PCOS/Insulin Resistance Support Support for us with any of the following: Insulin Resistance, Syndrome X, Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome, or other endocrine disorders.

Old 07-01-2011, 08:05 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 189/186.8/160 (restart)

Height: 5'5"

Default July 2011 PCOS Support Thread

Hello everyone! It's July 1st, which means that our old thread is found here: http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/pcos...rt-thread.html

And it also means we can start over again this month to see how we're doing!

Who's here this month?
How are you?
What are you working on?
How was last month?
How's your PCOS management going?

Last edited by Rana; 07-01-2011 at 08:06 AM.
Rana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 08:13 AM   #2  

Who's here this month?

I am! Hopefully for more time than last month.

How are you?

I'm good. Deeply exhausted, I think, but I'm doing good. I've been traveling so much recently (every two weeks) that I am feeling it in my bones.

What are you working on?

Well, the most obvious one is maintaining my weight while traveling. I still have the problem that I see "travel" as an excuse to get off plan, because uh-well-I'm-not-home-so-I-can't-possibly-follow-plan and it's an attitude that I REALLY have to change.

It's except it's not in the forefront of my mind. I can sit here and blab on about planning and choosing wisely, but when I'm faced with a cookie or a piece of cake, all knowledge (and pain and suffering of losing weight) goes out the window and it's like I've never been on a diet.

I don't know how to fix it.

I need help!

How was last month?

Relatively good. In two weeks I took off the weight that I had gained, but never made it back under 165.

Now, I only had three days to recuperate my weight again and I saw the scale go down but I left before it finished going down.

I'm hoping that since I am now with my family (and they are all thin and eat healthy) that I'll be tempted less. As it stands, I already ate super healthy yesterday.........except for some chocolate that I had brought with me and some cookies my aunt offered me!!!!

Good. I'm still exercising and taking my supplements and while I was traveling last week I got my period, which I thought I wasn't going to get because it was about 2 weeks late. So, YAY!

I also got back the results from my endo appointment back at the end of May and my doc is just happy with my weight loss and my lab results are showing everything hormonal and thyroid related is NORMAL!!!!!!

YAY.

So, I just have to continue to stick to plan because once I hit 160, I will get one of my prizes (a trip!!!!) and this up and down from the travel thing is driving me nuts.

Two more trips...... and then hopefully I'm done for the summer/year.....
Old 07-01-2011, 10:37 AM   #3  
PCOS/IR/Hypothyroid

Height: 5'8"

Thanks for getting us started, Rana!

Who's here this month?

Me!

How are you?

Chugging along despite my allergies. They are terrible this week with all the pollen.

What are you working on?
  • Going to get checked for sleep apnea.
  • On cycle day 70 (!). Not pregnant, just taking a BCP break and I'm always way irregular when I'm off BCP.
  • Finding lowering carbs a bit tricky with child home from school. She's on a weird time table and I let it go because it is summer!
  • The food loggging going fine. I never mind writing it down.
  • Regular exercise is still my beast. But trying out DVDs to fit in more, enjoying the regular bowling. Had to restart my PALA challenge, but I am still trying to rack up another one.
How was last month?

Better than May!

I am feeling better, but labs will tell me at the end of the month how areas are. I'm thinking I'll be adding vitex to see how that helps on the period front.

A.

Last edited by astrophe; 07-01-2011 at 10:44 AM.
astrophe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 03:59 AM   #4  
Here We Go

S/C/G: Ticker

Height: 5'7"

Who's here this month?

I'm around

How are you?

I'm ok. I've been dealing with some family issues, but I'm feeling better about all of it. I feel awful about just popping on and off here all of the time, but I'm hoping to stick around for a while this time.

What are you working on?

Eating. I'm doing okay with the exercise, but I have an addiction to food that's driving me crazy. I guess I'm also working on actually sticking to my plans this time. I need to stop giving up on myself.

How was last month?

It was great! It's the best month I've had in a while. =) I finally have myself back to trying to get healthy. I was doing well the end of last year, but it all went out the window for the most part once the holidays hit. I've been trying to get back on the wagon since, but never stuck to anything for long after that. Last month I got 400 minutes of exercise in and lost 4 pounds. Just two more pounds til I'm caught up with my ticker, lol.

