Old 04-03-2003, 08:53 AM   #16  

Good morning,
Anne, I know it must be really hard for everyone not to feel worried and depressed about this virus. Not everyone that gets it dies from it do they? I don't know alot, I try hard not to watch the news. It is so depressing, war, disease, on and on. Sometimes, I can't avoid it, like when DH has it on, it's on the tv's at restaurants and everywhere you go.
I would rather see what I want to. Maybe I'm looking through rose colored glasses, but it seems to me, it doesn't matter. You can spend your life worried sick about when it's going to end, or do the opposite. Realize that we all are going to die someday and enjoy today, it's all we ever had to start with anyway. I'm just going to keep on trusting in God, listening to the music that the birds make, see the sun shine and watch my flowers grow.

The devil hates to see our joy. He would rather see what is happening now in the world. Nehemiah 8:10 says, that the joy of the Lord is our strength. I like this scripture too-2 Chronicles 20:12 O our God, will You not exercise judgment upon them? For we have no might to stand against this great company that is coming against us. We do not know what to do, but our eyes are upon you.-It's the last sentence that gets me. Even way back then, people were at a complete loss, knowing that they had no where to go and no way to fight the battle that was upon them. Keep your eyes upon God. Turn off the news sometimes and do something else. See the beauty that still is in the world.

Anne, I am so proud of you! I have fallen off the Gazelle wagon the last week or so, but I'm doing other execises instead. I was planning on getting on it this morning. It's not that I don't want to, it's just if I exercise too much, I can't do anything else. Yesterday, I did a lot of yard work and got a good workout from that too.
I couldn't dig a hole to bury the skunk. The ground is so dry and hard as concrete out in the field. So, I drug the can to the back of the yard, down wind from the house. I told DH he will have to get rid of the whole thing. He says he will, I hope soon. I had to take the bag of garbage out that I'd thrown in there and I got plastered again with the odor. I dumped about a cup of the odor eliminator on that garbage bag and it did take the odor away. That stuff really works. At least the garbage man won't have to deal with this problem. I'm getting kinda tired of dragging that dead skunk all over the yard,

Aleka, I like the plants at Home Depot. We went there last year and they have a large variety. We have to drive 30 min to get to one, so sometimes in the spring, I don't always get up there. I'm so busy with the garden, I hate to take the time to drive there and even the time it takes to shop.

Got to go, take care, Nikki
Old 04-03-2003, 09:58 AM   #17  
Ready!!!

Nikki, I love the skunk story. I can just see you dragging that thing around. I don't mind the smell of them. Go figure???
Chicks, S.A.R.S. is very much like the cold germ, best wepon against it is to wash your hands, wash your hands, wash your hands, see what I am saying,as we cannot stay indoors, wash your hands and keep them away from your face.
Love ys,
Tazcat
Old 04-04-2003, 06:52 AM   #18  

Good Morning Ladies:

Nikkic: S.A.R.S. is a mutation of the corona(cold)virus. There are
huge differences between S.A.R.S. and the common cold. S.A.RS.
causes a viral form of pneumonia. Toronto is under a medical
emergency. All Toronto hospitals are closed except to emergencies. Even fathers are not allowed in the maternity
wards. I speak on good authority as I work at St. Michael's
Hospital in Toronto and ALL STAFF, nurses, clerical, cleaning must wear masks at all times. Many countries have advised against travel to Canada, particularly Toronto which is hurting us financially at the moment too. There is mixed opinion on whether this virus is air borne or not. Lets face it, if it is airbourne its going to take more than hand washing ..........Our medical experts are really worried. I have even heard one of them express that they have not discounted this virus being of man made origin!! My father is going through **** every day
to get his radiation treatments. Before entry they take his
temperature, put mask on him, put gloves on him, and make him
sign a form stating he knows no one with this illness. This is real
serious business. Presently there is a 5% mortality rate which may seem small but not if its you.

I am home today because we have an icestorm!!!! My kids are
rejoicing because the school buses have been cancelled!!!

Hi Aleka!!!

Anne.
Old 04-04-2003, 08:05 AM   #19  

Anne,
That was Tazcat that was talking about the handwashing. I know your right, it's much more serious than a common cold or the flu. The man that discovered the virus, that worked for WHO, has died from it. If there is anyone that knows how to wash their hands and prevent the transmission of a virus, they would.

What I was trying to say was, no matter how bleak things look, you need to find comfort in God. I wasn't trying to minimize it and I apologize if I came across like that.

Take care, Nikki
Old 04-04-2003, 08:21 AM   #20  

Angry It's Friday!

