Closed Thread

Old 01-29-2011, 03:12 PM   #16  

Anne - I agree with you and consider my way of eating an Atkins approach even though I've tweaked it. I didn't do an induction. I still drink a bit of coffee and allow some aspertaime (sp?) in some of my SF foods like occasional jello or puddings. There are purists who will argue (and rightfully so) that those things are not part of the Atkins program. But Atkins is the foundation that I draw from in my menu planning.
Old 01-29-2011, 05:18 PM   #17  

S/C/G: 238/ticker/170

Height: 5'9

I have been looking for something like this. I lost 30 pounds a few years ago just by staying in phase 1 of SB- so atkins like? I obviously gained it back so I don't want to be that extreme this time around, but my body feels so much better on a low carb/ high fat diet. I'm also breastfeeding so that is bringing about it's own challenges with making me feel hungry all the time and I just can't eat low calorie or I will have a decrease in my supply. Not that I could ever be a calorie counter anyways...

I hope we can keep this thread alive because I and I'm sure everyone else could use the support with living a low carb-esque lifestyle.

And I agree about all the weird "rules", especially regarding potatoes and carrots and other so called starchy vegetables. IMO, as long as you aren't eating them every day, or in the form of chips they are a vegetable and healthy for you! Maybe it's just my personality, but I just can't be that extreme
Old 01-29-2011, 05:42 PM   #18  
Melissa

Height: 5'6.5"

Glad I found this thread. That's what I'm doing this time around too. Everyone has to find what works for them and for me, following a strict guideline designed for every'body' does not jive so well with my 'body' all the time.

I recently found out that my blood sugars were in the diabetic range, twice (as they are working to get my under active thyroid in check). My doctor is giving me 3 months (2.3 months to go) to see if I can get my blood sugars in check. I know I can do it, because I did it when I was pregnant with my youngest nearly 6 years ago. I have REALLY high blood sugars, but within 4 weeks, I had fasting blood glucose levels of 70 (versus about 190 before). All by my diet choices.

I now know that my body just can't tolerate most simpler carbs (potatoes being the odd exception). Since I learned that through checking my blood 7 times a day during pregnancy, I know what works. I basically can eat all the vegetables I want (being careful a bit with carrots and other 'sweet' veggies) which I already did and all the meat and beans I want and I skip the rest - no rice with dinner, no bread ever and it works. I exercise every day and eat this low carb, high fat diet (trying to get as many 'good' fats as possible) and I eat for hunger. If one day I eat 1800 calories and feel full, fine. If the next day I need about 2000 calories to feel not hungry, then that's how I eat. Going hungry leads to bad choices soon enough.

While I think the Atkins diet is so extreme, I'm so glad for the high protein/fiber bars and shakes he has. Great to have with me when the hunger hits and I don't have other low carb alternatives. I never noticed how many foods in food courts and strip malls were high carb until I couldn't have them any more!
Old 01-31-2011, 01:07 AM   #19  

I read somewhere around the net that if you don't follow every atkins rule it's just another "junk food low carb diet". I think the only junk food I eat is diet jello, I'm not even sure if that's a junk food, but comes in a processed looking food package, mhm. I do eat veggies and fruit not allowed, I count the carbs (50-60 a day) and my body seems fine with it. Whatever people think about it, the best place for me to read about diet is an Atkins board/Atkins recipes, and that's where I'm going to hang out. I'll just be careful now about any suggestion I make from now on.
Old 01-31-2011, 10:22 AM   #20  
This is the Last Time!

S/C/G: 172/*ticker*/115

Height: 5'2"

I'm glad to see this thread going again. I actually just got back on a plan TODAY! I have been working out and starting to run (just started working out 3 weeks ago), but haven't been able to stick to a diet plan. I tried Weight Watchers, and while I know it's a great plan for many people, I just couldn't stick to it. I have some major mental blocks going on and can't seem to stick to anything lately!

Anyway..I decided to give Atkins another chance. I got a free "jump-start" package in the mail, and I checked out books from the library. If I need to add in some carbs, I will, but for now I'm going to try and do the "Induction" phase for 2 weeks to get motivated.

Today I had a tomato/spinach/cheese omelet and bacon for breakfast and I'm drinking some coffee with heavy cream and 1 pack of Splenda. I'm not sure what I'll have for lunch, but I have lots of fresh veggies in the house, so I might have tuna and veggies. Hopefully I'll find a meat I want, ugh. That's the hardest part for me. I get so sick of chicken. Any suggestions?

Take care everyone. Here's to an awesome week!
Old 01-31-2011, 10:34 AM   #21  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

Pork tenderloin is very nice. I wrap it in foil with spices. Very easy.
Old 01-31-2011, 02:14 PM   #22  
This is the Last Time!

oh, thank you..I love pork..will have to take out some chops or ribs..
Old 01-31-2011, 02:35 PM   #23  

S/C/G: 280/ticker/10

Height: 5'2

I don't know if I'm allowed to post other forums here, but try lowcarbfriends.com. Their forum is full of low-carbers of every and any kind and they have a ton of information and a lot of people posting that are really "respected" in the low carb community from making up recipes and stuff. Just stick around the general low carb board which is the most active board, it's at the top.
Old 01-31-2011, 04:27 PM   #24  

S/C/G: 189/186.8/160 (restart)

Height: 5'5"

I also don't follow a specific low carb diet, I discovered a long time ago that I hate following "rules". So I could never do South Beach or Atkins. I'll resort to a plan like that if my own rules don't work.

I'm increasing my protein and my fats (reducing carbs as a consequence) because I want to see if it affects my weight loss. I know I have IR and I've been keeping it in check through diet (no drugs) and supplements and now I want to see how far I can push my diet.

