. I took youngest DGD to Dollar Tree and she got a pair of sunglasses from the baby, a coffee mug from oldest DGS, a fragrance candle (she and I both love them) from oldest DGD and a family frame from herself and all for $3.50 +tax. They decorated the dining room with balloons and youngest DGD made BD banner for her Mom with all our names on it and the oldest DGD made a BD cake for her Mom. The girls are very creative. Haley couldn't find the candles I recently bought (not sure where April put them) so she found a #3 &#6 candles I had used when Tony turned 63 and turned the 6 upside down and made it read 39 and found some left over candles *mix match* make shift and put them around the 39 she made. So we had a great productive fun BD bash for their Mom and everyone was happy.

I am happy to say even with all the stress, I weighed this morning (not my WI day) and the 6 lb gain is gone. Now to keep it off and just keep that scale moving down.

I'll try to get back later for indies. Kids have Friday off from school so not sure how today will go.

Have a great day.
Closed Thread