Looking Good, Feeling Great Plus to Petite Shopping, the Home Spa, and Beauty Tips for Beautiful Chicks

Old 10-29-2010, 12:45 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 240/ticker/140

Height: 5'4"

Default What is the best 'cheap' bra??

Since I'm in the middle of losing weight I hate spending alot on bras. I was excited I could finally fit in Victoria Secret bras again this summer and picked up a few at their semi-annual clearance but both are getting too big for me now. I'd like to get some cheap 'in between' bras as I lose weight but I find everytime I buy a cheap bra it just gets so uncomfortable I end up going back to the one that is too big (or too small before) because those were more expensive and fit better than the one that 'fit' but was cheap. I was thinking about just going to the VS website to see what they have on sale/clearance but I'd rather go to a store and try it on and I'm pretty sure nothing is on sale at the stores now.

Any ideas? My biggest thing is keeping stupid straps up and being supportive (I will probably be a 36DD since current bras are 38DD).

Thanks!
ElizabethG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 12:50 PM   #2  
I love my muscles!

S/C/G: 169/149/135

Height: 5' 5 1/4"

Try hitting up TJ Maxx or Ross. They always have good name brand bras for less than $10!
pinkflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 12:56 PM   #3  

Hrmm, I've never tried their bras. I always thought since supposedly the clothes were irregulars the bras would be funky. But we have a TJMaxx so I will check that out! Thanks!
Old 10-29-2010, 01:14 PM   #4  
I was born this way hey!

S/C/G: Not telling/Shh/150

Height: 5'3

JC Penny has nice bras under $20

Last edited by Shopaholic1204; 10-29-2010 at 01:14 PM.
Shopaholic1204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 02:53 PM   #5  

Sadly there is no good cheap bra to go to, and the bigger/saggier they are, the worse it is to find one. I have had such a terrible time finding bras, because of a small band/large breast combination, and modern bra fitting is terrible and often incorrect. When I find ones that fit, I buy two, and suck it up and wash them often. It's just not worth buying the junk. And you have to try them all on anyway, so no grabbing by size, they are all cut differently.

I have VS now (34DD) and they are the BEST fitting bras I have ever had, EVER, expensive or otherwise, and they aren't really that bad at about 45 bucks a pop (which isn't really that bad, I just hate spending money on necessities rather than fun stuff, haha).

All I can suggest is going back to VS if you know they fit and buying 1-2 that are snug on the loosest hooks, and go from there as you lose. If the cups start to be too big, you can always get cheap inserts to fill them out until you are ready to buy new ones.

Last edited by Tarisaande; 10-29-2010 at 02:55 PM.
Tarisaande is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 02:57 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 191/Ticker/140

Height: 5'3" Age 51

No such thing unless you are a B cup or smaller.
AnnieDrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 03:31 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 326/274/190

Height: 5'6"

TJ Maxx! They have great brands like Bali and Maidenform and they are usually under $15. They are not irregulars or seconds - I'm not sure how TJ Maxx gets their stuff but everything they sell is first quality. And they have a huge selection of bras for us girls with bigger ta ta's.
odonnela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 03:49 PM   #8  
Tiff

S/C/G: 322/ticker/175

Height: 5' 7"

do you have a gabriel brothers in your area. i pick up nice bras there on occasion
pipernoswiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 09:16 PM   #9  
I love my muscles!

S/C/G: 169/149/135

Height: 5' 5 1/4"

Yup TjMaxx is 1st quality and I'm a 34dd--have had 2 pregnancies/nursed 2 babies and need the lift for sure!!

Last edited by pinkflower; 10-29-2010 at 09:17 PM.
pinkflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 10:24 PM   #10  
Staying the Same

S/C/G: 160+/116-120/maintainer

Height: 5'5

What about Target? They have some cuter styles in bigger sizes.
krampus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 03:45 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 235/149/135

Height: 5'5

I'm a 36 F at the moment and I highly suggest ebay! I live abroad in Japan and can't even buy bras in store. I found a model that works for me and buy lots of them.
elleohelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 03:49 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 184/150/130

Height: 5'2

I have found some nice sports bras at kohls for dirt cheap... mostly under 15 bucks.
I also found one 80 percent off for 3.50, and it was great and has lasted for about 3 months so far.
totsandfries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 11:22 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 181/*ticker*/130

