Looking Good, Feeling Great Plus to Petite Shopping, the Home Spa, and Beauty Tips for Beautiful Chicks

Old 06-18-2008, 06:03 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 220/170/150

Height: 5ft 6in

Default Pantyhose

When I was younger, it seemed most girls wore pantyhose when getting dressed up. It seems that fewer and fewer women wear pantyhose these days, preferring to go with bare legs or maybe thigh-highs when wearing a dressy outfit.

I feel like something's missing if I don't wear pantyhose with a nice skirt or dress. Maybe it's just me....what are your thoughts?

....deedee....
deedeesugar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 08:22 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 297/137/150

I love having bare legs or wearing thigh highs. But some outfits just require me to wear pantyhose. They help smooth out all the bumps left by my weight loss.
Ophelia924 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 08:59 AM   #3  

S/C/G: HW:200+/LW:120/CW:142

Height: 5'1 and a 1/2" (yes the 1/2" matters!)

This may be regional. My sister live in the Midwest and is required by her office dress code to wear hose if she's wearing a skirt. I lived in Florida for years and owned maybe one pair of hose that whole time - I never wore them, and neither did most women (although the "older" generation - 60 and up, I would say, did).
JenMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 09:06 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

I like panty hose when wearing a dress and heels, but I went to a wedding this last weekend all the bridesmaids wore streetlength dresses and toeless and heeless shoes. They all looked great. Of course they all had great legs and beautiful tans.

Last edited by bargoo; 08-17-2008 at 11:55 AM.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 09:12 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 285/ticker/140

Height: 5'7"

If I had thin, tanned, toned, sexy legs, I wouldn't wear hose either. They are uncomfortable. But as my legs are always going to be fish-belly-white, and probably will never be toned and sexy...I'll keep wearing hose. Bleh.
Darkblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 09:30 AM   #6  
Operator265

Nylon hose make one's legs look sleek and beautiful. I still love them. I've had nice legs at any weight, but I would never dress up w/o them.
Old 06-18-2008, 09:58 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 188/188/175

Height: 5'5"

Bag 'em! Pantyhose age you (and show your age)! It was a conscious decision on my part to divorce myself from pantyhose and the first few times without them was difficult. I was pretty self-conscious. But I was also very much more comfortable so it was worth the change. I spend the money I would have used for hose on pedicures so I can show off my bare legs and cute toes with great sandals. If I feel like I need some smoothing, I bring out the Spanx.

So I say shave, lotion up, and join the revolution!
BoiseShan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 11:00 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 160/160/115

Height: 5'2"

I haven't worn pantyhose since I was about 12 years old... I switched to the thigh-highs during my teenage years, but only when it was cold outside. These days, it could be -20 degrees and I still go bare, just can't stand them. It also lets me show off my tattoo on my ankle.

If I'm looking particularly pale, I'll just fake tan in advance (or use that lotion that has a little bit of tanner).
mayness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 11:11 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 220/170/150

Height: 5ft 6in

Thanks for the opinions! These days, I usually wear pantyhose only when really dressing up. It just makes me feel more "dressed", if you know what I mean. I have a 12 year old daughter, and she thinks I'm nuts to be wearing those "awful things". When I was 12, my mother made it mandatory if we were going out anywhere...times change!

In the summer (I live in upstate NY, so winters are COLD) I often go with bare legs. I like to get a pedicure 2 or 3 times in the summer, and it's nice to show off my toes with capris and a pair of sandals.

In winter, I wear jeans and longer skirts a lot, so I usually wear pantyhose or even tights so my legs and feet feel warmer.

I know what you mean by "regional". You lucky southern girls have summer all year, and you see a lot more bare legs.

....deedee....

