Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 12-29-2008, 04:50 AM   #1  
Meg

Default Maintainers Chat: December 29 - January 4

Wow, we're closing out 2008 and starting 2009 this week!

DD and her family are visiting and things are very fun and very crazy. I think the plan for today is bowling, which I haven't done for a long time. There's been a lot of food and no calorie counting, but it's back to reality tomorrow afternoon when they leave and I have to go back to work.

Our New Year's Eve plans are to stay home and relax, probably watching a movie. We're such old farts that we don't even stay up until midnight any more!

Funny, I can't wait to get back to clean eating and regular gym.

How are all of you surviving? Any plans for New Year's?
Meg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 07:06 AM   #2  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Good morning everyone.

I hope you all had a great holiday.

Meg, your New Year's plans sound more exciting then mine. We don't even manage to get a movie in. If I'm home and as of now that's what it looks like, I'd fall asleep in the middle of that said movie.

For me, Adam Sandler's Chanukah song is dancing around in my head. "Instead of one day of presents, we've got 8 CRAZY NIGHTS". Well yeah, that's what I had. Or at least it feels that way. Just insert food where the word presents is. That would describe my past week. Without a doubt it was one of the worst I've had since I started losing weight. Last night was the final night and of course we had a party to finish it off. Luckily I was so disgusted with myself and my pants were so tight, that I did FANTASTIC at that party. Didn't touch one of the high calorie foods that was there. Not a one. I was blessed that there was a veggie tray and I strictly stuck to that. Doesn't matter though. It can't possibly make up for the disasterous week I had. I guess it's a start though. At least I've got one good day under my belt. My expanded belt, that would be.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 07:30 AM   #3  
Maintainer Wannabe

S/C/G: 161/143/135

Height: 5'7"

Good morning. I am also glad that things will be getting back to normal this week. My breakfast was on plan and I will continue from there. The kids have one more week off from school but they have lots of new fun stuff to do.
WardHog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 07:31 AM   #4  
Pretty harmless really...

S/C/G: Maintaining 142-148

Height: 5 ft 8.5" athlete who can give a punch & certainly take one too! :)

Hi everybody,
I enjoyed myself probably too much with holiday goodies and wine but oh well I'm human! I'm not going to beat myself up over it anyways, because I'd be black and blue all over!!!! Besides, I'm on track 90% of the time, so its easier to cut myself some slack and enjoy from time to time, so I done did!

Now I am gearing up for my annual new years party I host yearly for 18 friends. I will be cooking up a storm, I love entertaining. Yes, we actually all make it past midnight, and I think I am considered an old married fart now (with 20 years of marriage) But Jan 1st, it shall be squeaky clean eating and 100% back on trackism for me!

Thanks for sharing your family photo's night, you look GREAT & are so photogenic.

Congrats Cie on making GOAL!

Hope all who traveled, arrive back home safely...
evilwomaniamshe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 08:57 AM   #5  
slow and steady

S/C/G: 185/see signature/135

Height: 5'4"

I'm back at work today, sporting a multiple pound gain. 146.4 this morning. I put it in my S/C/G to help motivate myself to drop it ASAP. DH is getting motivated to eat healthy and get more exercise too, so I think we'll be okay. We've hidden the junk food away in the closet (the one we keep the vacuum cleaner in, LOL), where it is out of sight and out of mind.

However, I do have two more food-fests to content with before I'm done for the season: a new year's eve party wednesday and our cooking club monthly dinner sunday. Bah! I need to come up with a healthy recipe to bring to the new year's party.

Robin - we were at DH's family's house for a hannukah party last night. I did well with the actual meal -- only a couple latkes, a small portion of chicken, and a big pile of green beans. Unfortunately the pile of star-of-david-shaped sugar cookies ended up sitting next to me and I think I ate about 15 of them.

Okay, I have to brag. One of my xmas/hannukah presents? A waterproof heart-rate monitoring stopwatch wrist watch. Sweet! The only thing I actually asked for specifically. I'm so excited! I wore it in the pool for my swim the other day and it was nice to see that my heart rate gets up to 155 when I swim. In retrospect I should have asked for one with a lap counter, but I'm satisfied with waterproof, hr monitor, and count-up and count-down timers. I will totally be wearing it this afternoon when I go for my run.

I went shopping at the outlet mall with my mom while she was in town and bought another fitness-related goodie -- ice traction attachments for my shoes. They're these rubber and metal things that are basically like tire chains for your feet to give you traction on the ice and in the snow. I haven't tried them yet (since our crazy weather went from 20 degrees to 65 degrees ) but I'm pumped. I also got a breathable light rain jacket I can use when running in the spring.

I can't wait to get back to normal (= on plan) eating.
paperclippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 11:19 AM   #6  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Quote:
Robin - we were at DH's family's house for a hannukah party last night. I did well with the actual meal -- only a couple latkes, a small portion of chicken, and a big pile of green beans. Unfortunately the pile of star-of-david-shaped sugar cookies ended up sitting next to me and I think I ate about 15 of them.
Similar story with me.

I also did pretty well at my DH's family's Saturday night party. I made enough for everyone and brought along sweet potato latkes and a great, fat free salad. And I really stuck to that, with the exception of 1/2 of a "regular" potato latke.

And then........ I found myself sitting next to the menorah shaped, chocolate dipped sugar cookies. Which was placed next to the ice cream. Which was placed next to the apple/cranberry cake.

And that gift sounds really cool. Enjoy it!

Last edited by rockinrobin; 12-29-2008 at 11:21 AM.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 11:54 AM   #7  

Height: 5'1"

Good Morning everyone,

I am really glad the Holiday season (eating frenzy) is almost over with. I have not been a good girl. I'm glad Santa didn't see me, I would have had a stocking full of coal. But it's over, at least for me. I have to work New years so i won't make it to midnight. And i'm actually sick of all the junk I've been eating. My body is rebelling. Why didin't I listen to it sooner? I'm feeling sluggish and i'm craving good healthy stuff.

Jessica, the watch sounds like a really great help. I know a couple of people that could really use them. Mind if I ask where you got it?

One thing we all have in common, and that is commitment to healthy eating and exercise. We may slip a bit, but we get right back up and start over, with a little help from our friends. Thanks friends!

Freda
the slim me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 12:17 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

Add another member who had her weight explode (practically overnight). Okay, I know it isn't like that, but seriously? I am up 3 pounds since yesterday's weigh-in. Yikes. It's got to be a lot of water weight and I'm sure it'll be gone by tomorrow, but still. I can't imagine that what I ate yesterday could have done it.

Anyway, this week at work will be quite hectic trying to close out the year. Our CPA has requested several things including turning in our stuff to them 5 days earlier than usual which means doing it all on one day (the 5th) and that is the first day my office assistant will not be around as she has decided to go to a 4-day work week. Methinks the CPA will have to wait an extra day! There's no way I'm coming in over a 4-day weekend to do paperwork!

We went to see Gran Torino yesterday with Clint Eastwood. I really liked that movie (but you have to know there's a lot of swearing and name calling in it). I was amazed at the number of people there--usually we practically have the theater to ourselves, but this was packed.

This weekend I'll be working on my New Year's plan--we'll be back to dieting 100% so I can get to my goal before I have to see my doctor again.
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 01:02 PM   #9  
slow and steady

S/C/G: 185/see signature/135

Height: 5'4"

Freda, my parents got it online. Here's a link to it at amazon: here.
paperclippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 01:57 PM   #10  
Workin' It

Hello ladies -
I've not consistently participated in this thread, but I had the revelation this weekend that I don't have a lot of friends with whom I remain in contact anymore and I have a limited support group around me that I can talk to about things like eating too many cookies over the weekend. I am definitely a person who needs that support and chat, so I'm going to make a consistent effort to participate in this thread from now on, if that is okay. I've been pretty good about the accountability thread, but this one has more leeway for other things so I'm going to try to do both, plus maybe the strength training thread. I wander into bad places in my head without outlets...

The revelation was kind of sad for me, really...
I've talked to DH a lot in the past, but he isn't in a good place right now with diet and exercise, so I think my talking about issues I'm having seems like I'm rubbing my success in his face rather than looking for help to keep from falling back down.

My mom thinks I'm too skinny, and every conversation about weight makes her either cry or be mean to me, so no more talking to her.

My best friend moved with his partner to Arizona, so I haven't been able to talk to him in a while.

I'm 'breaking up' with a twenty year friend from college right now. To be honest, I've always disliked parts of her personality but she was the one who always called back and made the effort to keep the relationship alive. She is mean and she is toxic, and I realized I can't keep her in my life anymore. I'm struggling with that, too, because I feel a lot of guilt at letting the relationship go as long as it has.

So, here I am. Vowing to participate in these threads so I don't fall back into a negative relationship with the friend I'm cutting off, and so I don't become that person who talks all the time about weight loss and makes the people around her feel bad.

I was pretty hit or miss over the holidays - I weighed 119.3 on Friday, 120.5 on Saturday, 122.8 on Sunday, 120.6 today. I'm hoping to settle back to the 119 I started with, but I did eat a lot of junk. DH's ex wife is one of the greatest bakers I've even seen and she sent us a lot of stuff over the holidays...

I got a new HRM for Christmas myself, and am pretty excited about that. I've already used it a several times. Mom also got me the link to download my fitness data to the computer, which is pretty darn cool.

We have DSS on New Year's Eve, don't take him back until 2 on NYD, so there will be no overindulging that night. Probably will be me sitting up until midnight by myself, maybe eating a carefully planned cookie or cake snack.

Have a good day everyone!
-Shannon
Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 02:51 PM   #11  
Working My Way Back Down

Morning from the very frozen northland! It was -20F at our house this morning, and not expected to be above zero all week..... We have a ton of snow - had to have our driveway plowed 2x last week - but on the up side, our daylight is on the increasing side again, a whole 1.5 minutes today.

Last night was my final holiday party (though it was a retirement party) and I think I've fared very well this season. I'll do an "unofficial" weight check at the gym after work, though I said that it won't be "official" until next Monday. Of course, I have a birthday next week so there may be one more eating opportunity. Our anniversary is on the 22nd, and often we combine both for one dinner out. New Year's Eve is usually a non-event for us as well, as midnight is way later than we stay up unless there's a plane trip involved.

