Closed Thread

Old 03-23-2011, 07:28 PM   #31  

S/C/G: 145/130/110

Height: 5'2"

I'm so glad I found this thread! All I'm trying to do is make good choices that involve limiting my carbs and increasing my fats! I've been doing the opposite for a year now and lost 15lbs, but now I'm stuck and just turned onto Taubes. I'm hoping it works, I'll find out soon enough!
Old 03-27-2011, 08:53 PM   #32  
Jiggle, BE GONE WITH YOU!

S/C/G: 256/185/170

Height: 5'6

Hi everyone!
I'm on board with the no plan low carb lifestyle.....poppin in to say howdy!
Old 03-27-2011, 09:17 PM   #33  

S/C/G: 264/202/163

Height: 5'4"

This applies to me too. I don't know much about any low carb diet and don't know the rules... I just know what I am doing and it is working. I try to limit my NET carbs to 100. Don't even know why fiber negates a carb but that is what I am doing. I also limit my calories to 1500 and fat to 65g.

What is everyone else doing?
Old 03-31-2011, 01:25 PM   #34  

S/C/G: 278/209/199

Height: 5'9"

Glad to find people who are doing the same thing as I am. I am not counting any fat or calories...just trying to reduce my carbs. Seems like before every meal for me was all about pasta, rice, potatoes or bread. Already 3 weeks without and and I am feeling great. Weight loss is only at 4.5lbs right now though...hoping it will keep coming off. Best of luck to all!!
Old 04-08-2011, 01:41 PM   #35  

S/C/G: 205/205/135

Height: 5'4"

I am kind of in the same boat. I did South Beach before and have been contemplating Atkins.. But I would rather have a combo of each. I also need to do this without spending a ton of money. Grocery prices are insane. So I will probably do an Atkins approach but maybe with some more in season veggies and a half cup of beans every now and then.
Old 05-04-2011, 10:08 PM   #36  

S/C/G: 215/162/140-130

Height: 5'6"

Default :)

I am new to the forum, but I too did a low carb non atkins diet and had great success. I was working out, felt great, and slim and I was even eating some fruits as well. I just kept my crabs under 20g everyday but i would eat whatever i wanted (except for bread, starch, cookies) and I was down to a size 4!

I guess we are the *******-atkiners lmao...

Anyways, i am going back to what I did many years ago because i felt great, I looked amazing, and I was satisfied!

Glad i found this thread, i hope we can keep it up!
Old 05-15-2011, 12:43 AM   #37  

S/C/G: size18/size18/size12

Height: 5.7

Terrific thread! Yes, please, keep it going! I do best and feel best on lower carb but I hate rules and counting.
I lost a lot of weight using "Protein Power" several years ago and then messed things up for myself by trying to switch to just calorie counting. I think that I am one of those people who needs to stay away from carbs--sweets in particular. I had some success last year using the principles outlined in Marc Bittman's eco-friendly "Food Matters," which is also very do-it-yourself but got busy and started eating junk food again. I am trying out my own cross between low-carb and whole food so: high protein (good quality meat, cheese and fat), high fiber (veggies, fruits, nuts, legumes, moderate whole grains), no sugar, as few processed foods as possible. Someone mentioned elsewhere Gary Taubes' "Why we get fat" and that book gave me hope that I could lose weight again as did Robert H. Lustig's youtube video, "Sugar: The Bitter Truth."
Old 05-21-2011, 02:24 PM   #38  

S/C/G: 236/212/190

Height: 5'5"

I've gradually morphed into a similar plan. I've always done well on low carb (Atkins, Protein Power), but haven't been able to maintain it long-term 'cause I missed some foods and also found it difficult to buck the prevailing diet "wisdom." I tried WW, but counting points isn't for me, so I tried Simply Filling/Core. I've come to believe that fat isn't the enemy as much as carbs (a la Gary Taubes and the movie Fat Head), so WW's insistence on low- or no-fat everything didn't ring true. I finally decided on WW Simply Filling but without the focus on low fat, and I decided to try limiting the whites (starches such as grains, potatoes, sugar). I discovered that that's what Dr. Rob Thompson advocates in his book [I]The Glycemic Load Diet[I]. I've been following it for 8 weeks now. As with low carb, I'm not hungry, cravings are gone, and the weight is coming off, usually about a pound a week. In four more weeks I'll have my blood checked to see how my cholesterol, etc., are doing. This is so easy and satisfying.
Sharon
Old 06-06-2011, 08:28 AM   #39  

I started eating low carb (Atkins induction, really) 4 weeks ago. I have only had 2 "cheat" meals in that time and have a much lower appetite and fewer cravings. I have NOT been counting carbs, however. I chose to try low carb specifically because I didn't want to count anything anymore! (Points, calories, etc.) The first week I was down 5 pounds and by the end of the second week, lost another pound and the cravings and appetite were gone. I was thrilled and determined to stick with this, even though in the past, I was lucky to stick to any plan for more than a few days.
I started doing the 30 day Shred workout DVD a couple of weeks in, every other day. I have about 30 more pounds to lose and am 39 years old.

