Default LCFS week of February 29, 2004

Hi Guys,
Hope you are all having a great weekend Our weather is just wonderful
I am sure you are agreeing Lynn!!!

Sugardrop, I am so sorry to hear about the loss of your daughter. My
21 year old cousin drown last June and I marvel at the way my aunt and
uncle keep going. I know it is brutal. I have 5 sons myself and I am always
worrying about them.

Aleka, how does sugar busters differ from Atkins or Suzannes plan?
I have heard of this plan but know very little about it.

Hi Nikki, glad to hear you're up and about.

Have a great day ladies last day of February!!!
Anne.
Old 02-29-2004, 02:00 PM   #2  

Thumbs down

We are also having a fantastic day. Just got back from a walk, our street is just about all mud with a little scattering of ice mixed in, the snow is melting off our roof. It's nice to get a taste of what is yet to come. I've even opened the bedroom windows to get some fresh air in the room.

ANNE, how was your lunch with DH Friday? Glad that you're having great weather also. Sugar Busters really confused me, but from what I read it reminded me of SS except for the food combining and you're allowed a certain amount of carbs per day. There is portion control, but you don't have to count anything. I believe you're allowed 1 or 2 carbs a day, but for weight loss they didn't give you any guidelines as to how much to eat. They suggest for digestion purposes that you eat fruit alone, but I don't believe you have to wait 20 min. or an hr. to eat your next meal. It's been a long time since I read the book, so I don't remember many of the details. There is a Sugar Busters forum on 3fc, maybe you could get an idea of what it's all about by reading some of their posts.

Hi nikki, lynn, sugardrop, hope you're all enjoying your weekend.

Aleka
Old 02-29-2004, 02:52 PM   #3  

Hi,
Happy Leap Year! Wow, what a spectacular day we are having. It must be in the 60's out there. I have several windows open too, Aleka. The cats inside are going nuts, wanting to go outside. Spring fever. Boots may have found a new home. DH's son's girlfriend wants him. They may come to pick him up today. We're not sure if she really wants him or not. If so, that's fine. He's a fun little cat, but man do they play a lot. It's all day and all night. He is always attacking Stripe, even when Stripe is asleep. I think he is trying to be the dominate cat and Stripe is so laid back and sweet, he could tear Boots to pieces if he wanted to, but he is so tolerant. Eventually, I know he will outgrow this, but if we can find him a home where he will be the only cat, that would be better for everyone.

Aleka, I was confused about the Sugar Busters too. I was especially confused at some of the food choices that other low carb plans don't allow, at least during the beginning of the diet. Sugar Busters seems to let you eat whole wheat flour, pasta, beans, etc in the beginning. Well, it's been a long time since I read it too, so maybe I'm full of it.
I'll look for that yogurt. The Carb Options salad dressings are from Wishbone. There's Italian and Ranch that I've seen so far. Green Goddess is naturally low carb and so is Blue cheese, so that gives me lots of options and I don't have to make them myself. I love to take a bottle of Italian dressing, cut up an assortment of vegetables and then soak them in the dressing. It makes a large container of vegetable salad. I missed having this, so I can now, with this new dressing.

Anne, glad your having good weather too. Hope your enjoying your weekend off, you deserve it.

Sugardrop and Lynn, hope your both doing well.

I can now say for the first time in a long time, I feel better. I woke up this morning and realized I really do feel better. I'm hoping this continues. Constant pain is a real weight on a pesons spirit.

Take care, Nikki
Old 02-29-2004, 04:26 PM   #4  

Happy Sunday one and all: First of all Sugardrop sorry to hear about your daughter. After spending time with my friend and than reading about your daughter it is time I stopped wallowing in self pity and get on with life. Another plus about this site it gets you thinking outside your own personal "box". The weather is fabulous!!!! Anne isn't it amazing how the snow has all but disappeared. Today was Nursing home day, went into Mississauga and visited my aunt and uncle in a home visited friends for lunch than.b on to Oakville to see my Mom in her Nursing Home. Poor soul was out of it today. Spent the time talking about a meeting she was at yesterday ( 30years ago) She looks so good and is happy so what else can I say. Now I am at my brothers. I am cooking a prime rib dinner complete with Yorkshire pudding very very English. His best friends are Greek and always have fabulous dinners when we are down so today is my turn. Later we will probably play cards. I'm not into cards at all but will join in as everyone else loves cards. I loose interest quickly and end up ticking off my husband when I do something stupid. I guess it goes without saying diet is out the window. When I finish here I am going to use my brother's ellipse for a while. Tomorrow we will probably go home. I don't want too, but I guess we have to start getting use to life after Coco. My daughter had gone though all family albums and bought her and myself a "Coco" album. If there ws a picture we both wanted we had a copy made. They are so cute, the smaller size that will not take up to much room. We laughed and cried as the pictures reminded us of so many good times. My husband just bought me a glass of wine, they are watching golf and probably want me to stay here out of their way LOL. Well hope you all have enjoyed a great day and talk to you tomorrow.
Old 02-29-2004, 04:56 PM   #5  

Lynn,
I love the idea of the Cocoa Book. My youngest daughter made a scrapbook of all the animals we've had, at least the ones we have photos of. It is a great little trip down memory lane.

