Old 08-15-2001, 01:25 PM   #1  
she who must be obeyed

Question Daughter's lab results, help needed!

The other day I mentioned taking my daughter in for blood work because she says she is tired alot. I can be anemic, as can my Dad, so I was worried about her.

This is the note the doc sent on the lab results. "labs show borderline anemia. Try to increase high iron foods and add over counter "slow fe" iron"

The doctor also sent a little note attached that said "try to increase these foods" and she had checked off KELP (available in tablets)

Question, I think I know what "slow fe" iron is, but has anyone had any experience with kelp tablets??

Any other advise would be great.

Debbie

(my daughter is 15)
Old 08-15-2001, 02:11 PM   #2  

Default Hey! Because it is YOU I roused Jiff up out of her hospital bed!

But she has visitors and had to cut me off short...don't worry, I'll get her yet!

Anyhow...she wanted me to check with you to make sure that it is low iron and not low iodine. Maybe jiff is so sedated that she doesn't realize that Moms ALWAYS make sure of what they are talking about! She says to take just a little of it because too much of it is not good!

I seem to remember taking Kelp tablets years ago, can not quite remember why tho and they were yucky if I took too many of them.

Isn't Kelp like seaweed...food for the fishies?

So bottom line, I will have to pin Jiff down and get back to you. Don't worry Mom!!!! It will all be ok!

peach
Old 08-15-2001, 09:54 PM   #3  

Default Dear Debbie,

I saw Jiff tonight and asked her more about Kelp.
She said, "I don't know!"
She NEVER says that!

Sorry I can not help you more! Let us know what happens ok?

peach
Old 08-16-2001, 07:23 AM   #4  

Default me, too, Deb

sorry, that is.

I don't know either! Except to add that Iron is either heme iron the kind in meat) or non-heme, and maybe the source from kelp tablets is easier to absorb? Or helps with absorption of iron from meat sources. I do know that when iron is low, it need supplementation-from more than food-becasue it is hard to get the iron from food into usable form in our bodies.
They tell you to take iron with vit.C I think, to help the body absorb it. Spinach and other greens with lemon...? Grapefruit sections on fresh spinach salad?

maybe Nasus will see this and respond, she is a nurse.

dottie
Old 08-16-2001, 07:43 AM   #5  
she who must be obeyed

Default Thanks guys!

I'm going to run by the doctor's office today. Ask them a few questions, so that I totally understand what I am giving my daughter.

Debbie
Old 08-16-2001, 06:32 PM   #6  
Trying to find my way.

S/C/G: 244/220/145

Height: 5'2''

Hi guys I wish that i could be more able to give advice but all that is said is correct. iron can be gotten in tablest that are slowly absorbed, that wil be best as if it is the regular kind then most will be passed through with out being absorbed., so the slow aborobing will be better absorbed, and yes it is recomended to take with juice/ vit c. orange juice is best but if it has vit c it would work. as far as kelp I would imangine that it has the same properties as spinach, a forgotten veggie (my kids love it) so it must be loaded with iron as broccoli is (not as much) but the dark leafy stuff is really good.

one thing is to watch for CONSTIPATION!!!!! really bad and you can pave roads with it!!!! Prunes and raisins are good sources of iron and will loosen things up.

the good thing is as she is boarder line then you will not have to add to much to the diet, and did she have the bloods done soon after her TOM? that would make a difference. it still needs to be addressed so she will not be so tired, and draggy. it takes 6 weeks to regenerate blood lost when donating blood so if you think that she having her TOM every 4 weeks she is getting on the loosing end of the battle. (and so are we)

I would imangine that if she will increase her diet then you would not have to give her pills but if no increasein her diet then certainly give her pills. you may want to check if you give her a multivit with iron would be enough. ans if her diet is as bad as my 16's is then a good multivit would be a great idea.

there are several ways to deal with it. i think that you need to thinkabout it and what she is willing to do. and then ask the doc if dietary OR pill is what you need to do or if he thinks that she need both. as a kid she may not be willing to take a pill every day, especially if it constipates her.