Looking Good, Feeling Great Plus to Petite Shopping, the Home Spa, and Beauty Tips for Beautiful Chicks

Old 07-22-2008, 07:12 PM   #16  
One life, live it well

S/C/G: 304|ticker|160

Height: 5'6½

Quote:
Originally Posted by aphil View Post
Now when I see an older woman wearing pantyhose with shorts, housedresses, and other CASUAL attire, especially if they are orangey-suntan in color, then yes, they definitely age you.
Had to LOL at this! This cracks me up. I actually saw an elderly woman at the gym recently with pantyhose on (not special compression ones for health reasons either) under her shorts! Personally, I ONLY wear pantyhose for special/formal occasions. Hate them!!! I work outside of our home 2 days a week, but wear scrubs. I'm not sure if I could work in a profession that required them!
Nori71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 11:07 PM   #17  

S/C/G: 260/154.6/130

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nori71 View Post
Had to LOL at this! This cracks me up. I actually saw an elderly woman at the gym recently with pantyhose on (not special compression ones for health reasons either) under her shorts! Personally, I ONLY wear pantyhose for special/formal occasions. Hate them!!! I work outside of our home 2 days a week, but wear scrubs. I'm not sure if I could work in a profession that required them!
I am guilty of wearing black leggins once with my shorts because I hate my cellulite legs lol. I haven't worn them again. Besides that one time, I hate pantyhose, but I do like the tummy sucker shorts by Spanx lol
Sarah Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 11:48 PM   #18  
One life, live it well

S/C/G: 304|ticker|160

Height: 5'6½

LOL! Speaking of leggings I actually saw 2 teenage girls working out with leggings under their shorts the other day at the gym. I figured it was a fashion statement. They didn't have anything to cover up - if you kwim.
Nori71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 12:43 AM   #19  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nori71 View Post
LOL! Speaking of leggings I actually saw 2 teenage girls working out with leggings under their shorts the other day at the gym. I figured it was a fashion statement. They didn't have anything to cover up - if you kwim.

Oh it is totally a fashion statement at my university. I was stupid at first because I would ask oh did you just work out and none of them would say yes LOL. It was really hot outside too so I did not understand the logic of leggins under a mini skirt or the shorts *shrugs*. If it were cold, it would be understandable, but 110 heat index and 100 percent humidity..no thanks.

A girl did tell me once that she felt more comfortable with leggings because she could be more comfortable doing weight machines like the inner and outer thigh machines where the whole world can say hello. She also felt more comfortable with the elliptical and didn't have to worry at the guys staring at the booty lol.I understand that p.o.v.
Old 07-23-2008, 01:07 AM   #20  

S/C/G: 237/165.8/130

I'm 40 and haven't worn pantyhose since ... oh ... '92? I think that was the last job I had that required them. And I live in the oh-so-conservative deep south, where ladies still wear hats and gloves to church.

I have worn thigh-highs, but that's more for the sexy factor, than for the need to wear hose.

And in the winter I wear dark patterned tights.

PhotoChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 01:12 AM   #21  

S/C/G: 220/ticker!/155

Height: 5'9"

I FREQUENTLY wear leggings under skirts, just because I think it's more comfortable. Also, it sort of smooths things out, which is GREAT!

My roommate freshman year of college wore spandex under her shorts to the gym for that same reason -- she didn't want to have to worry about being caught doing an unflattering exercise and give the college community a free show!! I've always worn longer, knee-length stuff to the gym so I don't have to worry abou tthat, but I totally get where she's coming from.

But tights under shorts?? Walking around in public? Not in the gym? ABSOLUTELY NOT!
artsnsmarts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 07:23 AM   #22  

S/C/G: 155/118/118

Height: 5'2

I agree with Aphil. There's a time and a place where pantyhose are (or should be) expected and give a more dressed up or professional look to your outfit. Thigh highs don't cut it for me... they're always sliding down my legs. And to go with the whole garter/tape/thigh high thing is just ridiculous when you're going to work.

Personally, I think it's kind of gross when I see all of the women at work with bare legs--most of them have thick pasty legs that I think would look better (not to mention more professional) with pantyhose. But then again, this is just one symptom of the "de-formalization" of society, isn't it? Personally I think it's a shame that nobody dresses up anymore. We look like a country of slobs.

And just for the record, there are some good pairs of nude pantyhose out there that make your legs look fantastic and don't make you look like the old lady at the grocery store.
jellydisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 07:29 AM   #23  

S/C/G: 233.9/143/160

Height: 5'7"

Oh yes-when I do wear hose, if they are not a dark colored tight (black or chocolate brown) then I always go for the very sheer nude color. The suntan-orangey color is so 70's.
aphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 07:40 AM   #24  

S/C/G: 237/165.8/130

Quote:
We look like a country of slobs.
Wow. Nice.

When I wear a nice skirt and top and cute heels, and no hose, I CERTAINLY don't look like a "slob".

