Old 08-30-2001, 06:58 AM   #1  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Default The Wagon, Thurs/Fri, Aug 30-31

Good LC Morning! Coffee is perking!

Last edited by Ruthxxx; 08-31-2001 at 08:38 AM.
Old 08-30-2001, 11:17 AM   #2  
Senior Chicky

Good Morning!

Well, I resisted the nose dive into the chips and salsa last night~~whew! Feel better for it this morning! And I threw out the leftover chips just in case!

I keep forgetting to pick up another CAD book. The more I realize that I've been abusing my RM, the more I also realize there's so much that I've forgotten about the detail of the plan. It's on my Sams list for this weekend. Maybe I won't give this one to a new LC recruit before I do some refreshing!

Does anyone remember.....is there a recommended amount of carbs for your reward meal? I feel silly even asking!

Not feeling too hungry today which is a good thing but sure would love to have a diet pepsi! Water, water, water!

I can do this!

Have a great one!
Old 08-30-2001, 09:05 PM   #3  

Default Reward meal? Oh. Must be Hellers' diet.

Hi!

I got a copy of the Heller's Carb Addict Diet at Barnes & Noble on the clearance rack for $4.97 last week. I bought it for the recipes. I don't understand the point of adding a reward meal if it takes you out of ketosis (sp?). Dr. Atkins is really kinda snotty in his book when he refers to that plan. But, heck, if it's working for you, MamaJ, Go for it! I know personally that if I reward myself with high-carb foods every day I'll start eating more often than just during that reward meal. My cravings will go haywire. I reserve my "indulgences" for special occasions or very special meals. (At least that's what I'm trying to do. )

Stayed OP today until after dinner. We got a Carvel ice cream cake for Shane birthday today (celebrated with the kids' party last Saturday). He was very tired and moody tonight (First Grade is **** ). When I said no thank you to the cake, he started to cry and said that he really wanted me to eat some birthday cake with him. Ok. I gave in. I had a small piece with him. There's not much I won't do to see my kids smile.

Still feel pretty good, though. Stayed OP (kinda strick actually) today and got in a 20 minute "mall" walk (a.k.a., window shopping) during lunch.

Gotta go. Am really tired today. Must be this cool front. All I want to do is curl up under the covers and sleep.

Talk to you all tomorrow.

Old 08-30-2001, 09:52 PM   #4  

Default Ketosis

MamaJ... I'm on the CAD, and loving it. There's no limit to the carbs at the "reward meal" (hate that name... bad psychology, IMO) however, if you gain weight or maintain while on program they suggest that you eat salad first. My guess is that it cuts the amount of carbs you can physically eat.

JD, as for ketosis... you're right, you don't go into ketosis on CAD. For me, that's a good thing - my doc has suggested I not do so at this point in time (I was an Optifast groupie long before Oprah and it wreaked havoc on my body - your mileage may vary).

CAD specifically aims at carb addiction, and the insulin/serartonin cycle. :::: It's working GREAT for me. My hunger and cravings are minimal, and to be honest, I'm happy to feel hungry every once in a while. It reminds me what I'm doing!!

Again - your mileage may vary, and I believe all bodies are different. Go with what works for you!

Karen
OP - 18 days
10 lbs. gone! (next weigh-in 9/1/01)
Old 08-31-2001, 06:10 AM   #5  

Angry

Good Morning!

Karen -- I hope you don't think I was criticizing CAD. Far from it. I'm a firm believer in doing what works for you and the heck with what others say (with, mabe, the exception of your doctor).

I tried CAD about 1-1/2 years ago and found those "reward" dinners just seemed to trigger binge eating in me. I can't handle refined carbs (i.e., sugars, flours, sweets, etc.) yet. Emphasis on YET. I'll get there eventually. For now, Atkins is really working for me. But that's me -- if CAD is working for you and MamJ, all I can say is Yippee! Best of luck to you both!

This morning's breakfast is going to be a trial. No eggs or cheese in the house (have to grocery shop tonight). No cafeteria at work. However, I do pass several Dunkin' Donuts on the way to work! (Satan (a.k.a., donuts, mufins, bagels, etc.) get away from me!) Maybe I'll see if McDonald's still serves scrambled eggs and bacon.

Gotta go. Working 1/2 day today in favor of the long holiday weekend.