Are you from England or were your parents? Dinner sounds wonderful. I've never had Yorkshire Pudding. I'm afraid my diet has not gone well today either. Will have to restart again in the morning.
Nikki
Old 02-29-2004, 06:14 PM   #6  

Thumbs down

It's only me again,

lynn, it sounds like you are having a wonderful time. That's a great idea about a Coco book. I love it!! Your dinner tonight sounds delicious, but I have never had Yorkshire pudding. Is it like a bread pudding? Sorry about your mother. I had an aunt like that and whenever I talked with her she had been out to lunch and shopping with her friends. So, I figured wherever her mind was she was having fun. I am not a card player either. I don't mind playing just with DH, but to have a group playing I am not the least bit comfortable.

nikki, do you like Balsamic Vinegar? I cut up cucumbers, peppers, onions, and if I have tomatoes I include them too, pour Balsamic Vinegar over them then add some salt and pepper. It is so good. You can add any kind of vinegar, but the Balsamic gives it a heartier flavor. Did your DH's son's girlfriend take Boots?

Have a great evening everyone.
Aleka
Old 02-29-2004, 06:22 PM   #7  

Aleka,
I have so many kinds of basalmic vinegar, you won't believe it. I especially like the white variety, it is a little more mild. I can't wait to get a good tomato to eat. I'm planning on planting all tomatoes, and a few rows of green beans this year. That will be a lot of tomatoes, but they are so versitile and good for you.
Nobody has shown up for Boots. Wish they would call, but they rarely do. They will more than likely not show up. If they do, it will be a surprise. They are not slaves to clocks or calendars. Very difficult to plan anything with his family, they're all like that.
Nikki
Old 03-01-2004, 07:42 AM   #8  

Angry

Good morning,

It looks like it's going to be another lovely day before showers come in for tomorrow. They say we may see 50 deg.

nikki, I have never seen white Balsamic vinegar, I'll have to look for it. I don't think we'll be doing any planting this year. We may not have the time to take care of a garden. I had toast and ricotta cheese for breakfast this morning and I tried your idea of vanilla, splenda, and cinnamon. Only I used vanilla Davinci Syrup and cinnamon. It was YUMMY!!! That was a wonderful idea you had. I never would have thought to try that with the ricotta on toast. I still am using the low carb bread, only because it's lower in calories than regular whole-wheat bread. How is your low calorie eating plan coming along? Sorry that nobody has come for Boots. But, I have noticed that a lot of people act like that today for some reason. It does get inconvenient at times especially if you'd like to go somewhere and have to sit around on the off chance they call or come by.

Hi ANNE, lynn, sugardrop, hope you all have a great day.

Aleka

Last edited by aleka; 03-01-2004 at 07:44 AM.
Old 03-01-2004, 08:31 AM   #9  

Morning,
Hope everyone is doing ok. It's looking like spring out there. I am all excited, but it's too muddy to even walk in the yard yet. Walmart is getting some stuff set up outside, a sure sign of spring
Aleka, the diet is not going well. I'm starting over again today. The Slimfast bars over powered my resistance and I ate way more than one bar yesterday. I should have known better than to have brought them into the house, it's like kryptonite is to Superman, Darned things taste too good and they are full of sugar (I decided to buy the full sugar ones ). So it's a new day and the sun is going to shine and I'll do better now.
I'll have to try the sweetened ricotta for breakfast. I am still using my low carb bread, because I have 4 loaves left, it is very healthy and it is only 50 calories per slice. Not bad tasting either.
Boots is still here. He got up at 3am and decided to wreck havock in the house. This gets Stripe going and it's like a circus, you don't know where to look first, there is so much going on. I finally locked Boots in the bathroom and that helped. DH's family never do what they say they will, we doubt his son even told his girlfriend about the cat. DH's dad was complaining about how much his medicine costs and how he doesn't take some, because of the cost. DH went to the VA, got the paperwork for him, filled it out for him and told him when he wants to go, he'll go with him to file the papers, all he has to do is stop by and DH will be ready to go. (His medicine will be free from the VA). Of course, his dad has never come by and it's been a month now. DH spent a week waiting up most of the day for his dad, instead of sleeping. His dad (and most of his family) lives about 30 miles away and the VA is in our town. His dad will not answer the phone, so we never know what to expect here.
I did get my Body Flex in this morning, Anne are you still doing that? It wakes me up for sure.
Better get the day going, take care, Nikki
Old 03-01-2004, 09:05 AM   #10  

