Old 08-30-2004, 12:36 PM   #1  

Default Low Carb Chicks Chat week of Aug 30th

hey y'all, what's cookin?

(nothing at my house, my oven conked out!) I'm secretly glad because the oven in this house is old and I've hated it since we moved in.

MIL move-in went pretty smoothly otherwise. She seems happy. We are going to the first doc visit this afternoon. Then I'll take her to the appliance store with me to look at stoves. Any advice? Anybody bought a stove lately?

that's it. It's been so busy, and the computer was moved where I have less easy, less private access(it is now in the tv room) to allow for MIL bedroom. I guess I'll be on more at work!

So, stop in and say hello, even if nothing is up with you! Aren't we missing some new folk? I'd mention by name but it's hard to remember people's screen names, you know? Meowa, baby-somethin, who else?

Leenie, if you have time to set up your signature with 14 different colors then you have time to say hello! How's the cold, are you feeling better...it really dragged on, didn't it/ Say hi to sweet g. for me!

dottiejon
(dottie j) at work
Old 08-30-2004, 08:33 PM   #2  

Hi Dottie- Sorry, (I guess or maybe I should say congrats?) about your stove. I have no suggestions as I deperately need a new one also (only 2 burners work and baking is iffy - ya gotta check cookies a million times to get then right). I think the new ones have all kinda of new-fangled inventions that should be fun to play with!

Glad the MIL move-in went well. I think it was a great idea that you had for the new tv for you upstairs to 'excape' when you need to.

Gotta run - bunch of stuff to do tonight. Tomorrow early (6 a.m. - YIKES) I'm taking the train to SF for Melisssa's college orintation (sp?). I will spend the day with her then she will come back with me to spend the night and day then she will go back to SF on Wednesday afternoon.

See ya Hump Day!

Kel
Old 08-31-2004, 09:06 AM   #3  
Owned by Dixie

Height: 5'4"

Gee I swear I posted yesterday!

We are back form Chicago and had a good time although I think I just slept 12 hours!
I did just buy a stove for my husbands grandmother. I bought a cheep bottom of the liner cuse that was what she wanted. If you are going to go electric, the solid burners can be tough on old pots. The bottom of the pot has to be flat. So in addition to a new stove you may be getting new pots too...

Kel, have a fun time in SF, see you on hum day....

Ruth how are you 4 legged girlies doing?

to all the girls...we have 1 more week until school goes back...I need a vacccation from vaccation and I am looking forward to going back to work....
-L
Old 08-31-2004, 09:33 AM   #4  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Catching my breath and catching up. That darn South ***** Forum is a busy one!

My Girls are now heading into heavy duty puppy production. Lucy now has boobs which she keeps checking out with a doggie WTF! Hersh is making no attempt to explain it to her but is just sleeping a lot as she knows what's in her future. I have been doing middle of the night potty duty for them. What a noble Dog-Mum and GrandDogMum!

Dotti, I'm glad to hear the MIL move went OK. Lots of adjustments for everyone, eh? Good luck with the stove search.

Kel, you sound busy but OK. What a hustle it must be this time of year getting Melissa off to college. SF? Be sure to wear a flower in your hair!

L144S, dead on for the smooth surface stovetops! My old pots just didn't work on mine so I switched to my Le Creuset. They are too darned heavy but I am slowly replacing them with new Paderno or Lagostino ones. $$$ but I'm planning to live and cook at least another 30 years!

Today I am throwing together a script for yet another Old Stone Mill presentation. I will be a reporter intervierwing the spirit of Miss Anna Allyn who was a teacher here in Delta in the late 1800's. The actress playing Miss A. actually is a teacher and will do a great job. Hershey is the "medium" to bring her back from the spirit world so we've been practicing Hersh on the "Go get Anna!" command. She has the hang of it now after just a morning.

Sarah was to come to do garden work this morning but hasn't shown. I think she may have received a call about a job. I'll be glad when she gets a real job but sure will miss her help. I have a huge spring bulb order on the way and hope she will be able to help plant.

Off your butt, Ruthie. Do your Journal and then hit the To Do List!
Old 08-31-2004, 04:48 PM   #5  
Mommy x 4

S/C/G: 230/160/150

Good day Ladies.

