Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 01-02-2009, 05:46 PM   #61  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

My feet were fat , after losing weight my shoe size dropped from 8-9 down to 7-7 1/2 .
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 05:55 PM   #62  
Workin' It

Hi everybody!

Today is the day where I throw away all the remaining baked goods from DHs ex. I swear. Even if i have to open the baggies and throw it all in loose so I don't get it back out...

I went today and got a running analysis and new running shoes. I'm pretty excited. I find myself wanting to run. I also want to got more consistent with my strength training - is it too much to try to increase both of those things at the same time?

I didn't have 'dripping expectations' pumpkin pie, but I did have some chocolate concoction that my mom made especially for me, since I was so skinny and needed to eat.... It was pretty sinful.

I didn't do anything constructive yesterday, then I worked today. My boss sent everyone home at 3 because we were slow, but it was raining so no running with the new shoes.... I have lots of stuff that needs organizing, but alas, I didn't have the energy yesterday to do it. I've only been in my house a year, so I don't have a lot of junk piled up, but I do still have those last few boxes of stuff shoved in the corner that never found homes when I was unpacking...

I made it through the holidays without any weight gain, I actually weighed 1.5 less than the start of the season this morning. I did have a lot of anxiety and guilt this season, though. I hope that by next year I'm more in key with maintaining so I can hold on without making myself crazy....

Last edited by Shannon in ATL; 01-02-2009 at 05:56 PM.
Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 05:56 PM   #63  
lilybelle

S/C/G: 234/142/145

Height: 5'7

Hi everyone, I've come crawling back now that the Holidays are over. My house has started to settle down a little. The grocery shopping is done and we now have tons of healthy choices. All the cookies, fudge, pies etc. have been thrown away.

I made it back to the gym today and saw many new members. Of course, no more often than I've gone lately some people probably thought I was new. I did drop both girls off the membership cause I can't get them off their lazy keisters to ever want to go workout.

I hopped on the scale today and there wasn't any surprise. Up 1.5 lbs. through Christmas and New Years. Still going to Weight Watchers but after the initial 6.5 lb. loss, doing good to just barely maintain. Gotta do better though.

Hope to have time to post more often again. I've babysit all 3 of my grandsons so much lately that any day without them was spent sleeping (or shopping).

Gotta brag on what DH got me for Christmas. A beautiful 1 carat diamond anniversary band. I love it.

Gotta go cause the Rainbo Vacuum people will be here in 30 min's. (I got roped into it, LOL).
lilybelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 06:29 AM   #64  
Meg

Lily! It's so good to see you again! Everyone's been wondering where you were. 1.5 pounds for the holidays doesn't sound bad at all. Your ring sounds gorgeous -- how about a photo sometime?

Shannon, that's awesome that you got your shoes at a store where they analyzed your gait and fitted you with the proper shoes. When I did that, I discovered that I had been buying shoes to correct a problem I didn't have (overpronating). Properly fitted shoes make a world of difference! (which reminds me, I really need some new shoes) I think it's OK to try running and step up your weightlifting at the same time, but on alternate days. Doing both on the same day might be too much. Congrats on losing weight during the holidays!!

My feet shrunk when I lost weight too -- from wide to regular and down either a half or whole size. The only things that fit me after weight loss were socks.

Megan, clutter makes me crazy too. In fact, it's really stressful and I want to have as peaceful life as possible in 2009. My MIL lives in a house crammed with junk from the last 80 years (seriously, she still has her Halloween costumes from when she was a child) and she's trapped by her possessions. She won't consider moving to an apartment or someplace more suitable because of all the junk. My goal is to never live like that and let my possessions dictate my life. Once I get in the right mood for decluttering and organizing, I'm a maniac!

Everyone's been talking about how crowded their gyms have been with the New Year's resolutioners, but mine was really empty at 5:30 am yesterday, probably because a lot of people had the day off and were sleeping in. But I was struck by the fact that everyone there was someone who I see every day, and everyone there was a healthy weight. I'm not sure what it means, but it just was surprising not to see anyone who was overweight. I guess we really were the hardcore crowd!

Thank goodness that most of the gym newbies don't show up early in the AM so I can escape most of the January crowds. Unfortunately, on weekends the gym doesn't open until 8:00 am and it will be mobbed this morning. If I can't get an elliptical right off the bat, I'll head for the weight room because newbies tend to leave it alone. It's my favorite place to be, anyway. Yesterday I was doing incline bench press and in between sets, I was lying there, listening to a great song and thinking "I really love this place." What a change from being the fat girl who hated to exercise and was scared of the gym!

After the gym, it will be time to finish putting away Christmas. DH still has Christmas cookies and eggnog, but I'm pretending they don't exist. And even if they did exist (which they don't), they'd be stale and yucky.
Meg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 07:31 AM   #65  
Maintainer Wannabe

S/C/G: 161/143/135

Height: 5'7"

I am going to be at the gym at 8am when the doors open, just to make sure to get my bike for the 9am spin class. Having to ride a different bike makes me grouchy.
WardHog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 09:44 AM   #66  
The Radiant One

S/C/G: 250/142/135

Height: 5'2"

Lily - I wanna see some pics of that ring!

