Old 05-07-2003, 07:11 PM   #1  

Default LC newbie-GROSS ?? Pls help

I don't want to be indelicate but need to know if I'm "normal". I have been doing Atkins induction for 2 weeks now. I am not constipated - almost the opposite. Now for the yucky part, I seem to pass alot of mucus with my bm. I don't have cramps or any stomache upset. Is this normal for this stage? I am a major carbo addict, but am finding that my cravings are all but gone, although I have been good about not having any trigger foods around. Thanks for any help you can pass on.
Old 05-08-2003, 09:14 AM   #2  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Welcome to the Low Carb Forum! Nothing is too gross in this forum!

I'm not sure if it's normal or not. I know I sometimes get the runs on LC when I eat too much fat. However, I never really "looked" for mucus.

I'll move this post into Low Carb! where it will get more views. Maybe the chicks in there can help. Please feel free to ask any questions in that forum too. There is a great bunch of experience and support in there and the odd nutcase!
Old 05-08-2003, 10:29 AM   #3  
Lovin' Life

S/C/G: 300/too much/155

Hiya Muffin and welcome

Ive had that often, but figured, it was just a build up of stuff thats not suppose to be there in the first place, and was pleased that it was leaving me

I know, not very technical, but I wouldnt worry about it. Just make sure you are eating your veggies.

Robin
Old 05-08-2003, 01:30 PM   #4  
Old Cackler

and make sure you're getting enough water...
Old 05-08-2003, 04:29 PM   #5  

I've been doing Low-carb (Atkins) for almost 3 weeks now and I have NO problems with being constipated. Haven't inspected it, though. Hope you find more info but I assume your body is getting rid of what you don't need!
Old 05-08-2003, 08:26 PM   #6  

Thanks - I know it sounds weird - I don't really inspect it but nuff said. LOLOL
Old 05-08-2003, 09:29 PM   #7  
Trying to find my way.

S/C/G: 244/220/145

Height: 5'2''

OK OK I have looked at enough "stuff" so that the normal person would just about puke. but it would be the fat in your diet. try cutting out some of the obvious fat first. that should help. but are you taking your vits????
Old 05-09-2003, 02:52 PM   #8  

Re: Vits - yes I am, plus I added some extra vitamin C and CoQ10 to the multi,calcium,B50,Essential oils that I took already. The veggies are not a problem - I have to watch to make sure I don't eat too much salad (from my WW days) Thanks for the idea on fat, I will be cutting back on those some, although the only real fat source other that what is in my meat is some cream for my jello. I think I need to up my water abit too. Thanks again for the input!
Old 05-09-2003, 05:39 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 242.5/193.4/170

Height: 5'9"

Caution: too much calcium excretes itself from your body by way of diarhea. Don't know how much is too much, just remember reading that somewhere.
Old 05-09-2003, 10:11 PM   #10  
Trying to find my way.

How is your gallbladder????

are your stools light in color???

the essential oils could be doing some of the oily stools but not that much. cal and mag in excess will cause loose stools but my guess would be the gall bladder. any abdominal pain after you eat???how about nausea????
Old 05-10-2003, 09:17 AM   #11  

Just to keep this fascinating topic alive I will suggest yeast die-off. Intestinal yeast overgrowth is treated by stopping carbs/simple sugars and that is why some people have a reduction in intestinal gas on a LC diet.

I'm not a nurse, so don't pay me no mind!

hope you're feeling better. Are you drinking your water?
Old 05-10-2003, 09:26 AM   #12  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

This IS the Discovery Channel!
Old 05-10-2003, 03:10 PM   #13  

OMG I feel like I created a monster! But to answer some questions (in the hopes of serving science LOL) The calcium level I take is 1000mg per day split in two doses - doctor prescribed as I am on medcication for osteopenia (thinning bones) Since I have had to cut my milk, yogurt etc. I don't think that is it. I don't have a gallbladder (removed when I was 25) and I really have not had any cramping. I guess what I had noticed though was not so much loosness but chunks of mucus - it seems to have slowed though so I'm thinking it relates more to RobinH suggestion of getting rid of stuff that didn't belong. I know I have read stuff on fasting (not for me) that talks about ridding your body of junk, hope that's what it is. Thanks again for your help! (PS I am not as old as this post makes me sound (early 40's) and actually in very good health generally.)
Old 05-10-2003, 05:10 PM   #14  
Trying to find my way.

The lack of gall bladder will explain it all!!

The gall bladder is the store house for bile which helps disolve and digest fat. so now with your increased fat in the diet it shows in your stools. BINGO!!! (I was thinking of gall stones that was the question on the cramping, but if no bladder then no stones)

Dottie you are right about the sugars in the intestine. it does cause gas producing fermenting!!!
Old 05-12-2003, 11:19 PM   #15  
WW Moderator

Sue, all this poop talk perked up my ears! Ok - so no gallbladder could mean that extra fat causes loose stools?