Well I am back from a week at the lake, got home yesterday and the sun came out for the first time today!! Go figure! You go ahead and enjoy it Linda, I for one can wait another 2 mos or so for the rains. My ankles and back flared up so bad with rheumatoid arthritis I could hardly move..........ankles look like my Nana's.......HUGE! I ate and drank way too much and am now paying for it.........tummy woes. So I am now back on track here, glad to be home where I can cook what I like and stay on track. Did I tell you my bf is doing Atkins too? I am soo proud of him, he has lost about 15 lbs this month. Men, they seem to have it too easy I tell ya.......don't see him out shopping for new bras..........cause the other ones now can be carry alls! Took my measurements......dang if I could flip the bottom number with the top one, I think I would have solved my money problems. HA HA.........though I am not graceful enough to be a dancer, I trip over lint. Have a happy healthy day ladies. :-)

Highest Weight 223lbs Jan 2002

cw/164-gw/145
Old 08-31-2004, 08:30 PM   #6  
Big Loser

HI ladies!! I'm baaackkkk!! Seems everyone is doing well! Ruthie more puppies!! you are so brave!! Stoves - lord I know more than I want to, DH owns an appliance repair biz....Kitchenaid & Whirlpool are the best according to him, gas is best ,if you have to go electric the smoothtop ones are **** on the old pans..but it is a great excuse to buy some new fancy flat bottom ones!!!!

Lots going on here - we moved to NC in February...both kids in school finally!

Back lo-carbing after a big break which has made be big

Gotta be a lifestyle change!!
Old 09-02-2004, 07:40 AM   #7  
Owned by Dixie

Morning chickies!
Thursday is here looking like a beautiful day. The kids are taking out the trash as I say "mornin" to you all (if you are out there somewhere?)

Eye dr appointments today and I am going to drag the kids to the pedicure place. it is a requirement. They will be happy because they can use their gameboys for an hour...

Anyway time to have a cup of coffee and then hit the eliptical, it has been a very permissive food summer with all of the traveling we did and I am feeling out of control...suprise suprise
-L
Old 09-02-2004, 10:21 AM   #8  

Quick fly-by wave this morning - I gotta be all ready for work when I take the boys to school and then jet down the freeway to my downtown client (the head guy was called out of town last minute and he needs me then early for check signing). I know, I know but I'm just NOT a morning person! I do much better rolling into the office at 10!

So nice to see Rachel & Meowna & L & Ruthie posting with us! I guess summer vacation is offically over, huh?

SF was great fun - tiring (I left at 6 a.m. and we didn't get back until 11 p.m.!) but fun. Melissa has some great friends in her dorm. Good, caring people who know/appreciate Melis - what more could a mom ask for?

Gotta run - have a great day all!

Kel
Old 09-03-2004, 09:36 AM   #9  
Owned by Dixie

Friday here, long weekend and father and his lovely bride coming....wish me luck I don't loose my cool!
Beautiful day with the sun shinning and low 80's today. workout is done and headed to the shower....

kel glad melis is having fun and meeting nice people...
Ruth hope the girls are gestating well and that little pups will soon be a part of the day...will you keep one?
Dotti...what are you up to today? Mil doing alright?

ok gotta get moving...see you later
-L
Old 09-03-2004, 05:31 PM   #10  

just time for a quick fly-by. we are going from one doctor to another getting ready for MIL chemo. She has settled in pretty well, but we are shot! I am so tired I could drop. Which I will do tonight.

Bought a GE gas stove in the midst of the chaos, won't get it til next week though. But I have the burners on the old one, so I can do most everything unless I want to cook a turkey or bake a cake! (which I don't)

I'll post more tomorrow...this is going to be quite a ride!

glad to see everyone posting
dottie
Old 09-03-2004, 06:43 PM   #11  
Come on Spring!

Dottie and Kel, I'll join you in an early bedtime! I'm wiped. We rehearsed late last night and The Girls howled me awake at 5 this morning! I do NOT do well on five hours sleep and there was just no time for a nap today.

