Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 11-21-2006, 04:55 AM   #121  
aka Superwoman!

S/C/G: SW:226/16st - about 50lbs lost

Height: 5'8"

(minding the sore bits of course) Poor lilly. I hope your pain goes soon. I'm glad DS is sorted with his cash - sounds like he'll have a happy christmas!
2frustrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 08:29 AM   #122  

Lily
Sorry to hear you feel so beat up but very good news on the $$ front for yourself and your ds. We have savings bonds for the kids. I'm hoping they will have them to get started or go to school, but maybe I should save them back incase they hit a hard stretch. Something to think about anyway.
joyofsix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 10:14 AM   #123  

Hi ho,

I'm afraid I've been missing in action lately, but I could not let the Thanksgiving Holiday come and go without telling you all how thankful I am that you are part of my life. I was trying to explain the 3FC community to DH the other day and discovered that I could hardly do it justice. He is very supportive, but I think it's hard for him -- and many others -- to grasp how important this board is and how meaningful the relationships, even if they are "virtual." The connectedness and kinship that I feel here is as tangible as my relationship, say, with my brother or the best friends I relate to "face to face." So, Happy Thanksgiving everyone, whether or not your observe the holiday. May your day be peaceful and filled with love.
Airegrrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 10:25 AM   #124  
slow and steady

S/C/G: 185/see signature/135

Height: 5'4"

Lily - I hope your side doesn't hurt so much tomorrow! Good to hear about your son getting out of debt. I just paid off my student loans and it was definitely a good feeling.

So those two pounds I had gained that I was trying to get rid of? Instead of getting rid of them, they turned into three pounds. I'm trying to figure out what I'm doing wrong, since I don't feel like I've really changed my routine lately. A little of it might be TOM gain but I usually don't have more than 1lb of that since I am on birth control, and it's a little early for the TOM gain anyway (I would expect it more next week).

Here are some things I thought of that might be contributors -- do you guys think I'm crazy or could these actually be affecting my weight?

- Water. I feel like I drink water all day but I have been using small cups instead of my nalgene bottle so I haven't really been measuring the amount. Today I brought in my nalgene and I've had almost 500ml so far.

- Loss of muscle mass. Due to my wrist problems I stopped lifting weights, and due to a grumpy knee I stopped my leg strengthening. I know my body composition has changed and I'm thinking maybe the loss of some muscle has dropped my metabolism? I don't really know what's wrong with my knees -- I feel like an old lady since it hurts the most when the weather is bad. It also clicks when I walk sometimes, but it doesn't hurt 90% of the time. Maybe strengthening it would actually help. I'm doing physical therapy for my wrists and hopefully I can do weights again soon.

- Oil. When I was losing, I never used oil in cooking, just spray. Then I added back oil because I thought I wasn't getting enough fat in my diet. The past few months I haven't been measuring the oil I use to cook, just eyeballing it, and chances are I'm putting in more than my recipes call for. I know oil has a lot of calories so this might be a source of "hidden" calories.

- Lack of exercise. I feel like I'm going to the gym regularly (MWF) but I have to be honest with myself and point out that for several weeks in a row I have had things come up that had to be dealt with and interfered with my workout schedule (pretty much entirely wedding stuff). Also, I used to run which was a great workout but I am afraid of injuring my knees so now I walk or use the stair climber. Sometimes if I am lazy I will do a workout on FitTV but it's usually yoga or something that is not really cardio.

- Stress? Winter? I dunno. Winter makes me homesick for LA and the wedding planning is becoming more stressful. Yesterday I found out that we might not be able to have our wedding at the place we wanted to. I was hungry all day and I bet it was because of stress. I feel like I made good choices with my food (after I ate all my usual snacks - banana, apple, and yogurt - I got baked Lay's to tide me over which is only 130 calories for a bag, instead of the frosted strawberry poptarts that I really wanted to eat).

Anyway I'm really hoping that I can figure this out and lose these three pounds. I'm open to advice!

Also, Happy Thanksgiving! I know I'm thankful that I'm not heavier than I was last Thanksgiving!
paperclippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 11:05 AM   #125  

Height: 5'7"

Paperclippy, sounds like you've just done yourself a big favor by figuring out what is causing the pounds to come on. Sometimes I think my biggest problem is kidding myself, or rationalizing the real issues away. Also, thanks for posting this:
Quote:
Originally Posted by paperclippy View Post
Also, Happy Thanksgiving! I know I'm thankful that I'm not heavier than I was last Thanksgiving!
I've been struggling this month; I think my post-partum weight-loss pass has expired and now it is back to WORK. So work I will. But that quote gave me a much needed burst of perspective this morning.