This is one of those times when I am really glad I have a home gym set up. I never have to wait for the bowflex or weights, and the mat is always available for pilates - no matter what time of day
fiberlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 09:47 AM   #67  
Meg

Random observations from the gym ...

... you know you're not working hard enough if you're carrying your Starbucks around with you on the track.

... you know you're not working hard enough if you can laugh and carry on an animated conversation with your buddy while in the middle of a weight set.

... you know you're not working hard enough if you can talk on your cell phone while doing cardio.

Lori, I'm jealous of your home gym today!
Old 01-03-2009, 10:49 AM   #68  

S/C/G: 152/???/132/33

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meg View Post
Lori, I'm jealous of your home gym today!
The benefits of not having a home gym are that you won't ever find cat poo on the floor at the commercial gym . Think she's telling me I've been away from home too long .

Dagmar
Mudpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 11:42 AM   #69  
No description available.

Quote:
Random observations from the gym ...

... you know you're not working hard enough if you're carrying your Starbucks around with you on the track.

Oh man! The only thing that can pass my lips when I am exercising is a small amount of water. Starbucks???

Although, I can and do carry on a conversation while I run with my running buddy. Perhaps we are in a steady state cardio rut.....hmmmm......Sounds like we need some intervals!

Ward, I hope you get your bike!
midwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 12:50 PM   #70  

Talking Funny gym story

And yes, there are dogs involved.

The only "formal" gym I ever belonged to was one run by a group of people in a neighbourhood. They were all members and, when the gym's owner wanted to sell, they bought Alfie's.

They were a bit of a clique, particularly the "serious" early morning people, and didn't fraternize with the newbie (me).

It was managed by a guy who had two dogs, an older mutt and a young great dane pup about the size of a small pony.

I always showed up at 6 a.m. sharp to work out (I lived one block away) and usually met the manager just opening up. One day he was late and had brought the dogs along. I was dressed in my gym stuff but had on "dog walking" stuff overtop and my dogwalking shoes. I also happened to have some biscuits in my pocket, which is the norm for every jacket I own with pockets.

Well it was love at first sight for the great dane pup. While the manager unlocked the front door I gave each of the dogs a biscuit since the dane was sitting practically on my shoes and had his nose stuck to my pocket.

The manager mentioned that he had slept in and hadn't had time to walk or feed the dogs. I gave them another cookie. We went upstairs (the gym was a walkup above a store) and the manager asked me to keep an eye on the dogs for a minute while he turned on lights, got towels, etc.

I went into the change room to take off my sweats and my coat, my new "boyfriend" still sticking to my side. When I came out the manager was nowhere in sight. The older dog headed for the office but the dane pup stuck by my side.

I decided he and I would do a bit of a warmup together. I started jogging around the various machines and he was thrilled! We started playing hide and seek around the machines and running little sprints up and down the centre aisle.

Then my new gym buddy decided it was time to wrestle! I happened to be near a mat when he threw me down so I managed to fall on to that with the (94 lb) pup on top of me. He was growling and carrying on and I decided to just have at him. We wrestled around very loudly for several minutes, having a great time, before I got on top of him and pinned him.

Suddenly I heard a round of applause. I looked up and saw all the gym early morning regulars politely applauding me, the winner of the wrestling bout. Most of them started saying good morning to me after that.

Dagmar (the dog wrestling fool)
Old 01-03-2009, 01:22 PM   #71  

S/C/G: 178/134/125

Height: 5'6"

Dagmar-- that is a hilarious story! I can just picture it. Especially since I have Jozi, the Great Dane! She loves to try to join in if we are exercising or dancing or otherwise playing anywhere in her vicinity. She is a "smallish" Great Dane at only about 120 very lean pounds-- I can't tell you how many times people ask if they can ride her!
traveling michele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 01:24 PM   #72  
Meg

Dagmar, what a terrific story and so well-told! Have you ever thought of collecting your dog stories into a book?
Old 01-03-2009, 04:37 PM   #73  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Thumbs up Now that's a good story

Dagmar - LMAO at your Great Dane story.

You so remind me that I love watching a skilled dog person interact with dogs. Just loving the image of you wrestling with the Great Dane and receiving a round of applause. What a hoot.
BillBlueEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 04:42 PM   #74  
No description available.

That's a great story, Dagmar!
midwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 05:21 PM   #75  

Quote:
Dagmar, what a terrific story and so well-told! Have you ever thought of collecting your dog stories into a book?
Thee are many people who have told their "dog stories" in books. I've yet to hear of a commercial dog walker who has done this, so I have been considering it as a retirement project. I suspect it will be in some kind of online format, rather than paper and ink, although my formal training (a million years ago) was in print journalism.

Thanks for your nod of approval. I find, like me, animal enthusiasts can sometimes be the tiniest bit boring to those who don't love the beasts as we do. I try to limit my "animal" stories to once in a while.

Dagmar (the dog loving fool)