Not so great, but I'm finally back to taking my metformin. I was supposed to see my endo back in February, but I never made the appointment. I haven't wanted to go back because I have a feeling she won't be too happy with me. I haven't stuck to taking my metformin, I quit the Vitamin D she had me taking, and I haven't really lost much weight. I really need to make an appointment.

Last edited by t0rn; 07-02-2011 at 04:00 AM.
t0rn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 11:20 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 224/146/147

Height: 5"2

Who's here this month?
Me

How are you?
I am good :d cannot wait until my birthday at the end of the month as i am having a party

What are you working on?
Trying to loose 5lbs before my birthday on the 29th july

How was last month?
same old same old i am off for the summe rnow so bored

still the same i am on the pill 3 months straight so will not have a period until august now x
ems81wales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 02:01 PM   #6  
Lone Locust of Apocalypse

S/C/G: 310/310/150

Height: 5'6"

Who's here this month?

I'm here, too.

How are you?

I'm doing alright. I'm still fatigued, but I guess I'm used to that.

What are you working on?

I'm trying to get exercise in daily, and I'm also trying to figure out what to eat. I've been feeling nauseous because of the metformin, so a lot of foods don't appeal to me. I need to balance low carb with inexpensive, and I haven't got the trick of it yet.

How was last month?

Last month was good. I didn't have as much weight loss as in May (because I was on P1 of SBD in May), but I didn't gain anything either. A month without weight gain is always a good month! A month without financial gain, however, not as fun.

I'm getting my new bottle of metformin today. I think it really does help me with my weight loss. It doesn't make me lose crazy amounts of weight, but I tend to stall when I'm not taking it. I've been getting regular periods with the metformin. I'm not sure if it's because I've been taking a more absorbable form of calcium, but my cramps are not nearly as bad as they used to be! Just one day of mild cramping instead of three to four days of agony.

I have some really good news! I have discolored skin from acanthosis nigricans and it's ON MY FACE. It's under my mouth just above my chin. It's like a very thick and upside down mustache. There's also a patch under my chin to the left. Well, I was washing up when I glanced into the mirror and I realized it was a lot lighter. It's still discernible, but you wouldn't be able to see it from far away. It was grayish-black before, now it's light brown. I thought I was seeing things or the lighting was somehow different, so I asked my mom if she could see a difference and she agreed that there was. I'm so glad to see a visible effect the weight loss has had on my PCOS! I hope my body knocks it off with the excess hair on my neck!

Overall, I'm feeling really good about handling the PCOS. Go me!

Last edited by Regera Dowdy; 07-02-2011 at 02:02 PM.
Regera Dowdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 05:10 PM   #7  
HE'S my motivation!

S/C/G: 238.8 / 238.8 / 140

Height: 5'3

Who's here this month?
I am =D Hello again!

How are you?
I'm GREAT!!! How are YOU? =D

What are you working on?
TTC =) We are going to try again and also going to maybe look into fertility help just in case

How was last month?
It sucked. Especially with my surgery BUT before my surgery I did start walking more andtaking the dog out for runs.

I don't have any management. But I hope I will soon. Going to look up recipes to help with it. Cut back on the carbs and all that good fun stuff.

So glad to be back! I will need that extra push to keep me on track. Heap, I am that co-dependent. LOL

So, what did I miss? What did I miss? =)
Nicoyaangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 10:48 PM   #8  
HE'S my motivation!

S/C/G: 238.8 / 238.8 / 140

Height: 5'3

For the minutes thread, is the goal to beat the previous month or the highest number? That would be fun =)
Nicoyaangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 12:16 AM   #9  
nothing2lose

S/C/G: 112.7kg/110.8kg/99kg (for now)

Height: 165cm

Who's here this month?

Hi, I am nothing2lose from Melbourne, Australia. I am a newbie. I was diagnosed with PCOS about 15-16 years ago.

How are you?

I am just finishing the first week of phase one of the South Beach Diet. I have lost 2 kilos so far (4.4 pounds). A recent insulin test was 15 (up from 9 a year ago).

What are you working on?
Losing weight, getting pregnant
Exercise - I find it hard to do!!!

How was last month?
Good - I wasnt dieting!

I guess I don't really manage it as such. Which is why I am fat and infertile I guess

Last edited by nothing2lose; 07-03-2011 at 12:17 AM.
nothing2lose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 11:46 PM   #10  
PCOS/IR/Hypothyroid

Height: 5'8"

For the minutes -- it depends who is playing... but yah... there are months where we beat the "old pile" of minutes.

So I failed my sleep test. I couldn't sleep with all the wires attached to me! Felt like a robot woman -- wires coming from my head in my hair, my eye, my cheek, chin, nostrils, finger, chest, back, waist, legs. Oy. Then tossing and turning from 9 PM til 3 AM when the tech took pity and asked me if I wanted to keep trying til 5 AM to log a REM cycle or just go home. I went home. I'm not sure what to do next about all that so I'll have to check with my doc. Oy.

DH is on vacation so we're having a lot of family time and outings... navigating the eating out is a bit tricky -- going to a party tomorrow. Mentally, emotionally, and spiritually all is good. Physically of course -- that's a work in progress.

Bowling was awful this week -- I swear I get clumsy when I expect TOM. Hopefully I get it this time -- it's starting to feel like I will but it could be another fake out. We'll see.

A.

Last edited by astrophe; 07-03-2011 at 11:47 PM.
astrophe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 01:56 PM   #11  
June

S/C/G: 240/184/155

Height: 5'6"

How are you?

Nervous, I have a doc appointment in a few hours to hopefully get someone who is more aware of PCOS and not a total jerk who just ignores all our questions. We'll see how it goes...

What are you working on?

Remembering to take birth control to hopefully decrease these cysts and increase my protein intake because it's been helping my cravings immensely! Also, just sticking to my exercise plan as usual.

How was last month?

It was really hard on me. After all my weight loss I really thought cysts were a thing of my past. I found out last month that my remaining ovary had cysts twice the volume of the "acceptable" range and since we're hoping to TTC soon I took that pretty hard.

Ok, I guess? Just just started BCP and haven't really changed much else besides that... I haven't had as much pain in my side so I take that as a good thing...
runningfromfat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 08:06 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 217/ticker/115

Height: 5'0"

Who's here this month?
I'm here! Checking in a little late - haven't had much time to goof off on line this week because work has been crazy busy!

How are you?
I'm doing well! Feeling good about my progress and feel like I'm falling into tune with my body better.

What are you working on?
I'm stepping up my exercise regimen this month. I'd like to get myself to 45 minutes on the elliptical. I'm at 30 minutes right now, so I'm confident I can get there. My second goal was to achieve ONEderland and I hit it this morning, weighing in at 199.5. My weight fluctuates, so I'm not planning to count it as permanent just yet. Fingers crossed that I hang in there. It felt so good!

How was last month?
June was good. My first full month back on target with my weight loss and I feel really happy with my focus and commitment, and of course I have enjoyed the progress that has come from it. I was particularly tempted when I took my DDs to an amusement park. They wanted fried dough...my #1 carb temptation. I LOVE fried dough. I let them get some as their dessert, but it was too hot for them to hold and break pieces off of, so I had to hold it for them and tear pieces off...smelling it in all of it's deliciousness. BUT...drum roll...I didn't eat ANY OF IT. NONE! (I didn't even lick the powdered sugar off my fingers, I swear!!!) I was so proud of myself. It was so hard to not take a "harmless" itty bitty piece...

I've lost 17.5 pounds since starting in May and I've already noticed a big difference in my PCOS. Thanks to the metformin, my cycles have been pretty regular, but I feel like things are working more smoothly. My cycle was a bit lighter and shorter in June, my chin whiskers are growing slower and thinner, and I'm finding that I'm sleeping better at night now that I've dropped some weight. I will beat PCOS. I will. It will not dictate my life. I'm so determined to outsmart it and kick it to the curb.
dogdaysofdiets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 05:43 PM   #13  

Hello everyone! I'm glad you're all here!!!!

I'm back from my traveling (again!!!!) and while I didn't again any additional weight, I'm still up 3-4 lbs from where I was back in May/April and I don't like it!!!!!!!!!

Damn the traveling.... but at least this particular trip I was able to eat more healthy and I was watching what I was eating...... I just need to actually lose the weight....

I'm back on the wagon today and will be going to exercise class.

Still taking all my supplements, even if I remember at 2 AM.......
Old 07-08-2011, 06:50 AM   #14  

S/C/G: 224/146/147

Height: 5"2

hey girls hope your all well i lost 2.5lbs yesterday only 2.5lbs to go for my birthday goal i hope i get it xxx
ems81wales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 03:19 PM   #15  

Congratulations, Ems, you're doing SO well!!!! I know you'll reach your birthday goal!!!!

I wish I had that kind of weight loss right now!