Old 10-14-2002, 11:48 AM   #1  

Default How are we doing this week? and high fat guilt

Hi everyone,
I cheated this weekend, not by a lot but still did. Does anyone notice that after doing Atkins for a couple of days you lose your appetite? The thought of any more protein made me feel a little sick! On Saturday night I had rice with my steak - wow, it was the best thing ever! I'm back on track today though.

Does anyone else experience a lot of guilt when eating high fat (especially animal protein foods)? This has been hard for me. I feel like I am doing something terrible to myself! I'm trying to tell myself I'll do this only for a little while and then try to work back into a lower fat mentality. At least while I am doing the induction I'll allow myself whatever I want (except carbs of course).

I'm starting fresh today, and am going to try to do the induction for two weeks straight. I'm terrified to do this, but I am going to weigh in at the gym today. That way I'll be better able to judge how well it is working.

Hope you are all well.
Old 10-14-2002, 12:03 PM   #2  

I feel no guilt at all but I will admit it does take some getting used to. I personally don't like the skin off chicken and will remove it (even at KFC!) Just a preference really but you'll see me dive into a bag of pork rinds any ole tie! As for the protein thing--there are alternatives to use instead of meat meat meat all the time. Why not make an LC pizza using soy protein isolate to make the crust? Very yummy and you can load it with veggies!
Old 10-14-2002, 12:15 PM   #3  

Oh, tell me more about the LC pizza recipe! I love pizza. Would it be allowed on induction?
Old 10-14-2002, 12:23 PM   #4  

Sure! It's basically all veggies and it's so easy to make.

Here's the crust:

1/3 cup of 100% pure soy protein isolate
1 Tablespoon heavy cream
1 Tablespoon pesto
1 Tablespoon grated parmesan cheese
1/3 Cup + 2 Tablespoons cold water
dash of garlic powder or cayenne pepper

You may have to adjust the water content to get it dough like.

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Mix all ingredients in a bowl and mash together with a fork. Grease a cookie sheet with butter. Take dough and form into a ball onto cookie sheet and press down with palm until it's about 6" or so in diameter. Bake for about 10 to 15 minutes until it's a bit crispy but NOT brown along the edges. Crust will be delicate.

Top with low carb toppings such as: 2 tablespoons tomato paste (READ YOUR LABELS) ,green pepper, mushrooms, grated cheese, pepperoni, cooked hamburger or whatever your low carb heart desires. Bake for another 5 minutes until cheese is melted. Be careful transferring to plate because the crust can fall apart easily. Slide a metal spatula underneath and loosen edges before attempting to get it to the plate. Tilt cookie sheet and slide it onto the plate. I swear, it tastes soo good!
Old 10-14-2002, 12:31 PM   #5  

Just adding my 2 cents worth: I recently found a cheap (well, realtively) low carb baking mix at Winn-Dixie. It's the Carbolite brand. I made a pizza crust by using 2 scoops of the mix, water and vegtable shortening. It was good but kinda sweet for pizza dough. I'm thinking about using it to made veggie pizzas. I'd bake the crust, spread cream sheese over it, then add diced veggies. It would be very low carb, as the mix had 0 carbs I think.
Old 10-14-2002, 08:26 PM   #6  
Old Cackler

daaahhhhlingsss... where do you find soy protein isolate???? it sounds like just the ticket!!! a high protein pizza crust??? SIGN ME UP!!!!!!!
Old 10-15-2002, 07:33 AM   #7  

At your local health food store--could go under the name soy protein powder--same deal. Usually sold in bulk
Old 10-15-2002, 10:13 AM   #8  

Could I use whey protein powder instead? Does it measure the same?
Old 10-15-2002, 01:01 PM   #9  

Hmmm...never tried it--make a test batch and let us know!