Old 10-13-2002, 10:05 PM   #1  
Living Juicy

Talking Question and Introduction

:wave

Hi everyone! My name is June and I live in Seattle, WA. I am married but have no children (My dh and I are kids enough) but we do have two little parakeets named Zippy and Doodah. Oh and one little aqua frog named Freddy.

I belong to TOPS (Take off Pounds Sensibly) and am their leader right at the moment. It has been really challenging and I'm glad I've done it. It has really taught me a lot and gave me better people skills and so many other things.

I also work at Swedish Hospital in the Reproductive Technology Department which is extremely interesting and a very fun job. I know I could find something more challenging (I am the receptionist and greeter and secretary). But I am kind of in my comfort zone right now and want to stay this way for a year or two more. But there is NEVER a dull moment.

I am a singer and sing Opera and Jazz and 1940s music. I hope to one day do it professionally when I get my self in gear. I also love to make jewelry and explore new places and try new things. I don't like beige and love colors and life and am learning to love myself. Okay that's enough about me... I would like to ask a questions that has REALLY puzzled me.

I read the article a while ago about people who have kept weight off. Over 85% who they interviewed lost weight and kept it off by NOT being in a group like Weight Watchers, TOPS, Jenny Craig, etc. I was really shocked. How many of you out there are just doing it on your own and do you think its better? I am very curious. Do you weigh yourselves once a week or once a month. The bad thing about it is before I joined TOPS I had lost about 35 pounds on my own pretty quickly and then when I joined it has taken forever...but of course I have a LOT to do with that. But I wonder why? Any takers?
Old 10-14-2002, 06:43 AM   #2  
Senior Chicky

Angry Welcome Ms. Divine!!

Great to meet you! What a wonderful introduction of yourself! It sounds to me that you lead an interesting life!

Personally, I've never had much luck with the "group" effort as in WW, etc.. I've found the support with my 3fc friends to offer much more of what I need. Not only with wonderful knowledge of so many LC plans, but the emotional support with this woe and the real life issues that we deal with.

As far as the weigh-in question. I prefered to weight daily and do weight averaging. But do not forget that trusty tape measurer.

Looking forward to getting to know you!

J
Old 10-14-2002, 12:00 PM   #3  

I also find that with groups there is a sort of "peer pressure" that you must lose and be a part of the group--online I have the "arms length distance" to be in touch with how I feel about my weight loss and not succumb to other people's ideas of success. 3fc provides me with the love and encouragement I need to make a success of myself without having someone else dictate what those successes are.
Old 10-14-2002, 12:01 PM   #4  

DOH! And welcome!!! Tee-heee
Old 10-14-2002, 12:18 PM   #5  

Hello Divine one,
I started out Somersizing and have progressed to Atkins since the ss was not working as fast as I wanted. I, like everyone else want to be skinny tomorrow, if not sooner.
I usually weight myself every time I pass the scales. I know you shouldn't, probably would make more sense to do it every week, but I can't help it. I have this overwhelming compulsion. I figure, if I am going to be addicted to something, weighing myself isn't that bad. It's not like I'm obsessive compulsive about it. I mean, just because I strip, let out all my breath and make sure I've gone to the bathroom first before I weigh...
Anyway, I really have never been in a group situation. I am committed to losing weight and feel like I have a pretty good idea of where I'm going. I really believe that setting a goal is the first step. Moving towards that goal is the part that is hard. Everyday, we have to make decisions that are going to either get us closer to where we want to be or farther away. I am, ultimately, the only one that is going to have to live with my decisions. I have found that the longer I go without sugar and high carb foods, the less I want to eat them. I enjoy exercise and I feel better when
I've done it. I also feel so much better-I have more energy and I don't need to nap in the afternoon. That is what is making it so easy for me. I don't feel deprived or hungry like I did when I was on a low fat diet.
I started on 8-9-02 and I've lost 20 lbs. so far, I'm at 254 now. My first goal is 200 lbs and I want to do it in a year. Then ultimately, 150 lbs. but that's a long way away. I'll be really happy with 200. I've given myself a year so I don't feel any pressure. I'm hoping at this rate, I'll be under 200 well before then, but if I'm not, I won't be disappointed.
Ok, I've rambled on long enough. I hope you like it here as much as I do.
June, you sound like such an interesting person. Talk to you later, Nikki
Old 10-14-2002, 01:19 PM   #6  

Hey Junebug! Welcome!!! I hope you stick around for a long time so that we can get to know you better!

You ask an interesting question. I don't know if I have an interesting answer but it seems to me that people who are able to maintain their weight losses for life are those that learn how to listen to the signals that their bodies send off. Note their bodies not their brain!!!! Or somehow their brain actually is able to listen to their bodies. They have learned portion control, they learned to make good food choices, they have learned to have treats but somehow make up for those over the course of time They have learned not to let their emotions guide their eating. I guess what I am trying to say is that they are eating normally. I have LEARNED all of those things, but with me there is a MAJOR disconnect between what my body actually needs and what I want. 'Cause let's face it, I want instant gratification! Usually in the form of CAKE!