Last edited by deedeesugar; 06-18-2008 at 11:12 AM.
deedeesugar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 03:05 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 196/160/125

Height: 5'5"

I live in the south but in the winter, i prefer stockings with dresses. But in the summer, i like to wear some self tanner and go without stockings. Usually as long as it isn't an above the knee skirt or dress. My company doesn't seem to mind the bare legged dress....i see lots of bare legs.
lumifan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 06:05 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 229/220/170

Height: 6'0'

I'll wear tights in the winter to keep warm. I work with little kids who grab my legs all day, lol, so I need something more run-resistant than hose. But yeah, growing up, hose was the grownup thing to wear.
chickybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 09:45 PM   #12  
Choosing with every bite.

S/C/G: 212.5/182/155

Height: 5' 7"

I've lived in Florida most of my life and I'm not over 60. I also think hose looks dressy and finished. I wore pantihose even after my company went to business casual - I even wore them under pants. I switched to knee highs at some point.

It was very hard for me to see women barelegged at work and accept that as professional. I still classify some of the outfits I see especially with bare legs and flip flop type sandals as beach attire and inappropriate for work.

But, hey, I'd rather deal with that than be stuck in the past (before my time) with gloves, girdles, corsets or other restrictive clothing.
WebRover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 01:02 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 220/ticker!/155

Height: 5'9"

My mom still gets on me about wearing hose when in "dressy" situations, but she's starting to accept that times have changed and it's not a requirement anymore!!

I, too, am INCREDIBLY pale, but it doesn't really bother me. It used to, but so many people have commented on my "porcelain" or "alabaster" skin that I figure it's just a different, less mainstream beauty .

In terms of figure flattering-ness (yeah, I said it!), Spanx all the way, man. I also frequently wear Spanx when doing a show where I KNOW I'm going to be doing a quick-change backstage during applause or a scene change. That way everything's smooth on stage and nothing's too out-there backstage! Bonus: it gives me something REALLY secure to fix my mic pack to!
artsnsmarts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 10:42 AM   #14  

S/C/G: 207/212/155

Height: 5'9

I hate panty hose. I can't ever buy ones that are long enough. The crotch part never sits at my crotch. I need to find a good pair of spanx for under dresses though.
stellarwbz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 05:37 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 233.9/143/160

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoiseShan View Post
Bag 'em! Pantyhose age you (and show your age)! It was a conscious decision on my part to divorce myself from pantyhose and the first few times without them was difficult. I was pretty self-conscious. But I was also very much more comfortable so it was worth the change. I spend the money I would have used for hose on pedicures so I can show off my bare legs and cute toes with great sandals. If I feel like I need some smoothing, I bring out the Spanx.

So I say shave, lotion up, and join the revolution!
I don't think that pantyhose age you...I think that if they are appropriate or not, or if they age you or not, depends on the actual outfit, and the occasion in which they are being worn.

Now when I see an older woman wearing pantyhose with shorts, housedresses, and other CASUAL attire, especially if they are orangey-suntan in color, then yes, they definitely age you. On the other hand, if you are a lawyer, or a secretary in a professional office, I think that hose with your business attire are completely appropriate.

If you are a lady with great legs wearing a mini dress and heels out dancing, or shopping in a mini skirt or summer dress with sandals...then go bare legged. On the other hand, if you are a young lady doing an internship in a professional setting, wear hose or tights and nice dress shoes. (NOT flip flops or Doc Marten leather sandals with big, thick heels!)

If you are attending, or IN a wedding, I think that the style of gown should decide. An autumn or winter wedding with a more formal style (especially with darker color schemes such as forest green burgandy, navy, or black) would say to me "wear hose"...on the other hand, at my SIL's wedding 2 years ago, it was more casual, outdoors, and there was a lighter lavendar/lilac color scheme. Our dresses were more "summery" in style, so we all wore matching sandals with the dresses and bare legs.

Just like with anything...it is going to depend on the occasion, the time of year, and the actual outfit.

I think that wearing pantyhose with your housedress to the grocery store is going to age you...but on the other hand, wearing a mini skirt, bare legs, and informal sandals to a professional setting makes you look unprofessional and underdressed.

Just my opinion
aphil is offline   Reply With Quote