Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 09-04-2013, 06:53 PM   #451  

S/C/G: 152/???/132/33

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by bargoo View Post
Saef gave the perfect definition. I wish I had some raspberry jam right now My grandmother made the best conserves. I tried her recipe and had a good substitute for Super Glue. It had orange or lemon peel in it.

Dagmar
Mudpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 09:56 PM   #452  
Senior Curmudgeon

S/C/G: 162/134/125

Height: 5'2"

Well, here I am again. I'm really getting tired of watching my scale move upward. I know I said I would eat 1500 calories and accept the consequences, but unfortunately I have not been sticking to my end of the deal. My current dietary scheme seems to go 1500, 1500, 1800, 2200, 1500, 1500, 1500, 2200, etc. This has resulted, unsurprisingly, in a 3-4 pound gain since returning from Greece at the beginning of July, putting me about 8 pounds over "goal." At this point, I will need to return to 1200/day for the foreseeable future. I'm contemplating rejoining WW, because it's worked for me multiple times in the past, and because I feel like I need something different to get out of my diet rut. I seem to lack the self-discipline to log my food every day, which I know is essential for me when I bring my cals down to weight-loss levels, to avoid self-deception. I'm wondering if doing something formal would embarrass me into doing the documenting I need, and maybe add a little more positive reinforcement. The downside for me is the d*mn meetings, which are a huge time-sink due to the travel time in each direction. Can any of you think of an alternative that would have some of the formality and accountability of WW without the physical meetings? Is there a Skype version of WW, or something else?
neurodoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 05:37 AM   #453  

Andrea This is my own experience, not any advice or instruction to you. We are all different so you will do whatever you will do.

I spent close to 2 years fighting with my body. My body wants to weigh about 135 lbs. I was determined that it would weigh 125.

My body finally won and life is a whole lot easier, simpler, and more satisfying.

Dagmar
Old 09-06-2013, 09:52 AM   #454  
Recovering Pantry Pest

S/C/G: 174.5/162/149

Height: 5'7"

Andrea, I have seen posts in the other forums that WW now has an online version and community. You may not need to do the brick and mortar meetings. I am not sure how much accountability the online version would give - as in, do they do Webinars, etc, but it might be worth looking into. Welcome back to the loss side of the equation, such as it is! I can empathize with the scale creep.

dagmar, I hear ya on the balance. I'm not quite ready to give in yet because I haven't tried everything. I can get pretty close to where I want to be with careful eating. The missing piece is the exercise - I need to find out what happens when I move as much as I'm supposed to. Experiment #45703 begins tomorrow, with my first real swim team workout () in, oh, about 18 years ...

It's Friday and I've had my usual gradual drop over the course of the week. It's up to me to keep it together over the weekend and not blow my average.

Last edited by ICUwishing; 09-06-2013 at 09:52 AM.
ICUwishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 10:16 AM   #455  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

You and me both, Andrea.

I've been a week now of really watching what I eat and logging it and exercising (6 days out of 7 which is big for me). All I have to show for it is a 2 pound gain. Over a huge gain from the past, what?, 4 months or so. I don't even look at my ticker anymore as it is clearly not correct and I don't have the motivation to change it.
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 10:16 AM   #456  

S/C/G: 178/134/125

Height: 5'6"

Andrea-- I lost my weight with WW and worked as a receptionist in the meetings for several years. I've also seen a weight creep and I haven't been tracking either so I know the two go hand in hand. Yes, WW has an online version. Does it work as well as the meetings? Depends. For many--no. If you can be accountable online, then yes-- all the tools are there. However, many people need the accountability of the weigh in. The meetings aren't mandatory-- you can weigh and leave-- however the meetings tend to have great tools, motivation and information. I may be joining you.... I've still been weighing monthly (and am still below my official WW goal) but I haven't been staying for the meetings.
traveling michele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 10:19 AM   #457  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

You and me both, Andrea.

I've been a week at really watching what I eat and logging it faithfully (although I did miss one dinner and realized too late that my new program won't let me go back to the previous day to log). I've exercised 6 out of 7 days which is big for me. And what do I get? A two pound gain OVER the huge gain that I got before and during my cruise.

I really wish it weren't true, but it is.

And I don't even look at my ticker anymore--it's clearly wrong.
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 10:25 AM   #458  

Allison-- any insight? That doesn't make much sense...... sorry as I know how frustrating it can be! I know all too well....
Old 09-06-2013, 11:09 AM   #459  
Girl Gone Strong

S/C/G: (H)247/(C)159/(Goal)142-138

Height: 5'3"

I've swapped out some machine time for running twice a week, to see whether I can get better at running and shake things up a little.

Today I was up another half-pound, but that was probably just, er, waste, to put it politely, because I had to stop doing pullups at the gym in the morning & make a run for the ladies' room. This is why small variations in my weight don't affect me a lot. I seem to have a large capacity and an occasionally sluggish system, despite all the fiber that I consume.
saef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 06:06 AM   #460  

We went to DH's family event yesterday. We both get kinda stressed at these events as we are very shy and there are a lot of people (DH has an extended family of about 150 people) we don't know there. I usually eat way more at these events than I want to but I was very careful to only take a small plate and to have mostly fruit for dessert. One small cookie and a baked bar (chocolate and something) did find their way on there too.

