Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 11-04-2006, 12:42 AM   #31  
lilybelle

S/C/G: 234/142/145

Height: 5'7

Thanks a lot Meg, I had no idea they could do this. I am naive to this type of thing. It makes sense, I guess healthy weight loss isn't real news. I would have been livid if they had made my wt. loss story seem like something that you described.
lilybelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2006, 06:38 AM   #32  

Hi Gang:

I love the MIL cleaning stories. I can tell my age when I read them. Now I just hand my MIL the laundry to fold. She feels like helping and you know what I need the help. This has taken years of Co-payments to come to this point.
Reg4242 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2006, 08:26 AM   #33  

Hi maintainers,

Lilly, I know exactly how you feel. I picked up my entire house before my cleaning help came. And cleaned as well before my mother cam. Now my mother, every time she comes, offers to clean up, and i say every time that i do not find it so dirty. On the other hand, I think she does this to be helpfull, and with my energy problem, I am actually glad if she comes once in a while to help out. After reading your program i was staggering... WINDOW cleaning? washing curtains ? sweeping ceilings??? And what is this stuff about making beds EVERY DAY ??? I was exhausted just reading your post.
It must be awfull if she comes in and comments after all this work. however, she might just say this because she has nothing else to say. What about the response that you find your house fine as it is? Or that as an experiment, you left the housekeeping to her son and he is still in his learning period so you must all be very patient with him?

Good luck, and enjoy the clean house!

Rabbit
4rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2006, 01:06 PM   #34  
lilybelle

Once before my MIL came unexpectedly and stayed for 2 nights. I had just finished working 5 (12hr.) night shifts in a row. Her son was out of town and me and the kids were by ourselves. She did a bunch of laundry, cleaned out my refrigerator, cleaned my silverware drawer, rearranged my kitchen cabinets, swept and mopped. I did appreciate the help. I just didn't appreciate the comments about how messy we were. I had been working and didn't have time to do the deep cleaning. Now that I'm a SAHM, she makes comments that there is no reason for this place to ever be messy. I always tell my DH that this house is too big. I have to clean it in stages. I don't have the energy to do it all everyday. I'm looking forward to when we retire and buy a small 2 bedroom place at the lake. I'm sure I could keep that perfect. I used to have a housekeeper that came once a week, but can't afford it now that I stay home. My DH did tell me last night that the house looked "absolutely beautiful" and that he will help me try to keep it this nice. But, that usually doesn't last long. He works a lot of hours and although I could use the help, I feel guilty asking him to do much. I have to say that I am sore all over this morning, after all the cleaning. My arms and shoulders really hurt from the window washing. I just wish she would understand that the reason I don't work outside the home anymore is that I have an illness that the number one symptom is severe fatigue. I'm not a lazy person.
Old 11-04-2006, 07:50 PM   #35  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

Sheila--I suppose it could be that my MIL was bored and therefore she cleaned. They spend half the year here now and are over every weekend and she no longer feels the urge to clean (although she always askes what she can do--but that's usually when I'm getting ready to prepare a meal).
Lily--I admire that you did so much work with a fatigue problem. My Mom suffers from fibromyalgia and I know she'd like to be able to do a lot more than she can. They live in a 2 story house and she' hasn't been in the basement for several years. She's gotten to the point where she CAN go downstairs, but opts not to because she's afraid of what she'd see. My Dad is VERY messy. Did I say VERY? I meant VERY, VERY messy.
Meg--that's interesting about the magazine (not that anyone would approach me) but it would be fun to talk to a reporter and deny everything and if they asked if I ate sweets, I could look at them and say "are you putting words in my mouth?" I would be like, eat healthy and exercise--it's the ONLY way!!!
Gina--you're too funny!! I haven't had to deal with any "co-pays" but I have gotten to the point where I don't have to re-do any of her work! My DH and kids know the way I like things done and she doesn't seem to see that, so I'm always re-folding the laundry or re-setting the table, but now I just smile and thank her--I realize now that it isn't that important if it isn't done to my exact specifications!
Anyway, I'm getting closer and closer to maintaining! 2 pounds to goal!
Have a great weekend everyone!
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2006, 12:36 PM   #36  
lilybelle

