Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 07-06-2015, 06:30 AM   #1  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Default Maintainers Weekly Chat July 6 - July 12

With Canada Day and Independence Day behind us, we can all get serious about our eating.

I fell into the trap of needing grilled Italian Sausages to celebrate the holiday. Perhaps the heap of onions and Green Bell Peppers balanced the fat and calories. I'll hide behind the thought that it could have been worse.
BillBlueEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 06:53 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 152/???/132/33

Height: 5'4"

We are on day 1 of the kitchen reno. I don't think we'll be able to avoid buying some prepared food so won't be in control of the calories to the extent that I'd like. We'll do what we have to do.

Good week all!

Dagmar
Mudpie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 07:20 AM   #3  
in development

Height: 5' 6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudpie View Post
We'll do what we have to do.
Thanks, Dagmar. That's very useful for me at this point as I begin a new week of challenges.

My strategy is to have a broad outline of what has to be done, certain headings within that, and develop a more detailed list for these as I can. Then just put my head down and work through the list, recruiting help as it comes by.

It's working so far.

OK, time to reconvert the ironing board from a makeshift standing desk* back into an ironing board.

* This works well, by the way. Room for a telephone, papers to refer to and paper for note-taking. #economical
silverbirch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 09:24 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

Upon waking this morning I realized that three days of a little extra sleep had put me in the habit of getting that little extra sleep. It was 4:12 AM when my internal clock woke me (but I seriously thought it was more like 1 AM). I got up, did my workout, fed the animals, showered and got all ready for the day and went back to bed for another half hour or so. I feel recharged now and ready to face the day.

I was thinking of going to visit my Dad later this month but several things stood in the way. My sister is going to visit him and she thought that if we both showed up at the same time it might make him think he really is dying. He told me yesterday that he has no intention of dying anytime soon. Anyway, DH is thinking of going to SLC for a golf tournament in August and I thought I'd tag along and use that as the excuse to see my Dad. I've got feelers out to the rest of my family and so far they think that is a good plan.
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 06:57 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 152/???/132/33

Height: 5'4"

Allison if you really WANT to see your dad before he's so critical he doesn't recognize you any more then go. If you're ambivalent don't.

I saw my dad very briefly about 20 minutes before he died. I knew he WAS dying and didn't stick around to hear his last breath. My intuition told me any thoughts of a deathbed reconciliation (with choirs of angels and all that) were foolish.

After he died my cousin's wife was informed first - she was listed as contact rather than me - and a couple of days later my lawyer told me my dad had called him two days before his death and angrily ranted and raved with the only occasionally clear word being "Dagmar".

My intuition was right. If you have a "gut feeling" about the situation I would suggest going with it. Only MHO and please take it as such.

Each person's relationship with their parents is unique to them. Only the person involved can decide what they want to do.

Dagmar
Mudpie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 09:57 PM   #6  

Height: 5'7"

I've been in New York since the 1st helping daughter get her apartment set up. Very cute one bedroom in Astoria, Queens. A quick subway ride to Manhattan where we've gone several times. Her job starts on the 13th. Not sure when I am leaving yet but before then. I go to my moms in VA after this for a few days and then drive home.
I don't like not having my scale around. Seems like we have eaten a ton but I have been running a lot and clothes still fit so should be okay. She convinced me to run a half marathon with her in October so I started training for that a few weeks ago. Tomorrow I will run about 8.5 miles. I ran 8.1 last Tuesday at my moms house on the way up here. In this training plan there is one long run a week which gets progressively longer. Then you ru. Two other times I. The week. However since I'm away and can't do the cycling or lifting I am running more. And of course walking a ton since I'm in the city.
CalCounter1003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 09:30 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

I think my SIL is making things sound worse than they are. She's been out of town and is basing her thoughts on one phone call with him. I know my Dad is dying (although if you ask him, he is recovering from congestive heart failure). He is weak and has difficulty breathing at times but other than that, he is doing fine. Granted he's on hospice, but that means daily nurse visits and they help him shower and get dressed which is a huge help. I've decided to go up to see him in August. DH and I will drive up on a Thursday, I'll visit Friday and Saturday while DH golfs with his buddies and we'll head home Sunday and get back to work. It'll be fine. Besides that, I have come to terms with his dying and if he does go before I see him, I'll be fine with that. Really.

Good luck with the half-marathon training, Sharon!
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 09:50 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 178/134/125

Height: 5'6"

Sharon... I'm sure your weight is fine with all your walking. Exciting you are able to help set dd up.

