Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 08-25-2013, 11:01 AM   #406  
Recovering Pantry Pest

S/C/G: 174.5/162/149

Height: 5'7"

Michele, I take 5mg every night. Usually, even if I do sleep lightly and get up once, I still feel pretty good in the morning. I have been saving the 10mg for when I feel like I need it - a cold is trying to "get" me, or a rough week coming up, or general run-downedness. In the last month, I think I've used 10mg 4 times, and it has yet to let me down.
ICUwishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 05:21 PM   #407  
in development

Height: 5' 6"

I think melatonin is not licensed in the UK, though doctors can prescribe it off licence. It's certainly not sold over the counter.

Working very hard at my Mum's. There's lots of walking as part of what I have to do. At day 4 of any visit I start to flag and eat more to try to keep up.
silverbirch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 10:39 PM   #408  

S/C/G: 178/134/125

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by ICUwishing View Post
Michele, I take 5mg every night. Usually, even if I do sleep lightly and get up once, I still feel pretty good in the morning. I have been saving the 10mg for when I feel like I need it - a cold is trying to "get" me, or a rough week coming up, or general run-downedness. In the last month, I think I've used 10mg 4 times, and it has yet to let me down.
I checked my bottle. I only take 3 mg. I think I'll try 6 if I really need it one night and see how it goes.
traveling michele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 08:11 AM   #409  
Recovering Pantry Pest

silver, I worry a lot (one of very few items) about the Codex Alimentarius regulations imposed on supplements over there. There are some rumblings in our government that look like support for it; fortunately the bills never advance very far. I spend a great deal of time researching what works for health and longevity, and it irritates me to no end that a lobbyist can undo a massive and conclusive pile of scientific data with a few wads of cash to the right politician.

Meanwhile ... I am looking forward to a nice routine week with clear sailing.
Old 08-26-2013, 08:34 AM   #410  
Girl Gone Strong

S/C/G: (H)247/(C)159/(Goal)142-138

Height: 5'3"

I will be stressed out and writing on deadline all day, and at those moments when I am so freaked out that I pace the floors, I want not to go to the cupboards or the fridge looking for food. Food is never the answer.

There is a long weekend at the end of this week. No matter what happens. Even if everything turns out badly and I disappoint people, including myself. The days will pass and take me there like waves pulling a floating boat.

Last edited by saef; 08-26-2013 at 08:34 AM.
saef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 10:18 AM   #411  
Workin' It

I don't take melatonin - it feels like the only one I don't take. I have every other supplement in the world in my desk drawer I think.
Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 08:51 PM   #412  
Girl Gone Strong

What a day. Two meetings, a one-on-one, a training session with a new hire, publishing a document and working on the Microsoft thing prompted by Ballmer's retirement announcement. Somehow I got very lucky today when I was writing the latter piece on a two-hour deadline, and the sentences just came out decently, and it didn't take long to arrange them in a decent order. This was tight but the analyst who was supposed to get me some bullet points on the email forgot to press "send" on the email (which I watched for all weekend), until I checked in with him Tuesday. Of course he may rework the draft, since they can do that, but at least it was done.

I'm debating running tomorrow, after some viewing of Good Form running videos and reading about Chi Running. (Thank you for your email -- you know who you are!) It may help me work off some tension in the morning before showering & commuting to CT.
Old 08-28-2013, 09:24 AM   #413  
Recovering Pantry Pest

It's Wednesday and I am finally back on track with tracking. I have all sorts of excuses as it hasn't become a habit again (yet). I have been eating massive amounts of vegetables - that's the good thing. My weight is about where it was this time last week, which is irksome.

I also made a commitment to run a 5K in mid-September. The start line is walking distance from my gf's house and it's very flat.

saef, I hope you get your run in today, and it has all of the benefits you're looking for!
Old 08-28-2013, 10:08 AM   #414  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

Good for you Becky! I wish I could say the same. I did manage to lose 2 pounds since the cruise, but my weight is staying stubbornly at the same for two weeks now. Irksome? More than that I believe. I guess my points system isn't working. I'll have to make some serious changes and if it means writing down every morsel again, well so be it.
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 12:47 PM   #415  
Workin' It

I was down to 141.3 on Sunday, then promptly lost my silly mind with TOM and assorted stress the last three days.
Old 08-28-2013, 02:33 PM   #416  

S/C/G: 178/134/125

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shannon in ATL View Post
I was down to 141.3 on Sunday, then promptly lost my silly mind with TOM and assorted stress the last three days.
Don't you just love how we self sabotage ourselves?

I've been an angel and my weight has gone up each of the past two mornings. It is making me want to throw in the towel and eat junk!
traveling michele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 03:02 PM   #417  
Girl Gone Strong

Not so good today: This afternoon, I had a big honking fat chewy PowerBar and a handful of cashews for lunch.

I have that one document going on deadline, which would have kept me busy enough -- but after I showed up in the office around 8:45, I saw my boss's email from 5:30 AM. She was knocked out with a migraine. She'd been co-teaching an onboarding class on writing for 25 people. Suddenly I had to go down there & teach her section of the class, talking to the PowerPoint slides. Usually on a presentation day, I'd have on a suit, but today it was bright pink jeans with ankle zippers, high heel sandals with a pink pedicure and that Liberty of London print blouse that I picked up from a good thrift shop a few weeks back.

Anyway, my part is done, I'm back at my desk and have finished cleaning up a new draft of the document.

I just want to go home. I am trying not to attack the vending machine since I'm hungry from that completely inadequate but blood sugar disruptive lunch. That PowerBar was like eating a candy bar, only just faintly chewier with a slight redolence of protein powder.

Last edited by saef; 08-28-2013 at 03:06 PM.
Old 08-28-2013, 03:29 PM   #418  
Workin' It

Quote:
Originally Posted by traveling michele View Post
Don't you just love how we self sabotage ourselves?

I've been an angel and my weight has gone up each of the past two mornings. It is making me want to throw in the towel and eat junk!
Yeah, it is awesome. And I can't seem to make myself stop doing it today or yesterday. I chose to go out to dinner Sunday night, then was well in line Monday, Tuesday and now today have fallen right off the tracks. And still falling. At this point I've used all my calories today and should just not eat dinner. Bah.

Saef - stay strong against the vending machine. One of us needs to be strong today.
Old 08-28-2013, 05:40 PM   #419  

S/C/G: 152/???/132/33

Height: 5'4"

I gave up on all the Power bars and their cousins - Luna, Protec, etc. I might as well have been eating sugar right from the bowl. I do much better with a big chunk of skinless BBQ chicken breast or low fat cheese for a protein boost.

Probably not available from the vending machine saef . I wonder, if someone invented a vending machine with a cooling unit that dispensed salad, cheese, chicken, etc. how popular it would be?

I will be the strong one tonite. I just drank an energy drink to get me through my interview @ 8 p.m. (and hopefully not stop me from sleeping) and then I will come straight home and have a beautiful ripe pear from the fridge where it's chilling right now. Instead of going to the local grocery and getting a lb. of cheap jelly beans.

Dagmar
Mudpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 06:50 PM   #420  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

My last few days have been different than any I have ever experienced. A couple of days ago I went to my beautician and had her shave off the last few wisps of hair remaining on my head , today I got a wig, If any of you ever need this information for yourself of friend or family. You can get one free at American Cancer Society. That is where I got mine, I had plenty of choice and also got 2 scarves of my choice in addition.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote