Old 08-14-2002, 09:55 AM   #1  
Caden's Mommy

Height: 5'7

Default Low Carb Bars and Induction

I was just wondering - is it okay to eat the Low carb bars (EAS, Atkins, and others) during the induction phase? And, what about sugar-free jello (if i count each serving as 1 gram of carb)?

The Atkins Site has a bunch of products in their "shop" and they list the bars to be used in all 4 phases of the program, but it is not mentioned anywhere else...

Anyone with advice, especially to cure a sweet tooth during induction?
Old 08-14-2002, 10:12 AM   #2  
workin' my way back down

Hi Lucky and welcome ...

there are many chicks on this board who are way more knowledgeable than I am, but, since the Atkins bars say ok for phase 1 (induction), my thought would be it is ok, BUT only very sparringly... in other words, here is what I do. When I am absolutely desperate for "something" what I do is break an Atkins Bar into 1/4's or 1/3's... and nibble on the one piece very slowly and try to make it last all day (or all evening, as the case may be!) As for the SF jello.... it is zero carbs, and I frequently allow myself to have one a day, kind of like vitamins!!

Hope this helps in the meantime, but believe me, lots of smart chickies are gonna jump in to help you out here! Again, welcome to our little corner of 3fc!
Old 08-14-2002, 10:19 AM   #3  
Caden's Mommy

I am not getting a lot of carbs from anywhere else besides those bars - I eat mainly chicken, eggs, turkey, and tuna other than that - but, honestly, I eat 2 bars per day - I can probably cut back to one and just 1/2 at a time...

Also, I've been on induction for about a week now and feel much better, but haven't really lost any weight per say...I am going to stay on the induction plan for at least 2 more weeks, or probably until Labor Day, and then see if I get any results before moving on to phase II
Old 08-14-2002, 12:06 PM   #4  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Gee, Lucky13, where are the veggies? You should be getting up to 20 carbs per day mainly from veggies - much better for you than the Atkins bars. There is also sugarfree Jello when you need something sweet. I have never trusted those Atkins bars and their low carb count. They could be keeping you from losing weight. Are you testing for ketosis?
Old 08-14-2002, 12:19 PM   #5  
Caden's Mommy

No - I have not gotten any strips yet - I read on this message board that they have them at CVS pharmacy and I will try there today. I try to save most of my carbs for dinner time in case we go to dinner at a restaurant or something...

I will cut back on those bars (try!!) - could not eating a lot of fat even though I am eating protein be a problem as well?