Goodmorning All: Another incrediable day!!! DH is off with my brother for the morning. I am on the lap top that will be mine in a couple of months. It has a little red dot between the G,H, B letters that is the mouse. It will take some getting use too. I broke my glasses yesterday so bear with me as there maybe more typo's than usual. My mother is Irish and we were brought up with everything british and yes that also means I am a huge royalist. Yorkshire pudding is a batter similiar to pancake batter. When your roast is out of oven and resting, you increase temp of oven to 450 and place muffin tins with a little oil in them and heat till oil is smoking. Add batter and cook until golden brown and approx. triple in height Serve with prime rib and gravey. Delicious!!!!! Obviously not low cal or low fat. Dinner was a hugh success, my brother's Greek friends loved the Yorkshire pudding, they had heard of them but had never tried them. We are going out for lunch when my brother and DH get back. Tomorrow we are going home I am getting anxious to see how much snow has melted. The winter has gone so fast, can't believe that in 2 months we open our trailer for another summer. Hope you all have a great day. Talk to you tomorrow.
Old 03-01-2004, 01:07 PM   #11  
Sugardrop

Hi ladies,

I survived the massive mulching! DD and I spread 55 bags...I did about 15 before she got here. I'm not completely finished, but it was a giant step. Then yesterday on to the spring pruning. I got two trees whipped into shape. Our big nippers are so dull that my facial expressions must have inspired DH to take pity....only slightly though. Just to the point that he volunteered to have the nippers sharpened this week!

It is terribly windy here today. Trash day on the block and everyone's cans are blowing over, trash whipping about the neighborhood like wild. Why is it if you have your cans out early, the garbage men are always late, but when we are late, they drive right on by about 7:30! Nuts. I hate going out to do KP.

Thank you all for your comments about our daughter. Sometimes it is so nice to mention Sally casually in conversation, as I did here, and people like you can make me feel better in just a minute with your kindness. Lynn, you are so right that this site makes one think "out of the box" about life. It is easy sometimes to get tunnel-vision when dealing daily with one's own problems...from weight loss to personal things. Your prime rib dinner sounds fabulous!!! As for the card game, I can relate to that. The only thing I can really concentrate on when playing cards is which piece of bridge mix has the brazil nut!!! I am very frustrating to my husband, who is very good and can tell everyone what is in their hands by what has been played!!! I know you will treasure your album of Coco.

Nikkic, your "cat house" sounds like a merry wild place! Let's hope Boots journeys on soon.

Aleka, I have been trying to do the Fast Track as a kick-off for DH's diet, but alas, the visit by DD laid waste to that plan. I had two pieces of fried chicken breast for lunch on Saturday. You would have laughed at me picking it out of the crackly skin so carefully to eat it, but when DD and DH were still working on their meals, out of sheer boredom I began to mince on my little pile of crispy skin. We all three finished at once...with my plate as shiny as theirs. This morning I hadn't gained anything though so I am back on it today. I am one pound lighter than four days ago. Hooray!

I take it that none of you have done Sugar Busters. I don't know anything about it. For lunch today I had an Atkins bagel that was in the freezer with a fried (in Pam) egg and small salad. Are they acceptable on WW Fast Track? I probably won't do much but tread water with all this indecision but surely I can do it for a week.

Off to do DH's bookwork for church. Hope each of you has a fine day.

Sugardrop
Old 03-01-2004, 06:59 PM   #12  

Hi,
Just a quick note. I belong to ediets and there is a forum there that is run by Dr. Anderson, he wrote The Prayer Diet. I've never read or even heard of that book, but anyway, he's a very nice, caring man. He posted on the board something that I found interesting. He started a challenge to the people there that read that forum to say this prayer 3 times a day, morning, noon and night. I thought I'd post it here, it is encouraging to realize that you are not alone and that you can ask God for help, in all things.

"Dear God who loves me more than I can imagine,
teach me to love myself as you love me,
heal me of all old wounds and resentments,
teach me to love and nourish my body,
fill my heart with compassion for all who come into my life
and open my eyes to your moment to moment guidance and care.
Amen."

