Old 08-16-2001, 06:42 AM   #1  

Arrow Daily, Thursday 8/16

coffee?

Morning! Rise and Shine! or if you prefer...go back to bed and pull the covers over your head!

Nice and cool out this morning...looks like the beginning of a beautiful day!

Jiff update: As of last night, Jiff will be transfered to another hospital for a consult concerning the gastrointestinal by-pass. She will be having the newer procedure...the one where they use an adjustable ring. It is not as invasive as the other surgeries. She will then be sent home,perhaps on Friday to Mom's house complete with an oxygen tank and be put on an 800 calorie diet for two weeks. They want her to lose as much fluid as she can before they operate.

Susan thanks for asking about her! I will try to use Jiff's words..."She has lost the battle with weight loss and has no choice but to have this surgery. She knows that she is in for a rough ride but it can not be any rougher than what she is going thru now. Jiff is looking forward to getting her life back.

So today I will try to get to Mom's house and pick up Jiff's laundry and run it over to her before she is transferred, Mom keeps forgetting to take it to her. I am not sure that I will see her today at the second hospital since the boys have to be here and there and Dh can not drive until tomorrow...Remember my mother the car?
That's ME!

have a good one chickies...drink your water!
peach

Last edited by peach pit; 08-16-2001 at 07:06 AM.
Old 08-16-2001, 07:40 AM   #2  

Default G' Morning!

Thursday, the end's in sight! Hurray!

It is beautiful here, too, I will make sure to get out a lunchtime and see the day! I have been trying to stay out in the evening, too. Just to try to spend sometime outdoors-after being cooped up all day. Although you didn't hear me complaining when it was 98 degrees!

Today should be pretty good. Nothing scheduled, just open time for paperwork and a brief meeting. A good day to straighten up the desk, and get ahead for once! There is a lot of construction going on in the hospital, and there is dust and dirt everywhere- I swear, I am wiping off papers with paper towels, because the debris is soo bad! This will go on for a few months more, like building a house, it always takes longer than planned!

Not much else. After a hectic weekend last weekend, we are planning to just be home and putter around. I was away the weekend before and have some catch-up cleaning to do.

Off to go post menus- this is really helping me, I lost 3 lbs of the weight I've gained!

have a great day- dottie
Old 08-16-2001, 07:52 AM   #3  
It's MY Life

Morning to All! We got RAIN last night!! It hasn't rained for so long it was wonderful to listen to while snuggling under the covers. It is still cool and dreary this a.m. DS leaves in a few for his LAST 2 a day practice this season. They have Fri. thru Sun. off and then school and regular practices start on Monday. Talked to the mom of the boy who collapsed at practice the other day. He has/had acute pericarditis (I KNOW that is not spelled right) and acute gastritis. Inflammation of the chest lining and digestive lining--all brought on by dehydration. He had gone from 170lbs. on Mon. to 159 on Friday and it was ALL water!!!! It was a very serious situation, but he is doing well now and has one more echocardiogram before he gets the doctor's (but NOT the mom's) okay for football. DS and I are running errands and then going to "Rush Hour 2" this afternoon as our one last fling before school starts. We have decided to treat SH, I mean DH to a surprise 40th birthday party on Saturday night. About 5 couples and 3 friends for my son to "play" with. I DID get my exercise video in yesterday and will try to do it again today.

Peach, thanks for asking about my son's friend. would your little guy like to come worm hunting here today--there are TONS out there!! I am glad they are going ahead with Jif's surgery, this is going to be a good thing, I just know it. Prayers and hugs still coming your way.

debkay, hope your daughter's foot is feeling better and that you have figured out the iron thing for her anemia. I'm sorry I couldn't be any help there!

Tracey, twin babies, what a blessing!! Good luck in choosing which plan you go with!

Hello to Jennifer and Welcome to Barb!!

Mama J, how are things in the football world on your end???

Linda, I know what you mean about haircuts--a year ago when I went from longer to shorter I had 7 inches cut off at once and it wasn't until 2 days later when someone else mentioned it did my husband even NOTICE it!You just have to do what makes you happy I have decided. (At least with hair

Dottie, we must have been posting at the same time--good job on losing the 3lbs. and enjoy your quiet weekend!

Hello to all who follow and have a good day!!!!

