Old 03-06-2004, 07:41 AM   #31  

Angry

Good morning,

We did have some rain yesterday afternoon and a good deal of snow has melted. We can tell some frost has come out of the ground.

DH & I went out to dinner last night and ran into a couple we knew very slightly from the town we used to live in. We knew the husband more than the wife, who we met on one or two occasions. He recognized us and spoke, but I had no idea who he was for a few seconds then it hit me. He told his wife who we were and at first she couldn't place us, then he mentioned that we had 2 Boston Terriers at one time, then she knew who we were. We got to talking about animals, naturally, and I found out that she and I are kindred spirits when it comes to animals.

sugar, congratulations on your losing a pound. That's really fantastic! I am so sorry about your husband's fall. Thankfully he wasn't more seriously hurt. He must be very sore today. I'm sure with Rosalee's care he'll be better in no time. It's amazing how they can sense when something is wrong. That couple that I mentioned, they have a Yorkie that is 17 yrs. old, and he's their baby. I thought of you when they were telling us about him.
There is also a book about a Glycemic diet, but off hand I can't remember the name of it. There is also a book that lists foods on how they rate on the Glycemic Index. There is just so much information out there today, and sometimes it gets very confusing because you don't know which foods to eat or not to eat. When I eat carbs on WW I don't eat anything white, even potatoes. I eat brown rice, whole-wheat pasta, whole-wheat bread. I usually buy the low carb bread because it's also lower in calories, the first ingredient is whole-wheat flour, and it has a lot of fiber. I can get away with 2 slices for 1 pt. Do you get Thomas' English Muffins where you are? I found that they make a low-carb bagel. DH & I bought some and they aren't half bad. How did you like Atkins? What if you put some part-skim ricotta cheese on your bagel? I tried it like Nikki suggested with vanilla, splenda, and some cinnamon and it was soooo good. Only, I used vanilla flavored DaVinci syrup instead of the vanilla & splenda.

ANNE, hope you're sore throat is better.

nikki, sorry that Boots is gone. I'm sure you will miss him for a while and he'll be missing you and Stripes.

lynn, hope things are going well for you. Did you get a lot of rain? I don't know if the rain we got yesterday was part of the storm you got. It's supposed to be in the 50's today, but turn colder by tomorrow. I've gotten so used to these milder temps.

Take care and enjoy your Saturday.
Aleka
Old 03-06-2004, 08:09 AM   #32  

Good Morning,
I slept better last night than I have in a month. It was really good not to have Boots running around and causing havoc. I cried off and on all day yesterday about giving him away, but I think I'm over it now. Funny how you get attached, even if it's just a brief time.

I was on and on line meeting last night about heart health and they mentioned a couple of websites for glycemic index reference, I haven't looked at them yet, but if your interested they are

www.glycemicindex.com
www.mendosa.com

Sugardrop, congratulations on the weight loss
You don't have much to lose, do you? That is a significant amount then for you.
As far as mates for kids, my oldest is single and looking. #2 DD is living with a man that she has been with for 5 years now. He would never be someone I would have picked or even thought of. I won't get into the details, but at first, I wouldn't even meet him, I disapproved so much. Now, we do socialize and he seems like a nice man. He does treat her well and she seems happy, so I couldn't ask for more than that. I also have a stepson, his girlfriend is a sweetie, she's the one that took Boots.
I'm so sorry to hear of your DH's fall. He is probably more sore and stiff today than yesterday. (Having been in a number of tumbles myself, I can attest to that). Has he been checked for things related to balance, such as an inner ear infection, things related to dizziness? This must be very distressful for him and you both.

Aleka, our snow is almost all gone. I have tulips about 2 inches out of the ground and a few other spring flowers. I can't wait til all those bulbs I planted last year are in bloom. Hopefully, they made it. When we went shopping the other day, I saw so many neat things for yards and patios.

Lynn, I can't wait to get out in the camper and go camping. As soon as it gets a little nicer, I'm going to go through the whole thing, throw out some old stuff I should have thrown out last year and get it all cleaned up and ready. I like to keep all our supplies in there, so that when we go camping, all I have to do is stock some food, water and a few other things. We can be ready to go in an hour. DH has taken off so many vacations this summer, he will be off of work more than he'll be there. We decided to start when mushroom season starts (around May) and keep camping all summer. I've loved looking for mushrooms since I learned how to walk. We find morels, they are so delicious.

Hi Anne, hope your enjoying your weekend.

Well, better get some exercise in and get my day going. Have a good one, Nikki
Old 03-06-2004, 09:41 AM   #33  

Goodmorning Ladies: I know what you mean Aleka about getting use to warmer temps. It was 55 here yesterday, today it is zero. The river is open now and it is so nice to see running water again. Before my DH retired we took long weekends for holidays. Since we had to travel across the city we arranged it so we never had to travel on a Friday or Sunday. My DH is really looking forward to the summer, I'm not in the summer mode yet. I know it will only take the first smell of spring in the air to make me want summer to hurry and get her. Sugar, we love our daughter-in-law, they went together 10 years and the only time she was in our bad books was when she was away at university and would go to a pub night and come home and phone Joel at 2 in the morning. Joel had a phone in his room and we didn't but DH or me would have to answer his phone he was such a deep sleeper. Now my daughter's boyfriend I have a hard time liking. They have gone together 5 years and he is very good to her but there is something about him that bothers both of us. Hope your DH is not to stiff today and congrats on weight loss. Nikki I laughed over the different size jewelry. Remember my 3 pairs of jeans. I am almost back to were I was 2 weeks ago, I am aiming for Monday as the date to put everything together (counting cals plus exercising.) Aleka we got a lot of rain. It is so messy outside I am releived I'm not in exercise mode today. Anne my DH has a sore throat along with a cough, finally yesterday he decided that he was going to live. He also had a day or 2 of being dizzy. Well all of you have a great day even though everyday is a saturday now that we are retired saturday is still special I guess a hang over from when we worked.
Old 03-06-2004, 04:15 PM   #34  

Hi Again: I need some help please. When I bought my computer up from the screen saver my page is stretched from left to right. My first row of icons are off the screen and my close X is off the screen on the right. Have no idea what I did!! Does anybody know what I can do to get it back to normal? Thanks
Old 03-06-2004, 04:58 PM   #35  

Lynn,
Try turning your computer off, completely, then on again. This is called rebooting. It may fix the problem, if not, we'll go from there. I'll check back later, Nikki
Old 03-07-2004, 08:27 AM   #36  

Since it's Sunday, I'll start a new thread, see you there!