Old 08-03-2008, 03:45 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 236/232/140

Height: 5'6"

Default Will I really have more energy when I lose the weight?

I have lost a few pounds and so far no more energy. I understand that to carry around 50 or more pounds can be difficult, yet I feel so exhausted it seems hard to believe that I will have more energy.
How about those of you that are losing weight. Are you seeing more energy? I so badly want to have more energy and be able to do more things with my kids. Yet the idea of doing so even seems exhausting.
desilu48723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 04:02 PM   #2  
banned

S/C/G: 213/ticker/135

Height: 5'5

It'll come slowly. I've lost 10 lbs and I'm feeling a *little* more energy, but just keep pushing yourself! Everyone works differently, some people get more energy at 15 lbs lost, some at 30 lbs lost. Just keep at it!
sunflowergirl68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 04:04 PM   #3  
Transforming

S/C/G: 228/184/164

Height: 5' 7"

The simple reason why you'll feel exhausted is when your total calorie intake is way below your normal expenditure. I suggest try increase your intake of green vegetables, fresh fruits & proteins and see if that helps. If you can post your diet here then other experts can help & assist you in choosing the right one for you.

Yes...losing weight increases energy levels, I feel more energetic since I lost my 12 pounds so far..I'm just making sure that I take 5 meals a day of not more than 300 calories everytime and yes doing a lot of pumping and its working out for me.
rinku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 05:01 PM   #4  
In love with...THE GYM!!

S/C/G: 243/213/150

Height: 5'8"

I felt loads better after losing just 5. So I can only imagine how much more energy I'll have when I meet goal.
julie99s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 05:41 PM   #5  
GmaTo8

In a word, yes!
Jane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 05:51 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 236/232/140

thanks for the replies. I am on the weight watcher's flex. I generally eat oatmeal and a slice of turkey for breakfast. A turkey or chicken sandwich on high fiber bread and a salad for lunch. A piece of fruit for a snack. and for dinner a chicken breast, maybe 3 oz, a vegetable, and maybe 1/2 cup of baked beans for dinner,.

I know I'm not getting in all my points, but I 'm working on it.

I bike for 11 miles a day also. I am trying to add other exercises and lifting weights too, although that has been slowing going.

I find it is difficult for me to add variety to my diet as I don't like to worry about cooking new recipies and I worry about my points. I have changed out my breakfasts for egg beaters and a 1point english muffin with a slice of ham for breakfast sometimes too.
desilu48723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 05:52 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Height: 5'7"

I felt the most energy at about 2 weeks in. I don't think it was the weight loss per se, but the eating well, sleeping well (made it a priority), and starting to exercise. Sometimes I feel like I'm just as tired as before, but it's not true - I'm just used to the higher energy level now. The increased energy was more noticeable at first because it was new. Now, if I think about it, I can see that I do get more done, and it's easier, than before. A lot more.

I think you may be expecting changes too early, or maybe you're diet is not so healthy or maybe the calories are too low, maybe you're not drinking lots of water, maybe you're not getting good sleep and exercise. Couldn't say from your post.

Also, if there are major emotional energy drains in your life, they will continue to sap your energy.
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 07:59 PM   #8  
Always FatGirlVSFitGirl

S/C/G: 206/180/155

Height: 5'3 1/2"

Your energy level will increase with healthy living and the weight loss that goes along with it.

Make sure you are getting enough sleep, eating enough (get those points in! ) and try not to overdo your exercise, if you OD now you may give up on the exercise, and make sure you drink your water, dehydration will also make you feel tired.

best of luck

Last edited by kelijpa; 08-03-2008 at 07:59 PM.
kelijpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 08:37 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 180/ticker/129 or so =)

Height: 5'6.5"

A long time ago (when the mantra was "fat is bad"), I used to diet by restricting calories while eating primarily processed carbs (e.g. white toast for breakfast, pasta for lunch etc). I would crash and my energy level was zilch.

Now I eat almost no processed carbs and I am careful about my whole grains (but not eating low carb) and I make sure I eat plenty of healthy fats. I feel worlds better and have plenty of energy.

Anyway, my point is that you have to be more careful about what you chose to eat when you are restricting calories if you want to maintain your energy level.

After you've lost some weight, you should feel more energized and regular exercise helps a lot too!
yoyoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 09:32 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 262/ See Ticker / 150

Height: 5' 4"

Yes you will. I have found that around 30 lbs I started noticing that I could do more things and actually felt like walking or moving stuff around. Before I couldn't hardly make myself clean the house.

I have noticed that if I don't get all of my water in (minimum of 60 oz a day) that I feel draggy.
Chey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 10:33 PM   #11  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

One thing to really consider though, is just like weight loss, your energy will possibly change gradually enough that you won't immediately see it. Just as you look pretty much the same today as you did yesterday when you looked in the mirror, you're energy level will also be pretty much the same.