The food was kinda small town old-fashioned - egg salad sandwiches, something involving cheese and tomato sauce (accompanied by the dreaded tortilla chips), cucumbers stuffed with some kind of tuna mix, a whole plate of full fat cheese, and a big bowl of jumbo shrimp. I was tempted to take a bunch of the shrimp but didn't want to look like a . There was a sauce with the shrimp but I didn't go there - I like 'em plain.

I did fall into the coffee . That did create a lot of problems for me later but I had to do something to look busy and there weren't many other options for beverages.

I did do some stress eating last night but that was due to DH blowing up at me. I probably had about 800 cals worth of stuff - frozen cherries, toast with marg, and 2 low fat frozen yogurt bars. DH and I have to talk this business of his using me as the "office bitc*" out but last night the fatigue and built up stress of the week all hit me in a wave and I caved.

Today, at my family's event for my dad, I will be OK. I'm going to try to gently talk DH out of coming - I fear the built up anger and frustration he's got toward his boss might explode out of him at my cousin. I'm probably going to get the explosion when I broach the subject today but I know where it's coming from and I'll try to stay calm and not take it personally.

I already did that last night. SIGH. Old habits do eventually die but it sure does take a whole lot of time and effort to kill 'em off.

Dagmar
Old 09-08-2013, 10:07 AM   #461  

Thinking of you Dagmar. Hope you make it through today unscathed.
Old 09-08-2013, 10:36 AM   #462  
Girl Gone Strong

S/C/G: (H)247/(C)159/(Goal)142-138

Height: 5'3"

This is how your past week has been, Dagmar

I just picture you going over all kinds of hurdles.

And keeping going.

In spite of having two heavy men attached to each ankle: Your late father, and your husband.

There's going to be a point when you can do the course unencumbered, and then, world look out.
saef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 12:15 PM   #463  

I physically look just like that hurdler - NOT! DH is contrite this morning and will behave this afternoon. I wonder if he ever will get the knack of bypassing this . I hope so - unfocused anger is such a waste of energy.

I feel like the whole family has been at war (of a kind) for the past year. Maybe today will be the start of a lasting peace? Good goal to aim for this year.

Dagmar
Old 09-08-2013, 05:14 PM   #464  
critter lover

S/C/G: 160+/152/~135 and healthy

Height: 5'6.5"

Hi all-

Got back last night from Scotland. We had a great time, overall. The mountain biking across the country was fun and beautiful, but also utterly grueling. We rode 30-50 miles each day. Some of the trails were really technical, including steep uphills covered in layers of shifting rock...needless to say, my skills were taxed to the limit. I did become a better rider though, out of necessity. We were also lost a lot, thanks to Garmin "technical difficulties" for a few days, and that added even more miles on those days.

At one point we had gone the wrong way up a horribly steep, long, rocky trail only to realize our mistake 2 hours later. So then we had to retrace the trail and ride another 30 miles, at which point we took another wrong turn and ended up at a major highway. We gave up and rode in the thick grass next to the road which was extra-exhausting, and just as my legs were giving out for good, my front tire tangled with a metal rod hiding in the grass and I flipped off my bike, over the edge of the drop next to the road, and down into the ravine below. Fortunately a thick bed of heather broke my fall. But as I laid there, wondering if I was broken anywhere, my only thought was "I. Give. Up."

But I didn't quit, and we finished the ride and went up to Orkney and generally had a great time. The tiny villages we stayed in every night throught the trip were lovely. Not sure how my weight is doing, we exercised like champs but then ate like hogs everyday, and did not stop when the ride did. Plus the food was really rich overall, and often there was only one place to eat in the village and their one vegetarian dish was usually something horribly unhealthy. So I may avoid the scale for another week. I did go for a long run this morning, so that is something-

Dagmar: Your week sounds fairly miserable. I hope you are able to arrange things to avoid additional unnecessay conflict/stress at your family event.

Andrea: I'm glad to see you back! But sorry that it is because of a frustrating weight situation.
JayZeeJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 09:31 AM   #465  
Recovering Pantry Pest

S/C/G: 174.5/162/149

Height: 5'7"

Welcome back, Jay! Your trip sounds really awesome (except the getting lost and falling part)! You sound like a really tough chick. I want to get in the kind of shape that would make a vacation like that be "Bring it on!" instead of "OMG - are you nuts?". Thank you for the real-world inspiration!

Dagmar, I also hope that your family can start a new chapter and be a little more about the kind of family you deserve.

allison - sorry to see you're hitting that weird spot where what worked before no longer gives the desired results. I wish I had some good ideas to offer, beyond just rah-rah, keep up the good work, be patient, etc.

I'm down 1.1 for the week ending Sunday and just plugging away. It definitely is easier to eat well in the summer when all the fresh fruits and veggies are out. I ran Saturday instead of swimming. I looked at my calendar and realized that September is really, really screwed up - between my needing to travel 9/16 - 23, AND 9/26-29, a 5k run, and a high school open house (the only opportunity to meet all of DS's teachers) I literally can only make 1 practice before the 30th. I am trying to not be incredibly irritated about it; these are commitments I made months ago and I can't get out of them. And my irritation sort of amuses me - I remind myself of a junkie jonesing for a chlorine fix. It is what it is.
ICUwishing is offline   Reply With Quote