My DH is very messy. Every day, I can count on his glass and dinner plate being next to the computer. An ashtray that is overflowing next to it. His dirty clothes laying NEXT to the bathroom hamper. The bathrooms sink having hair in it from him shaving. Toilet lid up. His dirty socks next to his recliner. Kitchen cabinets left open from his late night snacking. Clothes hangers left in the living room where he changed clothes for work. The list goes on and on. When there is a couple kids that are just as messy, well anyone can see what I face on a daily basis.
After all my cleaning, my dog had a stomach ache the night before last. I ended up having to shampoo carpets in 3 rooms yesterday. My arms and shoulders feel like I have taken a beating.
Anyway, my eating has been terrible this weekend. I'm up 2 lbs. on the scale. I deserve it and deserve to work my butt off exercising. I feel fat and bloated. I 'm back on program today and plan to stay here. The stress finally got the best of me and I went overboard with the darn Birthday cake. I think I'll walk twice on the treadmill today and drink lots of water and see if it helps.
Old 11-05-2006, 12:54 PM   #37  
lilybelle

Can anyone recommend any type of abdominal exercises that work slowly and don't require sit-ups? I can't do those due to all my previous hernia repairs. I like my body now, I just wished my stomach area was a lot flatter. I mostly walk all the time and my hips and legs are plenty thin enough, but I have a 32 inch waist which isn't too flattering since it's about the same size as my hips. I am definitely V shaped. I wear a size 4 in jeans that are medium rise cut. I do have some higher waisted shorts and these are a size 8 to fit around my tummy. (complete with muffin top in the high waisted ones). Is it possible that due to my poorly functioning liver that it is not possible for me to flatten my tummy? I also wonder if a good part of it is "loose skin" since I had a 47 inch waist to start with? It doesn't hang down. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I can't afford a personal trainer.
Old 11-06-2006, 10:34 AM   #38  

Hi Maintainers,

Lily - Can you do crunches on a stability ball? They support your back if you cannot press your back to the ground. Also they are not expensive.
BTW You did all that cleaning with a fatigue problem? i find that icredible. i also have a fatigue problem, and I split my household chores into 3 portions, spread over 3 days, because I cannot do all in one day. Still, I do not consider my house to be dirty.

have a great day,
Rabbit
4rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2006, 12:39 PM   #39  
lilybelle

Rabbitt, crunches on stability ball is how I ended up with 2 more hernias that I had repaired in May. I just wish there was some way to help tone my stomach without this happening. I'd like to have a flatter stomach.
I also usually clean my house in stages. This past weekend, I did all that because my MIL was supposed to come. It wore me completely out. I hurt all over the rest of the weekend. Most of the time, I wouldn't have even been capable of doing that much, I think the stress/adrenaline had me pumped to get it done.

Last edited by lilybelle; 11-06-2006 at 12:58 PM.
Old 11-07-2006, 03:55 PM   #40  
lilybelle

hi everyone, I just had to share. My DH last night told me "I'm the luckiest man on earth for having such a wonderful wife". It made me feel so good. I know it had nothing to do with weight loss but it's so nice to hear that we are loved. I honestly believe that his feelings for me have never changed regardless of my weight. He has been so incredibly supportive of all that I have had to deal with. I couldnt' have ever hoped for a better spouse.
Old 11-07-2006, 08:16 PM   #41  

Hi Lily--

Your tummy shape is likely alot to do with loose skin. Can you get into a pool where you are? I've done some great abs workouts holding on to the edge or the ladder thingy. Just do crunches while hanging there by your arms, by pulling your legs up toward your abdomen. I also used to add biceps work by pulling myself up as well by the arms. Great for the core stability. Let me know if you want more details and I'll try and describe more accurately.

Your liver function as nothing to do with tummy shape, unless you're in full-blown liver failure with ascites. I doubt this very much, looking at your photo! Not an official medical opinion though... If think it's far more to do with the previous 47 inch waistline.

