Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 12-31-2008, 08:18 AM   #31  
slow and steady

S/C/G: 185/see signature/135

Height: 5'4"

In case I don't log on tomorrow, happy new year everyone!

Goal - have you tried couch to 5k? There's a thread over on the exercise forum for it. It's a good intro to running that will help you build up from nothing to running for 30 minutes straight.

Megan - I'm the same way, when my company is gone or I'm back from a trip, it's easy to settle back in to "normal" eating at home. When I'm away from home or I have company is when I have the most problems. I am a person who lives by routine (probably enhanced by my mild case of OCD) and when the routine isn't as planned, everything kind of goes to ****.

Speaking of non-routine things, I have a party to go to tonight where I have no idea what the food will be. I'm planning to bring relatively healthy food so at least there will be something safe to eat, but I know my willpower seriously lacks at these kind of events. I'm hoping the fact that my weight is now officially back into an "overweight" BMI will help me be motivated not to overindulge.
paperclippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 10:58 AM   #32  
Workin' It

Water Rat, I've never lived anywhere with real snow (all we get down here is really a heavy frost that people call snow), so I have a touch of that 'dreaming of a white Christmas', I'll admit. I did visit Wisconsin one year during lots of snow and I remember getting tired of it awfully fast! The pic of your house is really pretty!

We have no NYE plans, we have DSS tonight (almost 4 years old) so our plans are most likely go to bed early so we can be prepared for the inevitable
fireworks from across the street that will wake DSS up and keep him awake until 3am...
Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 11:08 AM   #33  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

Good morning everyone and happy New Year's Eve.

I had a little mishap on the treadmill this morning. I was nearing the end of a 45 minute cross training program when I took my glasses off to wipe the sweat off my face. As I went to put them back on, they fell onto the tread and went flying off the back. Of course I stepped off to retrieve them and hit the emergency stop (which I assumed only paused it). Well, it stopped and instead of starting back where it ended, I would have had to start the circuit all over. So I just stopped. At least I got 7 minutes more in than usual.

Bad news. All my favorite jeans were dirty this morning and I didn't want to wear my "dressy" jeans (they require high heels). So I tried on a pair of my not-so-favorites and I couldn't get them on. It is definitely time for a change!

As for living in snow country, I did that for the first 27 years of my life. Of course when I was younger it was great! Building snow forts, snowball fights, skiing--it was all fun. But then you get older and have to shovel the stuff and then drive in the stuff and it no longer is any fun. I'm glad to be where I can see snow on the mountains surrounding our valley but don't have to live with the day-to-day yuckiness of it.
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 12:19 PM   #34  

S/C/G: 261/158/below 160

Height: 5'8" (Dang, I shrank an inch!)

New Year's Eve--a great time for reflecting on things past and thinking about what's ahead. My DH and I will write down three goals for next year while we watch the ball drop. We have two parties to go to this weekend--one tomorrow (Margaritas and Mexican food--oh, no!) and an open house on Saturday. I've got good resolve, though, so I'll be fine.

Speaking of snow, when we first lived here, we bought a house on the corner. Not a smart move when you have to shovel snow every winter. This time around, we told the realtor no corner houses so we only have a little bit of sidewalk to shovel.

Yesterday was animal shelter day for me. I get very tired by about 1:00 pm so I thought I'd try taking out pit bulls and rowdy Labs first before little Chihuahuas and pugs. Still tired, but this time I didn't hit the candy dish for a pick-me-up, but instead had a diet Coke. I haven't had a soda in a long time, but it seemed to help and was better than eating candy. However, I was up an entire pound this morning. Could that be from the diet Coke? I'm positive I didn't put 3500 extra calories in my body yesterday.

Happy New year, everyone! Be careful out there. . .
Sheila53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 01:21 PM   #35  
Working My Way Back Down

Happy New Year's Eve Day!! It's been a long short week at work for me. I really should work Friday, but I also need the long weekend, so that's winning out.

Tonight we had a change of plans. We're going to dinner at a friend's here and then going with them into Anchorage (about 50 miles south) to a NYE square dance party. It's a good solution - no alcohol, mediocre food and some mild exercise. DH and I are taking our car and staying overnight at another friend's so we're not driving tired (way past our normal bedtime) and are not on the road with all those folks who are impaired, from tiredness and/or alcohol. We'll have breakfast with our friend and then come home and take down the tree, etc. Kitties are on their own for NY celebration!

It continues to be COLD. It was -25F this morning, and predicted to go on until at least the middle of next week. I'm so tired of it. I'm never really warm. This morning I have 3 layers of clothes on top: long underwear, long-sleeved T-shirt, fleece vest (the latter two "branded" for the library). At home last night I had on similar layers and ended up wrapped in a quilt in front of the woodstove - and the TV! Plus I had two cats - one on my lap, one beside me. And the thought of eating something cold - like a salad -

So enough whining. I hope you all have a great evening, no matter what you choose to do. And tomorrow will be 2009!!
WaterRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 08:32 PM   #36  
The Radiant One

S/C/G: 250/142/135

Height: 5'2"

Happy New Year's Eve everyone! Stay safe and have a happy holiday!

