Old 08-07-2008, 09:10 AM   #16  
Stephanie

S/C/G: 312.0/ticker/212.0

Height: 6'0"

Quote:
Originally Posted by xMeaganx View Post
I think from now on I'll fill out the week when I'm making up the grocery list. Hopefully it will keep me on track.
This is a great idea. On Thursday nights that is what I do. I go through my pantry/fridge/freezer first and plan an entire week of meals. I made a spreadhseet type thing for each day because with me, fiance and child, we all eat different things for all meals but dinner. As I am deciding what I want, I check to see what ingredients I have and write a list of what I don't. This helps tremendously on staying on program and saving money at the store. There are many nights that I work late and I know if I did not plan then it would be alot easier to hit the drive thru on the way home or order a pizza. Each night I get out the next days menu, make lunches, defrost anything that needs to be defrosted for dinner and get everything ready on the counter that I will need--saves alot of time when I get home to cook.

You will see a big difference in what you spend at the store. I buy what's on my list and nothing else. Sometimes I see things that I would like to try and just jot those down for next weeks menu.
steph0320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 01:45 PM   #17  

S/C/G: 220/tickers/127

Height: 5'

Quote:
I edited my menu to show where I eat this foods are requested by luvmyfam.

I work as a nanny so what foods we have is not up to me! The family only has fat free milk, and that is what I have been drinking for the last three years!

I'm going to pick up some nuts tonight! I actually can't stand them but if they boost my points in a good way I'm all for it!

I normally cook lunch/dinner from the WW cookbook. Silly me forgot to pick up meat this week from the supermarket so I was stuck picking meals that didn't need meat. I will be adding a chicken breast to my menu tomorrow as well.

Thank you guys for all your support and help. I'm slowly getting the hang of this planning, and it is totally because of you all. Otherwise I'd be sitting back eating unhealthy to meet my points.
Thanks for breaking down your food list into what you eat at each meal. It helps me, anyway. The biggest thing I saw was that you had no protein with your lunch and dinner those couple days, but the supermarket issue does explain that .

I can see how the nanny position could present a bit of a dilemma as far as what foods are available to you. Is it possible for you to have your own section of the fridge and shelves, or a mini fridge, for the foods you need? Even if not, you're doing a good job with what is there for you.

I saw Jaime suggested peanut butter on your banana. She and a couple others also make a banana wrap, in which they spread some PB on a whole wheat tortilla and roll the banana up in it. I tried it once and it was very yummy!! I can't remember how many points it is. If you like PB or other nut butter, just not whole nuts, then go with what you like.

luvmyfam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 01:47 PM   #18  

Quote:
Originally Posted by xdominic89x View Post
I think a first week is acceptable to a lot of snacky foods. That's what I did. To me, it's an easier way to ease into the lifestyle change. You know the amount you can have of something and your body will be used to it after the first week. My eating habits have changed dramatically after the first week though, I've been eating a lot more whole foods and less processed junk.
I did the same thing, Dominic. I think a lot of people do. For me, I had tried South Beach a few times and COULDN'T have a lot. I got a lot more snacky foods my first couple weeks on WW, but as the time went on, I realized that I filled up better for lower points on healthier foods. I like those little 100 calorie packs of things, but they just don't satisfy my HUNGER.

Old 08-07-2008, 02:09 PM   #19  

Quote:
I love that everyone has such great ideas and support! I'm so glad I decided to post asking for help. For me a big part of my problem is not asking for help when I need it. The peanut butter idea is perfect! I can now eat the celery we have in the fridge! I have it plain but love it w/ pb! I also have tomorrow planned out, I think from now on I'll fill out the week when I'm making up the grocery list. Hopefully it will keep me on track. I'll also be mixing things up from here on! Here's my menu for tomorrow, I think because of all of you I have a good plan!

Breakfast:
Smart start cereal
1 cup ff milk
1 cup grapes
1 cup cherries

After workout snack:
banana

Lunch:
Asparagus risotto
salad w/ 1 tsp olive oil
1/2 cup baby carrots
1 cup ff milk

Snack:
1 cup celery
2 1/2 tbsp. peanut butter

Snack:
string cheese

Dinner:
Italian bean soup
1 cup ff milk
salad w/ olive oil
chicken breast

Snack:
cottage cheese

thank you all again!
Looks like a great plan, Meagan ... Everything is more evened out, which will keep your metabolism up, which is a good thing . Menu planning is SO helpful. When I do it, I keep on track so much better. I've been trying, but I've had a hard time lately. Lots of stress, lots going on, which leads to lots of my not being able to focus on much of anything. I've been unable to focus on the tasks at hand, unable to focus on my WW materials and planning. NOT a good thing.

But I do know from my own past experience, when I have my menus and grocery lists planned out, I do a better job of making our meals here, not having to rush out for last-minute things, and not having to rely on fast food or takeout.

You're doing great, and I'm so happy you decided to ask here. Isn't the support in this group great?