Well done though on your weight loss! Your hubby sounds like a great guy. Sounds like you deserve it.
boarderchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2006, 11:46 PM   #42  
lilybelle

I have checked with a gym that's 20 min's from my home and they require me to have a Dr.'s note saying that I can join. My Dr. refused and wants me to just walk. So, that is what I've been doing. I think a pool would help me. I'm sure my body could handle water exercises now. Maybe he will OK me joining a water aerobics class or something when I see him again next month.
A yr. ago my Dr. said that I did have Ascites and greatly enlarged liver and spleen but my recent CT scan showed that this has improved drastically. I think my waist does have loose skin and is larger due to the lack of abdominal exercise and the previous 47 inch waist. I actually think my problem was more FAT than Ascites. But, I'm not the doctor.
Does doing toe touches and this type of exercise help with the waist line? I'm willing to do these. I would love to get my waist to even 30 inches if it is possible.
Old 11-08-2006, 06:34 AM   #43  

Lillybelle, how about the gentle exercises they recmmend after a c-section. I think even kegels can tone the lower abdomen a little bit. It's a place to start gently anyway. I can't remember the others but you could probably google it. I've been just concsciously holding in my tummy at stop lights and such.
joyofsix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2006, 01:47 PM   #44  
lilybelle

joy, thanks. I will google this and see if there's anything I can do. I am now doing toe touches and side bends to see if it will help any. I guess I shouldn't complain about my waist, it has went down 1 inch in the last 2 months. Funny that you should mention the Kegels. I used to do those all the time. I had a problem with incontinence when I was obese and don't have that problem any more. I wonder if others here had that problem when they had the extra weight.

My left ankle is improving daily. I can flex it up and down and to the sides now. I am considering walking on the treadmill tonite for the first time without a brace since the injury. If it starts to hurt, or feels too clumsy, I'll get off and put the brace back on. I am back on track with doing a mile everyday of walking now. I would like to eventually get back to my 3 miles a day that I did before.

Last edited by lilybelle; 11-08-2006 at 02:07 PM.
Old 11-08-2006, 01:54 PM   #45  
slow and steady

S/C/G: 185/see signature/135

Height: 5'4"

Hi everyone! I need to post more regularly, especially since people asked after me!

Anyway, I has my second wrist surgery and went to a physical therapist, who gave me a bunch of exercises to do that I wish I had known about after my first surgery. My right wrist (the second one) is doing great -- still hurts when I twist it weirdly or use it too hard, but no pain doing the PT exercises (stuff like the "prayer stretch" where you put your palms together, fingers up, elbows on a table, and slide down so that your entire forearms are on the table). My left wrist, on the other hand, not so happy with the exercises, especially the weighted ones. But it is improving already and it's only been three days of exercises so far -- the therapist said it could take three months for a significant improvement.

I'm on a healthy eating kick right now since eating so much junk for Halloween. I got on the scale at the apartment complex gym Monday and it read 135 -- I know my scale at home (which reads 129) is broken, but when we moved in the gym scale said 133 (mine said 127). My fiance says "two pounds isn't much considering you lost 55," but I know if I don't lose those two pounds right now I'll be in trouble later. So, now that my bandages are off, I'm hitting the gym and cleaning up my act at home. Temporarily going back to Lean Cuisine for lunch at work, since it helps me control my portions. I don't want to do that long term though since it has so much sodium (OTOH we eat super low-sodium at home since my fiance has high blood pressure).

Now that I said all that about how good I have been the past week or so, I am going to forget about that tomorrow evening because we are going to a cake tasting with our wedding cake baker. The cake will probably end up being dinner so it's not so bad. Maybe I'll have a salad afterward (cake tasting is at 4:30).

In other news . . . added motivation for losing those two pounds is . . . my one year weight maintenance anniversary is coming up! I can't believe it's been that long already. I was filling out a form at the doctor's office and it asked if I had had any recent weight loss and I started to write yes, but then I was like, wait, I stopped losing weight a year ago. I intend to write an anniversary post but I've got 20 days to go and I'm hoping that's long enough to kick these two pounds (even though it took me a couple months to lose them the first time...).

I would write more, but I have to go to a meeting! I hope you are all doing well!
paperclippy is offline   Reply With Quote