So, question: I have not lost any more weight from the first 2 weeks! I am eating meat, dairy, veggies. I also added a spoonful of natural, sugar-free peanut butter a couple days this week, and a handful of almonds a couple days. But before this week, I hadn't even had any nuts. I drink half-caff coffee, black in the mornings (prob 2/3 of a pot), and one or two diet Pepsi's, the rest is water.
When the scale didn't really move last week, I tried not to get worried, figuring it would move this week. Just got off the scale and still nothing. I'm so disheartened! I have resisted so many amazing temptations and feel like it's been for nothing!

I would LOVE any advice or insight anyone can give. I'm not throwing in the towel yet, but I want to get this weight off!
Old 06-07-2011, 07:37 AM   #40  

S/C/G: 236/212/190

Height: 5'5"

From time to time I have had very similar experiences. It really is disheartening not to see movement on the scale, and after a couple or three weeks of no "apparent" results for my efforts, in the past I've thrown in the towel. However, here's what I now do instead. I stop weighing! Now, I'm a habitual daily weigher, so this is huge for me, and the scale keeps beckoning, but I refuse to give in. With great effort I've resisted the scale for three or four weeks and instead have focused on how I'm feeling and continuing to eat right. The scale will eventually move, and even better, you will continue to lose -- slowly -- inches. When you become discouraged, you might try this. I'm 66 now, and I'm finally accepting that it's going to be a long, slow journey for me. Hang in there!
Sharon
Old 06-07-2011, 11:33 AM   #41  

Since I don't weigh myself, my advice is going to be similar to Shareli's: it's probably better not to weigh yourself. If you "feel" lighter when you wake up in the morning and your clothes are feeling a little bit looser then it should be working. If you "only" have 30 lbs to lose (as opposed to those of us who have 50-60+lbs or more to lose) then I think your actual "weight" loss will go slower. You may not have that much excess body fat, which is a good thing to begin with! Slow weight loss also doesn't mean you're not losing body fat--and you want to lose body fat! Make sure that you're eating until you're full (not overeating or, crucially undereating!). Don't undereat thinking that you'll lose more that way! Also, don't overeat protein/fatty foods because you think they're "free." If you're finding it difficult to stick to low-carb considering adding in some low-glycemic index carbs from time to time: some berries or stone fruits, more nuts, beans/legumes, a little bit of whole-grain (no sugar, real whole-grain) bread or toast. I have gone back to low-carb for a month now and I feel the difference in my clothes, in my energy level and in my body when I wake up in the morning. I don't weigh myself but everything is maybe 1/2 size to big after 4 weeks. My body fat percentage is pretty high, so I have a lot of fat to lose overall and I anticipate that the changes will be slower as I go on--as Shareli said, that's OK! I was also just reading this morning that low-carb diets help you lose deep belly fat--the kind that's really bad for your health--even if there isn't a big movement in the scale. It's a first step in a healthier and leaner you!
The article is called "Cut Down on 'Carbs' to Reduce Body Fat, Study Authors Say" and it's on the Science Daily website for June 5, 2011.
Old 06-07-2011, 11:38 AM   #42  

With regards to Shareli's post from a few weeks ago, I wanted to add that a work colleague of mine who has diabetes has been doing something similar since January and has lost 32 lbs or more! She joined Weight Watchers but basically modified it to suit her own needs--no sugar, whole-grain, whole-foods, only eat until you're full, etc. It has also really helped her diabetes!
Old 06-08-2011, 12:23 AM   #43  

mommy2boysaz,

One thing to watch is the kind of sweetener in your diet sodas. Several people on another thread found that eliminating diet sodas with Splenda, saccharin, and aspartame helped their weight loss.

There are diet sodas made with stevia or purvia, which are more expensive, but they are suppose to be okay.

My favorite new summer beverage is iced pomegranate green tea with a little stevia. Besides tasting good, green tea helps with weight loss.
Old 06-12-2011, 01:12 PM   #44  

S/C/G: 203/198/170

Height: 5'8"

After a few months away I am planning to begin visiting this site daily again. It is VERY helpful and supportive!

Today I talked my significant other out of making pancakes for us. Whew! It is hard to say no to him. Feeding me is a sign of love for him, as it was for his mother, who was quite heavy.

I'd like to take off 20 pounds this summer. Is that realistic? 5 pounds in June, maybe 5-8 in July and August, another 5 in September?

I know what works, except for the part about getting a good start and STICKING to it. Oh well, one day at a time. Here we go!
Old 06-12-2011, 02:48 PM   #45  

S/C/G: 252/225/180

Height: 5'9

I haven't read all the post. But, finding a Low Carb diet that works for you is one of the best options for long term diet changes. This approach is highly recommend by my doctor and my girls pediatrician. I eat meat (all types), veggies (the more the better), Greek yogurt, a little fruit, and I have a cheat day. My husband does the same but, adds flour tortillas and other small snacks. We have both lost weight and gained muscle, we use BodPod analysis.
Closed Thread