Old 08-31-2001, 06:46 AM   #6  
Trying to find my way.

S/C/G: 244/220/145

Height: 5'2''

Couldnot pop in yesterday but I did not do that great. I did not count my carbs but it was over. I am starting to TOM and work is really busy so i am having cravings I NEED DUCT TAPE!!!! HELP!!!
Old 08-31-2001, 09:13 AM   #7  

Hello everyone...

Nasus40- I swear we are all on TOM at the same time. How weird. I am TOM right now, but almost done. The cravings during this are horrible, I know. Any weight you may have gained, is most likely TOM's water retention problem. hehe. FIRE TOM!!!!

MamaJ and Casey... What is CAD? I have never heard of it before. I heard it mentioned on a different board. Hmmmm... "Carbs Are Dangerous"? Ummm... "Carb Addiction Destroyers"? How are you doing on it? Give us the scoop! Casey (Karen), good luck at your weigh-in Saturday. Let us know how that goes! I have vowed to stay off the scale until next Wednesday. I am going to try to weigh only weekly from now on.... instead of hourly!

jdoneil- You should try the "Danish" recipe I posted for breakfast. It is a couple threads down under "WOW, you have to try this". It is DEE-LISH! And it is VERY quick! It is cooked in the microwave for a measly 4 carbs! Try it.

Ruthxxx- Suuuure, those x's are for kisses. Uhh-huh....
Old 08-31-2001, 09:29 AM   #8  

Default JD

Jd... I didn't see it as criticism, just as questioning! Tone and inflection are so gosh darn hard in this arena! Since I'm a new convert, I may have come off sounding defensive. I certainly didn't want to do that!! I'm sorry if I did!

It's amazing to me how different bodies respond differently to different input. It's why the scientific establishment amazes me with some of their "one size - fits all" mentality". Yeesh.

Kirei - you were close!! lol It is the Carbohydrate Addict's Diet by the Hellers. So far... so good!!

Karen
OP - 19 days
10 lbs gone! (next weigh in 9/1/01)
Old 08-31-2001, 09:40 AM   #9  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Casey, just spotted your signature. Thanks, I needed a morning chuckle.
Old 08-31-2001, 10:06 AM   #10  

Oh just come and slap me! I HAVE the darn CAD book. I just didn't know it was reffered to as CAD. I am a little slow girls... yes, I am a natural blonde died red. My husband bought me the book after I saw it on Oprah a couple years ago, but I never read it. LOL.
Old 08-31-2001, 11:23 AM   #11  
Senior Chicky

Default Friday~~

Hey fellow Wagoneers!

Sue~~Here let me push your hiney down on the seat, somebody tape her in! Better?

Donuts???? Oh ! How about your local quick stop store---think cheese, pork rinds, uh, uh, beef jerky sticks! NOT THE DONUTS !!

Love the varying CAD terms~~expecially, Carbs Are Dangerous!

Thanks for the replies....the unlimited is what I recalled as long as consumed within the 60 minute period, but as I said, it's been way too long since I've had the book.

I eat a salad before or with each meal (not breakfast-lol). I do it moreso for the full feeling of the "good" stuff and help control my portions at meals.

I don't care for the term Reward Meal either as mentally it sounds like a free for all reward for being OP during the day!
CarolK used to call it her Happy Meal! Fortunately I'm not as tempted by sweets as I am the baked potato or my beloved chips and salsa! So, I plan (or try to) a "good" carb of choice. Even with that I TRY to be concious of the calories, by baking/grilling meats, eating more chicken, turkey, fish than beef, etc..

I've not updated my bio yet, so, those who are not familiar with my "past"....I first become familiar with Low Carb in 1992. Thanks to a high stress job it seemed the only thing I could keep on my stomach was mashed potatoes! As I was shoveling some into my mouth my boss came in with his copy of CAD and some explanations. Long story short, I got the CAD book, got rid of the boss (& alot of stress) and in less than three months dropped to my goal weight with little pain. I maintained for little over six years by following CAD. Obviously I fell of the LC wagon for varying reasons and put on about 50 lbs. So, for my lifestyle I KNOW that CAD works for me and is such a life time woe.

It wasn't until finding this wonderful 3fc sight Feb of last year that I became aware of so many other great LC plans available. But since I followed CAD for so long it fits comfortably into our lifestyle. My boys eat mainly CAD and don't even realize it!

I'm fighting the munchies a bit this morning but grabbed some leftover pork and another glass of water. I think it's the rain. We've had it all week and I've stuck pretty close to the house, so, feeling a bit restless cause I'm not hungry.

Did anyone else see the Menopause/LC question posted by tutu?
I was hoping someone who had/is experiencing the "M" word with LC might offer more of the benefits.

I'll check back in later! Have a great OP day!

J

Last edited by MamaJ; 08-31-2001 at 12:00 PM.
Old 08-31-2001, 02:17 PM   #12  

Default Ruth...

LOL... well, you didn't think you were the only one that could boast a triple x, did you?

The funny thing is that some weekends it describes me to a T. While playing the campfollower years ago with a British Rev War reenactment group, I fell head over heels with one of the Privates. That would be dh. The rest continues to be history. Our group occaisionally makes it up your way - we've done events at St. John sur Richieulu, Toronto, Quebec and Montreal. ::giggle::: I love doing Canadian events because there we are the good guys!

For those unaware of the role of the campfollower... we um... boosted the MORALE of the troops, yeah, THAT's it!!

Just an aside... Ruth, thanks for everything that you do here. This is truly a wonderful, safe place to post.

Karen
OP - 19 days
10 lbs gone (next weigh in 9/1/01)
Old 08-31-2001, 06:46 PM   #13  

Default I'm BACK!

Hi everyone!
Sorry I haven't been around lately.
Things have been busy but very good for me. I'm seeing TOM right now too (Thanks for the new term Nasus!) and I must admit, my cravings are worse but not unmanagable! I have been OP perfectly for about 10 days now. I KNOW I've lost because even bloated, my pants are looser in the lovely "apron" area.
Hey, I found a new snack thats AWESOME While I was at Costco (believe it or not) a lady was giving out samples of sun dried tomatoes on a cracker spread with cream cheese. I LOVED it. So I came home and figured out I can have 3 big thin whole wheat crackers (I use Breton brand) a little cream cheese and those sun dried tomatoes (they are packed in some kind of Italian spices and oil) and it comes to only about 10 carbs!! It's filling and too yummy to be that low. I actually ate that for lunch today!

Debkay- awile ago you posted about trying something new. How about "Permanent Results w/o Permanent Dieting" by Gary Heavin. Yes, It's the official "Curves for Women" diet book but it sounds very similar to a lot of what I've been reading on here. It's very informative, small and a quick read.

Jdoneil- I'm not completely familiar with the CAD but my diet (see above) also allows a "reward" meal after the first two weeks. It's called a free hour. This is so if you have a party or special event (dinner with hubby? ) you can eat w/o guilt. He (Gary heavin) did sat though that after awhile low carbing you probably won't "need" the really high carb stuff you were used to.
BTW: I have those breakfast trials too before grocery shopping day. I drink a shake (I drink a "Curves" protein shake but find one you like) I also have one when I'm sick of eggs!

I really like that we can all talk about our different plans and not feel pressured or put down.
This place ROCKS!
Old 08-31-2001, 07:24 PM   #14  
Trying to find my way.

S/C/G: 244/220/145

Height: 5'2''

I am holding on but bearly, thanks for the tape!!! I was stressed at work and started shoving cracers with creamcheese in but finally stoped, did not so to much damage.

MammaJ the RM in cad does say unlimited but from CALP it says to balance the starch with protien and veges. I went crazy with trying to cut back and can not do it i was stuffing while watching the clock talk about a free for all!!! you did not stand in my way during the 60 min!!!

Mum those sound good. glad to see you back, I know at times it is hard but if you keep on lurking then it also helps motivatw you. I often pop in and peek just to keep on going.

Keiri I still do hourly!!! I can not stay away but you are doing really great.

Lets Keep up the great work over the weekend. I have a hectic schedule for the weekend so keep me in mind!!!
Old 08-31-2001, 11:27 PM   #15  

SUE!!!!! WAY TO GO! I never noticed your poundage loss before! 5 smiley's!!!!!!!!!! WOW! See, everybody should a smile for every 10 pounds lost. It is a real eyecatcher, and keeps you motivated.

Like I said, WAY TO GO! I can't wait til mine has 5 smiles!Then I will almost be to goal!