Sheila - weight can fluctuate so much in a day, diet soda could be making you retain water. I wouldn't sweat it if you were on plan.

I had a great week on plan, except we went out for Mexican tonight. Ooops - chips and salsa were had by me! Haven't had Mexican in probably 11 months. Forgot how addictive those buggers are!
fiberlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 02:41 AM   #37  

S/C/G: 178/134/125

Height: 5'6"

Hope everyone had a great New Year's Eve!!
Have a quick question for you. I pulled a muscle in my calf and it is killing me. It was somewhat sore and then I ran on it-- it felt like someone stabbed me all of a sudden. I am limping terribly which will put a huge damper in my gym plans! I have taken motrin, put icy hot on it, took a hot bath, took a jacuzzi, massaged it.........what else can I do or should I do??
traveling michele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 06:46 AM   #38  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

Have you used ice packs? They are better than heat at first because they slow down the damage.

If it was all of a sudden, then you should rest it and not try to run on it or do any exercise. Seeing a doc might be a good idea--you might have injured a tendon.

Good luck! Feel better!
Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 06:49 AM   #39  
Meg

Happy New Year! I know it's only a day on the calendar, but a new year always feels like a fresh snowfall, when no one has walked on the snow and everything is white and perfect. It kind of feels like anything's possible, you know?

DH and I didn't even make it up to midnight since we were exhausted after a week of Christmas and guests. I woke up to hear the firecrackers going off at midnight and that was about it for celebrating. There's lots to do today to get back to normal, though I think we'll leave the tree up until the weekend.

The gym has ridiculous hours today so I'll work out at home. I'm not looking forward to the January influx of gym newbies but for the most part, they don't show up at 5:30 am when I'm there. Wonder why? Besides, we were all gym newbies once, right?

Michele, ouch on the calf! Seriously, you're just going to have to rest it until it heals. There isn't any way to shortcut or speed up the process. Keep taking anti-inflammatories around the clock (most people take them sporadically, which works for pain but not inflammation) and try not to aggravate it until it's fully healed. You don't want to turn it into one of those chronic, nagging injuries that never goes away. Can you ride a bike without pain? Or lift weights, especially seated?

Pat, your weather makes me cold just reading about it! I would die. Salads and protein shakes are too cold for me right now too -- I'm craving warm foods. I made soup out of our Christmas turkey carcass ....

Arghh ... time to start the laundry.

May this be a wondeful, happy, healthy year for all of us (and our IRAs )!
Meg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 07:44 AM   #40  
Maintainer Wannabe

S/C/G: 161/143/135

Height: 5'7"

Happy New Year!

I am off to spin this morning. I will have to get there early because my gym has already been packed! The crowds will thin out again around March.

Best wishes to all in 2009!
WardHog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 09:44 AM   #41  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

May you all have a wonderful year 2009!
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 10:25 AM   #42  

S/C/G: 152/???/132/33

Height: 5'4"

Thumbs up Happy 2009 everyone!

The dog and I were the first ones out in the valley today. It's -15 but no wind and the sun is shining in a blue sky. We had a terrific walk with lots of stick tug-of-war, some jogging, and a little hide and seek. He sacked out on his bed after we got back.

I've also done a strength workout - my first in 10 days. I'm pleasantly wobbly as I post.

I had dinner/watched a movie with DH last night and came back here and went to bed at midnight. We don't really do fireworks here at New Year's so all was pretty quiet.

Hope everyone is starting 2009 as happily as I am today!

Dagmar
Mudpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 11:00 AM   #43  
Workin' It

Happy 2009 everybody! Our last night was pretty uneventful - the neighbors across the street didn't set off the fireworks we expected so DSS actually stayed asleep past midnight. Of course he then got up at 12:30 because he pulled his blanket off his feet, 3:30 because he needed his turtle in the bed with him, 3:45 because he didn't really want his turtle after all, 5:35 because he knew it was after 6:00am and really time to get up already and then 6:15 with "can I please please get up now..." So, a lot of up and down for daddy & me... (is that the right way to say that? daddy & me? daddy & I? My grammar is better in other languages than it is in English... )

I have got to work out today. My legs were sore from my Tuesday run yesterday (didn't stretch, wrong shoes... ) so I didn't exercise yesterday, but I have to get something in today. Probably something lighter like yoga and then my stationary bike.

I'm not a member of a gym, all my equipment is in my guest room. I'm thinking about moving it all into the garage and giving up my parking in there so I can have more space. I really want a weight bench with actualy weights instead of a cable/resistance bar machine and I just don't have room for it in the guest room. Plus, DHs resolution is to get back into appreciating his music more, and his turntable shares space with the exercise equipment.... At least I don't have to deal with people taking up all the equipment, though!

Have a great day everybody!
Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 11:09 AM   #44  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

I think your English is just fine and "daddy and me" is correct.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 11:25 AM   #45  

Height: 5'7"

Just popping in to say Happy New Year everyone!

Anne
AnneWonders is offline   Reply With Quote