Hugs, Allison... When my dad was ill, we had to decide multiple times whether we needed to drop everything and fly across the country, or whether he was stable. Never easy decisions. He eventually died suddenly, when we weren't expecting it so it was still a shock.

Enjoying my summer now. Got tons done yesterday and have another busy day planned. If all goes as planned, I will go to bikram, Ellie has a vet appointment, I have a nail appointment, errands to run, and if I'm lucky, UJam this afternoon, followed by me cooking something for myself and dd.
traveling michele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 11:49 AM   #9  

Height: 5'7"

Had a gorgeous run on Roosevelt Island. Went 8.6 miles total but had to walk a little bit, but still my longest run so far.

Allison- sorry about your dad. Even when you are expecting it, it is a shock. No regrets - you know what is right for you.

Michele - glad you are finally getting to enjoy your summer! I have to be back at school on August 3rd. One week of boring in-service - hardly any time to prep classroom. I might get 2 weeks at home before I go back, but that's okay. Very happy to get to do the things I've done so far.
CalCounter1003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 01:51 PM   #10  
Workin' It

Good luck with your training, Sharon!

Michele - glad you are getting some summer time! Hey, you have a tattoo, right? Would you do it again? I'm researching one.

Allison - sorry about your dad.

Birchie - broad planning is good, I do better when I have a big picture vision.

Bill -grilled sausage is awesome. At least you had yours with veggies and not lots of bread.

Dagmar - kitchen renovation... fun, and terrifying.
Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 03:24 PM   #11  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shannon in ATL View Post
Good luck with your training, Sharon!

Michele - glad you are getting some summer time! Hey, you have a tattoo, right? Would you do it again? I'm researching one.

Yes, I have two... I got them recently, both around your age. Did tons of research too. Very happy with them! One is on my shoulder, the other on my inner wrist. I'd love to do another but I don't think dh wants me to. Do you know what you'd get and where?
Old 07-07-2015, 11:24 PM   #12  
Workin' It

Michele - I'm thinking flower spray (fuschia, cherry blossom) with hummingbird or butterfly, in that side, back of the hip, around the edge of my butt area. Not huge, so that will determine location. Or, similar design on the back of my shoulder blade maybe. I've been looking off and on for years, and figure if I don't do it soon I never will... How was the aftercare? I've read all kinds of dire stories about it, so stopped reading those, too.
Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 11:40 PM   #13  

Shannon,
Aftercare was simple... No issues... I researched the studio and made sure I went with a good one. I visited and talked to artists. I say go for it!
Old 07-08-2015, 01:38 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 261/158/below 160

Height: 5'8" (Dang, I shrank an inch!)

Allison, I'm so sorry to read about your dad. It's so tough when our parents start that slow decline. I totally understand not wanting to remember him ill and dying.

Tattoos. I love looking at tattoos. Does it hurt when you get them, though? Think I'll just stick to admiring them. When you get yours, Shannon, you'll have to post a photo.

We are getting a bunch of smoke from fires in B.C. Makes for incredible sunsets. I do wonder if the smoke is causing my swollen lymph nodes, slight headache, kind of drippy nose, and general icky feeling. Or am I coming down with something? My youngest daughter is coming for a long weekend so I can't be sick. My oldest daughter was here last week, and we had a lot of fun showing her around Seattle.

Last edited by Sheila53; 07-08-2015 at 01:39 PM. Reason: stupid autocorrect!
Sheila53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 01:59 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 184/132/125

Height: 5'5"

I had a great time at my family reunion in Gardnerville NV (near Tahoe). Played horseshoes which my bad knee didn't like much, but it was fun. I got one ringer among many bad throws. I played cribbage for the first time in years. Now I'm trying to convince DH to play it with me, but have to find the cribbage board first.

Sharon, excellent that you are training for an Oct half marathon! I can't believe how early teachers have to be back in school these days. What ever happened to teachers getting the summer off?

Allison, sounds like you have come to terms with the condition of your father, which is the best any of us can do.

Michele, glad you are enjoying summer! Still, a lot of appointments. I am looking forward to having days with NO appointments or deadlines.

My new trainee started this week and he will hopefully be able to fully replace me in 5 or 6 months.

Dagmar, I'm eager to hear about the kitchen reno. If I can ever get fully retired I will be doing many home improvements starting with tearing up the hideous carpet and putting down fake hardwood floors.

I have no tattoos but I have a dark cluster of veins on one thigh that looks like one. My advice is to consider that a lot of tattoos begin to look like varicose veins as the owners age.
HowlinAtTheMoon is offline   Reply With Quote