Closed Thread

Old 05-10-2012, 09:05 AM   #46  

S/C/G: 310/242/150

Height: 5'5"

Hi all, new here. Diagnosed Nov 2010 with 8.4 A1C. Doctor gave me an ultimatum, lose weight, reign in numbers, or welcome to insulin needles.

Last A1C was 5.6 in Feb. 2012. Seeing doc this aft, get my requisition for June's A1C. I'm on 500mg metformin x3 day. When I'm good, my sugars are in the 4.5-5.5 mmol range. However, I haven't been good for a while. Trust me, I was surprised Feb's A1C was still in the 5's. (Chocolate was my best friend since Halloween. )

Lately, morning sugar is 6.1-6.5. Throughout day, it makes it's way in to the 5.6-6.0 range.

Edema has been my shadow since my daughter was born 14.5 years ago. Left foot/leg mostly, occasionally right one feels left out and joins in. I also have Meniere's which is ruled by excess fluid in the inner ear. Somehow the two are linked, as when the edema acts up, the Meniere's is sure to follow. Nothing like having the world spinning when you don't drink any alcohol. <--- ROFL that is EXACTLY what it feels like.

Questions:
1) What do you aim for as your carb count? I've always aimed for 45gr for meals and 15gr for snacks. Too high?
2) Aside from exercising my rear off, what can I do when my sugars skyrocket to 10? It's rare, but it's happened for no apparent reason... well maybe stress.

Thanks in advance. And good luck.
Old 05-10-2012, 10:50 AM   #47  

S/C/G: 221/180/150

Height: 5'2 1/4"

johnnysgirl668 - to the group. I've been fighting the same battle myself lately. I don't count carbs any more, but there are those here who do who can help you.

Ruthie - I love a baked potatoe and instead of putting butter on it, I put picante sauce, broccoli and lf cheese on mine and never miss the butter. I used to get the potato, broccoli and cheese at Wendy's and decided that is one of those things I can make at home with less calories and more broccoli. I haven't tried it but I'm sure some other veggie would go well with it as well to change it up.

Mad - Congratulations on another loss. You are doing great.

I was good last night because I went took medicine and went to lie down because my hip hurt me all day yesterday. Guess I layed on it wrong. Any way I woke up around 10:30 came in to say something to hubby and found out that SIL was going to be off today and I wouldn't have to get up early so I changed clothes got back in bed and didn't wake up until almost 8am this morning. Hip feels a little better and seems to feel better as I walk so I think I'll go to Aldi's and Sav-A-Lot and pick up some milk, eggs, fruits and veggies. and see if the walking really will help walk out the soreness. I just don't have time to be sick.

Y'all have a great day.
Old 05-10-2012, 11:13 AM   #48  
Bonnie

S/C/G: 307.5/237.5/160

johnnysgirl668

Sorry I didn't check in yesterday but it was storming here all day so I went and rearranged my aunts room and my daughters bedroom. Been doing good here food is better and I have been fighting the cravings for foods I should not have. Hopefully I can take another on g walk tonight and I am feeling pretty good right now I want to keep it up so continue sending me them kicks in the pants. I will check back later to see how everyone's day has gone.
Old 05-10-2012, 08:05 PM   #49  
Bonnie

Jest wanted to pop in and say how my day has gone and it has gone good. Aunt went to lunch with her daughter and I again took my lunch feels pretty good I also went for another 50 minute walk around the neighbor hood . Feels pretty good. I hope that I can keep it up.

I hope every one had a good day!!! More tomorrow!!!!!
Old 05-10-2012, 08:42 PM   #50  

A quick pop in. Saw my doc today, blood pressure 130/80 YAY! Since I'm restarting to lose weight, he's holding me off until July for my next A1C. He's happy with where I'm at, and so am I.

Thank you Bonnie and Trish for the welcome.
Old 05-10-2012, 09:11 PM   #51  
Madeleine

S/C/G: sw187/cw152/gw140

Height: 5 ft 3.5 in or 163 cm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruthxxx View Post
No idea about the ongoing and recurring edema, Mad.
Anyhow, I'll do the diuretic thing and make sure I don't deplete my potassium stores. (Who knew baked potatoes were very high in potassium? I may indulge - for health reasons, of course!)

It sucks to get old but I'm fighting it. Lots of people younger than me are dead!
Ruth! Bananas and oranges also high in potassium. ENJOY!

welcome too the Johnnysgirl, hope you find us a fun bunch.
Personally, I keep carbs much lower. I find it best to keep under 100g/day, usually less than that. I did Atkins for a while until my sugars were in good control. I found it too difficult to just go into induction suddenly, and lowered my carbs gradually to do it.

Had a good food day today, it was potluck day, but we put the food out in the kitchen, and took a break from the meeting to fill our plates. I put myself in the corner, so I couldn't get up easily to get more. So I had a nice plateful, and didn't have more. A successful strategy indeed!
GOt a little exercise helping DH build a retaining wall for part of the garden.
The week continues to be busy, I am off to work again!
Old 05-11-2012, 07:46 AM   #52  

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatmad View Post
welcome too the Johnnysgirl, hope you find us a fun bunch.
Personally, I keep carbs much lower. I find it best to keep under 100g/day, usually less than that. I did Atkins for a while until my sugars were in good control. I found it too difficult to just go into induction suddenly, and lowered my carbs gradually to do it.
Thanks fatmad <-- can't bring myself to call you "fat"

One hundred carbs?

How do you do that? What's the breakdown per meal, snacks? Is that 25 per meal with 25 total in snacks? I can't even fathom that.

I did Atkins too about 15 years ago. I attribute my getting pregnant to the Atkins diet. I was told I was never going to have a child for 10 years prior, and then 8 months of Atkins... tada! But it took me a long time to like meat again after that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatmad View Post
Had a good food day today, it was potluck day, but we put the food out in the kitchen, and took a break from the meeting to fill our plates. I put myself in the corner, so I couldn't get up easily to get more. So I had a nice plateful, and didn't have more. A successful strategy indeed!
WTG! Smart planning. It's thinking ahead that helps when we have to face these types of situations. Awesome job!
Old 05-11-2012, 10:47 AM   #53  
Bonnie

Jest wanted to pop in this morning and say I peaked at the scale this morning and I have lost 4 pounds this week... I dont want to weight in till monday but needed the push for the weekend...
Old 05-11-2012, 11:22 AM   #54  

WTG Bonnie! You can do it!
Old 05-11-2012, 01:36 PM   #55  
working off those pounds

S/C/G: 350+/ticker/150

hey, it's been a while. i used to post in here years ago. I find that the message boards offer accountability. Anyways, I am Mel...I live in the UK with my awesome supportive boyfriend. I am diabetic and I am not as good as I should be. I haven't had an A1C check in a long time, I keep putting it off cause I don't want to embarrass myself. Owen and I also want to have babies, so I need to get my diet sorted. I try to stay away from crap food and eat as much fruit and veg as possible...
Old 05-11-2012, 02:36 PM   #56  

Welcome back and good luck on your next round of WL.
Old 05-11-2012, 06:52 PM   #57  

S/C/G: 221/180/150

Height: 5'2 1/4"

A quick flyby.

Bonnie - Yay for the 4lb loss. You're doing a great job getting back OP.

Mel- Can't say I remember you, but glad you are here.

Mad - What do you know about the side effect of Fenofibrate? Nurse teaching DD said it was a terrible medicine and she would never take it. I have been off Metformin long enough that I don't have a lot of charlie horses in my calves, but still have some. However, the muscles in my upper legs ache a lot and I have muscle spasms in other parts of my body. I looked it up last night and it said they are finding that it can cause muscle damage/breakdown. Just wondered what you think about it. I didn't take it today. I'm kind of hoping that it is the culprit and that maybe I can go back on at least 500mg of Metformin. Anyway I'm experimenting with going without it and will discuss it with my doc when I see him next month.

Ruthie Sorry about the edema problems going on. Hope you are feeling better soon.

Go get my hair colored tomorrow. Kind of hoping for a quiet weekend.

In case I don't make it back here,y'all have a nice weekend.
Old 05-12-2012, 06:29 AM   #58  
working off those pounds

S/C/G: 350+/ticker/150

ok so i took my fasting blood sugar and it was like 240...YIKES. i forget how long it takes to get the sugars back under control, i need reassurance that it takes time.

i had a granola bar and a cup of tea with one sugar for breakfast, and now i am eating apples and peanut butter...afraid to eat carbs because i just checked blood sugar and it's the same.

any tips on getting back on track will be welcomed
Old 05-12-2012, 05:28 PM   #59  
Renaissance Woman

S/C/G: 363/306/185

Height: 5'10.5"

Fell off the radar for a few days due to family dramas. One day late last week I caved to stress and had a handful of Paleo grain-free granola, then raw almonds, then an extra ounce or two of cheese. Drove my morning readings up into the 130s and I gained back five pounds overnight. That stressed me out too and I allowed myself to feel pretty hopeless for about a day.

Back on the very-low-carb Atkins induction wagon as of yesterday and this morning my blood sugar was back down to 126. Hoping that this time next week I'll have lost the five and morning numbers will be back in the 110s.

Have a lovely weekend, everyone!
Old 05-12-2012, 06:17 PM   #60  
Bonnie

Jest got done doing my neighbor hood walk .. Food today has been great!! Keep it Cumming I can do this!!!!
Closed Thread