Robin, I always look forward to your next post! Thank you for being here. Thank you everyone. This is the only place I know of where successful maintainers come to share their successes and issues, and I find it helps so much.

I'm doing a 5K Turkey trot on Thursday. I'll use 400 calories doing it, give or take. My goal is not to use this modest bit of exercise count as a license to eat. I'm also going to go over the holiday threads after DD goes to bed and make some commitments to myself for the holidays.

Anne
AnneWonders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 01:50 PM   #126  
lilybelle

S/C/G: 234/142/145

Height: 5'7

Hi everyone. I am also very thankful for all of you for the support and encouragement that I receive here at 3FC's. It has been a real blessing for me. I'm thankful that I'm smaller than I was at Thanksgiving last yr. (I was 175 at that time). I'm definitely healthier and on fewer med's than in previous yrs.

I found out this morning that I have two Thanksgiving dinners tomorrow. Lunch at my sisters and dinner at my MIL's. I love to see family, but free-for-all food situations are stressful for me.

I have a recipe for LC sugar-free fudge made with Splenda. So, tonite I'm going to try making this and if it turns out good, I'll take some to all my family. Has anyone ever tried making a lemon pie with Splenda? I would like to try this at Christmas.

paperclippy, WTG on getting student loans paid off. It took me several yrs. to pay mine off. We're still paying on DH's.

I have to go to the store again today. I forgot to buy tape to wrap presents and clothes boxes. I did remember lots of wrapping paper.

Thanks everyone, my side is better this morning. I've just been over-doing it with the exercise, the shopping and the house cleaning chores. I had my DD to do breakfast dishes this AM. I'm bad to do all the work myself and not ask the kids to help much.

paperclippy, I'm having some problem with the scale creep too. I have now cut my portions of breakfast meats in half. Hoping that this will help a little. My exercise is way up right now. I feel like I'm gaining muscle after months of inactivity. I really have to force myself to drink water. Coffee is my beverage of choice.
lilybelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2006, 10:36 AM   #127  

Meg, congrats on going for sushi over birthday cake. What a healthy and yummy alternative. Sure wish we had sushi around here! I'm happy you had a happy day - it was fun reading everyone's birthday wishes. You inspire and motivate so many.

Lily, glad you're feeling better. Good luck with your two dinners. I can't personally recommend a lemon pie recipe, but if you google "sugar free lemon pie," you might find one to your liking.

Hang in there, Paperclippy. I think the bulk of this battle is being aware of your eating and exercise efforts and it sounds like you are. Do you have access to an elliptical? I find they are so much kinder to my knees.

Anne, your Turkey Trot sounds so great. What a wonderful opportunity to exercise on the big day. Have fun! Hope your headache and your DD's Roseola has improved.

Robin, you sound so wise and kind. I'm thankful you are a part of this forum and I always enjoy (and get something out of) your posts. Happy T-day.

I'll never forget the day I got to throw away my big grandma panties and buy pretty undies and bras. So much fun.

I had a maintenance milestone yesterday that was also a lot of fun. I bought a "little black dress" that is actually LITTLE! It's fitted and sleeveless and my husband showered me with compliments (using that enjoyable word "skinny" that I eat up) when I tried it on for him. He was even happier when I told him it was a $100 dress marked down to $15!! We have a formal fundraising function to go to on Tuesday and I'm so excited to wear my little black bargain.

Happy Thanksgiving, everyone. I'm feeling unusually calm and in control so far. I just need to remember not to drink too much. After a couple of drinks, my "happies" tend to obscure my determination to stay in control. I'm only one pound outside of my maintenance range and I don't want to blow it. Getting my workout in and sticking to a 2-drink maximum will be key. I also have to remember that tomorrow is not about perfection, it's about staying in focus.

Good luck everyone and enjoy your day.
karynlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2006, 01:37 PM   #128  
lilybelle

I made my LC fudge last night. It's very good. The recipe is from a Light and Tasty magazine. I'll be taking some to my family for Thanksgiving. I like to cook but I don't want to have it sitting around my house. Also sending a batch of fudge to DH's work, those men love to eat sweets.

I'm heading to JC Penney's to buy a body shaper. I want to look really good tomorrow. Many of my distant relatives have not seen me in a yr. I have a black dress that is very form fitting that I want to look great in.

I'm staying on track with exercise and it feels good.

My DH made hints last night that he is planning on getting me and exercise bike for Christmas. I'm going to hint that I'd rather have the elliptical machine instead.
Old 11-22-2006, 01:49 PM   #129  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

Thinking that reading encouraging things on the net was more productive than having a nap, I went looking at personal weight loss pages ... Sad really. Most end before they've begun.
I'm so glad you're here ... maintainers, losers, 3FC ....
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2006, 01:52 PM   #130  

Paperclippy-You sound like you've really thought about what is going on. That is part of the battle that I think is hardest to fight.

Lily-Glad you're feeling better and that the fudge was tasty. I'm sure you'll look great tomorrow.

Anne-I wanted to do a Turkey Trot walk/run here, but couldn't afford the entry for all my kids and couldn't very well leave them alone, lol.

Karynlee-The dress sounds great. I need to find something to wear to dh's Christmas party this year. What I've worn for the last two years is too big, no that that is a bad thing.

I'll be going to my dad's tomorrow with my kids. My dh has to work :-(. I'm going to try to keep it to one plate of really good stuff and one dessert. I'm bringing a fruit tray so I know I'll have that if the munchies strike. Happy Thanksgiving everyone. I am thankful to have found this site and all of you.
joyofsix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2006, 06:14 PM   #131  
lilybelle

I bought the body shaper thing. OMG this thing is tight. I feel like I have a tight swimsuit under my clothes. It does flatten my tummy, so I'll take it. I never liked girdles because they would roll down over my fat. This thing isn't going anywhere. LOL. I tried my black slinky dress on and it looks great now. Yeah.

I weighed today after breakfast and 2 cups of coffee and was glad to see that it still showed 143. I'm only weighing twice a week. I splurged and bought me a bunch of new make-up today and new shoes to wear with my dress.
Old 11-23-2006, 05:47 AM   #132  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

Happy Thanksgiving my friends. Walk lots today and stand and chat faaar faaar away from the cookie trays!
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2006, 06:18 AM   #133  
Meg

Happy Thanksgiving!

I've been up baking pies and wrapping Christmas presents for people to take home with them. My plan is to eat low-cal/low-carb until dinner and then have a little taste of the things I like best, being very picky. I've decided that I don't like mashed potatoes enough to spend the calories but do like stuffing. I'm going to try to avoid the pies entirely on the theory that a small piece wil only set me up for wanting to eat THE WHOLE THING and I just don't feel like dealing with cravings.

The new dresses sound fabulous! A little black halter dress was my fantasy dress for reaching goal too.

I was thinking about what I'm thankful for today and came up with my family and health, of course. And I'm so, so thankful for finally getting rid of the weight ... that was a ton of baggage that I carried around for too many years. I don't think I'll ever stop marveling at the miracle of being slim after a lifetime of obesity. It never gets old, does it?

And I'm thankful for all of you! Have a wonderful day with your loved ones and we'll regroup and head into the rest of the holidays tomorrow.
Meg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2006, 10:52 AM   #134  
lilybelle

Happy Thanksgiving everyone! I'm waiting for DD to get ready to go. Then, off to family's we go. I doubled my walking last night and will do the same tonite and tomorrow night. I can skip the mashed potatoes and the stuffing but will have a small helping of the cheesy brocolli casserole. It's my favorite. The rest of my meal will be low carb. My MIL is making me a lemon pie, my favorite, so I will have 1 slice. That's it for dessert for me.

I am also very thankful not to be obese anymore. I weighed this morning to make sure where I'm starting this holiday at. Scale says 141. (I did buy new scales this week).

I'm very thankful that my health is improved. I'm much more active than I was. I'm also thankful my son, and DH are off work today to enjoy the holiday with family.
Old 11-24-2006, 01:41 AM   #135  
lilybelle

I made it through the 2 thanksgiving dinners. Not perfect, but not too awfully bad. Tomorrow's a new day and on the treadmill is where I will be found. LOL. Hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving.