Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 07-09-2015, 03:53 PM   #481  

S/C/G: 152/???/132/33

Height: 5'4"

I am starting with a "get healthy" program on July 25 - first day of a 10 day vacation. We have cancelled the going away part so I will be totally in control of what I drink and what I eat for 10 days. I'm trying to be optimistic and say the kitchen reno - completion date was supposed to be this coming Monday - will be done by the 25th. I will have a "plan B" if it isn't.

I have a set of steps in mind that is basically the following:
  1. Stop the energy drinks
  2. Get more sleep
  3. Stop the excess sugar
  4. Hire a personal trainer to figure out a weights program that works around my many injuries
  5. Do some things I want to do, rather than have to do, during my vacation and on into August

Dagmar
Mudpie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 03:56 PM   #482  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

I love me a big fried breakfast. But, they are few and far between now, and that's a good thing!
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 12:21 AM   #483  
Workin' It

Birchie - fried bread pretty much describes it.
Jay - I also love a big, fried breakfast. These days it doesn't love me so much.

Took a melatonin, 5mg, last night and couldn't get up this morning to save my life. Very rested night sleep though, without my typical waking up. Trying half tonight to see how it works.

Exercised tonight - 45 mins on the elliptical trainer. Weights again tomorrow - my legs are more sore than I expected from what looked and felt like an easy workout last night.
Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 08:15 AM   #484  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

Good morning!

Dagmar, I like your plan. Too many energy drinks are not a good thing, nor is too much sugar. Do you really have to hire a trainer re the weights? Maybe you could come up with a program on your own. Just thinking of the expense.

I'm off to exercise shortly. It's so hot now that I go to the "Lots O' Luck Fitness Lounge"--our community "fitness center," which has A/C. (I'm sure I've mentioned that name before. Cracks me up every time.) I'm going in early in hopes of avoiding the older guy who seems to be there every day at 9. He's a nice guy, but he wants to talk, and I get a vibe that he's looking for a lady friend.

Enjoy!

Edited to Add: Wouldn't you know, he showed up at exactly the same time I did.

Last edited by JayEll; 07-10-2015 at 09:02 AM.
Old 07-10-2015, 09:22 AM   #485  

jayell I have tried several different approaches to working with the weights again but I re-injure my shoulders every time. The trainer I have in mind will work on a session by session basis and charge as we go. She's helped my co-worker's husband, who has the same sort of injury I do in one shoulder, develop his weightlifting plan. I'm thinking 4 sessions should do me fine with one every 6 months or so to fine-tune.

Dagmar
Old 07-10-2015, 09:41 AM   #486  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

Dagmar, I have a shoulder issue also. That trainer sounds good since she has experience with those injuries. If you want any informal tips, PM me.
Old 07-10-2015, 10:37 AM   #487  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

I had a crappy night's sleep last night. I woke up at 2 AM with a headache and couldn't take anything for it because of a 7 AM fasting blood draw. Unable to get back to sleep, my head pounding, I decided not to get up at 4 AM and do my workout. Instead I stayed in bed until 5:15, fed the animals and went for my blood draw. Now that I'm up and done the headache is gone. I have a Starbuck's skinny vanilla latte to make up for lack of coffee this morning. I hope the rest of the day continues well.

I also have shoulder issues--probably rotator cuff, but after my MIL had surgery for her bad rotator cuff, I refuse surgery. She said the surgery and after was worse pain than the injury. I know when I have a flare-up, rest and heat works wonders. I also know that rest means weeks of rest so I try my best not to hurt it. The weights I have been doing have not hurt it at this point. Also my DD showed me a couple exercises to use very low weights on to build up the necessary muscles around the rotator cuff. I tried them once and immediately felt some pain, so I stopped and haven't done them again. I don't know if I should try them again or not.
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 10:40 AM   #488  
Workin' It

Dagmar - I have thought about hiring a personal trainer, but am not sure if I would be consistent enough to make it worth the money. With a shoulder injury, it could be a really good idea, though. DH has some shoulder issues too, and has to be careful.

Jay - he's your secret admirer at the Lot's o' Luck. (I do love that name, made me snicker, too. )

The half melatonin seemed to help me fall asleep. I woke up more than the night before, but was able to fall back asleep quickly and slept pretty solid otherwise. Still had a hard time waking up this morning.

I've made an appointment and put down a deposit for the tattoo. I have a little under a week to freak out and change my mind.
Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 11:08 AM   #489  
critter lover

S/C/G: 160+/152/~135 and healthy

Height: 5'6.5"

Dagmar - a staycation for health (physical, mental and emotional) sounds like a wonderful thing. I hope your reno is done so you can enjoy it fully, but glad you have a backup plan as well!

