Old 08-15-2001, 08:09 AM   #1  

Default atkins

Hi ladies, I think I"m going to do atkins for two weeks, get some weight off to motivate myself and then do my own version of low carbing. Do you think I would still lose weight if I simply eliminated breads and pasta and sugar but ate some fruit and lots of veges and protein lean meats?

Does anyone have web-sites for the other low carb diets out there, with the newborn twins I don't get out of the house much yet to borrow from the library. Thanks.
Old 08-15-2001, 09:03 AM   #2  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Hi Sapphire. Sorry my PM mailbox was full - it is pared down now.

Re Atkins - In my opinion, if your are breastfeeding, you should lean towards a diet like the one you mention - i.e. eliminate the "white killers" and go for lean meats, veggies and fruits.

There is a wealth of info on different low carb diets on the net. Try a search on "diets+low+carbohydrates". Somewhere on this board is a posting with a whole herd of links. I will try to find it when I get back later today.

HAve a lovely day with the babes!
Old 08-15-2001, 02:29 PM   #3  

Tracey? Are you nursing? Tough to do with twins!!! Are they on the same schedule? Do you wake them and feed them at the same time? Because if you don't I am going to send Debkay a plane ticket down there to help you!!!! Good Golly Tracey I remember Never getting out when my kids were babes and this site really helped with the loneliness that I felt staying at home singing "the wheels on the bus go....round a HECK of a lot of times!!!!!) Post alot Tracey because I know we love our babies but we need to take care of ourselves too!! (ok...done with the lecture...I hope I did not step on your toes on this. Mothers of babies are just near and dear to my heart!)

I agree with Ruth (I wouldn't dare not!!!) that if you are nursing that you do a program other than Atkins. Sugar Busters, Zone. Maybe Susan would suggest protein power...i don't know too much about that one! You may want to consider keeping your fruits to melons and berries.

have you talked to your doctor?
peach
Old 08-16-2001, 09:32 AM   #4  

Talking Thanks!

Thanks for all the great replies ladies, you are so helpful! No, I only nursed the twins for five weeks, it was too much for me, although I wish I could have done it longer.

I think I'm going to do atkins for two weeks to get some of the weight off, boost my mood and get me motivated, then just cut out the basic pasta, bread, rice, etc. and see how that goes.

Question though, how will drinking beer or wine effect the low carb diet? I soooo look forward to a few after the twins go to sleep at night.
Old 08-16-2001, 09:51 AM   #5  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Default Hate to tell you but......

.... alcohol does screw up the diet! This is the voice of experience from the henhouse wino. I also read this morning that alcohol enhances the ability to store fat! Life just isn't fair. Wine does has carbs - as for beer, I won't even go there! Why not try giving it up for your 2 weeks Induction? Soda with a bit of lime may be a substitute.
Sorry - I can sure relate - but it will slow your loss.
Old 08-16-2001, 10:34 AM   #6  

Cool Figures...

Wouldn't ya know it, my one evening vise and it's helping keep/make me fat, lol....

Bye bye beer.

Old 08-16-2001, 09:47 PM   #7  
Trying to find my way.

S/C/G: 244/220/145

Height: 5'2''

I would NOT suggest PP for breast feeding twins!! they need the calories to grow, I like the lowish idea that you have come up with. infact the lowcarb/ww sounds like a great idea, it is a combination of low carb but still takes in more carbs than most plans that is out there. it has fruits and grains but the good kind. you need your strength, and health (not that low carb does not provide it) but your caloric needs now are so much grater than usual. I would not do the atkins induction now either, that may stress your body too much. just start decreasing your carbs and take in wholesome carbs instead.

as for the twins i can take on for a while