Old 09-12-2009, 03:16 PM   #46  

S/C/G: 229/see ticker/160

Height: 5'0"

This is a great thread idea!

First of all, I'd like to say something to those who preface their lists with comments about "selfish reasons". The reasons you've listed aren't selfish at all. When you get right down to it, you're not only doing this for yourself, but many of you are doing it for a spouse, kids, extended family, significant others and friends. In addition, you're doing it for your boss, co-workers, church, school, community, etc. (I'd also like to think that by entering into a contract with MRC, I'm doing my little bit to stimulate the economy!) Be proud of what you're accomplishing through this lifestyle change!

Okay, here we go. There's no particular order to these. To me, they're all equally important.

* I want to be as healthy as I can be. There's a long line of cancer on both sides of my family, so I'd either like to kick its butt before it kicks mine, or at least be strong enough to put up a good battle!

* I'm a firm believer that no one should have to grow old alone and I knew that by not taking action now, that's exactly what the future would hold for me. It's still no guarantee that, as I gain momentum toward 50, I'll be able to find someone for me, but at least I'll know I was worth a look or two to someone who would at least contemplate sitting next to me in a rocking chair on the front porch!

* I'm the administrative assistant for a city department head and in my head, I'd feel more 'professional' if I felt better about myself and the way I look.

* The thought of shopping in the misses department thrills me to no end!

* At around 8 years of age, something happened to me that probably changed my entire being. I began to gain weight shortly thereafter and have been overweight for the rest of my life. The person responsible for this is now gone (one demon down!), I've been able to talk about it openly with people I feel very close to (second demon destroyed!) and have decided that with this weight loss, I'll be able to fully come to terms with the entire incident, hence annihilating that third and final demon. (There are a few 'cobwebs' I need to knock down in the recesses of my brain as well and I'm working on that, too!)

Thanks for letting me share!
Phat not Fat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 06:40 PM   #47  

S/C/G: 256/217.5/150

Height: 5' 2"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phat not Fat View Post

First of all, I'd like to say something to those who preface their lists with comments about "selfish reasons". The reasons you've listed aren't selfish at all. When you get right down to it, you're not only doing this for yourself, but many of you are doing it for a spouse, kids, extended family, significant others and friends. In addition, you're doing it for your boss, co-workers, church, school, community, etc. (I'd also like to think that by entering into a contract with MRC, I'm doing my little bit to stimulate the economy!) Be proud of what you're accomplishing through this lifestyle change!

Okay, here we go. There's no particular order to these. To me, they're all equally important.

* I want to be as healthy as I can be. There's a long line of cancer on both sides of my family, so I'd either like to kick its butt before it kicks mine, or at least be strong enough to put up a good battle!

* I'm a firm believer that no one should have to grow old alone and I knew that by not taking action now, that's exactly what the future would hold for me. It's still no guarantee that, as I gain momentum toward 50, I'll be able to find someone for me, but at least I'll know I was worth a look or two to someone who would at least contemplate sitting next to me in a rocking chair on the front porch!

* I'm the administrative assistant for a city department head and in my head, I'd feel more 'professional' if I felt better about myself and the way I look.

* At around 8 years of age, something happened to me that probably changed my entire being. I began to gain weight shortly thereafter and have been overweight for the rest of my life. The person responsible for this is now gone (one demon down!), I've been able to talk about it openly with people I feel very close to (second demon destroyed!) and have decided that with this weight loss, I'll be able to fully come to terms with the entire incident, hence annihilating that third and final demon. (There are a few 'cobwebs' I need to knock down in the recesses of my brain as well and I'm working on that, too!)

PNF....What a wonderful post. I am so glad that you feel like you can share some very personal feelings here....that's what makes this site so special. We do not judge here....we support and are great listeners. Sometimes putting it down on paper helps so much.

You have great reasons and I have faith in you in following through with each and everyone. You hang in there.....you have had so much to deal with in your life and this is a great step for you. Share when you need to...you will be just fine.

You have a nice weekend now.
Fifties Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 08:42 PM   #48  
Leah

S/C/G: 200/196/155

Height: 5'8"

PnF, i agree, that was very well-said and very touching. HUGE INTERNET HUG!!!! and bravo for you for taking this step. whee!
leahruthie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 02:12 PM   #49  

Quote:
PNF....What a wonderful post. I am so glad that you feel like you can share some very personal feelings here....that's what makes this site so special. We do not judge here....we support and are great listeners. Sometimes putting it down on paper helps so much.

You have great reasons and I have faith in you in following through with each and everyone. You hang in there.....you have had so much to deal with in your life and this is a great step for you. Share when you need to...you will be just fine.
Quote:
PnF, i agree, that was very well-said and very touching. HUGE INTERNET HUG!!!! and bravo for you for taking this step. whee!
Thank you, ladies. As FL mentioned, it helps a great deal putting things to paper (or screen, as the case may be!).

I'd also like you all to know that I added my list of reasons not so much for recognition by others, but more as 'ownership' for what I've allowed to happen to myself. I'm just as responsible for what I do to myself as those who either victimized me or contributed to the failing of relationships in my life. I feel that by making those reasons known to others, that I'm keeping myself in check...it's a pledge, of sorts, that I make to do the best I can in making my emotional, psychological and physical self better.

