Old 08-09-2002, 10:02 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 242.5/193.4/170

Height: 5'9"

Question I'm back, and I have something embarrassing to share

Wonder if you guys have ever felt the same?

I am 28 years old and single and LOVING it!! However, I don't get out much due to mom and dd. So, tonight my sister calls and says, "We're on the way to eat, thought I'd check on mom." My feelings immediately got hurt. She didn't invite me, didn't even ask if I'd like to come. So, I'm sitting here examining my feelings and I realize something. I couldn't care less that she didn't invite me to go out and socialize with her. I'm mad because she's going to go eat yummmmmmmmmmy food and I have to stay here!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! What is up with that????? Is my obsession with food so strong that I hold resentment towards people who are getting more and better quality than I am? Am I like one of those people who gets jealous of someone else's relationships, cars, whatever? No, I'm really not. Just struck me the wrong way and now I'm mad at myself about it. And, I'm off to eat something l/c and yummy, pudding with whipped cream. Maybe that will quiet the binge monster.

So, spill! Do any of you remember ever feeling this way? It doesn't feel normal to me!
Old 08-10-2002, 07:08 AM   #2  

Sherrie-poo... here is my sympathy-story from just this week! I felt alot the same as you did, and it was a lot over the FOOD!!!!

Last week my sis asked me if I wanted to go out to eat this Thursday with her and the neice, as her DH had a meeting. This is something we often do, a casual dinner at Chili's or something like that. But I look forward to it because my DH doesn't like to eat out, and we NEVER go out, unless it is a birthday or something. So, I love to go with them, and we do it about everyother week.

This Thursday she locked her keyes in her car about 30 miles away, and decided to stay for dinner at her friends, while someone brought her extra keys from home. So she canceled, as they wouldn't make it home til about 2 hours later.

What a baby I am. I was mad.

I really felt disappointed. I didn't want to cook, and I didn't want fast food. I sometimes go to restaurants alone, like on vacation, but it felt silly to make a big deal out of this. But I was REALLY, REALLY disappointed.

But it was mostly about the FOOD> I had been looking forward to a nice steak and cesear salad(always better out!) and some wine , and I didn't want to make the whole meal at home and then have the dishes and mess and be on my feet.

Normal? Why not? We love our food, and nobody says we have to quit liking it just because we have to limit it. That's even more of a reason to have treats like meals out sometimes- to keep it fun, and enjoy it and to counteract the occaisional feelings of deprivation and limitations we have on our diets.

So punkin, I think it's normal, and something we have to keep an eye on. Maybe we should eat out a little more. Or plan special dinners home for ourselves. Or make more effort with cooking. I eat the dullest food, especially during the week. For a person that loves food, maybe that isn't so smart of me.

I think when I go to the grocery store I will buy more fun foods that I love. I am realistic about my DH not going out to eat. But I can get something more gooder for myself!

olives
macademia nuts
good cheese( I have this great smoked mozzarella that I bought in the city last weekend with the chicks! YUM)
sf pudding and whipped cream
small steaks
salmon
asparagus(I don't buy it much becasue it's sort of expensive now)

what are your treats?

dottie

Last edited by dottiejon; 08-10-2002 at 07:15 AM.
Old 08-10-2002, 07:58 PM   #3  
Old Cackler

i'm with you on the treat thing, dottie... and since i eat so little, i've decided that whatever few bites i have are GREAT ones. so i treated myself to a small lobster for lunch, and have the rest for another time!

it's made such a difference in my attitude about this whole thing. and when i talk with other wls folks, some are really miserable because they're not eating what they want, but rather eating the same old same old. and it stares us in the face for DAYS!!! your luscious little steaks will be enjoyed for a meal, maybe two at most.. we get to stare at it for 4!!!!

hmmm. this is a big issue, i think.. maybe we should make this a new thread???
Old 08-10-2002, 09:36 PM   #4  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Yes! New thread coming up!
Hope to heck I don't lose stuff this time!
Old 08-10-2002, 10:36 PM   #5  

Oh eating, eating eating--my worst enemy and best friend at the same time! I can honestly say I also get angry when I can't have the things I so desperately look forward to. I find myself falling off program when I feel like I am doing without or sacrificiing when others can have whatever they please--doesn't matter who, could be anyone. The food makes me feel like I'm in control, I can choose to have the good yummy thing and therefore I am special because of it. It is completely irrational to think this way but I really have tied some very powerful emotions to my food. Slowly I am extracating myself from this and it is really hard to do. There are days where I have had a day from **** and all I want is something to make me feel good--usually food. I wish that I had something else to replace this relationship I have with food, some other thing I can look to to give me solace and comfort on bad days. I guess that's why I come here, because all of you know how rough it can really be.
Old 08-10-2002, 10:43 PM   #6  

Well, Sherry-babe...you got me on this one! You done opened a whole can of worms and gave me more fish to fry!