I also thinks that weight watchers (which I sort of do now with low carb) and the other programs (which I have no experience with) concentrate on rigid guidelines. Some are more flexible than others but it is the PROGRAM that they are concentrating on...not so much what it is like to listen to your body and eat normally. They are good tools for learning but sometimes, I feel that I and perhaps others get so wrapped up in the program itself that I (we) still have the disconnect between what our bodies need (ie eating normally) and concentrate on the parameters of the program that we are in.
That is ok in the beginning when you are in the honeymoon period and having a nice loss at the scale and are having a good run. BUT to keep that energy going for a lifetime is not something I am sure that alot of us can do. Thus, my struggle but I continue to hang in there for the long haul which is a VERY long time and maybe by the time they lay me in the coffin I'll be at goal weight!

well, that is my 2 cents and it only is my view of how things are for me.

thanks for making me think about it, Junebug!

peach
Old 10-14-2002, 08:24 PM   #7  
Old Cackler

Default hey here junie bug!!

so nice to have you here!

and i'm not sure which has interested me more: that question you posed about succesful losers or the fact that you sing!!! my project for the winter: find a voice teacher! one of my life's ambitions [oh stop laughing everyone!!!] has been to sing torch songs in smoky bars and to sing scat. and now that i have my life back, i'm NOT waiting any longer to do this!!!!

but back to your question. as someone who has failed at just about every single weight loss program there is, i have to agree with peachie. folks who lose weight and keep it off are so damned balanced that they make me sick!!! they don't seem to use food to swallow their emotions, and they manage their stress in other ways. and they seem so CONNECTED to their bodies.

peachie and i have a sister [yes, peachie and i are real-life sisters] who's maintained her weight for decades. and she's like that!!!! she balances exercise with food and always knows how she's feeling and how it affects her body. it's amazing to watch!! so why can't peachie and i do that? i have no clue. we're just wired differentlyl

not sure about the group thing. i don't do well in groups, as i'm always focusing on other people's issues and can't begin to voice my own. that's why i enjoy being here. if i feel like saying something, i can set these fingers to tapping. and if i don't, i can just lurk.

still looking for that balance... still looking for that connection. still trying for a healthy and sane approach to food.

so anyway, now that you started all this reflection and rambling, welcome!!! and please hang out and post lots....
Old 10-15-2002, 07:24 AM   #8  

Welcome DivineMsJunebug!

You sound like you speak the words of wisdom. I think I agree with the statement about those who have successfully kept the weight off. I have seen that with friends.

Hope you hang around, this is a great place.
Old 10-15-2002, 04:12 PM   #9  
Living Juicy

Thank you all soooo much for replying. I was really curious. I need to really think about why I am not losing...

MamaJ - you are definately right on that account. I also belong to the 3FC e-mail group which has been wonderful and so much support. I guess I need all the support I can. I also have been putting more emphasis on the tape measure than the scales so I really think that has been helping and motivating me more lately.

Pooky - I do know what you mean. I know sometimes at TOPS if you don't lose it can be a little embarrassing. We try to incorporate sayings like. Next week will be better, don't beat yourself up, etc. I try to make it as positive as possible, but I do know what you mean. Sometimes if I don't think I am doing great then I will say - Oh forget it and just not try. I'm trying to change that thinking. Also trying to make myself lose weight at my own pace and no one elses.

NIkkic - I also started out Somercizing and lost quite a lot at first. Now I am kind of doing a combination of that and Atkins. But it does seem to be working for me finally with a lot of exercise thrown in. Sometimes I jump on the scale here at work a lot but I have to be careful how it affects my mood, sometimes I let it make me upset that I didn't lose more then I am off to the junk food to drown my sorrows...which makes sooooo much sense...sigh. Big CONGRATS on your weight loss so far. You are really doing great!! I think that is the biggest step is to set my goal and be committed (hopefully not in an institution...eeek) but put me first and my goals and I will do it!!!

Peach Pit - I have really been trying to reprogram my thinking the last month. If I think I NEED another piece of cheese I have to ask myself WHY do I need it. I am full, I don't need anything else. Sometimes it has been working for me. I do believe it is all mind over matter. We can do it if we stick to it but also give ourselves a break every once in a while and not get so insane if we have a slip - at least I know I do that sometimes...

Jiffypop - that is really great that you want to take voice lessons. I found a wonderful jazz voice teacher and took from her for a little while but then she moved...boo hoo boo hoo. I say GO FOR IT, life is short. I guess I am looking for that balance too. CAN WE BUY IT FROM SOMEONE???? :smile:

Thank you Dondar, I do plan to hang around here. There are some great people here.

Thanks to everyone who replied.