I've already worked 60 hours this week. TGIF, in a major way. My eating is not great; only exercise is my bike commute to work. But I haven't caved and driven to work in several weeks, so that's one good thing. Hoping to get a bit of rest and some exercise this weekend. But it's the memorial/open house for my FIL on Sunday, so we'll be busy arranging that.
JayZeeJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 02:02 PM   #490  

S/C/G: 261/158/below 160

Height: 5'8" (Dang, I shrank an inch!)

Shannon, what does ". . .from the burns" mean or was that an autocorrect? Thanks for the explanation of Gobe. My oldest DD uses a Fitbit, which she likes.

Dagmar, I like your plan. Hiring a trainer is really helpful to get started, especially if you have physical,issues. Worth the expense, for sure. Think I'll do that after we move. Having endured two kitchen remodels, I have to say that the crockpot was my best friend. I set it up in a corner of the dining room, prepared food on the table, and washed up in the bathtub. Never had a meal out the entire six weeks.

Any computer geeks here? My laptop is constantly freezing up, making it almost useless. We have an antivirus program that seems to work, and my DH removed all sorts of extraneous stuff, but it still freezes and when it isn't frozen, it's slow. Any ideas?
Sheila53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 02:15 PM   #491  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

Sheila~Shannon and I both have a new fitness tracker called a GoBe by HealBe. Shannon had a reaction to hers--she was exercising and sweated and it caused corrosion on the two electrode points which then burned her skin. She can't wear it now because of the corrosion and she's waiting for a replacement. Apparently corrosion is common--some people get by by covering the points (used for charging the unit) with tape.

I'd recommend a professional to work on your computer. Back everything up first! If you want to do it yourself, back it up and reinstall your OS and then reinstall all the other programs.

Last edited by alinnell; 07-10-2015 at 02:16 PM.
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 04:26 PM   #492  
in development

Height: 5' 6"

I like the 'Fitness Lounge' angle of your place, JayEll, as well. It sounds as though you're all in velour tracksuits and have a drink afterwards. Not sure what kind of drink but probably colourful and with an umbrella. Bad luck about the older guy. Headphones? You don't have to have anything playing. I tried that for a bit with "Old Timer", when I went to the other gymn. Singlet, covered in tattoos, many wrinkles, spent a lot of time in the backwoods of Canada, 15+ years older than me.

Crazy day. Just as I thought I was on track something else would happen. It involved my uncle's ashes, plumbing crisis x 2, picking my mum up from the floor and a lot of furniture etc moving. Plus much, much more as the adverts used to say. Food not bad apart from a caffe latte and Bakewell tart at 10.30 am as I felt extraordinarily weak after dealing with the joker at the funeral directors. Thank heavens he is now out of my life.

Full day tomorrow, starting with a visit to the tip. I have a full car load ready including *three* vacuum cleaners which the DB and I have condemned as unsafe.

Dagmar, I like the personal trainer idea.

Sheila, I use Adblock Plus which cuts down on lots of rubbish. When I had a Windows machine I used Ad-Aware, I think it was called, to stop malware clogging things up.

JayZeeJay, I hope things go well for you all on Sunday.

Must go to sleep. You know that's the secret weapon.
silverbirch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 06:07 PM   #493  

Birchie I had exactly the same vision of jayell's workout place, given the name. And most of the guys are wearing gold chains and pinky rings, which they carefully remove each time they switch up on the equipment. Afterwards everyone drinks martinis but no olives as they are watching their weight.

Those darn Canadians! Was he also wearing a toque?

I can see myself flirting with similar types at whatever fitness facility I join when I retire from dogwalking. I will do outrageous yoga stretches to get attention and wear lots of rock'n'roll concert t shirts from many, many years ago. Plus really, really loud dayglo runners.

Getting old shouldn't mean there's no more fun in life. Particularly if we are still fit enough to go to the gymn or pool or whatever. I will probably swim a lot as I won't really care what I look like in a suit anymore. BONUS!

Dagmar
Old 07-10-2015, 06:18 PM   #494  
in development

Height: 5' 6"

Old Timer is British ... though I think he draws a Canadian pension. Long story obviously.

OK, really must turn out the light now. Night night.
silverbirch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2015, 08:28 AM   #495  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

Yes, the name does conjure up that image. The reality isn't nearly as interesting, because the velour suits and gold chains belong to a different era now.

Last night we had friends over for board games, and gourmet ice cream was part of the event. It was wonderful. I loved every bite.

The results this morning are as expected. But, I went out for my walk at 7:30. I didn't go to the fitness lounge today, but did a bit over a mile outdoors. You can't go much later than that in the Fla. summer, and as it is, the humidity is high in the morning; the dampness on your skin isn't sweat, it's condensation.

I plan to start us a new thread tomorrow, because we're getting to 500. I thought I would name it "Maintainers Losing a Lot and Winning." Any other ideas? Comments?