PS Any opinions on which is better for depression--St. John's Wort or 5HTP??????

Last edited by AdoAnnie; 08-16-2001 at 07:57 AM.
Old 08-16-2001, 08:28 AM   #4  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Morning everyone.

Peachie, you just give Jiff a great big hug from uis all enxt time you see her. I hope she can ditch the fluid fast and get the surgery over and done with. She has not lost the battle - just changed tactics so she can have her life back. Hope your DH has a quick recovery from the CTS surgery and is back on board helping you this busy time.

Wow! The heat sure can cause problems - even in young healthy males! That stuff is really scarey!

Was thinking of Sapphirentwins this a.m. when the kid down the street started screaming at 5:30! This child must really have problems because he is 20 months old and cries almost constantly. Poor Mum and Dad! When the baby is not hollering, their dog is barking! Who says life is peaceful in a small town?

Annie - what the heck is 5HTP? St John's Wort is good for moods but I never heard of the other. Wish SH a happy birthday - maybe he will change back into a DH when he hits 40.

Dottie - you are right. get out and enjoy the great weather. It's a long winter - at least for those of us in the Great White North.

My lunch with colleagues yesterday was excellent - I even stayed OP. I heard that one of my old foes finally got his commeuppance for his terrible management style! He actually got fired - nearly unheard of in the Governemtn of Canada! It almost makes me want to go back to work - don't be silly, Ruthie!

Have a great day, everyone. I am making some steak thingies (like 50!) to take to a garden biddy meet next weekend. I must post the recipe - flank steak which is very lean and tender when I do it this way. Need to spend some office time today too. Days are too short!
Old 08-16-2001, 08:53 AM   #5  

Good Morning one and all!

Once again my darling angel deided that 5:00am was the PERFECT time to wake up! So on goes the Elmo movie until Daddy wakes up and takes over. I managed to sneak in another hour of sleep before he went to work. Miree is wide awake and ready for fun!

Cloudy today and cool but they promised rain and none has come! My garden looks so wilted--even with me vigilantly watering every night, the poor things are suffering so much.

Ruth, isn't the old saying "what goes around comes around"? Seems like this fella got exactly what was coming to him!

Annie, oh my goodness, that poor boy must have suffered so much! What was his mother thinking??? have a great party for your dh!

Have a great day Dottie, hope the mess in the hospital isn't too much for you!

Peachie, sending my vibes of good health, care and love to Jiff. She's going through an awful lot and she's so lucky to have a special and wonderful sister like you to take care of her!

Have a great OP day everyone!
Old 08-16-2001, 10:26 AM   #6  
bes

Default 'morning

Good morning, everyone

Linda, thanks for the clarification over this thread vs. “Low Carb Support.” That’s a great idea – having a place to talk about ourselves and each other, and not just diet/exercise/health. (We are, after all, so much more than what we eat!) So, in that vein, here’s a bit more by way of an intro:

As I mentioned, I’m nearly 38, and the mother of two. I’ve been divorced for nearly three years – the ex lives about ½ mile away, and sees the kids frequently. We are not the best of friends, but try to be flexible and united where the kids are concerned. (Sometimes it's easier than other times.)

I work in the field of architecture and will actually BE an architect once I qualify for and pass the exam. I work in a small firm that’s close to home, and to where the kids are in school.

My will kids be entering kindergarten and 7th grade in a few weeks, and as I mentioned yesterday, both will be away for the last two weeks of August. Where? Italy! Their father’s whole family is there, in a small town an hour or so south of Rome. Actually, my son (12 y.o.) is already there, and has been since the beginning of July. (Yes, I let him fly alone. It was nerve-wracking, but he’s made the trip many times before, and it went fine.) My daughter (5 y.o.) leaves today with her Dad, and they will all return together in two weeks.

I miss her already. I miss my son, too, and am a little afraid of who/what he will be when he gets back. They change so much in pre-adolescence.

So that’s me – a bit, anyway.

By the way, Linda, I struggled to grow my hair out for over a year, and then cut it all off in one fell swoop. Some people (including me) look better that way. You can always tell the women who wear their hair long due to some ill-conceived notion that it is guaranteed to be sexier. Not always true!

Peach, I really came in in the middle of the situation with Jif, but I will try to read old posts rather than ask what’s going on. In the meantime, don’t forget yourself while you’re being “my mother the car.”