My goal is not just to be low carb for the sake of being low carb. My goal is to be in a food plan that works well in my environment and keeps me healthy.

I take a little bit of every diet that's out there to make something work for me.

I'm going down this path now, but I can easily see myself moving to vegetarian if this is not a path that my body can handle well.
Old 01-31-2011, 07:06 PM   #25  
This is the Last Time!

Today went pretty well. I had too much cream (it's a bad vice on a low-carb plan for me), and too much sugar-free...but NO carbs such as breads or sugars or anything..I'm working on it. I know it takes time and it's a big adjustment for me b/c I was eating everything in sight lately. I hope tomorrow (and the next few weeks) go just as good.
Old 02-04-2011, 11:26 AM   #26  

S/C/G: 256/249/156

Height: 5'9

I am in the same boat. I've decided to STRICTLY limit my carb intake...I didn't think I would be able to do it...I am an Italian girl and I love bread and pasta. I still have bread every now and then or pasta but its always whole grain..and to be honest I feel alot better physically and mentally.
Old 03-15-2011, 05:17 PM   #27  

S/C/G: 183/177/140

Default Why We Get Fat and What to do about it

I'm a newbie to this forum, but I just finished reading the book, "Why We Get Fat and What to do about it" by Gary Taubes. It really was a great book, and made total sense. Something just clicked. He doesn't really draw out a "diet" per se, but just says to avoid carbs. There is no need to count calories or fat grams (with a really good explanation as to why). I know it's hard to believe after what we've been told for the last 60 years about fat and calories, but since I've tried everything else with no results, I thought I'd give it a try.

It's only been a week, but so far, so good. Since there is no calorie restrictions, I can eat until I am satisfied, and am never really hungry. I do however get cravings, which can be difficult. I've never really had a sweet tooth, but I am definitely a carboholic. I realized after I started this new eating, that every one of my meals contained cereal or bread, and my snacks were usually crackers or chips. I'm hoping with some support, they will soon become more manageable and will eventually disappear. After one week, I've lost 4 lbs, which is more than I've ever lost in one week on any other "diet". I realize that it's probably water weight, but it is encouraging and motivating nonetheless. If anyone else is following Mr. Taubes' advice, I'd like to hear about your results
Old 03-15-2011, 06:59 PM   #28  
is determined!

S/C/G: 208/194.5/130

Height: 5'6"

It's nice to see this thread. I too am on my own modified low carb type diet. I read an article recently about carbs/their cumulative effect on the body, etc and thought I'd give it a try. A lot of the article made sense as to the problems I'd been having previously so I thought I'd give it a try. So far I'm quite happy with it.
Old 03-16-2011, 09:58 PM   #29  

S/C/G: >138/124/114

Height: 5'4"

And here I thought I was a freak!
I must say-reading everyone's posts about how they got to goal are motivating, but they made me wonder if I was doing the right thing-most everyone seems to count calories, or do low-fat.
Knowing that I could do neither in a healthy or sane manner, I too picked up Why We Get Fat and What to Do About It. Reassurance is good for the brain.
I've lost more than 5lbs in the past 15 days, my pants feel lose, my acne is almost entirely gone, and I almost never feel hungry.
I try to eat breakfast every morning, but mostly I eat a large bag of blister peanuts, dry roasted almonds with some raisins, cranberries and apricots mixed in. This is eaten between 10am and 1.30pm.
A few years ago, my dad had high cholesterol. Being a nut like myself, he did his own research, discarded conventional wisdom and ate high fat low carb. He's a healthy twig now-complains about not begin able to buy pants small enough.
Mostly, I don't eat fake junk, don't eat out of boredom(and have subsequently realized how damn bored I get) avoid eating grains more than twice a day. Mostly, I'm doing this out of a need to eat sustainably healthy, as well as being fed up buying clothes. I recently bought a 32G. It got too small in the cup. Cue me setting of on my journey here.
Old 03-20-2011, 10:16 AM   #30  

S/C/G: 183/177/140

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esenin View Post
And here I thought I was a freak!
I must say-reading everyone's posts about how they got to goal are motivating, but they made me wonder if I was doing the right thing-most everyone seems to count calories, or do low-fat.
Knowing that I could do neither in a healthy or sane manner, I too picked up Why We Get Fat and What to Do About It. Reassurance is good for the brain.
I've lost more than 5lbs in the past 15 days, my pants feel lose, my acne is almost entirely gone, and I almost never feel hungry.
I try to eat breakfast every morning, but mostly I eat a large bag of blister peanuts, dry roasted almonds with some raisins, cranberries and apricots mixed in. This is eaten between 10am and 1.30pm.
A few years ago, my dad had high cholesterol. Being a nut like myself, he did his own research, discarded conventional wisdom and ate high fat low carb. He's a healthy twig now-complains about not begin able to buy pants small enough.
Mostly, I don't eat fake junk, don't eat out of boredom(and have subsequently realized how damn bored I get) avoid eating grains more than twice a day. Mostly, I'm doing this out of a need to eat sustainably healthy, as well as being fed up buying clothes. I recently bought a 32G. It got too small in the cup. Cue me setting of on my journey here.
Well it does seem to be working for both of us. Keep it up if it continues to work for you, no matter what people think and say. The information in the book is a little hard for people to understand because they are constantly thinking about the ol' "calories in, calories out" way of weight loss. My husband can't understand how I can't have a banana but can have a big greasy pork chop and still lose weight. I'm on week 2 (it is getting easier) and down 6 lbs.
Closed Thread