Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 12-29-2008, 09:29 PM   #16  
Pretty harmless really...

S/C/G: Maintaining 142-148

Height: 5 ft 8.5" athlete who can give a punch & certainly take one too! :)

In my neck of the woods I walk on top of the snow with snowshoes with walking poles in each hand for a great outdoor workout! Snow is up to my arse level these days...
evilwomaniamshe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 10:35 PM   #17  
Working My Way Back Down

Ah, yes, Yak Trax are a must for living in a cold, icy climate. We have several pairs kicking around here. Right now we're in the snow and deep freeze part of winter, and won't need the traction until it warms up a whole lot! The very worst time comes when the snow begins to melt, and forms puddles on the ice underneath (the ice that gets formed by compacted snow in driveways, parking lots, etc.) As predicted it never got above zero today, and now at 6:30 pm, it's already down to -15F.

Lori - it was you wasn't it who posted the nutmeg logs recipe? They were absolutely wonderful!!

Quote:
In my neck of the woods I walk on top of the snow with snowshoes with walking poles in each hand for a great outdoor workout! Snow is up to my arse level these days...
Snowshoeing really is a great exercise. I'm better at it than cross-country skiiing. Right now we have about as much snow as you, but as noted above, it's way too cold to be outside, at least in my book! I'm happier in the mid-teens and up.
WaterRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 08:56 AM   #18  
slow and steady

S/C/G: 185/see signature/135

Height: 5'4"

The ones I got were a different brand, not Yak Trax . . . I don't remember the name (I think it's an off-brand), but looking online there's a type called STABILicers that looks pretty similar.

Wendalyn, where do you live? I went snowshoeing once, it was pretty tough! BTW I was laughing at your sig about trying not to de-rail. My past couple weeks were more like going off the rails on a crazy train.
paperclippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 09:18 AM   #19  

Good Morning maintainers. Far too much celebrating followed by stomach flu here. Yuck! and a whole week just disappeared. I guess the good thing is that thanks to the flu I'm exactly where I was before Christmas. Not an ideal way to maintain though. The weather was a wild ride too. An ice storm that made us lose power (brr), snow, rain, and then 60 degrees. Weird. I'll have to go back and catch up but right now dd is begging me to take her to spend her Christmas money. Nobody felt like it until today.
joyofsix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 10:33 AM   #20  
The Radiant One

S/C/G: 250/142/135

Height: 5'2"

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaterRat View Post

Lori - it was you wasn't it who posted the nutmeg logs recipe? They were absolutely wonderful!!

Yep - that was me! Those are my favorite cookie, and I can thank them for the newly minted pound on my thighs
fiberlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 11:02 AM   #21  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

I am so glad that I moved AWAY from snow country 19 years ago!!!

I had a wonderful night's sleep last night and woke up feeling oh, so refreshed! Today will be a good day.
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 11:31 AM   #22  
Chuggin' along...

Hi everyone,

BF and I got home safe at about 2:00 AM Sunday night. I was glad that I hadn't planned to work Monday. I slept in, did laundry, unpacked/washed the kitchen things that I got out of storage at my parents, etc. Santa did buy me some workout pants (always need those!), no one big thing but some items for around my house that I've been needing. BF got me a new octagonal fishtank, which I'm very excited about b/c I hadn't set up my old tank in my new place yet - it didn't fit very well and the new tank will fit much better in my smaller living room.

As it turns out fat Megan was so tired from all of her eating that she welcomed skinny Megan taking over about the second we walked in the door of my house. Maybe I'm making some progress - it doesn't even feel like turning a "switch" anymore, behaving more healthily just happens naturally when I get back to my home turf, so to speak. So I just need to continue working on my behavior when I'm out of my comfort zone.

But I had finally talked myself into going ahead and hopping on the scale this morning, then I genuinely forgot to do so. But I will tomorrow. I need to see what damage I've done, be accountable, and move on to a healthy end of Dec/January!