Dottie, I can more than visualize working in a construction area – I’m afraid I’m usually the reason the place looks like that! I have to do a lot of office and facility project management in my work.

Annie, I tried St. John’s Wart about a year ago, and it made me feel weird – photophobic, and slightly woozy. I wasn’t sure if it was the Wart or my mood, but as soon as I stopped the supplements, I felt better.

Tracey, how’s it going today? I should tell you that my mother is a fraternal twin just like your babies. They’ll be 70 in October. People tend to give my mom this peculiar look when she says she’s a twin, to which she replies, “Yes – we do grow up!”

Best to all –
Barb
Old 08-16-2001, 11:08 AM   #7  

Smile it's Thursday!

Hi new friends!

Just me checking in to say hi......sounds like things are pretty calm for most of you.......that's probably a good thing, huh? I bet it won't be too much longer before all these hot temps start to cool off and fall is in the air. I love fall.......I think it's almost my favorite time of year!!

As for dieting, I think some of you might know that I had to pack in the Atkins diet....it was making my blood sugar levels stabilize, but also causing them to drop too low, too. And, to top it off, I nearly completed the induction phase of the diet and did not lose a single pound.......how frustrating is that?!?

I've opted to try my diabetic diet again, and so far it has been going pretty well. It does allow for carbs you can't have on Atkins, but overall, the diet is fairly low cal/low fat and fairly low in carbs - more or less!!! The scale has actually come down almost 6 lbs. so far this week, but this doesn't matter considering my freaky body gained like 8 lbs. in 2 days !! Something must have been up with my meds or water weight or something, cuz I know I did nothing to gain 8 lbs. last weekend!!! So, as the scale is coming down.....I haven't really gotten to my true starting point until this bizarre 8 lbs goes away.......ugg.....it's such a battle!

Thanks for all your supporting words.......it really does help to know that I'm not in this alone......not to mention learning helpful dieting tips and ways to stay motivated. Thank you everyone.

Hope the rest of your Thursday is a bright, happy day. Let's keep up the fight together!!

Robin
Old 08-16-2001, 11:40 AM   #8  
Senior Chicky

Default Good morning!

Was hoping to post but DH just came in and needs something typed! I'll be baaack!
Old 08-16-2001, 04:57 PM   #9  
Slimwithin

Peach, please give Jiff a big hug from me. Nobody thinks she's lost any war. I would have had the same operation a couple of years ago but they said I was too old (55 at the time). I was devastated. I hope all goes well for our Jiff.

This morning it's very cool here. There's a huge forest fire a couple of hundred miles east of us and the wind has shifted so we are getting lots of haze obliterating the sun. Just a faint whiff of woodsmoke though and I'm not having trouble breathing. I think it's too high to interfere with air quality where we are. Anyhow, I took advantage of the cooler day and spent 3 hours working in the garden. Now, I'm heading back out there again. Hopefully I'll get everything all weeded and mulched before I have to start back at the beginning.

We have #1 grandson here this week working days for Grandpa and evenings sprawled on the sofa hogging the tv set and phone. I just keep telling myself, this too shall pass. (sigh)
Such a loving gran, huh?

Tomorrow morning is my weigh in. Hope I've been able to maintain my 10 lb. loss and perhaps lost a bit more. I don't weigh at home anymore so I'm always a bit edgy the day before my WW meeting.
Congratulations to all who are doing well and hang in there to those having a bit more trouble staying OP.
Old 08-16-2001, 09:39 PM   #10  
Trying to find my way.

S/C/G: 244/220/145

Height: 5'2''

Peach tell jiff it is NOT a loss battle. as it has been said a change of tactics. she need to do something drastic and now. her health depends on it. we all want her to get better nomatter how she does it. we are pulling for her. and i am glad that they are looking into a procedure that is less invasive that would be less problems post op. keep us posted.

Pooky the kids are supposed to be up at 5:30 am till 10 then it is 10:00 or later for their wake up time.

Annie i will be thinking of that boy. keep us posted. I am not sure which would work better I do now that st. johns wort takes several weeks to notice a difference. I never stayed on it longenough to see if it worked.

Barb I sure hope the kids realize what a wonderful Opportunity they are having going there!!!

Linda good luck on the meeting. We will be waiting.

and to all otherts have a great day.