Old 03-05-2012, 06:39 AM   #1  
New Vegetarian-ish

S/C/G: 230/220/190

Height: 5'10"

Default Hello fellas

Hey guys. I'm new here.

My name is Drew. I'm 23. I currently live in Northern Wisconsin but circumstances beyond my control may force me to move in with family in the Atlanta area. This doesn't make me happy.

More info about me: I currently weigh 223 pounds. For my height (5'10") that doesn't sound like too much extra, but it is. I should be kind of a lanky dude, but instead I'm pretty chubby. I've got quite a gut and even those awful man-boobs that I do my best to hide.

I started my current diet at 230lbs. Right now, I'm a new vegetarian. This is a big deal for me because I usually eat a LOT of red meat. I also drink too much soda. It's hard for me to cut back on though, because the way it makes me feel is very similar to an orgasm. I know that sounds weird, but I feel a rush of pleasure and happiness when I drink it. I can even feel my eyelids flutter. Also, I'm terribly addicted to caffeine. I get the shakes and terrible headaches without it.

I hope to get down to 190lbs. I think I should actually drop to 175lbs and put on 15lbs of muscle, but one step at a time.

Anyway, I'm excited to be part of the community! I hope something about my efforts can help you, as I'm sure hearing of yours will help me.

Last edited by boxboy; 03-05-2012 at 10:45 PM.
boxboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 07:11 AM   #2  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Drew (boxboy) - Always good to have another man around 3FC. You'll find a bunch of us spread about the site.

It's great that you're off and running on your weight loss journey. Have you already decided on your food plan and your exercise plan?
BillBlueEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 07:29 AM   #3  
New Vegetarian-ish

I haven't decided on an exercise plan. There's no gym nearby for me to use and I can't afford any equipment of my own.

As for the diet, I've changed from eating WAY too much red meat to a vegetarian diet. Even if I'm only losing a little weigh right now, I certainly feel healthier.

I was actually shown this site by my ex. I like the idea of it quite a bit but was worried there wouldn't be many guys here. Glad to see I was wrong.
Old 03-05-2012, 10:52 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 455/434.5/225

Height: 6'3''

Welcome! Yes there are plenty of men here...i wish you the best in your weightloss goals...
TheRightWeigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 09:04 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 285/200/200

Height: 6' 2"

From Wisconsin and a newly minted vegetarian? Hmmmm... I'll bet you like cheese! I have another overweight vegetarian friend from Wisconsin. It's the cheese!

Anyway, you don't need a gym or equipment. Just use your body. Get started by walking for about 30-45 minutes, 6 days a week. Add in squats, push up, leg lifts, etc. as you go forward.

Exercise is critical to your long term success.
Wimpster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 02:58 PM   #6  
New Vegetarian-ish

Well, like I said, it's pretty shitty out right now around here. I work at Walmart and I end up walking at least two miles every day while doing my work. Does that count?

Oh and as far as cheese, yeah. I love it. I don't know if I really eat a ton of it though. I think maybe I do eat a little more now that I'm eating veggie. Is it really that bad for you?

Last edited by boxboy; 03-06-2012 at 02:59 PM.
Old 03-06-2012, 03:37 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 338/338/175

Height: 5' 9"

I know what you mean about the soda. I actually did very good once, and went about a year without drinking it. Then one day I had a Pepsi and totally relapsed. It truly is addictive and it's the closest feeling to shooting up that I have ever experienced (from what I understand anyway).
anmiller07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 03:39 PM   #8  
New Vegetarian-ish

I really can't get away from soda. I am literally addicted to the caffeine and it just makes me feel sooo good.
Old 03-06-2012, 05:16 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 455/434.5/225

Height: 6'3''

LOL @ shooting up...

I hope drug addicts are getting way more of a trip considering the risk and consequences! But I do love me an ice cold Pepsi Cola...tickles my nose and throat JUST right...
TheRightWeigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 09:09 AM   #10  

I'm so addicted to Pepsi it doesnt even have to be cold. It can room temperature, a little warm even...burns just the same.
Old 03-07-2012, 11:35 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 285/200/200

Height: 6' 2"

Boxboy - walking 2 miles at work is good, but it doesn't count. Get out and walk for 30-45 minutes before or after work every day. Increase your speed over time to get additional cardio.

I don't want to sound too preachy guys, but the sodas have to go. And diet sodas are bad too, if not worse. Just go cold turkey immediately, no excuses. Switch to water and unsweet ice tea. You can't lose weight drinking sodas...period!
Wimpster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 11:42 AM   #12  

A little part of me just died....but you're right. We've turned this thread into something bad. Something very, vary bad...lol.

I can echo the walking advice, and walking happens to be something I enjoy, especially in my neighborhood since we have many parks. I understand the area you live in might not be the same way, but even when I was visiting family (in a boring part of the south) I just put my iPod on and literally walked around the perimeter of the house for an hour.
Old 03-07-2012, 01:12 PM   #13  

S/C/G: HW 420 324.6/Ticker/250

Height: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wimpster View Post
Boxboy - walking 2 miles at work is good, but it doesn't count. Get out and walk for 30-45 minutes before or after work every day. Increase your speed over time to get additional cardio.

I don't want to sound too preachy guys, but the sodas have to go. And diet sodas are bad too, if not worse. Just go cold turkey immediately, no excuses. Switch to water and unsweet ice tea. You can't lose weight drinking sodas...period!
Seriously? I do agree that you need to stop immediately, but to say you can't lose weight while drinking an occasional soda isn't true. We do need to keep our advice as factual as we possibly can.
LGMongoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 07:42 PM   #14  
New Vegetarian-ish

I haven't dropped my soda consumption and just with the switch to vegetarianism, I've lost seven pounds in as many days. I usually drink 3-4 cans of soda a day. If I can drop that to one, I can cut out a bunch of calories, still get my caffeine fix and lose even more weight. Hopefully.
Old 03-09-2012, 05:50 PM   #15  
Embracing the suck

S/C/G: 300/234/abs

Height: 6'9"

In moderation there is nothing wrong with diet soda.

I'm also going to argue that there is nothing inherently healthy about eating a vegetarian diet or unhealthy about consuming red meat.

Fat loss or gain is about calories.

As for exercise - Walmart sells some really inexpensive weight sets. That plus a pull up bar and some resistance bands (because I doubt you can do a pull up right now) and you'll be in business.

Add in 30-45 minutes of brisk walking a day and with the right diet the weight will fly off and you'll build some muscle in the process.
JohnP is offline   Reply With Quote