I have a short week - 3 days. Of course, for the 4 day weekend plans involve taking down the tree, and the inevitable cleaning that entails - at least it does if you have a real tree.

Then we're moving all of the furniture out of my basement home office, pulling up the old carpet, and DH will begin laying the new carpet. This will be involved as the office has the computer and we have DTV which comes through our phone lines and the same modem as our DSL. So the whole set up - which involves, when you count the wireless modem as well - about 5 boxes which need to be hooked up right. And it needs to move to somewhere there's a phone jack! Luckily we don't have set up the whole computer there - we'll just use the laptop with the wireless. I am sooooo not looking forward to this. After this room is done - if we haven't killed each other - we'll move onto my sewing room - which actuallly involves more "stuff" and furniture to move, but no electronics. The TV in there is up on a shelf so not necessary to move for carpeting.

I'm curious to see how many folks will rediscover the gym today, or whether the majority won't get there til next week. It's been realllly quiet over the holidays. DH is leaving for a hiking trip in Death Valley on 2/7 - he's just realized it's only 6 weeks away. Though he's been doing a lot of exercising - mostly running on the treadmill, and climbing the 5 story staircase in the local medical building for 2 hours at a time (can anything be more boring?) - he thinks he needs to do more. The guy is about aerobically fit as anyone I've met..... Me, I'm staying home and enjoying 2 weeks alone.

Last edited by WaterRat; 12-29-2008 at 02:53 PM.
WaterRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 03:58 PM   #12  
The Radiant One

S/C/G: 250/142/135

Height: 5'2"

Hey all!
Been doing pretty well on plan since Christmas. I think I overdid the cookies so much that being back on plan is such a *relief* that it is easy.

Shannon, it is nice to have a place where we can talk ourselves silly about weight loss and no one minds

We don't have any special plans for New Year's. DH and I are kind of homebodies, or at least we just don't like crowds. So, we will go out to dinner and then watch a few movies at home, or play some board games. Christmas is always the big gathering day. My little nieces, sister and BIL, and my parents have trouble staying up late - so New Years is not a big event LOL!
fiberlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 06:42 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 261/158/below 160

Height: 5'8" (Dang, I shrank an inch!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by paperclippy View Post
. . .ice traction attachments for my shoes. They're these rubber and metal things that are basically like tire chains for your feet to give you traction on the ice and in the snow.
Jessica, I'm really looking forward to hearing about these. Although all the ice has melted now, I'm sure there's more to come, and I'd love to have some of these if they work.

Pat, -20 degrees? Yikes! That's the kind of temps that will freeze any uncovered body part in a few minutes, isn't it? on doing so well with all those holiday parties. My gym was incredibly crowded today--almost didn't get an elliptical.

Shannon, it's hard to break up with long time friends, but necessary sometimes. Good for you for thinking about what you can do to avoid reconnecting with a toxic friend when you get lonely. You'll be happier in the long-run.

Allison, have you seen In Bruges? Talk about swearing! Although swearing in an English accent isn't nearly so hard to listen to.

I weighed myself for the first time in weeks. Not pretty. But I'm back on track and hopefully I will see those numbers go down, down, down. I plan to go back to Weight Watchers every week. I'm not over my WW goal so I won't have to pay, but I need that accountability right now plus I want to meet my goal this year of getting into a size 8.

Christmas time is always DVD time for us. We watched the full season of Weeds (it's a Showtime series) plus a bunch of movies. We laughed a lot watching Forgetting Sarah Marshall and cringed a lot at Snow Angels. I highly recommend a movie called The Visitor. And I liked In Bruges, although it's quite a dark comedy, or maybe dramady? I wasn't thrilled with Burn Before Reading or whatever that one with George Clooney and Brad Pitt was called. I think we'll go to the movies this week and see Milk.

Happy Monday to everyone!
Sheila53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 07:15 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 178/134/125

Height: 5'6"

Hi Everyone!
I'm really sorry that I don't have time to respond to everyone but I still need the motivation of all of you.
I am at a hotel/spa for a few days with tons of temptations and family members (family for another week-- gasp). I am going to allow myself a few splurges (already had some today) but going to try to hit the gym while I'm here as well.
I am off for wine tasting/dessert tasting (egads) and then the gym before dinner.
Wish me luck..... I hope to survive and reappear Wednesday or so....
traveling michele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 08:29 PM   #15  
The Radiant One

S/C/G: 250/142/135

Height: 5'2"

Quote:
Originally Posted by paperclippy View Post

I went shopping at the outlet mall with my mom while she was in town and bought another fitness-related goodie -- ice traction attachments for my shoes. They're these rubber and metal things that are basically like tire chains for your feet to give you traction on the ice and in the snow. I haven't tried them yet (since our crazy weather went from 20 degrees to 65 degrees ) but I'm pumped.
I have these - called Yak Trax. They work pretty well, but don't wear them on a smooth surface indoors!
fiberlover is offline   Reply With Quote