Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 07-06-2015, 02:47 PM   #451  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

JZJ, you are doing as much as you possibly can. No reason for guilt about that.

Silverbirch, fortunately this time of year is OK as far as allergies; however, two days after I stopped the antihistamine, my nose ran like a river. I think it was a rebound effect. It's OK now. If an antihistamine is needed later, I plan to try one of the old-style antihistamines, such as Benadryl or doxylamine succinate (Unisom). The problem is that they are actually sedatives as well as antihistamines, so best to take them at night.

Also, it was in fact Chen-style Tai Chi that caused the problem. I don't have any difficulties with "traditional" Yang style as it is now practiced. But evidently knee problems aren't unusual, especially for Westerners.

Shannon in ATL, so sorry about your DH! Any chance you can get him to see someone sooner rather than later? Will he allow ice packs, at least?

What I want to know is, Where. Is. Jessica? (paperclippy)
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 03:11 PM   #452  
in development

Height: 5' 6"

Shannon, didn't see that about DH. My goodness me! Glad nothing broken. Arnica ointment works on bruises for me, after the ice pack stage.

Alison, looks like your 7 minute workout might be the New York Times one. I am very sorry to hear about your father (on other thread). Going to SLC as part of the golf outing would make it much more normal, I can see.

JayEll, I wondered whether it might be Chen-style. I don't think I'm going anywhere near it.

Yes. Jessica. Where?
silverbirch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 04:30 PM   #453  
Workin' It

Jay - we've been putting ice packs when we can, haven't been as consistent as we should be with it. I'm going to try to get him to the doc tomorrow - DSS has a playdate with a friend and I can work from home and hang with them while he goes.

Birchie - I'm going to look up Arnica ointment.

Jessica has been around on FB, just haven't seen her here. Come back, Jessica!

Someone suggested nail polish remover on the bruising - I haven't looked it up to see what that would do, or if it is even a good idea or not... Anyone know how long it takes a huge knotted bruise to heal? It has been 2.5 weeks, and I can't tell if the knot is any smaller or not. Then I started reading about calcium buildups on large quad bruises, and I have to just stop doing that...

Allison - thanks for the 7 minute workout app. I HAVE to get my butt back in gear. AGAIN. I swear. Lather, rinse, repeat.
Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 05:53 PM   #454  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

The app is the same as what is in the NYTimes article. And after you've used it a certain number of times in a row, it will let you download a new workout (abs). I don't know how many workouts they have because I haven't used it for a few months now (ever since starting to use weights instead of it).

And yes, I need to get my butt in gear, too. I do feel as if I'm doing my best with my workouts but my diet needs a major overhaul.

Last edited by alinnell; 07-06-2015 at 05:57 PM.
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 06:02 PM   #455  
critter lover

S/C/G: 160+/152/~135 and healthy

Height: 5'6.5"

Thanks guys. Shannon you're right, it was all bad options. But we did a lot together this weekend with DH's mother and that was good.

Shannon, I hope your DH is able to recover quickly. That sounds like a bad fall.

This morning my work computer caught fire. Yep, actual fire. Smoke was pouring out of it. Our IT angels claim the data will be entirely salvageable. I really really hope so.
JayZeeJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 06:21 PM   #456  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

JayZee... Could it be a Message??

Shannon... That is a weird idea about the nail polish! I can't find any info on that. A search just brings up questions about whether you can put nail polish on a bruised finger. Oh wait! It's nail polish REMOVER... BRB

Back. Nope, still no joy. Well, I sure wouldn't recommend it. Nail polish remover is pretty toxic sometimes.

Last edited by JayEll; 07-06-2015 at 06:24 PM.
Old 07-06-2015, 06:49 PM   #457  

S/C/G: 152/???/132/33

Height: 5'4"

Shannon got this off the web

"You can use acetone topically in a limited manner -- I wouldn't use it every day without protection by any means, as long-term systemic effects are pretty nasty (lab work shows kidney and liver damage from long term exposure to fumes). But for occasional use as a solvent, acetone is comparably safe (see below for cautions). It's the most powerful solvent you can buy without a license and, as it's water soluble, it washes off easily. It's reasonably safe stuff, with some caveats. Some cautions: • EXTREMELY FLAMABLE -- don't use anywhere near an open flame or something that sparks (note that some fans, hairdryers, etc. generate sparks!).
• Don't drink it -- it's toxic when taken internally.
• Use in a well-ventilated place.
• Note that it happily melts most plastics, including Nalgene bottles, so be careful where you store it.
• Again -- long-term exposure is dangerous. If you're around it a lot in your job, use proper breathing gear.
• If you feel dizzy or sick, leave what you're doing and get to fresh air."

