Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 08-06-2012, 10:12 PM   #271  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

I just had to share my DD's Facebook comment today:

Bootcamp outside in the sun in 93 degree weather for an hour is not the most enjoyable thing in the world, but at least I got a good workout.
It also helps when you are the only person to show up. You get two trainers to yourself who won't let you try to skip out or cheat on the moves lol

I told her it was a bonus to be the only student!
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 10:31 PM   #272  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

Allison, how is your daughter doing in the weight loss , didn't she get you started on NutriSystem ?
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 11:30 PM   #273  
Senior Curmudgeon

S/C/G: 162/134/125

Height: 5'2"

123.6 this morning. First day under redline since mid-July. Guess I needed to submit that manuscript- it was clearly weighing on me :>)

ICU- way to go. I’m sure it’s not artificial, and even if you bounce back over 150 temporarily, you’re clearly heading in the right direction.

Shannon- yes, I started that thread last year specifically because I wasn’t seeing enough posts related to weight control, and I didn’t want to bore people with day-in, day-out “ate OP today; weight still at x but got in some good exercise” which really does get old. But, it felt like I was talking to myself after awhile, which is why I quit.

I do find it fascinating that so many maintainers (self included) are actually “dieters on a really short leash.” The fact that this thread contains virtually all of the same people as the current main Maintainers forum speaks volumes to the idea that few of us are truly maintaining (e.g., at goal weight range and stable).

So bargoo, I’m choosing your option #1 right now, and may end up choosing all 3. In the meantime, I’m grateful to have someplace to go where there are others like me, who understand that 3 consecutive days without exercise can be a minor catastrophe, and a week of on-plan eating can be a huge victory.
neurodoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 05:35 AM   #274  

S/C/G: 152/???/132/33

Height: 5'4"

Andrea My weight fluctuates by about 3 lbs. every day. I did an experiment and weighed myself 2x daily for 2 weeks. I generally was 2-4 lbs. heavier in the evening than in the morning.

So I do not regard myself as a "dieter on a short leash". I am maintaining and have been for 3 years. I'm just 5 lbs. above where I'd like to be maintaining.

Dagmar
Mudpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 07:25 AM   #275  

S/C/G: 220 (2007) 159 (now)/159/140

Height: 5 feet, 8.5 inches tall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shannon in ATL View Post
Mindi - not at all, considering what they did. I can't believe that they shot your dog with a BB gun. That is so not okay. My fence drama started when my neighbors had a party and we look out back and two kids and an adult are completely in my yard tossing a football. Close enough to the house that their spare ball was on my concrete pad, 10 feet from my back door. And when we asked them to leave the other people at the party got all "it's just kids, what is your problem" and started cursing and posturing at us, trying to call DH into an altercation.
Wow! At least your DH didn't get into it with them. Mine probably would have. We are still considering moving because the man across the alley (who was shooting the dogs - his kids didn't do it) is a wackadoodle. He snuck over to our house in the middle of the night recently after arguing with my husband (saying that our dogs barked 8 hours straight that day - they didn't. I was home on maternity leave and they barely went outside) and left a NOTE on our porch. The writing is all big and then tiny and changes a ton - like a psychopath wrote it. DH wants to move because he's afraid the guy will go nutso one night and poison our dogs. We're thinking about it....
MindiV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 07:59 AM   #276  
Recovering Pantry Pest

S/C/G: 174.5/162/149

Height: 5'7"

Yesterday was a tough one. I was beyond tired - into that "numb tired", and totally struggled through the work day. The hour drive was awful; it took every bit of concentration I had to stay between the lines. Got home, and DS was at a friend's, DH was out on the golf course, and for about an hour and a half, I grazed alone. As I account for all of it, it's nothing near what I used to do to myself - it was only a few hundred calories, and with the exception of the potato chips, it was food that had nutritional value. But. BUT. It was unnecessary, and not even pleasurable. This, I think, is my final hurdle that I need to overcome with food. Somewhere I've got it ingrained in my mind that this is some sort of ritual that I "need" to perform. 150.5 today. On the positive side, I was in bed before 9pm and the world's a lot clearer this morning. Sanity returns!

