Old 10-15-2002, 08:24 AM   #1  

Default Ketostix - does anyone use?

Good morning everyone...

I did very well yesterday and today I bought Ketostix to check for Ketosis. Has anyone ever used these? I am puzzled as to exactly what "color" indicates we are in the kind of ketosis that Atkins recommends. Is too light not enough, or too dark dangerous?

Thanks in advance,
Old 10-15-2002, 08:57 AM   #2  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

I have them but didn't use them much on Atkins. If you drink lots of water, your urine is more dilute and the sticks are only light mauve. Dark means you probably are not getting enough water so get drinking more! Time of day also affects the colour.
Old 10-15-2002, 09:44 AM   #3  

Hey Ruth, thanks for replying. I used one this morning and it said no ketosis. However I had already "gone" for the third time of the day by then. What is the optimal time to use them? Also I take my vitamins at night, if I use them in the morning will the vitamin residue alter the reading?
Old 10-15-2002, 10:09 AM   #4  

HI Tilly,
I've been using them too, just to prove to myself that I'm in ketosis. Sometimes, you are, but you don't lose weight. Lots of reasons for this, your body is gaining more muscle and it weighs more, etc. Anyway, I take a lot of vitamins and supplements. I see my urine is a bright yellow after I take vitamins. It probably depends on the brand, but vitamins can affect the color. So, I take my vitamins in the morning and use the sticks at night. That way, I have all day to get my urine back to a natural color and get my water in. I think it's a truer reading. After you use them for awhile, you really don't need them.
Keep up the good job. I've been reading your posts and your doing well. It's really important to avoid sugar, especially in the first 2 weeks. That way, the cravings are defeated. It really helps to insure long term success. Good luck, Nikki
Old 10-15-2002, 10:34 AM   #5  

Hi Nicki! I am trying. I have to say, the fact that I can eat anything I want except for carbs helps me to stay on the plan. I started last week but was not truly doing induction. I totally blew it over the weekend (drank beer and ate carbs). When I weighed yesterday I had gained 5 lbs.???? Could this be possible?

Anyway, I am on full induction as of yesterday. Do you know how long it takes your body to get into ketosis? I heard two days, but feel like I am starting to have that "smell" that you get when you go into it. If it is two days I should be in it as of tomorrow.
Old 10-15-2002, 11:09 AM   #6  

Tilly,
I've read it takes 2 days for your body to process out the carbs that you eat. So if your eating low carbs for 2 days then you should be in ketosis tomorrow.
I've had times when I've gained weight, how discouraging. It seems my weight fluctuates up and down, but it has been going down more than up.
Like I said before, it is so important to stay on the plan, no cheating. It's a commitment and it is hard at first. It will be so much easier when you've done it for 2 weeks. I can't tell you how much better I feel. I use to have no energy and felt so tired. Everyday I just couldn't wait to take a nap or go to sleep. It was the sugar! I feel alive now. I'm just a different person.
For at least the first 2 weeks, stay away from alcohol. I like it too, but it's important. I didn't drink for a month. Then when I did, I found out it took a lot less to get me tipsy. I use to drink all night, so that was something new. In fact, I don't really like feeling like that anymore, so my drinking has really slowed down. And that's good. Alcohol is one of the biggest reasons we gain. Even if it is low carb. Besides, it lowers your inhabitions and your more apt to eat stuff you shouldn't and you eat more because you can't tell that your full. I'm sure you've heard of the new low carb beer-Micolob (sp?) ultra and Miller lite is lower carb too, if you want to indulge.
Realize that you are not cheating yourself out of anything when you are eating this way. You are doing your body a big favor. Your creating a great environment for healing, cell building and weight loss. The foods that you find tempting now, will not look so good in the future. I ate a candy bar a few weeks ago and I was sick for a day and a half. I didn't really want it to start with, and when I got so sick, I knew that was the last time I'd eat that.
If you need any website addresses, I go to lots of places for information and support. Let me know if you do. Nikki
Old 10-15-2002, 11:35 AM   #7  

Nikki, thanks so much for all the info. I am looking forward to when the benefits begin! You are obviously off induction, how many and what kinds of carbs do you eat now? Did you lose a lot of weight during the induction period? Also, do you take potassium/magnesium supplements?
Old 10-15-2002, 01:29 PM   #8  

Tilly,
I don't exactly do Atkins, kind of a combo of Somersizing and Atkins. I started with Somersizing, but I didn't see enough results. So then I started Atkins. I don't really count carbs.
But I have a general idea of how many I'm eating a day. Like when I use to count calories, I could look at something and know what it was.
I generally follow Dr. Atkins list of veggies, Somersizing allows more. I am basically still doing induction most of the time. I vary it a little bit. I drink an Atkins shake for breakfast, because food in the morning makes me want to gag. But your suppose to eat, so I drink that. I figure it's better than nothing and it seems like it is a well balanced formula.
I've lost 20 lbs. in the last 2 months. I feel stronger and healthier. I try to make my health the main goal with weight loss a bonus. I have to lose 100 more lbs. to reach my goal weight, so I'm in it for the long haul. But that is the way you have to look at it. It is not something your doing for now and then go back to eating the way you always have.
I've really changed the way I look at food. I eat now to give my body what it needs to be healthy and to feel good physcially. I use to eat for pleasure and to feel good emotionally. When I dieted before, I was always hungry and focused on when I would eat next and what I would have. It just didn't work and I felt deprived.
Keep a journal, if you can. Record your food and what your doing. It is really motivational. When I'm stalled for a little while, I just look there and I can see the progress. The advances I'm making in my exercise goals are really surprising and I feel like I'm getting somewhere.
Potassium comes in 99mg. tabs. It says on the bottle that is 3% of what you need daily. I take one and I'm fine with it. Some people say they take more, but that's what their Drs. tell them to do. You can take too much potassium, so it is always wise to be careful. I also take calcium and vitamin D. Well, I take a lot of other things too, but these supplements I've mentioned are really important to prevent leg cramps.
Gosh I'm windy, hope that helps, Nikki