ANNE, you're having ice....we're getting snow. We've gotten 4" so far and it's supposed to be like this until sometime tomorrow. Enjoy your day off. In yesterday's Life Section in USA TODAY there was a story about SARS and there was a photo of I believe she is a nurse, disinfecting a woman's hands as she comes out of a hosp. in Windsor, Ontario. There were also photos of people in Asia wearing an array of masks. Some of them were very fashionable. If the virus is airbourne, then a mask would help along with disinfecting your hands.

nikki, are you still getting those warmer temps?

tazcat, it was great hearing from you. What have you been up to?

Have a great weekend ladies
Aleka

Last edited by aleka; 04-04-2003 at 08:24 AM.
Old 04-04-2003, 08:51 AM   #21  

Hi Nikkic,
Sorry, Sorry, Sorry,
I know it was tazcat, sorry if I sounded like I was lecturing you
I didn't mean to make it sound like thatI also know you are a nurse . Its just so stressful I want anyone who reads our thread to realize its not a cold I was just hearing now that three Canadian Children have arrived over in Australia with the darn thing. Our medical authority is hopint to have it under control in a couple of weeks. I hope they are right.

Nikkic, you wouldn't believe the ice here if you seen it!! I
feel like I am living in the artic I am wondering if Joan Rivers will make it out from New York for this weekend

Aleka, this ice storm is suppose to last till Saturday Morning here
too!! Will this winter ever end

Talk to you later everyone!!
Old 04-04-2003, 10:33 AM   #22  

Hi again,
Anne, Don't even worry about it. I can't imagine the stress your under. You've always had so many things to deal with. I admire your strength and pray for your well being and for your family daily.
I think that the government down here, is not going to take it very seriously, until it's way too late. It really bothers me. I try so hard not to let it get to me, because if I started to think about all that is going on, I think I'd just sit and cry all the time.

It has turned cold here and rainy, Aleka. DH says that they are predicting snow by Sunday and up to 6 ". I'm disappointed, but not surprised. I remember a couple of years ago, we got such an ice storm after the tulips bloomed. I went out with a hose, slipping all over the place and washed the ice off them for over an hour before the sun came up, so I could save them.

Tazcat, it was good to hear from you. I never cared much for the smell of skunk. I must say, I've become much more intimate with it than I want to be.

Take care everyone, Nikki
Old 04-04-2003, 06:01 PM   #23  

Good Evening Everyone!!

We enjoyed a great day off, weather was frightful, company at
home delightful!!

Nikkic, I have to laugh so much about that skunk!!!! Only
three additional cases of S.A.R.S. today, that is great news,
it seems to be slowing down now. Thank God, we are feeling
relieved.

As you guys can see I posted my pic. We finally bought our new
scanner. Soon I will post a few pictures so you can see me and
my familly. I will also include a pic of me at my top weight.

Hope you are having a great Friday!

Anne.
Old 04-04-2003, 06:35 PM   #24  

Default Hello again...

ANNE, what a great picture! It's nice to see a face behind the name. When you're able to post a picture, PLEASE tell me how you do it. We have a scanner, but everytime I want to post a picture I always get a message saying it's too large and it ends up being the size of a postage stamp! I went into Web MD today and there was an article about SARS and a link on how to avoid it. The website is www.webmd.com there is a link to click on the top of the home page. Basically it said to either wash or disinfect your hands and wear a mask. Maybe this article may help you.

nikki, it has started snowing again and from the weather report I just heard, it's supposed to turn to ice by tomorrow morning.

Have a good evening.
Goodnight,
Aleka
Old 04-04-2003, 06:56 PM   #25  

Good evening to you guys too,
Anne, I think you look great. I don't know how to post a picture either. I've never tried, but my printer/scanner is always messing up. I don't know how to fix it, I've emailed Lexmark and Gateway and gotten replies that don't help, but have a lot of information in them. At the end of the email, they say to contact the other one for help.

That's good news that the number of people that have contracted the virus has slowed down.

Aleka, will winter never end? It is snowing here. Not much yet, but still, any snow is too much for me.

DD and I went to the next town and had a really nice lunch today and did a little shopping. It's kind of a tourist town in the spring/summer, but right now, it's pretty quiet and just local people. We had a good time.

Have a good night, Nikki
Old 04-04-2003, 07:43 PM   #26  

Hi ladies:
My son will explain to you, I don't know who either, James, did
it for me Heres James......