(I know, I know...again, I've rambled. Hope it all made sense!)

-- JJ
Old 09-13-2009, 03:24 PM   #50  

Quote:
Thank you, ladies. As FL mentioned, it helps a great deal putting things to paper (or screen, as the case may be!).

I'd also like you all to know that I added my list of reasons not so much for recognition by others, but more as 'ownership' for what I've allowed to happen to myself. I'm just as responsible for what I do to myself as those who either victimized me or contributed to the failing of relationships in my life. I feel that by making those reasons known to others, that I'm keeping myself in check...it's a pledge, of sorts, that I make to do the best I can in making my emotional, psychological and physical self better.

(I know, I know...again, I've rambled. Hope it all made sense!)

-- JJ
JJ....yes you do make sense. But don't be so hard on yourself....what happened to you as a child, is not your fault. You do have to accept that belief before you can move on. And you are right, writing things down is a way to heal. I do believe in journaling and that is the best place you can be honest with yourself. I am so glad you are here among many, many friends. It is a beautiful day...go out and enjoy it.
Old 09-13-2009, 06:56 PM   #51  

S/C/G: 206/169/130

Height: 5'2"

Quote:

I am so touched about your story. You are a strong couragous woman to take on this issue. I am proud of you. I agree with the thought that no one should grow old alone. While we are all incredible competant people, humans are social creatures and thrive with the company of others. We have an inate desire to share our lives with someone special. I am sure you will find someone worthy of sitting in the rocking chair beside you, far before you are in need of a rocker!
Lori123321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 11:51 PM   #52  

Quote:
JJ....yes you do make sense. But don't be so hard on yourself....what happened to you as a child, is not your fault. You do have to accept that belief before you can move on. And you are right, writing things down is a way to heal. I do believe in journaling and that is the best place you can be honest with yourself. I am so glad you are here among many, many friends. It is a beautiful day...go out and enjoy it.

FL, I'm not saying what happened to me at age 8 was my fault...not at all. What I meant to convey was that there comes a point when I have to take a bit of responsibility for what I allowed to happen to my body as a result of those incidents. See? I just knew I didn't make sense! : )

Lori, thanks for the kind words.

Thanks to both of you for the 'electronic hugs'! Much needed an appreciated!

-- JJ
Old 09-14-2009, 11:23 PM   #53  

Quote:

FL, I'm not saying what happened to me at age 8 was my fault...not at all. What I meant to convey was that there comes a point when I have to take a bit of responsibility for what I allowed to happen to my body as a result of those incidents. See? I just knew I didn't make sense! : )

Lori, thanks for the kind words.

Thanks to both of you for the 'electronic hugs'! Much needed an appreciated!

-- JJ
JJ...that is great to know....we all have to take responsibility for what we have done to our bodies....and I think much of the weight is emotional eating. I know that's what I have done so many times. It's not easy trying to break the habit. I'm hoping the classes I signed up for next month will help.
Old 09-29-2009, 02:28 PM   #54  

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by daizy hotrocks View Post
*For my life... I imagine myslef getting married, having kids, being a mom, being a success and its all while I am healthy and in shape. I want the outside to match the inside.
*My health, heart disease is on my father's side, my cholesterol was higher than it should be at 28 and watching my grandma go through cancer has made me want to be healthy all my life.
*My relationship-I met my bf at 185 lbs and lost 20 on my own before joining MRC. He hasen't had a 'hot girlfriend' and thats not fair to me or him. I want him to want me 100% all the time.
*I saved all my 'skinny' clothes and I want the option to wear all of it again, even if its out of style.
*I don't want to look at a catalog or go shopping and say 'I could wear that if only...' EVER again.
*I want to show those I love that its possible. So many of my family members and friends are unhealthy and if I can do it, so can they!!!
Just wanted to add one to my list:

* I am tired of sitting down and having to pull my pants over the belly bulge... I wear low cut pants and standing is fine but when I sit the bulge folds over the top of the pants and i always have to readjust and but the belly where it belongs, so tired of that so bye bye belly bulge!!!
daizy hotrocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 07:10 PM   #55  

S/C/G: 176/163/135

Height: 5'6"

1. To keep up with my fit husband and stepdaughter - who now always have to wait for me.
2. To be able to "enjoy" being pregnant and hopefully be one of those cute pregnant women.
3. To hopefully fend of diabetes which runs in all generations of my family.
missymo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 07:43 PM   #56  

S/C/G: 170/148/140

Height: 5'6"

Default Why I want to lose

1. Basic Health
2. Self-esteem--not only in how I look but in that I complete this!
3. Honestly---I'm hoping that if I go without some things for awhile and learn to get my eating under control I can TRULY ENJOY going back to some of the goodies and enjoy treats from time to time guilt-free....just not so out of control with it.
porchmom84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 03:07 PM   #57  

S/C/G: 212/179/140

Height: 5'2

Wow I feel like crying everyone has so many reasons so close to my heart and it is so comforting knowing others have the same thoughts, feeling, desires, and personal heartbreaks as I do!

1) I want to finally be in control of my weight issues that have yo-yo'd over the last 23 yrs of my life.

2) Love myself enough to stop letting toxic men into my life.

3) Be happy naked, with lights on, flourescent even!
taytay is offline   Reply With Quote