Nikki
Old 03-01-2004, 07:58 PM   #13  

Good Evening All: Nikki, the prayer is so on. We are our own worst critics and don't see ourselfs as others do. Not to long ago my daughter was complaining about putting on weight and DH said not to worry about it because as long as she stayed "slimmish" like your mom you will be okay. Now this was the year I quit smoking and put on 40 lbs. He honestly didn't see me as fat. My DD said at the time I had to stop being so critical of myself, the rest of them didn't see what I saw. Yes, I'm sure that is true and maybe we all would be better off if we realized we were our own worst critic's. Lack of self confidence is the killer. If we could put dieting out of our life and put healthy eating into the for-front maybe our lives would be easier. Sugardrop I think my friend Caaarol and I stayed friends because we could mention Rhonda as she was. We have had so many laughs rememboring her, the good and the bad. And sometimes the bad is the funniest. As we all know teenage girls can be real B------! and Rhonda was the queen. some of the things she did could be in a book. When she died her father forgot the bad and remembered only the good. How boring and boring is not a word I would ever use to discribe Rhonda. He is better now and can laugh about some of the funny things. I hope you and your family remember the funny things that made up the person Sally was. Aleka I read about the mud were you are and wonder what home is. Wasaga is sandy so with all thwe snow and now the warm weather it must be a mess. Anne I bet you were out at lunch today. Do you remember a Feb. like this before? I know we will pay for this but it is a taste of things to come. Anyway we are off home in the morning, and I am ready to face the place after Coco. Today was an interesting day, Lunch with my twin brother's ex girlfriend than dinner with his ex- wife. Who says my life is dull!! I need to go home to recharge my batteries. My DH and I have had to be so sociable these last few days we will probably won't speak for a day or 2 LOL. You all have a great evening and will talk to you tomorrow.
Old 03-02-2004, 07:44 AM   #14  

Angry

Good morning all,

It was a gorgeous day yesterday so DH & I walked just before lunch, then after lunch we took Lacee for her little walk. Today we're supposed to get showers. At least it's not snow.

Later this morning I'll be meeting my girlfriend for lunch and shopping. She is leaving on a trip next week and will be gone about a month. By the time she gets back, DH & I will be leaving for FL for a few weeks. So, we won't see one another until May.

nikki, thank you for the prayer. I do have some old wounds and resentments to heal. As lynn said, we are our own worse enemies. Glad that you're seeing signs of spring where you live. While DH & I were out walking we noticed load limit signs on the streets where we live. That's my first sign of spring. Sorry that your diet isn't going well. I hear you about the Slim Fast Bars. I'm that way with M & M's.

lynn, glad that you're having such a good time visiting your friends and family. You really needed that. We live in a summer area, and live on a private dirt road, which we have to maintain. DH & our only year round neighbor have to plow the street every snow storm and in the good weather they are both out there scraping the road and digging up large rocks that appear after the frost goes. Thankfully a few of the summer neighbors appreciate what they do and give them compensation at the beginning of the summer season. These are mostly the people who they plow out each winter. Hope you have a safe trip back home.

sugar, congratulations on your weight loss! I had a good chuckle out of your fried chicken story. I love the skin. My Dad worked near a chicken/turkey farm and once in a while he would come home with a completely cooked chicken. He would set it out on the counter and everytime my Mother and I would walk by we'd snag a piece of skin, so that by the time dinner rolled around the chicken was skinless. Those were the good ole days when you could eat what you wanted. I don't see where the bagel would be a problem on Fast Track, as long as it was whatever the recommended points for bread is. I'm glad that you feel at home here with us. I'm glad that you joined us.

ANNE, how did your day go yesterday at work with ?

Have a great day everyone
Aleka
Old 03-02-2004, 08:42 AM   #15  

Good Morning, what a wonderful day it is too. Just so great to hear the birds singing again.

Sugardrop, that is a lot of mulch! I'm lucky to spread 10 bags in one year. I do use straw on my vegetable gardens, under a layer of that landscape fabric that you roll out and stake. I guess the fabric would be enough, but I like the way the straw looks and it helps keep the fabric down. That way, I don't have to do much with my tomatoes the rest of the season. I just water a few times in the beginning.
DH has 3 brothers, one died about 20 years ago when he was 18 and DH was 20. His family rarely talked about the brother that was killed. That pretty much destroyed his family. We talk about him a lot, not as much as when we first got together, since DH had a lot to say and no one to talk to about it before. Now he might mention him once a week or once a month. I think it is like giving his brother a mental hug and honoring him. Thank you for honoring us, by talking about your daughter.

Lynn, I find it hard to see myself sometimes. Looking at pictures and having pictures taken helps. We are our own worst enemies, as you said. We turn so much inward, anger, frustration, hurt and then sometimes, we over eat to try to feel better. I think I'll use this pray as a way to ask God to help me to take better care of this body that He gave me.
You must be home or on your way. I know this will be a difficult day for you, I'll be thinking about you.

Aleka, have fun shopping and at lunch. I over did the Slim Fast bars, because they taste just like candy bars. Silly me, I should have known not to bring those things in the house.

The diet is going better, was OP yesterday. I did a set of Pilates (floor work only) and I sure can tell, I haven't exercised in awhile. Very hard to finish and I can't bend like I could before, too much fat in the way.

Anne, hope your day goes ok, bet yesterday was a long one, Mondays, what can I say.
Well, I hear Boots has knocked over another plant, so better get going, take care Nikki