Hi Nikki and Aleka! It's James. Im in grade 11 and 16 years of age and of course Anne's son. Now to get your beautiful pictures on the computer you must have a scanning program and you cannot put the whole thing on only about your face and a little bit down. you have to cut off the rest depending on your program. Then when you go to 3FC go to MY Options and where it shows what your current picture is go to browse and open it up depending on where you saved it from. I doubt ive helped you much but ive enjoyed talking to you. If you still dont understand ill be very happy to answer any further questions!!!!!!! Best Regards
Jamie
Old 04-05-2003, 06:44 AM   #27  

Good Morning Ladies:
Aleka, thank you for the link on web md. I am anxious to
hear our news conference today to see it we are still staying
stable. I was suprised looking at the map on web md that
California had more cases than New York. I would have thought
New York being so close to us would have had the larger
incidence. Lets hope with all the precautions and information
we are getting that we can stop this disease dead in its tracks!

What a mess outside, ice, snow, I can't beleive it is April. My sons
have just gone out to shovel us out!!!

Joan Rivers did arrive, so I will be watching Shopping Channel
this weekend for sure

Well I better get some coffee and hot chocolate going for the
boys, they will be cold when they come back in

Anne.
Old 04-05-2003, 12:34 PM   #28  

Good morning,
I worked out for over an hour this morning. I didn't do a thing yesterday, so I needed to catch up. Can't do anything outside, it's too cold.

Anne, that was so nice of Jamie to write to us and explain how to do that. I really need him to come to my house though. I have a scanning program, but I've never opened it. I have something wrong with either my computer or my printer and everytime I use it, I have to delete the program and then reenter it. It will work for about one time, then refuses to work anymore. I don't know about the scanning part yet. Well, I don't have a picture either. I have always hated having my picture taken. I'm going to wait til my birthday, it's usually when I have my picture taken (not because I want it, the kids just take one when I'm not looking).
Anyway, thank him for me. And if your reading this Jamie, it was nice to meet you and thank you for your help. I might be able to do it, will try in June.

Aleka, I didn't want to look at that webmd site, but I did. I am surprised at how many cases there are already. None reported in Iowa yet, but that doesn't mean they aren't here. I've bought many bottles of hand sanitizer and have them stashed everywhere. Yesterday, I was at a store and the clerk was sneezing, I felt like running out the door.

Anne, is it still snowing? Your lucky you have sons that will shovel your snow. My girls wouldn't shovel anything (they still won't). At least I have a DH that will do it now. I had to dump my fountain out and turn it off, it was full of mostly ice and a little water today. They say it's now breaking a record for cold here.

Take care, Nikki
Old 04-05-2003, 01:27 PM   #29  

Angry Good afternoon.....

We got about another 6" of snow overnight making the total to around 10" or so. Now we are getting freezing rain. Such lovely weather. I've had enough of winter.

Thank you, Jamie, for writing to explain how to put a picture on the computer. It was very clear on what to do. I will do it soon. I just have to have my picture taken. It was a pleasure meeting you.

ANNE, how much snow have you gotten? That's wonderful you have 2 sons to shovel for you. We don't have any kids, so DH has to do some, if not all the shoveling. My arms and back can't take it anymore. I'm glad that you got some info on the WebMD site. Have a good time watching the shopping channel. Let us know the goodies you buy from Joan Rivers.

nikki, there haven't been any cases in NH, but a NH man did catch it, but he's in a Michigan hosp. I know there has been a case reported in Maine.

My girlfriend faxed me a diet that she's been doing, and she's already lost 10 lb. It's a low-carb grapefruit type diet. At each meal you have either 1/2 grapefruit or 1/2 c. grapefruit juice. You have bacon & eggs for breakfast. Lunch is a salad with unlimited amts. of any type meat and acceptable veggies, and any salad dressing you want, Dinner you have any type of meat, unlimited, with unlimited amt. of acceptable veggies. You eat until you are full. It's almost like what I was doing when I Somersized, except for the grapefruit. I started doing it today so we'll see how it works out.

Take care and enjoy the rest of your Sat.
Aleka
Old 04-05-2003, 08:53 PM   #30  

Hi Everyone!

Aleka: its a mess, we got about 6 inches and tons of ice. There
is another storm centre coming our way for Monday night

I hate to tell you guys, but two more people died today of
S.A.R.S. My parents are both worried sick about West Nile
now that summer is on the horizon(though you wouldn't know
it looking ourside )

I will make a mini album soon of my kids, DH, and so on to show
you ladies. I will also include my top weight photo. I am not
proud nor ashamed of it. I became that heavy a few years ago
when my dad first took sick, I quit smoking and was also learning
my son suffered from Autism. It was a particularly bad time in
my life and my weight then of 309 reflects it.

I was soooo bad!! I bought 2 items from Joan. A denim bangle
and a beautiful blue set of faux pearls with matching earings!!
I had to do it

Nikkic, Jamie got such a laugh hearing about the skunk!!! He is
really a lovely boy, and so respectful. I feel blessed.

Have a great evening!!
Anne.