I'm a 38DD and I find great bras at Target...and for like $10.99!
coffeebean267 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 02:45 AM   #14  

S/C/G: 183/maintaining 135ish

Height: 5'6"

Honey, if you are really a DD, you don't want cheap bras. You need to spend some bucks to support those girls, and they are worth it. You don't have to get a lot of bras; two good ones that you take care of will be fine for the moment. (You are hand-washing them in gentle dishwashing liquid and hang-drying them, my darling, aren't you? Although I have on occasion deliberately used a ho washer-dryer to shrink a cotton-mix bra down to a better size, especially as they tend to stretch over time.)

First, make sure you are really the size you think you are. If straps or bands or cups are cutting or shifting or falling down or riding up, you are either not wearing the right size or right style. Don't trust those teenage assistants and their pretend measuring tapes in Victoria's Secret. They don't really care what size you are, and often they don't have a clue about fitting, they just need to get you into some bra to earn their pay. I see way too many young ladies who are not wearing the right size bra or one that's not supportive enough, and I blame VS to a large extent. Even their MODELS are not wearing the right size, for God's sake. You are not supposed to be squishing up out of your cups in your everyday bra. (Middle aged lady rant -- but people can tell, believe me. In the right bra, an FF lady can look perkier than a C.) You can also use this website to self-diagnose if you don't want to be fitted: Bravissimo.

Go to a Kohls or other department store that has a wide range of sizes and styles, and try at least one cup and band size up and down from 36DD. (Even better if you actually go to a department store where someone will fit you, ideally an older lady who looks like she's been around the block a bit.) Lane Bryant is also good for larger cups, and their bras have a lot of spandex in them, so some of their 36s are actually equivalent to a 34 when they're new. I'm wearing one right now! They always have something on clearance or buy this get this free. I'm not crazy about the Target bras because they're clearly originally engineered for a B-cup and then sized up; the material is too flimsy and they rarely have more than 2 hooks in the back. I do buy their sports bras, but for lying around the house days rather than sports.

When you try the bra on, get the one that fits properly hooked at its widest extent; then as the materials wears and stretches with time you can make it tighter. Jump up and down, wave your arms, toe touches, some jogging around in the fitting room; if anything moves significantly, something is not right. (Needing to do a few manual adjustments and forward bends to get the girls to settle properly into the cups is fine and normal for C+ girls when first putting on the bra, however. Comedienne Brett Butler used to do a wonderful demonstration of this.)

Bali and Olga are also good "cheap" bras for boobalicious ladies; once you get the right size you can get them in Kohls at buy 2-get-1-free deals, outlet malls, and also TJ Maxx.

Love,

Your 34 DD (formerly 38 FF before the reduction) friend,
BronzeAger

Last edited by bronzeager; 11-06-2010 at 03:21 AM.
bronzeager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 03:49 PM   #15  

Thanks everyone!! I've tried various ones from Target and Kohl's with no luck. They fit fine in the store but then I wear them a full day and not comfy. I guess I was looking more for a brand than a store.

VS IPEX and Body by Victoria are the best bras for me for support and comfort. I guess I just need to dig in and buy them. I wonder if they have a black friday sale. lol Even when I was bigger and HAD to wear Lane Bryant bras (42DD at one point) I never really found them nearly as comfortable or supportive but maybe i was just in the wrong size.

BronzeAger-I've looked online and measured myself I'm between a 36 and 38 DD based on those measurements. (meaning I should probably be a 38 since you're supposed to go up to next even integer, but mine are getting too big but maybe they are just stretched out. I only have 2 bras that really fit me and i alternate and wash in gentle cycle). Also awhile back I got measured by an older lady at Dillards and she's the one who put me in a 38DD and I've lost at least 15-20 lbs since then.

I went to that website and was thinking about all my bras but I think they finally just all fit in the last category...'old bra' lol I guess its time to get some new. Thank you so much for the brand suggestions. Perhaps I will go try those first before going to VS and spending 100+ for a few new ones.

LOL on jumping around in the fitting room. That's too funny. All your comments were very helpful!

Thank you!!!