I don't think is anything that should be put on skin and left there.

Dagmar
Mudpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 06:37 AM   #458  

A first! I was too tired to overeat last night and went to bed instead - at 8:45 p.m.

Dagmar
Old 07-07-2015, 07:08 AM   #459  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

Down another pound this morning, and this isn't just water like the other four pounds were.

I'm liking the mini-fast approach because I'm so burned out on counting calories, weighing and measuring, etc. I'm generally not hungry first thing anyway.

The idea behind the mini-fast is that we are all fasting overnight, so that is just extended. By morning, the liver has used up much of the glycogen it stores for such contingencies. Then, by exercising, you switch over into fat burning more quickly. That metabolism continues until you eat lunch.

Silverbirch, I'm reconsidering those old-style antihistamines because they aren't recommended for older people. I know that Benadryl sometimes has side effects that I don't like now (I didn't have any trouble with it when I was younger).

Shannon, I recommend Arnica gel also. It does work. Don't use it on broken skin, though.
Old 07-07-2015, 09:25 AM   #460  

After yesterday's glitchy start, it ended up good--even good food-wise. Today I actually slept until my alarm woke me up. That hasn't happened for months. Got a good workout done and actually don't feel famished like I usually do (I hope that means a smaller breakfast will get me through to lunch).

When I had my varicose vein surgery, Arnica gel was recommended to heal the bruising. I can't remember if it worked or not.
Old 07-07-2015, 10:42 AM   #461  
critter lover

S/C/G: 160+/152/~135 and healthy

Height: 5'6.5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayEll View Post
JayZee... Could it be a Message??
Yes
I have renewed hope in being able to leave my job soon. Sadly, it was my FIL's poor health that kept us here for so long.

This thread is taking on a "My Big Fat Greek Wedding" vibe (ie, put some Windex on it!)
JayZeeJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 11:35 AM   #462  
Workin' It

Thanks for the acetone info, I may just skip it. I am going to look for arnica.

Jay - antihistamine not meant for older people? I have been popping benadryl like there is no tomorrow for some mosquito bites I got in Mexico and I have been off balance and bloated since we got back. Is it the benadryl causing it?

JZJ - that does seem like a sign. Mine has never caught on fire!

Allison - a good night's sleep works wonders.

Dagmar - high five on the not snacking last night! Woo!

I had some luck with the mini-fast that Jay is doing now back a couple of years ago. I skipped breakfast most days, and 1-2 days a week I also skipped lunch. I'm back to doing protein/raw meal shakes in the morning, if you can call doing it today being 'back to it'. LOL

I exercised last night, am set to eat well tonight. I'm out of olive oil, have to get some on the way home.
Old 07-07-2015, 11:40 AM   #463  

Shannon~I almost ran out of olive oil a couple weeks ago. That's bad because I've been ordering in online and wasn't sure how long it'd take before I got it. They say this is the best olive oil around (especially good if you're using it in salad dressings)--Olea Estates. I have to agree, it is pretty darn good!
Old 07-07-2015, 01:28 PM   #464  
Workin' It

Allison - I've been buying the huge jugs of olive oil from Costco. I googled yours, it looks great!
Old 07-07-2015, 06:05 PM   #465  

DH and I differ on the oil vs butter cooking. I do not like stuff cooked in oil, or having in on salad, brushed on to bread, etc. We have tried primo olive oils and regular ones and I don't like any of them. I think it's from my mom - she cooked only with butter and I developed a taste and mouth feel for it early on.

But I use margarine on bread, toast, etc, instead of butter. My dad thought of margarine as the devil's spawn - he liked to put bacon grease on bread.

Dagmar