Meg, how was bowling?

Jessica, those shoe attachments sound great! If I move back to a place that has winter I will definitely get some of those.

Michele, hang in there!

Shannon, we're always here! I joined 3fc for the same reason. There is no one in my day-to-day "in person" life I can talk with and relate to about losing and keeping off a weight loss. Even my BF or Mom, who will listen a bit and are very supportive of me and my pursuits, just don't "get" it. Having the kind of unconditional support that will say "great job!" or "dust yourself off, today is a new day" or whatever kind of encouragement you need, the kind that you find here, is so wonderful!

Pat, I know, I was gone for the holidays but am dreading the gym in a way. Not the working out part at all - looking forward to it, actually. But the January resolutioners always take my darn ellipticals and treadmills! (Seriously, don't they understand the gym revolves around my workout? )

Freda, my body starts to crave the fresh, healthy stuff too. Pretty much every holiday season I end up eating enough junk, and end up so tired too, that I think about my diet for the first part of my life and wonder why I didn't sleep 16 hours a day! You're right, it's wonderful to have such like-minded, healthful friends.

It's nice to be home. Have a happy new year all!
Megan1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 11:44 AM   #23  
No description available.

Megan! It's nice to "see" you again!

Where in the world are Barbara and Lily?

Christmas Eve and Christmas Day were so far from my usual way of eating that it has been such a pleasure to get back to my planned out way of eating. No "should I or shouldn't I?", no guilt, no telling myself I shouldn't feel guilty....just sticking to healthy clean food.....
midwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 12:09 PM   #24  

Hi Maintainers,

Rabbit checking in. it's really great ro read all about how everyone fared in the days of food fests and how everyone is now coming along bright eyed and rested form the holidays to get back to the land of healthy living. If I have one new years resolution it is to take the time to work out and work on my health next year. I gained 4 pounds over 2008, and I want them gone again! Also, I never got around to mastering the pullup.

Tomorrow finds me making sushi and salad, and enjoying champagne celebrating new years eve with my kids.

Have a great new years eve all,
Rabbit
4rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 01:12 PM   #25  

S/C/G: 152/???/132/33

Height: 5'4"

Happy New Year everyone!

I'm lost in sloooow computer land until next Monday when I return for 4 days to regale you with my wit and charm . Then I'm gone again to teeny screen land.

Odd that - my clients have two jumbo screen TV's, two medium screen TV's, and their home computer screen is about the size of a paperback.

Cheers!

Dagmar
Mudpie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 01:36 PM   #26  

S/C/G: 178/134/125

Height: 5'6"

Surviving so far, but just barely.
Yesterday I had to refuse food that my FIL and MIL literally put in my face. And I had to hear from everyone that I'm addicted to exercise just because I went to the gym for 30 minutes.....
Much of our family is sick (not my immediate) so I'm hoping we can control more of what we do (food, etc.).....
traveling michele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 02:31 PM   #27  

Height: 5'1"

Hi Everyone, Looks like too many of us are having "regrets" for the Holiday eating/gaining we did. Well, no time like the present to get back to healthy eating. No waiting until the first of the year! Right now!! I've done well today, did ok yesterday. It takes me awhile to get back on track. Dh is home from work today. They have no power where he works, due to a down power line. A lot of people in michigan, 22,000. I think my son said, are without power. In this weather, I can't even imagine.

Michele, don't worry about what everyone says. You know why you're exercising. And hey, you could be addicted to a lot of worse things. That addiction is one I want and have no intention of trying to "break".

Dagmar, We will miss your wit and charm!!

Rabbit, Only 4 pounds sounds like success to me. But you're right. Let go it can turn into more, so stopping it in it's tracts is a good resolution!

Midwife, I'm missing Lily and Barb too. Hey you guys, if you're out there, come talk to us!

Megan, Good to see you back. Now, to kick that "fat" megan to the curb, or box her up and put her away.