Consider this:

Friday morning I am sitting and pining for the beach but alas and alack I have a list of house hold chores that go up the ying and down the yang. Now, since I don't really know where the ying and the yang are and have pretty much decided that for that particular day I will search for the ying and yang (remember, I am easily amused!), I thought perhaps I should take a break from my quest to call my mom who is at my "not jiff" sister's house and wish her a happy birthday.

So....I do! soo.....I speak to my sister who lives in Virginia and she says, "Why don't you come for cake?"

(you see where this is going?")

So....dh walks in the door and I say (knowing that his idea of a really swell time is to pack us all up and drive...no kidding...he is NUTS) "Honey, not jiff asked us to come down for cake!"

so .....we pack up and go.....and yes, I wanted to see my sister and yes I wanted to say happy birthday to my mom in person....BUT BIG BUTTTTT.....

I WANTED CAKE!

so.....we drove 5 hours and had CAKE!

sheeeeesh....do you think I have a little food problem?

love ya!
peach

Last edited by peach pit; 08-10-2002 at 10:49 PM.
Old 08-13-2002, 01:18 PM   #7  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Height: 5' 10"

Okay here's one.

Last week my eldest sister said she would take me out for my birthday to dinner/lunch. It was a friday afternoon and I said to her...lets go now. Talk about obsession. She said okay I'll call you when I'm ready to leave. I waited and waited....got so angry that I told her to forget it. Like I had to eat that second or it wasn't going to be any good or like I would explode if I didn't.

Talk about sick !!!!

Your not alone thats for sure.

Love, Leens
Old 08-13-2002, 05:42 PM   #8  

LEENS!

Next time call me! I can be there in an hour and will eat lunch anytime after 10 am, and dinner anytime after noon! Especially on Friday!
love, dottie
Old 08-13-2002, 06:32 PM   #9  
Old Cackler

LEENIE!!!! does this mean that we missed your birthday????

peachie... dottiej... samnrosies grandma... what are we going to do about this?? especially in a discussion about GOING OUT TO LUNCH?????
Old 08-13-2002, 10:23 PM   #10  

Smile

Yes! Jiff! I think that girl does deserve a birthday lunch!!!!

want cake?

peach
Old 08-13-2002, 10:40 PM   #11  
Old Cackler

chocolate mousse cake????
Old 08-13-2002, 10:44 PM   #12  
Old Cackler

Default i ALMOST don't want to mention this..

but only ALMOST, so here we go.

these posts are not only about wanting celebration food, but also about FAMILY disappointments... especially from SISTERS... is this something important to look at? does the food have some special meaning because we'd share it with a family member that we don't always see as much as we'd like to?

or what?

any thoughts? or do you want me to go back to lurking because i'm too stressed and tired to think straight?
Old 08-13-2002, 11:07 PM   #13  
workin' my way back down

Yummmmmmmmmm... chocolate mousse cake from Veniero's for Leenie's birthday cake!!!!! COUNT ME IN!!!!! ... (this from the person who just got home from a ball game where she consumed 2 hotdogs with buns, a beer and a bag of crackerjack!!!!! Thank heavens I don't go to ballgames every week!!!

Jif -- I think you've hit on something there..... I know that I don't get to see my sister near enough (hardly ever,in fact, and she only lives in Westchester!! ).... and the really sad thing is that she is really my only living family (not counting dh and the kids!).
Old 08-14-2002, 07:23 AM   #14  

S/C/G: 242.5/193.4/170

Height: 5'9"

At first I thought I was disappointed because she didn't include me. Then I realized that I was really angry about missing the meal! Maybe it has to do with some old sibling rivalry? I don't know, but it is nice to know I'm not alone!! Thanks, guys!
Old 08-14-2002, 08:21 AM   #15  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Height: 5' 10"

Yup it was my B-Day last week...... oh the old bones are feeling it, especially during this humid weather.

CAKE ? who mentioned cake ? hehehehe.

Today I am eating hard boiled eggs for breakfast and you mention cake wahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Anyway, I don't think anything can ruin (I hope) my day, the boss is gone and I'm free from someone breathing over my shoulder. Yahoooo.

TTYL, Love Leens

Last edited by Leens; 08-14-2002 at 08:42 AM.