Journaling helps. Make a list of what you would like to be able to do (in specific terms). Make sure your goals are specific enough for you to be able to see the changes when you compare them.

For example, I've experienced some miraculous changes in my energy and stamina, but I almost didn't notice them because they occurred so gradually. When I first had to go onto disability, I could barely wash my hair in the shower, and had to use a shower chair. I used a 2 in 1 shampoo and conditioner, so I'd only have to later and rinse once. Among many other things, I can now shower like a normal person without pain. That's a miracle, but I can't tell you when all the little changes that made the big changes occur. When was the first time I washed my hair with little or no pain? I'm not sure. When did I first lather, rinse and repeat? Decide to go back to two products for shampoo and conditioner?

I don't know, because I wasn't paying attention. It just struck me one day how much more I was able to do. I was able to look back at some old journal logs and see, but mostly I can only guess.

If you want to KNOW then keep track and you'll be surprised at the progress you can see and how quickly, when you rely on "noticing" it may take a lot longer to notice.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 09:39 AM   #12  
live. love. travel.

S/C/G: 298/168/145

Height: 5'4"

I think this is a loaded question. Some people assume that if you just lose weight, you will have more energy. Think about it, though: when you're sick with the flu, you lose weight and I'm willing to bet you don't have more energy.

Instead of thinking only about calories and points, think of the value of those calories in relation to macronutrients. If you are not getting enough whole grains, vegetables and protein along with healthy fats (think olive oil, almonds, avocado), you won't be feeling as great as if you were.

Also think about your activity level. Exercise stimulates various brain chemicals, which may leave you feeling happier and more relaxed than you were before you worked out. You'll also look better and feel better when you exercise regularly, which can boost your confidence and improve your self-esteem. Exercise even reduces feelings of depression and anxiety. Regular exercise can also help you fall asleep faster and deepen your sleep. Having an active lifestyle and getting enough sleep at night will charge up your waking hours with a greater energy level.

You can see I stressed protein above--protein goes hand in hand with exercise. Eating protein immediately after exercise helps to repair your muscles, creating a stronger and healthier you!

There are many ways to create energy in your life and I'm sure you'll figure out what works for you soon enough.

Last edited by sunshower; 08-04-2008 at 09:39 AM.
sunshower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 09:46 AM   #13  
ONEderland here I come!

S/C/G: 286/210/200 (next goal)

Height: 5'2.75"

in a word yes.

be patient.

one day you'll notice it.

took me a long time

i used to weigh 286 pounds
i'm about 215 now and i move daily
at 286 it was all i could do to breathe.

after about 40 pounds it was easier to move....

it will happen. be patient.
ladybugnessa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 10:04 AM   #14  

S/C/G: 319/238/160

Height: 5' 6"

I know I feel so much better. But as kaplods pointed out...it was gradual changes. I also feel adding exercise improves your energy level.

Little changes I noticed along the way...One day (at about 10 or 15 pounds lost) I could walk to the car AND carry a couple bags of groceries without being winded. Then I began to notice I was sitting around less. I would rather be DOING something, than sitting in front of the tv or computer. Then the weather got nice...I am always outside, and have to force myself to go inside to make supper. I now get up on Saturday morning and clean the house, (moving all the furniture when I vacuum, taking everything off all the shelves and dusting everything, take pictures off the walls and dust behing them...REALLY cleaning) it used to take me all day just to give the rooms a quick glossing over with the vacuum and dust rag.

I think as long as you are eating enough and eating clean healthy foods, YES your energy will increase.
KateB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 10:47 AM   #15  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaplods View Post
One thing to really consider though, is just like weight loss, your energy will possibly change gradually enough that you won't immediately see it. . . . For example, I've experienced some miraculous changes in my energy and stamina, but I almost didn't notice them because they occurred so gradually.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KateB View Post
Little changes I noticed along the way...One day (at about 10 or 15 pounds lost) I could walk to the car AND carry a couple bags of groceries without being winded. Then I began to notice I was sitting around less. I would rather be DOING something, than sitting in front of the tv or computer. Then the weather got nice...I am always outside, and have to force myself to go inside to make supper. I now get up on Saturday morning and clean the house, (moving all the furniture when I vacuum, taking everything off all the shelves and dusting everything, take pictures off the walls and dust behing them...REALLY cleaning) it used to take me all day just to give the rooms a quick glossing over with the vacuum and dust rag.
You guys are right. You think you don't have any more energy, maybe feel a little discouraged about that, and then one day, you realize all the things you're doing that you didn't used to do.

I used to try to, say, move all things from one room to another in one trip, even if it was inconvenient or awkward. Now I don't give it a second thought, I really don't care if I make 5 trips between rooms. I just get up and go as needed.
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote