PCOS/Insulin Resistance Support Support for us with any of the following: Insulin Resistance, Syndrome X, Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome, or other endocrine disorders.

Closed Thread

Old 10-17-2002, 09:36 AM   #1  
Jo
Catatonic

Question Question about IR & PCOS

Hi,

I was diagnosed with PCOS a while ago (probably 5 or 6 years). The only thing the doctor(s) wanted to give me for it was BCP's, which I took for a while. The BCP's made me ill, though, so I didn't take them very long (maybe about 1 1/2 years). After I stopped the BCP's I started reading about Metformin being used as a treatment for PCOS. I asked my doctor about prescribing it for me. He sent me in for a glucose tolerance test and said that the results showed I did not have insulin resistance and therefore was not a candidate for Metformin. Well, here it is about 4 years later, and now I'm a type II diabetic. Since diabetes takes 10 - 20 years to develop, I think that I probably was insulin resistant at the time I talked to my doctor.

I've been following a diabetic type II diet and exercising regularly to try to get my blood sugar levels under control. So far it seems to be working, my fasting glucose is about 100 and my A1C is about 6.6. My question, though, is this: Even though my glucose levels are good and I'm eating right & exercising, I still am not having regular menstrual cycles. Anyone know why?

TIA,

Jo
350+/287/125?
Old 10-17-2002, 10:59 AM   #2  
PCOS Educator (non prof)

Are you on GlucophageXR now? Your doc was an idiot in my opinion. ALL PCOSers are candidates for PCOS. ALL PCOSers are SOMEWHAT IR even if they dont register as so or we wouldnt BE PCOS to begin with. Arg! Some docs.

Anyway, http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/jour...80&action=view for more information. Sorry things turned out this way. DT2 is reversable in some cases if you can work hard at it. Some have become pre-daibetic again with lots of work. It can happen, but not sure how severe yours is.

Good luck hun! Prayers are sent to you!
Closed Thread