Wow.

PhotoChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 08:20 AM   #25  

S/C/G: 233.9/143/160

Height: 5'7"

I don't think she meant anything personal.

I think that it is just a general thing. For instance, when I go to the mall shopping, I see tons of people who look like "slobs" for a lack of a better word. Even if they are wearing $100 pants and $200 shoes, the in look a lot of times is still sorta "slob".

I mean, if I were a foreign exchange student from India or somewhere where clothing styles were completely different...and I came here to see:

~The mass of bare legs.
~Men and teenage boys in their "4 sizes too big pants belted UNDER their bums" with their underwear hanging out 5 inches.
~The women walking around in tanks and tees with no bras.
~Low rise jeans with tight baby t-shirts and bellies and muffin tops hanging over.
~The Doc Marten sandals or flip flops as "dress" sandals with chipped toenail polish.
~Brand new Abercrombie and other premium jeans selling for $80 that already looked like my husband drug them behind his Harley for 20 miles.
~Women with the t-back of their thongs peeking out of their low rise jeans.
~The "cut off" jean shorts
~The "cut off" flannel shirts and t-shirts made into tank tops

I would probably have the same perception at a glance, too.

Obviously it does not mean that every single person dresses that way, but you know how it is, and what you see when you are out somewhere.

It is just the fact that our society is so less formal (and even proper) in some ways than others are...and what is acceptable now, the standards just keep getting lower, and lower.

If you look at the generations of our parents and grandparents...things were just different, and everything just keeps getting more and more relaxed, and I don't think that it is always a good thing. No one in my grandfather's generation would go into a business in super casual attire, talking slang, and expect to get hired. Now, they do. People go into a business in ripped jeans, with children, or their "ride" (instead of driving themselves) with them, acting unprofessional, and expect to get hired. People go to weddings and funerals and church in jeans-something that people used to dress up for. Dinnertime used to be family time, not time to shovel it in while talking on the phone or text messaging someone. Child rearing, and what is acceptable, has even changed. I see 5 and 7 year old kids running around the neighborhood at all hours...with no adult in sight. Instead of great television programming, we have mindless reality shows about bimbos and players.

It is a shame, really...

I can totally see why some, at a general glance, would see us as slobs. I do.

It doesn't mean that there are not well educated, well dressed, and well mannered members of our society out there-we just are not the ones often seen on the media.

I think the slob comment was a generalization, and definitely not anything personal.
aphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 08:28 AM   #26  
Freedom in living

S/C/G: ?/ticker/180

Height: 5'2"

BINGO - Well stated Aphil.

I love the boys & some girls who look like they have never seen a hair brush. Very matted cave man. And to think they actually spend time to make it look that way. My kids think its funny that I have a hair brush by the door and they all get a quick brushing before we leave any where.
JuliaDH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 12:14 PM   #27  

Quote:
Originally Posted by artsnsmarts View Post
I FREQUENTLY wear leggings under skirts, just because I think it's more comfortable. Also, it sort of smooths things out, which is GREAT!

My roommate freshman year of college wore spandex under her shorts to the gym for that same reason -- she didn't want to have to worry about being caught doing an unflattering exercise and give the college community a free show!! I've always worn longer, knee-length stuff to the gym so I don't have to worry abou tthat, but I totally get where she's coming from.

But tights under shorts?? Walking around in public? Not in the gym? ABSOLUTELY NOT!
You live in the appropriate weather for the leggings/mini skirt outfit. When I see it here in very hot, humid weather, I cringe because it is not good for circulation if you get my drift I wish I lived in colder weather, so I could do it lol.
Old 07-23-2008, 09:32 PM   #28  
Carrie ♥

S/C/G: 218/184/140

Height: 5'3"

I never wear panyhose.. only because alllll of my dress shoes are "thong" style.. So if I wore pantyhose I wouldn't be able to wear my shoes.. Other than that I like how they look & almost everyone I know won't dress up w/o them!
Carrie04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008, 09:56 AM   #29  

S/C/G: 181/166/132

Height: 5'9

Not living all year round summer, of course I wear tights, mostly opaque black, in the cold months.

As for bare legs or not with formal dress - I've usually gone bare legged in the warmer months, and worn sheer hose in the winter (bare legs in freezing temperatures is just plain wrong IMO). But the last time I needed to dress up I found some sheer glossy hose that made my legs look fabulous. So I might be going with hose in the future, regardless of season.
BlondeAmbition08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008, 01:31 PM   #30  

S/C/G: 229/220/170

Height: 6'0'

I agree with Aphil; I don't think it was meant personally. But sometimes, you do see some people who may be wearing the same outfit, but one person looks nice, and the other looks sloppy.
And, ugh, there is no excuse for people's thong underwear to hang out of their jeans. I think thongs are fine, but I don't want to see anyone's underwear in public.
chickybird is offline   Reply With Quote