Today I got rid of dial-up and have high speed. What a difference! It has just become available in this tiny town and is sure going to end my frustrations about the length of time it takes to post! A cute young techie guy came to do the deed and spent a whole hour playing with The Girls in the yard. They loved it and he is now in love with Porties and wishes he could afford one. I wish I could just give him a pup!

It's a lovely warm evening so we are going to have a gin and tonic on the deck and then I'll do some BBQ salmon. One of the side "benefits" of Harry's stroke is that I can now barbecue! That was always his job but is too darn risky now. I actually enjoy it.

Tomorrow I am going to Ottawa to meet two friends (Ellis and Mauvaisroux) for a dim sum lunch. Pray for me! I somehow doubt there will be a salad bar.

I hope everyone has an enjoyable and labourless Labour Day weekend! Relax! It's the last summer weekend.

L144S, I'll be watching CNN for news of a murder of a "lovely bride" in your area!
Old 09-03-2004, 07:04 PM   #12  
Slimwithin

Hi gang. Sorry I haven't been around much lately. Just too busy wasting time on other stuff, I guess.
I'm almost ready for family invasion on the 26th. The guest room has been turfed out and I got rid of a lot of crafty stuff that I know I'm never gonna use. Should have thrown out more but couldn't harden my heart enough. In my digging around, I even found my Mom and Dad's box of slides from the 60s and 70s. There are hundreds of them and, knowing my Ma, many of them are of huge icicles or a perfect Peace rose. LOL My winter project this year will be to go through them and cull the ones that don't interest me and have prints made of the ones that do. I'm pretty sure there are quite a lot of pix of my two daughters as youngsters.
I had to have a part replaced on my dryer yesterday. The $34 part cost me $139 in the end and took the guy about 10 minutes. I think Peter and I are in the wrong business.
Tomorrow, I have a guy coming to pick up my wool area rug for cleaning and to get new fringe put on. He'll also take down and take away the vertical blinds. Then, next week I have a fellow coming to clean all the windows. I've had him before and he's wonderful and very reasonably priced.

Now, in the realm of dieting, I've changed plans yet again. Sheesh, Linda, smarten up, eh! I visited my sis the other day and she's lost over 50 lb since being diagnosed as Type 2 diabetic early this year (which I've had for 10 years). She, however, took it seriously and started a walking program and stuck to her diet. Now I'm trying the same one, which is basically the Diabetic diet and man, I could eat the legs off the table I'm so hungry. I'm hoping I get used to this deprived feeling soon. She says she's not bothered by hunger, the bag!

Feels like fall these days. Cloud, rain, morning mist and trees changing colour. I love it.
Old 09-05-2004, 08:23 AM   #13  
Owned by Dixie

You are so funny Ruth! Also glad you got the hi speed. it makes a huge difference.

We went to the lpcal amusement park yesterday and father's lovelye bride wants to be my new best friend! Gawd she makes me cringe...one day down, 2 to go! I have no clue what we will do today. any thoughts?

Linda, I hope you can find a food plan you can live with, and use the walking plan too. Table legs tase bad and will not satisfy the cravings

ok off for coffee and a showe to gear up for my father'a lovely bride again today....
-L
Old 09-05-2004, 09:13 AM   #14  
Come on Spring!

I had my first full day "off" from Harry care yesterday and we all survived it just fine! Harry has a Lifeline button and my friends were all around and aware that I was away. I drove to Ottawa and met Ellis and Mauvais for a dim sum lunch down in Ottawa's Chinatown. We had a great time and didn't really pig out. Are we getting mature? Smart? Afterwards we strolled around and stopped for bubble tea which was a hoot! Those big blackish tapioca bubbles are an experience. All in all it was a good day and I needed the break.

It's another summery day here but not too hot. I'd love another two months of this! I am off to Church for 10 (combined service) but am going to melt away when the potluck lunch starts. I know there will be nothing "legal" there so I'll mingle for a bit and then exit. Last time there was a pot luck I brought a great salad and it was the only thing that wasn't loaded with carbs and fat or sugar. "Why are you just eating that? Don't you like our cooking?" Some country cooking is best avoided if you can do it without hurting feelings.

Have a super weekend.