Wendalyn, I've always wanted to try snowshoeing. Sounds like fun, and great exercise too.

Pat, Jessica, I saw those shoes for the ice on QVC today. I'm thinking about getting them for my son, who is out in the weather a lot.

Lisa, I'm glad to hear that you are feeling better. And now is the time to take DD out shopping, with all the sales going on.

We're getting close to a new year, a new beginning. But, then, every morning is a new beginning. We make the decision every day about how we're going to live that day.
Freda
the slim me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 03:16 PM   #28  
Workin' It

Hi everybody...
Michele - my mom says the same thing to be about being addicted to exercise. I went to the gym at our hotel several days on our family vacation and you would think I had gone out and killed someone before I came back the way she looked at me! I let her push me out of going one day, then had to drive home the next and felt run down the next couple of days after that. No more letting outside people mess with my head about the exercise, even my parents or DH. Don't let them bother you, either!

Meghan - glad you were able to get back into sync!

I just went for my first ever run outside, and it was hard enough at a sunny 60 degrees. I can't imagine living anywhere I had to put something on my feet for traction or had to walk on top of snow!
Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 09:17 PM   #29  
Working My Way Back Down

Quote:
I can't imagine living anywhere I had to put something on my feet for traction or had to walk on top of snow!
Shannon!! Sorry, not picking on you - much I have a friend who grew up in Alabama and has lived her adult life in AZ and TX. Her daughter moved to Portland OR, so my friend went to visit for CHristmas - and encountered the snow! She enjoyed it - and enjoyed going home much more! And Portland's snow is gone already..... This is the front of my house last winter - we have more this year already.
WaterRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 12:14 AM   #30  

Hi, All!
Think I need to get on here before the year ends. My week has been good. The weight I gained from my Christmas Day feeding frenzy is now off. YIPPEE! Thankfully, it only really took stopping myself from eating all the crap I was eating. As usual, I continue to CRAVE chocolate. I swear they must put something in chocolate that really makes my body feel like it needs it to survive. I KNOW I could allow myself to have one piece a day, or something like that, but I don't think one piece would make it. I think I'll just go for chocolate through my diet hot chocolate. It only has 25 calories and is very chocolately. I have continued to write down everything I eat and have been getting on the treadmill each day. Did a full hour on there yesterday and squeezed in 40 minutes today. Didn't really want to get on it, but I know I need to to take care of myself.
I have been reading about the trax things from many of you. I haven't bought them yet, but with over a foot of snow on the ground now in Northern MN where I live, they would be a worthy investment. I, too, am hoping to get more snow, so I can go snowshoeing in another 3 weeks when I have completed my surgical recovery.
I still haven't posted my 2009 goals...still thinking...maybe just doing more of what I did in 2008. It seemed to work...yet I need a bigger goal....what could it be? I'd like to run, but I'm winded just running half a block and feel like I am so out of shape when I can't run hardly any distance at all. I don't like to bike, so that's out. I'm not into competitive weight lifting...I do love to dance...maybe there something there.
Anyway, hope you all have some fun planned for New Years. We're still talking about a movie maybe...otherwise, there is house cleaning to do still to get over the chaos of Christmas.
On an exciting note, I happened to go by Victoria's Secret today and noticed that it looked like they were having a great sale. I had looked before, but I always feel like I don't know what bra really fits right, etc. Today, I tried on about 15 bras and walked away with 3 that are very,very nice. They were about 50% off, so I'm excited. They really pulled the girls up where they belong and they make me look so much slimmer....never thought a bra could do that..I was also very pleased by the size...in Jan 07, I was 4 sizes larger--a size that Vicky's Secret doesn't even consider selling. Now I'm in a size so much smaller that I have to assure myself it really fits and that I'm all in. I am
Just in case any of you are Vicky's Secret buyers, you might want to hurry on in. Enjoy!
goalsuccess is offline   Reply With Quote