I don't feel like I'm on that short of a leash either - my body pretty much follows my mind, and if I get my head on straight, it's not hard for me to drop weight. Maybe the length of the leash is inversely proportional to the amount of weight one had to lose, or the amount of time they kept it on, or some formula like that. My time in the overweight category was pretty brief and I only crossed that line by about fifteen pounds for a year or two. That's a part of why I've felt like a bit of an imposter as a "maintainer" at times - my trip back to a healthy space was fairly trivial. I'm proud I did it and am keeping it off, but as I mention above, I have my challenges with the grazing and unwillingness to exercise. I don't think of myself as a healthy person quite yet.
ICUwishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 09:15 AM   #277  

Andrea , I am glad you have decided to stay. To explain how to maintain, every time I post gets boring to other readers. I got on the scale this morning, I weighed the same as I did yesterday that is good but I am not quite where I want to be.I could post this every day, it would be true but is kind of boring for others to read.
I knew how to diet but didn't know how to maintain, I could get it off but couldn't keep it off. I asked those who had maintained for years how they did it. They told me something that was revolutionary to me ! They kept it off the same way they lost it. Since they knew something I obviously did not I decided to try their way and it works ! I still, count calories, still keep a food diary, still plan all my meals in advance. I have posted this several times , I don't know if thiis helps anybody but regular posters here have surely read it.
Everyday I post something about weight, I gained, I lost, why didn't I lose, I should have lost but didn'r, etc,etc,etc.
Certainly we should be talking about maintaining but everything that happens in our lives has a bearing on that aspect of our lives.
We have talked about everything here, pregnancy, children, jobs, neighbors, aging parents, pets, spouses and SO and I personally think it is OK to do so.
My weight story today, I stepped on the scale I weighed the same as I did yesterday, however I thought I should have gained, I am glad I didn't but can't really explain it. It is what it is.

Last edited by bargoo; 08-07-2012 at 09:17 AM.
Old 08-07-2012, 09:28 AM   #278  

Quote:
Originally Posted by bargoo View Post
Allison, how is your daughter doing in the weight loss , didn't she get you started on NutriSystem ?

I don't know how she's doing right now. I'll know more when she comes to visit this weekend. Yes, it was she who got me and DH on NutriSystem, and she is still on it herself, but then I monitor her bank account and see things like Papa Dan's Pizza and I wonder (she rarely carries cash and uses her debit card). I know she is still working out, but I'm not sure where she is weight-wise. We discussed it a week or so ago--she said she had lost and then regained what she had gained on the cruise so she might be a bit depressed about that. I know she has at least 20 pounds more to lose. She's also no longer posting in the NutriSystem forum, so I can't "monitor" what she's up to. ((sigh))

Andrea~although right now I am on a bona fide diet, I don't consider myself a maintainer on a short leash. As far as I'm concerned, maintenance is every bit as hard as losing weight and one needs to constantly monitor what one eats. It doesn't mean I can't splurge now and then--I just need to compensate for that splurge.
Old 08-07-2012, 03:29 PM   #279  
Staying the Same

S/C/G: 160+/116-120/maintainer

Height: 5'5

Way up in the high 120s, still recovering from weekend away. The fish and chips were definitely worth it.

I too have been wondering about Bright Angel. I sometimes think that I would prefer being overweight to eating that little on a daily basis.
krampus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 08:04 AM   #280  
Recovering Pantry Pest

Back down to 149.5. So far, I've spent 50% of the month under 150. This *could* be the first week with an average under 150; I was at 150.3 at the end of week 4, on Friday. I'm watching my trend by averaging my daily morning weights on the Saturday thru Friday week. I think I'll add that progress to my signature to remind myself that yes, this is working.
Old 08-08-2012, 08:09 AM   #281  

Good job, Becky.
Old 08-08-2012, 09:14 AM   #282  
Recovering Pantry Pest

Thanks, bargoo. I decided to do it this way because it's more like imagining where I want to be, and what life would be like there, and then living it. I'm "faking it til I make it" down to a lower number, even if it takes another 45 years.
Old 08-08-2012, 09:24 AM   #283  

I'm still hovering around 152. I think this "taking weekends off" thing isn't the best strategy.
Old 08-08-2012, 10:10 AM   #284  

Quote:
Originally Posted by ICUwishing View Post
Thanks, bargoo. I decided to do it this way because it's more like imagining where I want to be, and what life would be like there, and then living it. I'm "faking it til I make it" down to a lower number, even if it takes another 45 years.
Whatever works for you is the way to go. We may all get there by a different route but the important thing is we get there.
Old 08-08-2012, 10:19 AM   #285  

Quote:
Originally Posted by alinnell View Post
I'm still hovering around 152. I think this "taking weekends off" thing isn't the best strategy.
Allison, many years ago I went on a diet and lost a lot of weight, i decided (all on my own) that the way to maintain that loss would be be to diet all week and eat whatever I wanted on weekends. That absolutely did not work, it looked good on paper but was not . I gradually regained everything plus some. I now diet pretty much most of the time with an occasional treat. I have learned a few things, I can have a piece of pie at a restaurant or at a friends home but I cannot have a whole pie in my house and as far as baking a pie, perish the thought ! I do dine in restaurants, depending on the restaurant I will probably have salmon and steamed vegies and a desert.
Don't mean to be preachy, just sharing a couple of things I have learned, the hard way.